Involved

Can We both Win?

 

NARRATOR

 

“Oh, Eunji-sshi. I’m trying to find the—“

Eunji looked up instantly, just as Myungsoo did. Minah’s eyes met his and Eunji immediately cursed inwardly. He knew the jerk, and judging by his posture, he wasn’t liking the situation.

“O-oppa! Soo-soo Oppa!” Minah gasped, a grin tugging on her lips. Myungsoo pushed back the chair and just stared at her.

“Fancy meeting you here, Kang Minah.” He spoke flatly.

Eunji was at the corner, uneasily tapping her foot.

Minah’s face fell for a moment, but she hid it and smiled. “Well, I was invited by Kris Oppa. Are you friends? Or… more?” She turned to Eunji for an answer.

“What we are doesn’t concern you.” Myungsoo spat back.

Minah bit her lip as she processed the situation. Eunji’s eyes rounded as she chuckled uneasily. “We’re friends, hehe. So… what were you looking for, Minah-sshi?”

Minah was about to speak when Myungsoo walked away, brushing past her shoulder.

“I need to go, Jiji. I’ll call you.”

With that he was gone.

 

It was Monday again, which means more tiring work from University.

“Where’s Jiji? Lay Hyung already arrived though.” Kai muttered. He was with Myungsoo, waiting on the carpark. Just then, an Audi R8 careened swiftly beside them.

Kai’s hair even went with the wind the motion brought.

“Damn Jiji.” He mumbled as he fixed his hair.

Eunji slipped out he car and grinned at the two. “Cool, huh?”

“If you’re trying to kill yourself, yes.” Kai interjected. Eunji rolled her eyes and walked between the two. She uneasily looked at Myungsoo who was walking silently. His mind seemed to be off elsewhere.

Kai was talking non-stop, and she couldn’t bring herself to listen. She was curious, and yeah, partly worried. He's her friend, okay?

“I’ll see you two later then. Cupcake, bye~”

Eunji smiled at Kai who swaggered away after waving his hand. She looked at her side only to see it empty. Myungsoo was already walking inside the room towards their seat.

Eunji’s brows furrowed. It’s not the jerk she knows.

Far from him. And she didn’t like it at all.

 

“Do you want to grab ice cream today, jerk? Jongin’s busy as usual.”

Myungsoo didn’t respond. He remained in his seat, deep in thought. Eunji groaned. Little by little she was getting irked by Myungsoo’s ‘deep-in-thought’ attitude.

She wasn’t accustomed to it. Where is Kim Jerk Myungsoo, anyway?

“Do you  want me to kill her for you?” She sighed exasperatedly. Myungsoo looked up, finally, meeting her eyes. “What?”

“I said, if you want to grab some ice cream.”

Myungsoo nodded absent-mindedly. “Sure, let’s go.” He stood up and slung an arm around her. Eunji rolled her eyes. “You’re supposed to say, ‘what, the pig wants to eat ice cream?’”

Myungsoo blinked. “Huh?”

She sighed again for the nth time. “Nothing, let’s go.”

 

Eunji was talking about how annoying their Philosphy professor was when Myungsoo stopped walking. She turned her head to his direction, irritated.

“Ya jerk—“

“Hi, Eunji-sshi, Soo-soo Oppa.”

Eunji looked at her front and saw Minah in a floral dress and pink cardigan. She was shyly waving at them, weak under Myungsoo’s glare.

Eunji cleared and removed Myungsoo’s arm around her shoulders.

“Hi, Minah-sshi. What are you doing here?” She greeted cheerfully, trying to ease the atmosphere just like the night before.

 

Minah smiled and looked at Myungsoo. “I… I want to talk to Oppa.”

“Oh.” Eunji looked at Myungsoo who was just standing there, emotionless.

Minah bit her lip. “Oppa, can… I talk to you?”

“No.”

Eunji rolled her eyes. She walked away slowly but Myungsoo caught her wrist just in time and pulled her back. “Stay here.” He hissed.

Minah was staring at them.

 She lightly pushed Myungsoo towards Minah, and he shot her an irritated glare. She twitched her lip. “Just go.” She mouthed.

Myungsoo’s fist clenched. “Fine, but Jiji’s coming with us.”

Eunji’s eyes rounded. Minah stared at her with those big doe eyes.

“O-oka—“ Minah answered reluctantly but Eunji was fast enough.

“Oh, Jonginnie! Let’s go get some ice cream!!” Eunji almost smiled in relief as Kai walked in the scene. Myungsoo glared at her for a moment, but she grinned sheepishly.

“I don’t want to.” She hissed at him.

Kai was clueless. He looked at Eunji who was clinging on his arm, then at Myungsoo who was seething, and at Minah who was blinking innocently.

“What’s happe—“ He tried to ask but Eunji dragged him away.

“Let’s go get ice cream!”

She looked at Myungsoo one last time before she left.

“Face it.” She mouthed lastly.

 

Myungsoo exhaled deeply and faced Minah as soon as they were left alone. She smiled at him.

“I missed you, Oppa.”

His jaw clenched. He just looked at her. “What do you want to say?”

“I… I…”

“You fooled me, Kang Minah. You used me. You treated me like crap.” He hissed, emphasizing each word. His fist was now balled. Better be straight to the point, he thought.

Minah bit her lip and stepped closer to him. “Oppa, I came to say sorry.”

“If you said that before, I could’ve forgiven you. But you left. Just like that.” He stepped away, maintaining enough distance between them.

Minah’s hands trembled. Tears started b her eyes. “I’m so… so sorry Oppa… I wanted to talk to you but… I couldn’t. I hated myself. I couldn’t face you, I was afraid.”

Myungsoo looked at her as tears lined her cheek. He felt pained seeing her like that, after all, they grew up together.

“The attention I got was not right, Oppa. I hurt you, and it hurt me too. I realized it late, because I knew you wouldn’t want to see me again..” She trembled, slightly choking on her own tears.

Myungsoo exhaled, fighting the urge to comfort her.

“I-if you know I wouldn’t want to see you again, why are you here?”

She bit her lip as she wiped her tears with a hanky.

“To apologize. I’m really sorry, Oppa. I regret everything, and I miss you so much. You were there most of my life, and I hate myself for doing that to you. Please.”

Myungsoo stepped away again.

“I… I don’t know.” He muttered before turning away.

 

Kai’s eyes widened as he listened on his phone. Eunji looked at him questioningly.

“But dude, you rarely drink, but sure. I'll call them for you. But then again, I think they already know you.” Kai mumbled, and soon he placed the phone back on his pocket. Eunji looked at him for an explanation.

“It’s Myungsoo.” Kai started.

“W-what happened?”

Kai sighed. “He wants me to get him in this club, because I have connections.”

“Is he planning to…?”

“He wants to drink.” Kai finished. Eunji wiped her lip and stood up. She grabbed Kai’s wrist and pulled him out the shop. “Let’s go get him.”

“W-wait.” Kai fumbled, being dragged by this girl.

 

_______________________________________________