chapter 4: 1st to 10th

Broken Tears

JIYEON POV

Lunch time was nearly over when Eunjung walked over towards me.

She sat down next to me and gave me a pitying look.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“Jiyeon ah, are you alright? Did you hear about…” she started to say.

I stopped her and said, “Yeah, I did. I’m fine.”

Eunjung nodded sadly at me and said, “If you need anyone, I’m here for you, you know that.”

I smiled at her and we got ready for the next class.

Throughout secondary and high school, I did not really have any close friends as I was too busy studying.

Eunjung, was totally opposite of me, fun, bubbly, but she was also alone in school most of the time and that’s how we became friends.

We may not be ‘best’ friends, but she’s always there for me in school.

Narrator POV

One week of tiresome exams has ended and everyone was discussing about the events for the sports day that was about to come.

JIYEON POV

Naturally, everyone made me do events as I was also the best at sport for girls.

In a blink of an eye, I was put down to do 5 events. “Long jump, high jump, 100m, 50m, and 4x100m relay.

I had won gold for all these events last year and this year won’t be different, I hope.

Just then, someone rushed into the class and shouted, “The scores for the exams are out and the placing for each student is put up!”

Everyone rushed out of the classroom to check what their placing was.

 I didn’t want to squeeze in with the crowd but Eunjung pulled me out of the seat to follow her, so I went.

The moment I walked towards the crowd, everyone went silent.

“Jiyeon ah…Why can’t I find your name in the top 5 list?” Eunjung whispered.

What? I thought.

I was first every time, what was she talking about?

I looked at the board and struggled to find my name.

8, 9, and finally 10.

I spotted my name next to the number 10.

I had dropped nine spots.

I looked up to see who number 1 was and it was Hyosung.

Hyosung was always behind me and now, she was first.

I couldn’t believe it.

I walked away from the board with heavy steps and Eunjung following after me.

“Are you okay?” she kept asking.

I nodded.

“I messed up. But its okay, it doesn’t bother me anymore.” I replied.

Eunjung looked even more worried after what I said.

I had always studied like crazy to be top and now I just said it didn’t bother?

Of course she thought I was crazy.

I quickly changed the subject and asked, “So, are you doing any events for sports day this time?”

She smiled, “Of course not. The only thing I will do is cheer for you.”

She always made me smile.

I felt much better and we went back to the class, took out bags and went home.

Lee Joon POV

I stared at Jiyeon as she walked away from the board.

How could she go from 1st to 10th so quickly?

Is she really alright?

My thoughts were cut off when Hyosung grabbed my sleeve and said I had to go celebrate with her as she got 1st this time.

I was happy for Hyosung, but at the same time, I wished I could go comfort Jiyeon.

Couldn’t we just be friends?

Soon, I was at a restaurant with Hyosung, Jieun and Sunhwa.

Hyosung was ordering the food at the counter when Jieun and Sunhwa started to talk with me.