Wannabe Hero

Can We both Win?

 

 

 

NARRATOR

 

“I’m your… what?!”

Myungsoo shrugged. “You owe me your life. Now, be my slave forevaaaaaaar!” He spread his hands in the air, smiling like a retard.

Eunji scowled and walked ahead. Who wants to be a slave to a retard anyway?

Soon enough, he felt Myungsoo’s heavy arm on her shoulders. “Jiji, I’m really thristy.” He muttered. Eunji shrugged his hand off and trudged to the cafeteria.

“Hey cupcake!” Kai grinned. He was alone at the table, which was unusual. Eunji sat beside him and leaned her head on his shoulder. “You bastard.” She mumbled, eyes closed.

“Yeah, you bastard.” Myungsoo echoed as he plopped across the two. Kai chuckled and lifted her head up, ruffling her hair.

“What happened? Why are you two suddenly calling me a bastard?”

Eunji spoke, eyes still closed. “Because you are.”

“Because your bestfriend here almost died yesterday without you even knowing.” Myungsoo spoke naonchalantly as he popped a candy to his mouth.

Kai’s eyes widened. “D-died? What?!”

“Bait of the riot.” Myungsoo explained, twirling a ballpen on his long fingers. Kai’s mouth hung open as he processed the information.

Few seconds later, he hugged Eunji tight.

“I told you it was dangerous to walk alone outside campus, Jiji!” He cried, squeezing her tiny figure on his arms. Eunji’s lip twitched as she pushed him away.

“What can I do? I was bored.”

Kai looked at her pointedly. “That’s not an explanation.”

“Myungsoo arrived, no worries.”

Myungsoo huffed on his seat and hit his chest. “Yeah, I’m her savior. Her hero. Right, Jiji? Tell him I’m right. Tell him, tell him, tell him!”

Eunji just rolled her eyes. “Oh please.”

“Okay Jiji, buy water for the three of us.” Myungsoo declared in a deep voice. Kai looked at Myungsoo with sharp eyes. “Why are you letting the only girl buy our drinks, dude?”

“She owes me.” Myungsoo shrugged and grinned at Eunji. 

Eunji sighed and stood up.

Myungsoo grinned triumphantly as Eunji obeyed. His eyes scanned the room and soon landed on the long line for the drinks, which was mostly occupied by boys. His eyes darted to Eunji walking towards the line.

A girl lining up with those kinds of guys? Uh-oh.

A sigh escaped his lips as he ran to her.

 

 

Eunji’s POV

 

A hand held my wrist. I stopped, looking at Myungsoo who was twitching his lip. He pulled me away from the line and towards our place.

“Fine. I’ll… buy.” He muttered, looking away.

I furrowed my brows. This jerk is bipolar.

Really bipolar, like he could be in a museum.

 I looked at him, confused. “I thought you…”

“Just go back there with Jongin, dammit.”

I backed away and held my hands in mid-air. “Okay, chill.”

 

“What happened to him?” I asked Jongin as I plopped back beside him. He was smiling, as if he knew something I didn’t. I really get that feeling though.

“Ya!”

He looked at me, and smiled that weird meaningful smile. “He’s just being himself.”

“Bipolar?”

Jongin blinked. “Uh.. yeah. Maybe.”

 

“You invited her here?”

Kris shook his head. “Yeye forced me. I can’t do anything.”

“B-but it’s supposed to be just us three tonight! It's our own movie night, Ge!” Lay protested, glaring at the elder male across the room.

Kris placed his book down and glared back.

“I had no choice, Yi Xing.”

“I hate you gege.”

“Feeling’s mutual, didi.”

 

Lay munched on the popcorn, a frown on his face as he sat on one of the plush couches. Kris was already setting up the movie.

Eunji entered the movie room and threw her bag on the floor. She kicked her flats to the side and plopped beside Lay. “I’m home, geges.”

“Of course you are. But it would’ve been good if you didn’t come home.” He replied, still glaring at Kris’ back. Eunji’s brows furrowed. “What’s happening here?” She asked, loud enough for Kris to hear.

Kris faced her and looked at Lay who was still sulking. The elder male sighed.

“The date Yeye set me up with… she’s coming tonight.”

Lay grumbled upon hearing it.

Eunji tilted her head. “That’s… cool.”

“We don’t know her at all, mei.” Lay raised a finger. Eunji shrugged. “We are going to get to know her. That’s the point of her coming here, Ge.”

“Finally, someone who understands.” Kris mumbled.

Lay snorted. “Still. You know I like movie nights being private.”

“Grow up.” Kris spat out. Lay sunk on his seat and remained silent.

 

“Kris Oppa, good evening.”

A girl with long wavy hair in a sequined mullet top and pencil skirt entered the room assisted by the butler. Kris stood up and welcomed her with his signature cold greeting.

“Hello. You came.”

“Of course, Grandpa Yi asked me to come.” She smiled.

Lay snorted, earning him another glare from Kris.

Eunji stood up and pranced towards the girl. She was again being the good old polite cousin, smiling as she approached the two.

“Hello, I’m Eunji.” She greeted cheerfully, extending her hand.

The girl looked at her head to toe and looked at Kris. The xtended hand was ignored completely, so Eunji just awkwardly placed it back on her side.

“I didn’t know you invited someone else, Oppa.”

“She doesn’t need to be invited.” Lay replied from his seat, his voice thick with disdain.

Kris held Eunji’s arm and pulled her close. “Oh, Minah, this is Jia Li, or Eunji. She’s our cousin.”

Mihan's eyes widened in recognition. Eunji just smiled there awkwardly.

“The only Yi granddaughter. The heiress from China.” Lay pointed out, not even looking as he spoke.

Minah’s mouth parted slightly. “Oh… It’s a pleasure to meet you, Y-young Miss.”

“Just… Eunji. Hello Minah.” Eunji smiled.

 

Minah sat beside Kris as the sci-fi movie began playing. Lay moved closer to Eunji and whispered. “I don’t like her.”

“She’s fine, Ge. Be good.” Eunji whispered back.

Lay rolled his eyes under the dim lighting.

Kris looked at the two pointedly. “You two, behave. Movie is starting.”

Lay sighed, Eunji chuckled. 

No one wanted to anger the dragon, of course.

 

______________________________________________________