15: Truth... Almost

Tied To A Dino (My SLY Fox SEQUEL)

The restaurant is unexpectedly not full of costumers that day when Yerin looked from the outside of the wide glass door. Onew’s restaurant is usually always full, good thing it isn’t today when she came because she never liked eating in a crowded place.

 

She smiled, finally entering. She had a meeting somewhere near the place so she decided to stop by for a while to eat lunch and also hoping to have some chat with Onew if ever he’s there. Her eyes scanned around the place, finding a certain squishy man until she saw Onew behind the cashier.

 

“Oppa!”, she called as she approaches him, waving her hands.

 

Onew looked at him and brightly smiled. “Oh Yerin-ah. Annyeong. What are you doing here?”

 

“I was somewhere near here so I stopped by for lunch.”

 

“I see. Then let’s eat together.”, he said then called a staff to replace him of taking care of the cashier. He led her to a table far from the other customers and called a waiter for their order. She wasn’t surprise anymore that after a few minutes, their table got field by lots of chicken, mostly fried.

 

“It’s my treat since you visited me.”, Onew smiled childishly then immediately took a bite from a piece of chicken.

 

“Thanks oppa.”, she smiled back and happily watched Onew devour the pieces of chicken in front of him like he has never eaten chicken before.

 

“So, where’s Jonghyun now?”, Onew asked.

 

“He said he was with Taemin. Maybe by now he’s already at the office.”, she answered as they continue to eat.

 

Onew looked up at her. “Jonghyun and Taemin. Haven’t you noticed that they got closer these past days? They’re always with each other and talking.”

 

She nodded. “Yeah. I have noticed that. Well maybe they’re just into same interest lately.”

 

He agreed then grinned. “Do you know who else have gotten closer lately?”

 

“Who?”, she asked.

 

“Key and Jisoo.”, he chuckled. “You know that vacation is a bit of help.”

 

“Oh!”, she sat up straight when she got reminded of something by the mention of the vacation. “Onew oppa. I have something to ask.”

 

Onew nodded and just looked at her while blinking, waiting for her to speak.

 

“About Donghae. You know him, right?”, Yerin asked.

 

Onew tilted his head sidewards, looking at her. “Donghae? As in Jonghyun’s cousin?”.

 

She nodded with a smile of relief that Onew knows who is she talking about. “Yes. It’s actually Amber that mentioned him to me. And she said you’re close with each other.”

 

“Yeah we’re close. You know, older line...”, he smiled sheepishly at his statement, then asked.“But why suddenly ask?”

 

She moved her chair closer to him for a better position. “She had mentioned something about the problem between Jonghyun and Donghae but she didn’t give details. She just said they became distant from each other and it looks like until now, they haven’t made up with each other yet. I just want to help so…”, she look at Onew with pleading eyes.

 

He chuckled and patted her head. “Arasseo. You don’t have to use those eyes on me. It’s nothing big anyway, so I think there’s nothing wrong on telling you.”

 

Yerin’s eyes glowed that Onew agreed on sharing it to her. She sat properly and readied her ears to listen to him. Actually, after talking to Amber, she have realized that they’re really close before so it will be great to restore something between them that has been lost because of a simple problem.

 

Onew started. “From what I know, Donghae likes a friend, which is also Amber’s friend. The thing is that when they introduced her to Jonghyun, that girl ended up liking him instead. But because Donghae knows that Jonghyun never cared about it, it has not become a problem between them. Then one day, just a few days after Donghae’s birthday, Donghae suddenly became distant to Jonghyun. He won’t talk to him. Jonghyun doesn’t have any idea why, so of course he felt mad as well. Actually, even us doesn’t know because Donghae refused to tell us. But you know, I have a feeling it has something to do with the girl, I’m just not sure exactly what.”

 

Yerin slowly nodded, understanding the story she has been told. “But it has been years ago, why haven’t they made up yet if it’s just something simple?”

 

“Donghae left and stayed in Japan. We haven’t got any contact to him. But I heard he’s back here again but no one knows exactly where.”, Onew said.

 

Yerin got quiet for a while, taking time to analyze everything. Then she sighed like it has a big effect on her. “It sound simple but it’s complicated. Donghae seemed really got affected. Maybe he really loves the girl.”

 

“He really does. He used to tell me everything until that happened. Aigoo, these dinosaur cousins.”, he sighed.

