ix. The Perfect Goodbye

BaekYeol Drabble Collection (On Hiatus)

Baekhyun has been thinking about this a lot. This concept of saying goodbye, and what exactly would constitute as a 'perfect' goodbye, when there is no such thing as perfection. A goodbye, in itself, is something one would say to someone if they were going in separate directions, something more permanent, something quite sad and almost unavoidable a lot of the time.

Why is the vocalist thinking about such a depressing topic? He, himself, doesn't even know. With a sigh, Baekhyun rolls on to his back, and just stares at the ceiling, like it could give him answers.

"Baekhyun-ah," Junmyeon's face, an expression of confusion upon it, appears above him. "Why are you lying on the floor?"

"Hyung, can I ask you a question?" Baekhyun asks instead. "And the floor helps me think."

"Uh, right…" Junmyeon frowns slightly before sitting down next to him. "So, what's your question?"

"…What do you think would be a perfect goodbye?" The younger male replies, tilting his head to look at Junmyeon out of his peripheral vision. "Like how can a goodbye be 'perfect?'"

"Um…" Junmyeon purses his lips and tilts his head slightly. "You mean like saying goodbye to a lover?"

Baekhyun nods before turning on to his stomach and looking up at the other expectantly. "So?"

"Well…" Junmyeon looks down at the other. "The perfect goodbye would probably be never having to say goodbye."

"Okay…" Baekhyun stares at him before shifting himself until he's on his knees. "But then you can't call that a goodbye?"

"Why are you even asking me this, Baekhyun-ah?"

"Out of curiosity," He replies. "Well, thanks anyways, hyung."

And before Junmyeon can say anything else Baekhyun walks away, in search of someone else who may be able to answer his question. Many of the members are out, for extra practice or they just didn't feel like staying here.

"Baekhyun hyung!" Baekhyun turns at the sound of Zitao's voice calling him. "Help!"

"What's wrong, Tao?" Baekhyun asks as he enters their shared bedroom.

"I want to eat this… this thing…" He looks confused as he holds up something wrapped in plastic. "But I'm not sure what it is, and I don't know if it's safe to eat…"

Baekhyun takes the item in question and reads the label, before smiling and handing it back to the other.

"It's just chocolate, Tao," He replies, sitting down next to the other. "I thought your Korean was getting better."

"It is!" Tao protests loudly, ripping the plastic open and taking a big bite. "This… this is… different."

"Uh huh," Baekhyun smirks before grabbing the other's chocolate and taking a bite himself. "Hey, can you help me with something?"

"Okay," Tao replies easily before snatching the chocolate back rather rudely. "Go ahead."

"What do you think a perfect goodbye would mean?" The older male isn't sure why he's asking Tao of all people, but everyone has an opinion.

"A… perfect… goodbye?" He stares at Baekhyun as he takes another bite. "Is there really such a thing?"

"I don't know," The older male shrugs. "I was hoping someone could give me a good answer…"

"I know!" Tao exclaims suddenly, a weird little smile on his face that Baekhyun couldn't quite figure out. "Like if someone were to give me food when they say goodbye?"

"So, if your lover gave you food, you would just let he or she go?" Baekhyun raises an eyebrow skeptically. "Then were you dating he or she just for the food?"

"…Um, no?" Tao frowns as he thinks about this. "I… didn't really think this through…"

"You and your food, Tao," Baekhyun says with a sigh as he gets up. "Thanks anyways, I guess."

"Sorry," The younger male replies as he shrugs and goes back to his chocolate.

"Don't worry about it…"

Now what? Baekhyun wonders briefly before seeing Kyungsoo walk by. "Kyungsoo-yah!"

"Hyung?" Kyungsoo says before tilting his head slightly. "Something wrong?"

"Help me with something?" Baekhyun asks. "Please?"

"Sure," The younger male replies with a smile. "Come talk to me while I cook."

The older vocalist follows the other into the kitchen before sitting down in a chair off to the side while Kyungsoo starts going through the fridge.

"What do you need help with?" Kyungsoo asks as he takes out a couple things.

"I have a question, Kyungsoo-yah," Baekhyun says, staring out the window, his head not completely there. "What do you think would be a perfect goodbye?"

The younger male looks at the other, confused, before setting aside whatever had been in his hand and sitting down next to Baekhyun.

"Why are you asking me such a thing, hyung?" Kyungsoo looks truly concerned. "Did something happen between you and Chanyeol? Do you want to break up with him?"

"No, nothing like that, Kyungsoo-yah," Baekhyun replies, taking his attention away from the window. "Just out of curiosity."

"Oh, okay," Kyungsoo sighs in relief. "A perfect goodbye… I guess would be something that's not really over? Like it's a temporary goodbye."

"Hm," Baekhyun frowns slightly, as Kyungsoo goes back to his previously discarded food. "Then can you really call that a goodbye?"

"Well, it'll seem that way," The younger male continues, like you won't know when you'll see them again, so you make a promise to each other until that day. The perfect goodbye would be a temporary one."

"You make a lot of sense, Kyungsoo-yah," The older male says, deep in thought. "I'm going to go ask someone else, and thanks."

"Okay," Kyungsoo tosses some vegetables into a pot before waving at the other. "I'm glad I could help, and I hope you find your answers."

Baekhyun nods before leaving, only to be called back.

"I'll call you when dinner's ready!"

"Okay, thanks."

He heads off to the room that he wonders if he should have started at: Yixing's room. In front of the door, he knocks lightly, but hears no response, so he knocks again.

"Come in." Yixing's voice is quiet, but Baekhyun manages to catch the words.

Opening the door slowly, trying to avoid making unnecessary noise, he looks around to see Yixing smiling and waving before gesturing to Kris, who's asleep on his lap.

"Yixing hyung," Baekhyun whispers as he settles down next to the two of them. "I need your help."

"Sure," The older male replies as he gently runs a hand through Kris' hair. "And you don't need to whisper, he's a deep sleeper."

"Oh okay," Baekhyun speaks a little louder, but nowhere close to his usual volume. "Well, I have a question… and I've already asked Junmyeon hyung, Tao, and Kyungsoo, and only Kyungsoo has given me a somewhat satisfying answer…"

"What's your question?" Yixing asks, tilting his head slightly. "And Tao's not really known for giving good answers."

"I know that now…" Baekhyun pouts a little before placing his head on Yixing's shoulder. "So hyung… what do you think would be a perfect goodbye?"

"A perfect goodbye…" The older male repeats, still running his hand through Kris' hair. "Hmm…"

"Please hyung," Baekhyun whines, looking up at the other. "Help me…"

"A perfect goodbye…" Yixing says again. "I think would be a goodbye that's… mutual."

"Okay, and…?" The younger male waves his hand in front of the other, waiting for him to continue.

"Where neither side feels hurt," Yixing looks down at the man still asleep in his lap. "Where both of you know that it's time to let go. Where a silent agreement is reached before either of you even bring up the topic. That, I think, would be a, if not the, perfect goodbye…"

Baekhyun just stares at the other for a long moment, and he realizes that that is the perfect answer. A goodbye where neither side is hurt. That was probably as close to perfect as one could get when it came to goodbyes.

"Thank you, Yixing hyung," Baekhyun tells him. "I knew I could count on you."

"Glad I could help, Baekhyun-ah."

Just then, the front door sounds, and the younger male sits up immediately.

"Chanyeol?" He says quietly to himself.

Baekhyun takes a moment to wave at Yixing before rushing out of the room and towards the entrance.

"Chanyeol-ah?" He calls again as he rounds the corner. "Is that-…"

Instead he finds himself face to face with Jongin.

"Sorry, hyung," Jongin tells him with a shrug. "It's just me."

"Welcome back, Jongin-ah," Baekhyun forces a smile before turning his attention back to the door. "Why don't you go help Kyungsoo with dinner or something?"

"Okay." The dancer replies with another shrug before leaving the room.

Baekhyun finds a spot just beyond the minefield of shoes and sits down, intent on waiting for Chanyeol to get back. Part of him knows that the only reason he was thinking about the concept of 'the perfect goodbye' was because of Chanyeol's absence.

It's another half an hour before the sound of a key being stuck into the lock can be heard, and Baekhyun stands in anticipation. The door opens, and indeed, it is Chanyeol that walks in, looking tired and sweaty.

"Chanyeol-ah, you're back!" The smaller male exclaims, taking a step forward.

The taller male looks at Baekhyun for a moment before smiling.

"I'm home, Baekhyun-ah."

"Welcome home," The vocalist says, wrapping his arms around the other's neck. "I missed you…"

"I missed you too," Chanyeol whispers as he places his arms around Baekhyun's waist.

The smaller male shifts himself slightly before tilting his head up and kissing the rapper deeply, trying to show him just how much he missed him. And at that moment, when the other kisses him back, Baekhyun knows that he never wants to say goodbye to Chanyeol, even if it is 'the perfect goodbye.'

--------------------------------------------------------

And that's another one. It's awkwardly long lol... like can I even call it a drabble? xD And working on those requests OTL

Thank you so much to everyone that subscribed and commented <3 I love you all!

So until... Friday. ^_^