x. Of Hand Holding and Some Ground Rules

BaekYeol Drabble Collection (On Hiatus)

"Hey, Baekhyun-ah," Chanyeol says as they walk slowly toward their destination. "Can we hold hands?"

"We're in public, Chanyeol-ah…" Baekhyun whispers back as he looks down at the other's larger hand. "Maybe later…"

"Fine," Chanyeol replies, pouting and looking like an overgrown child. "You're no fun."

"What are you, five?" Baekhyun retorts lamely, crossing his arms.

"Meanie!" Chanyeol sticks his tongue out at him before making a hmph noise.

"Wow, did you just call me a meanie?" Baekhyun asks, punching the other playfully. "Last time I checked, we're 22, Park Chanyeol, not preschoolers."

"Hey, you're not much better," Chanyeol snaps, hitting Baekhyun with a punch of his own.

"Let's stop, this is embarrassing…" The vocalist whispers, his eyes darting around, trying to see if anyone saw what happened.

"You know, none of that would have happened if you had just agreed to hold hands."

Baekhyun turns away, trying to pretend that the other's statement wasn't true.

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol are sitting across from each other at the kitchen table. The silence that hangs over them is awkward and tangible.

"Chanyeol-ah…" Baekhyun says finally, his head tilted slightly to one side, his expression rather unreadable. "I think we need to find a line… like ground rules, if you will."

"Rules?" Chanyeol repeats in disbelief. "We're in a relationship, Baekhyun, I'm not your kid or something!"

"Shh," Baekhyun shushes him impatiently, waving a hand in front of the other's face; he just didn't want to wake anyone up, he had specifically waited until all, if not most, of the others were asleep. "I know that, Chanyeol, and I'm not saying you are… but since we're idols and under public scrutiny about ninety percent of the time, I just don't want to give EXO or SM a bad rep or something…"

"What are you saying?" Chanyeol demands, his voice a harsh and strangled whisper. "You know most of what we do can be passed off as fan service, right? Besides, no one will say anything! People like it when members of a group interact, especially you and I…"

"So, are you saying that you just wanted to hold hands for the fans?" Baekhyun frowns. "You know, you always only want to hold hands in public! When we're not outside, you never want to do anything! Are you just using me to gain popularity?"

"I…" Chanyeol's eyes widen, and his hands start to shake. "I can't believe you would even think that… Do you not know me at all?"

"I don't know what to think, Chanyeol," Baekhyun turns his head away. "Sometimes… it just seems that way…"

"So that's what you think of me…" Chanyeol sighs and gets up. "I thought we were closer than that, Byun Baekhyun…"

"I…" Baekhyun opens his mouth to say something, but Chanyeol's already leaving the room. "We are… or used to be…"

 

Never has anything felt so awkward. Chanyeol seems to have made it a point to stay as far away from Baekhyun as possible. When the vocalist is sitting at the back of their van or bus, the rapper always sits at the front, and vice versa. Baekhyun's mad at himself for letting things end up like this, and he's mad at Chanyeol for being so quick to jump to conclusions. What he had said that night, he really hadn't meant, it had been a spur of the moment kind of thing, and he really regrets saying that. Baekhyun wants and needs to apologize, but that's difficult when the person he wants to apologize to is ignoring him.

So, when they finish their schedule for the day and all pile back on to the bus, the vocalist waits for Chanyeol to get on it first before following him. The second that he sits down next to him, the rapper gets right back up and attempts to walk away, but Baekhyun grabs his wrist.

"Please, Chanyeol-ah…" He begs. "Let's talk…"

"There's nothing to talk about." Chanyeol replies rather stubbornly, and Baekhyun isn't surprised with this response.

"Please… at least sit…"

The taller male stares at Baekhyun for a moment before attempting to walk away again, only to have the bus lurch forward, causing him to fall back against the other.

Chanyeol immediately moves himself off of Baekhyun, but still hesitates before finally sitting down next to him.

"Okay, start talking." Chanyeol looks away, his face hard, before crossing his arms.

The smaller male is still wincing from the pain of Chanyeol crashing into him, but at the other's words, he decides to worry about that later.

"Chanyeol-ah…" He whispers, looking at the other. "I'm really sorry…"

Chanyeol's expression softens a little at those words, but he doesn't say anything, so Baekhyun continues speaking.

"I'm sorry," He repeats. "I'm sorry for trying to restrict our relationship. I'm sorry for accusing you of those terrible things. I'm sorry for everything that I said…"

"I'm sorry too," Chanyeol says, uncrossing his arms. "And I forgive you."

A rather comfortable silence falls over them and neither of them move, until Baekhyun feels Chanyeol's head fall on to his shoulder, and loud breathing fill his ears, indicating that he's asleep. Baekhyun smiles to himself as he wraps one of his hands around one of Chanyeol's and holds on tightly. Tilting his head, he leans against the other before closing his eyes. At that moment, with their hands wound together, Baekhyun realizes that he should always agree when Chanyeol wants to, because there isn't a more comforting feeling in the world than to be connected with the one you love.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yay! I've posted 10 drabbles! ^_^; I honestly did not expect so many people to like this... I thought they were really lame and generally stupid, but I guess I was being overly critical of myself again? *shrugs*

Thank you to all the people that have subscribed so far and commented! I love you all! <3

So until the next one! Which would be... Tuesday. =3 This drabble collection might never end lol, but if you ever get tired of them and want me to stop writing them, then let me know. ^_^