It's all about Nero

Locked Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Third person’s POV

     Dara smiled upon seeing the familiar small black bird fly past the classroom and landing on the nearest tree.

     It was only their first day together, but Dara had already felt an unexplainable bond to it. And she knew it had too.

     “Ms. Park, may I know what you are looking at?” the teacher spoke sharply, causing Dara to whip her head to the front. She smiled sheepishly as eyes fixed on her, “A-Ani…it’s nothing.”

     The teacher raised a brow, and turned back to the board.

     Dara huffed, glanced out the window, and fixed her eyes on the board half-heartedly.

     Jiyong lowered his head and turned it to look at Dara. He had seen her watching the bird; Nero, with sparkling eyes. He knew she had grown attached to it, and it had only been a day.

     He sighed softly and narrowed his eyes at the small black figure resting on the branch of a tree outside.

     Nero…will you hurt her?

 

***

 

Dara’s POV

     “I got some peanuts for you~” I sang as I wiggled the packet of roasted peanuts I got from the snack store in the cafeteria in front of Nero who was on the grass in front of me.

     I could feel Jiyong’s judging stare beside me, but of course, I chose to ignore him.

     I poured some of the contents onto my palm as Nero flapped its wings lightly and chirped happily.

     Can crows chirp? I don’t think the cute sound it just made can be considered a caw…anyways, who cares? Definitely not me.

     “Are you hungry?” I smiled softly as I lowered my palm in front of Nero. Nero hopped forward and started to pick up the little peanuts in its beak before swallowing them and chirping happily.

     “I guess you are.” I giggled softly as he started to eat faster.

     “You guys are like lovers.” I heard Jiyong say blankly.

     I turned to him and narrowed my eyes, “I love Nero. He’s my pet now. A dear friend.” “I’m your friend too.” Jiyong couldn’t supress his pout, “And you’re treating me like I’m invisible right now!”

     I smiled faintly and bit down on my lip. “Is someone jealous…?” I teased. Jiyong widened his eyes as a faint shade of red rose onto his cheeks. “Of a bird?” I added as I nudged his shoulder gently.

     “You wish.” He mumbled as he turned away and pulled the cap that he was wearing down so he could cover his face. He folded his arms and leaned back comfortably against the tree trunk.

     “Yeah, I wish.” I replied sarcastically with a small smile. I heard him mumble some incoherent things as I stifled my chuckle.

     I looked down to see Nero looking up at me with huge, anticipating eyes and I smiled wider as my eyes shifted to my empty palm.

     “You want more, don’t you?” I cooed as I poured the rest of the peanuts onto my palm.

     “Hey, Dara.”

     Nero jumped slightly and immediately let out a caw as it turned to face the person who was walking over. Except this time, his caw sounded…threatening and higher-pitched.

     I looked up to see Jaejoong walking towards us with his hands in his pockets, his hair messed up because of the wind.

     “Hey.” I flashed a smile and turned to look at Jiyong.

     The cap was still covering his face, and a gentle smile spread across my face when I picked up the sound of his even breathing and his faint snores.

     He had fallen asleep.

     Jaejoong chuckled, “He’s sleeping huh? Did you guys stay up last night?” “Nope.” I shrugged casually as I looked up at him, “What’s up?”

     Jaejoong looked down at me, and widened his eyes at Nero. “Woah, cool.” He breathed.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter