Covetous. - Reddyhong

T&L's Review Request Shop

Title: 4/5

Titles with only one word are risky--you have to be able to captivate the readers as well as relate the title to your fanfiction.  You’ve managed to do that.
The period at the end is unnecessary, and it takes away from your title.



Description/Foreword: 8/10

A suggestion here: for your description, you could write a little summary--not too long that it will give everything away, mind you--that could draw the audience in better.
Your foreword is simply the definition of covetous--this is very helpful, by the way--and there is nothing wrong with it.



Poster/Background: —/10

There is no poster, so this will not be factored into your final score.



Characterization: 12/15

You don’t go into character detail, but your story still seems to work.  It might have been that way because your story was very short, or it might have been because of the way you wrote it out.  In this case, the reader doesn’t need to know much about any of the characters to grasp the concept.



Spelling/Grammar: 13/20

Are you studying English at the moment?  Your writing is a mix of awkward grammar and a big vocabulary.
Here are some things that you can work on:


1) Capitalization


Starting off with Envy, to Jealousy, before mutating to agony. <--You don’t need to capitalize the “e” in “envy” and the “j” in “jealousy”.


2) Commas


You claimed that love was a journey for two; anything less or more, was just flawed copies of it. <--You don’t need a comma after “more”.  


You say, anything lesser then love, was lonely, anything more, would be lust. <--I will rewrite this sentence for you.  

“You said that anything less than love was lonely, and you said that anything more was lust.”


If commas are difficult for you, then you could try saying your sentences out loud.  Wherever you pause is where you should put a comma.  This won’t work all of the time (there are so many grammar rules that few bother to learn) but it will give you a basis.


3) Verb tense


And now I’m angry, I was. <--This sentence has “I’m” (I am) as well as “was”.  “Am” is present tense (e.g. I am happy).  “Was” is past tense (e.g. I was happy).  


These are just some things that might help you when writing in English.



Flow: 7/10

For some readers--by that, I mean the ones who enjoy/understand Shakespeare-esque literature--this was a very powerful fanfiction.  Sure, it didn’t have the best English, but the content was powerful.
For other readers--myself included--this was a bit difficult to understand the first time.  After reading through it a few more times, I began to understand what you were trying to say.  
I think that what makes the fanfiction choppy is the way you italicized everything.  Sticking to un-italicized and un-bolded is appreciated by many.  Sticking to one font is appreciated as well.



Originality/Plot: 22/25

This is only a oneshot--a short one--so you have to be able to sum up your point in fewer words than a normal length fanfiction.  There are so many sensory details, and that is what brings the plot alive.
The idea of killing the one you love because you can’t be together is a tad bit cliche (on AFF, at least).  
I love your idea of Woohyun trying to justify that killing Sungkyu was the right thing to do.  The way you insert poetry into the fanfiction is uncommon.  
Congratulations.  You’ve scored well here.



Enjoyment: 4/5

Because I am reading some of Shakespeare’s work in English, I really enjoyed seeing a writer thoughtful enough to write like him on this site.  The formatting and grammar threw me off a little bit, however.



Total: 70/90



Bonus: 5/5

Your fic is one of the better angst fics on the site, in my opinion.



Grand Total: 75/90 → 83/100



General Comments:

You could try asking your friends to beta (or proofread) your work before posting it.  The beta will catch all of the mistakes that you might’ve made in the writing process, and you’ll slowly start to remember what to do and what not to do.  My Japanese teacher said that English is the hardest language to learn, so don’t be discouraged if it’s difficult for you.  Remember those things that I pointed out in the grammar section of the review, and keep on writing!
Thank you for requesting a review.  Please remember to credit this shop in your foreword or devote a chapter to this review.