 

The conversation went on and on until both of them have to go back to their own schedules. Onew has to go somewhere and Yerin has to head back to the office too but before going back, she decided to stop by at Jonghyun’s office too since it’s also near the place. She bought snacks first then drove to Jonghyun’s office.

 

 

 

-------------------

 

 

 

“Yah hyung!”, Taemin snapped his fingers in front of Jonghyun’s face, getting him out of his trance.

 

Jonghyun jumped on his seat and blinked a few times looking at him. “Wae?”

 

“I’ve been talking and asking here for centuries but you weren’t listening.”, Taemin rolled his eyes.

 

Jonghyun just roughly ran his hands through is face before letting out a deep sigh. For a moment, that time, he forgot that Taemin was there with him in his office because his mind is occupied again. It is actually occupied all the time. But it has become normal to Taemin these past few days since he knows everything and the very reason why his hyung is often spacing out.

 

“So… since Minki already knows. How was it?”, Taemin asked.

 

“What ‘how is it’?”, Jonghyun asked back.

 

“You know, being a father. How’s the experience?”

 

Jonghyun heavily rested his back to his swivel chair. “Experience? You know it’s hard to even think of it as an experience in my situation. Everything is hard.”

 

Taemin sighed, understanding him. “I know everything is hard that’s why we really have to spill this out, especially to Yerin noona. Everything will get even harder if it took longer.”

 

“Do you think I don’t want to tell her?!”, he glared at the younger boy. “All this time, that’s what I’ve been wanting to do. If it’s just as easy eating, why would I make it last longer?”

 

Taemin got quiet on his outburst and he took note on his head to be more careful with the words he will be saying because Jonghyun is extra sensitive at this time. The room got quiet for a while until Taemin spoke again.

 

“Hyung. How old is Minki?”

 

“Three years old.”, Jonghyun answered.

 

Taemin did some calculations on his mind then after a while. His eyes widen as if he have discovered something and he looked at Jonghyun. “Minki is three. You and noona is also for three years already. Then does that mean—“.

 

“Of course not!”, he cut what Taemin was about to say. “If you’re thinking that it happened after I and Yerin got together, it is definitely not like that. I’m telling you I’m sure of it.”, he cleared. That is actually the first thing he thought after he knew that Minki is already three years old. He tried to remember everything and luckily, he found out that it all happened before something started between him and Yerin. It was a relief for him because technically, he can think that he didn’t cheat on Yerin, at least, and that lessens his guilt.

 

“It looks like it’s a big relief for you.”, Taemin said.

 

“It is.”, Jonghyun agreed. They were still going to converse more when his phone suddenly rang. He reached for his phone placed on his desk in front of him and his face immediately darkened seeing who is the caller. Taemin had already guessed who was it so he nodded, telling Jonghyun to answer it.

 

Jonghyun did so and let out a sigh as soon as he accepted the call. "Hyejin. We already talked about not calling me unless it's really necessary, right? You know the situation."

 

"I know, I'm sorry. But I just can't handle Minki, he's insisting to see you.", Hyejin explained.

 

His brows furrowed. "No way. I mean, you know it's not that easy to do. Tell him I'll see him some other time, if I can."

 

"I already told that to him several times but he won't listen. He's even having tantrums."

 

Jonghyun's hands ran through his hair and pulled it out of frustration. He seriously wanted to shout because Hyejin's call is obviously not in the right timing but she's technically not doing something wrong either.

 

Taemin have noticed this and he sensed that the call won't be ending soon so he stood up and mouthed to Jonghyun that he'll be going first. When Taemin already got out, Jonghyun stood up from his chair and stood before the big glass windows, looking outside.

 

"You should know how to handle him. He's been with you for three years.", he said, trying to sound calm.

 

"He usually doesn't act like this, so I'm not used to it. Eotteokhae?", she asked then a sound of whining kid on the background was heard.

 

He sighed. "Give him the phone.", He heard talking on the background and a few seconds later, Minki was already on the line.

 

"Appa. Can I go to you now? Umma keeps saying I can't.", Minki said and he's obviously pouting as he speak.

 

Jonghyun felt weird again that he has been called appa, and weirder when it is paired with 'umma'. He's still not used to it and he's not sure when he would be. He sometimes think that it's hard to really act as a father to Minki because he wasn't the son he was wanting. How he just wish that Minki was his and Yerin's.

 

"Minki, please listen to her. You really can't go now. I'm very busy. You know I'm working right?", he explained carefully.

 

"But appa...", Minki still continued to whined.

 

He sighed and gathered his patience first, then turned around to go back to his seat before talking. "Please listen. Appa is--", he then got frozen.

 

-----------------------------------

 

Yerin was greeted by the staffs when she entered the building and she greeted back. She rode the elevator and then headed to the desk of Jonghyun's secretary.

 

"Annyeonghaseyo ma'am.", the secretary greeted her with full smile.

 

She smiled back. "Annyeonghaseyo. Is Jonghyun there?"

 

"Yes. Sir Taemin is also there. You can go straight to his office."

 

"Okay, I will thank you.", she nodded then started walking to the Jonghyun's office and on her way, he saw Taemin, who seemed to have just got out from where she was heading now.

 

"Noona!", Taemin called and rushed to her. "Why are you here? Hyung said you were out for a meeting."

 

"Yeah. I'm just going to see him before going back to the office.", she said.

 

"Wae?", Taemin asked.

 

Her brows furrowed a bit but she was still smiling as Taemin is acting weird. "What 'wae'? Do I have to have reasons?"

 

"U-uh... No. O-of course not.", Taemin chuckled nervously. He left from the office that Jonghyun is talking at Hyejin at the phone. He got nervous, thinking that in most drama scenes, a sin was being caught by accidentally hearing a phone conversation. But he also thought that it might become more obvious if he'll prevent her from going to the office. He just sighed, hoping that nothing unexpected might happen.

 

"O-kay. Noona, I'll go first. Hyung is inside.", Taemin pointed at the closed door of Jonghyun's office.

 

"Ne. Leave safely~.", she bowed for goodbye then waved her hands as Taemin walks away from her. After, she turned and continued heading to where she was supposedly going.

 

She finally reached the closed door and immediately put on her bright smile as she opens the door, but what welcome her is just Jonghyun's back while he is facing at the glass window. He holds his phone up to his ear as he talks so she walked in quietly to not disturb his phone conversation. He seemed to be very 'onto' his phone that he still can't notice that someone already went in. So as Yerin waits, she just stood there, unintentionally hearing how Jonghyun converse at the phone.

 

"Give him the phone.", she heard him said after letting out a sigh.

 

Jonghyun paused talking, listening to the other line. Though she can't see how is Jonghyun expression that moment because his back is facing her, she can clearly tell that whoever it is that he is talking to, it is stressing him so much, based on the tiredness on his voice and also the amount of sigh he lets out.

 

"Minki, please listen to her. You really can't go now. I'm very busy. You know I'm working right?", he talked again.

 

Her head tilted a bit, wondering who he was really talking to because by the way he speaks, it seems like it is a kid who is on the other line.

 

"Please listen. Appa is--", he was stopped from what he is going to say when he turned around, facing her direction, on the middle of his sentence. His eyes immediately landed on her, and widened in shock, then he ended the call right away. Yerin found it a bit weird that he seemed to be very shocked that she was there, and it was like he even got scared.

 

"Y-Yerin.", he called, almost like a mumble.

 

"Oh? Why did you end the call already? It seems like you weren't done talking yet.", she looked at him suspiciously. "Who was that? Why are you talking about 'appa'. Whoever that appa is."

 

"I-It is... I-It's...", 'Jonghyun tried to talk but failed because fear is eating him up. He got hell shocked and scared when he saw Yerin standing in front of him when he turned around. He didn't notice that she came and he has no idea how long has she been there and how much words from him have she heard.

 

"H-how long h-have you been there?", he stuttered, asking.

 

"I just came. You were talking on the phone so I decided not to disturb you. So, who was that, and what's with the 'appa' thing?", she interrogating but not in a pressuring way. Just plain curiosity.

 

Jonghyun can't answer right away because his mind is battling on what he should say. He is actually already considering to tell the whole real situation to her but fear is the biggest thing that contrasts that idea. He feels like it is already the right time but seeing Yerin in front of him, imagining how would she react and how much can she be hurt, he feels like backing out.

 

He closed his eyed tight before his feet started to step and went close to her. He stopped exactly right in front of her. He gently cupped his face ad make her look up at him. Yerin did so and she had that confused look on her.

 

"Yerin, listen...", he said softly, rubbing his thumb on his cheek. "Please listen and try to understand this.". Yerin nodded slowly and just looked back at him.

 

"I... I actually...", he started.

 

He can feel his words being trapped in his throat and he feels like choking, specially when he focuses on Yerin's eyes. Her eyes was flashing anticipation for what he is going to say, but along with that, there was fear peaking out. That, for him, was like a needle pricking his heart. It's pain for his soul and that moment, he knows he can't handle to see those fears in her eyes turn into tears.

 

He suddenly pulled Yerin in to a tight hug. "Gosh. I love you.", he mumbled, kissing her hair repeatedly.

 

They stayed like that as Yerin can't react right away because she became dazed and confused. Then finally her hands slowly went up to Jonghyun's back to hug him back. "Y-Yah... Is that what I am supposed to listen to and understand?"

 

"Yes. That's just it.",Jonghyun just chose to nod. That wasn't definitely the right time.

 

She finally managed to chuckle and she pushed him a bit away from her. "My gosh. You made me nervous."

 

"Im sorry.", he kissed her on the forehead then, led her to the couch on one side of the room.

 

"So why are you here?", he asked, swiping away some strands away from Yerin's face as he have her sitting on his lap.

 

"I just visited you for a while before I go back to the office.", she clung her arm on his neck so she could sit stable on his lap, "I had lunch with Onew oppa too before I got here."

 

He just nodded and smiled while looking at her, like a scene where the father is happily listening to what her daughter did. Then mentioning Onew, their conversation earlier and what the story he have told her. This would be the first time she'd be talking about this with Jonghyun because she always forgets about it.

 

"I know I shouldn't be interfering in this matter but since Amber unni told me about this I really got curious."

 

"What is it?", Jonghyun asked.

 

"About your problem with Donghae. Onew oppa already told me what happened.", she said.

 

Jonghyun had a pause hearing about it again. By the mention of the name Donghae, Hyejin and Minki immediately came to his mind because, somehow, all are related.

 

"W-What did Onew hyung told you?", he asked, trying not to be obvious that he is actually getting nervous.

 

"Just some details. How you two were close before then there's this girl between you, and then he suddenly became distant to you for an unknown reason."

 

Jonghyun got even more nervous. The things she was saying right now were actually getting closer and closer to the secret he is hiding; Hyejin being the girl she is talking about, the girl that Donghae likes.

 

"Onew oppa said no one knows why he suddenly got mad to you. But you know he has this suspicion that it has something to do with that girl. I think maybe because she totally rejected him already because of you.", she said.

 

Realizations came to Jonghyun. He haven't realized it until now, that Yerin gave him the idea. He doesn't think that just because of Hyejin's simple rejection, Donghae got mad. His mind finally got the real reason behind it: that Donghae might have become that seriously mad at him, to the point that he haven;t talked to him until now, is because he might have found out that he was with Hyejin the whole night, and right at the night of his birthday celebration.

 

He wanted to punch himself right now. 'How can I not thought of that. Such a stupid ', he told himself. But half of him is also blaming his cousin for just keeping quiet that time and not even telling him what really happened that night. He, himself, doesn't not even know. It might not have become his problem now if he knew earlier.

 

He sighed. "Let's just not talk about it.", he said, not wanting get closer to the truth. Not for now.

 

"You haven't made up until now, right? It's been years, you should make a move now.", she suggested him.

 

"Enough. Let's not talk about it.", he sounded calm as he try to stop her.

 

"But you really have to--"

 

"I SAID ENOUGH!", his voice roared all over the room. He became loud that Yerin rose up from sitting on his lap and backed a way a little.

 

Seeing her scared of his action, made him calm again and back to senses. He held his forehead, mentally scolding himself for what he have done.

 

"Baby...", he stood up and immediately but gently engulfed her in his arms. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to shout like that."

 

"I-I understand. Sorry for making you angry.", she kept her head down.

 

"I wasn't angry. I just had to make you stop.", he chuckled softy and tighten his hug on her more as he kiss the top of her head.

 

 

 

 

Jonghyun watched Yerin leave his office and soon, she was already out and he's all alone again in that room. He was glad despite of what happened a while ago, he managed to make her happy just before she left by promising her a date tomorrow.

 

But he, himself, cannot be completely happy for their date tomorrow. Because tomorrow, situations will all be twisted as he will be doing the right thing already tomorrow. His conversation with her earlier just made him realize that she is getting close to the truth unintentionally and anytime, it could all just spill out accidentally so he has to act faster. He knows he cannot hide it forever.