Let Go

Can We both Win?

NARRATOR

 

“Gosh let’s do that again!” Eunji walked in their house, trying to dry her long hair with a face towel. Myungsoo followed behind, his face distorted. He was hungry as hell. Eunji won’t let him eat, they just went to all water rides possible.

And that made him tired. The girl can’t swim, of course he had to be there.

Oh how she owed him.

“Where have you been?” Yi Fan greeted them at the end of the staircase. His face showed it all, he was pissed. Eunji’s eyes widened as she realized something.

She never touched her phone since morning.

“.” She cursed lowly.

Myungsoo bit his lip. “We went to a water park, hyung.”

“I can see that.” Kris muttered with his monotonous voice, eyeing Eunji’s wet hair and Myungsoo’s slightly damp shirt. “Without even telling us.”

“I told Kai.” Myungsoo said again. Kris shot him a look and he backed away. Okay, this is cousin-time, he needs to go. A hand grabbed his wrist and he fliched, but it was just kai.

He grinned at Myungsoo. “Let’s go inside the study. Lay Hyung’s playing this really funny movie!” He whispered.

Myungsoo stood still. “B-but..”

“Let the dragon take care of the lamb.” Kai chuckled and pulled him inside.

 

“G-ge…” Eunji looked down, avoiding his fiery gaze. Wow he really is scary. And intimidating, if that counts as scary too.

“I-Is it wrong that I’m opening up to someone?”

Eunji’r brows furrowed. She looked at Kris who had a troubled face. She tilted her head in confusion. “Aren’t you gonna… scold me?”

“For what? Okay maybe for being absent you brat.” He shrugged and pulled her inside their lounge room. He let her sit on the couch as he took the seat across her.

“I’m worried, mei.”

Eunji tried to process the situation. Kris wasn't angry, he just wanted to talk.

“Opening up? Aside from me and Yi Xing Ge, who…?” She trailed off, somehow unsure of how to finish her question.

Kris pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Minah.”

Eunji sat up. “M-Minah?”

Kris lifted his head to look at her. Eunji quickly composed herself. “You… like her?”

He rolled his eyes at the word ‘like’. “That’s too far, mei. You know I’m not good at knowing people. I don’t… open up. But I seem to be opening up.”

“R-really?”

“Hmm.”

Eunji bit her lip. “That’s… good. I mean, you should have friends. I think she really likes to know you.”

“So it’s not bad?”

Eunji pursed her lips. “I think it’s not. Just… know her before fully opening your whole self to her.”

Kris took some time to seep in her words. A soft smile replaced the thin line his lips created, and his eyes showed gratitude.

“Thanks, mei. I know you’re the person I need to talk to.”

Eunji walked out the room, her mind mixed with different thoughts. She herself doubted what she said, and she felt like bad for it. She should be, after all, the good encouraging girl.

But this just seems to be… off.

 

 

 

 

 

“How about that ramyun shop after school?” Kai suggested. Eunji grinned and clapped her hands. “I’m dying for some ramyun these days.”

“I want ice cream though.” Myungsoo mumbled.

Eunji scoked his arm. “We can get one after ramyun!”

Kai chuckled, ruffling her hair. “That’s really… gluttonous.”

Eunji just smiled sheepishly. Kai shrugged and slung an arm around her. “Well, even if you become a big fatass bloated ig, you’d still be my cupcake. And I love you for being mine.” He chuckled.

Myungsoo looked away. Kai’s words… they just sound so real.

Eunji, however, reacted differently. She rolled her eyes and comfortably walked beside him, not even bothered. She tried to find those fluttering in her heart, that tingling on her fingers that Kai made her feel, but it was… nowhere to be found.

She bit her lip.  Is she really moving on then?

Myungsoo walked ahead of the two. Maybe Kai does like her. And he wouldn’t want to be the wall to that possibility. This is what she wants right?

Maybe she can get her happy ever after, he thought.

He didn’t even think of himself.

 

“Myung we’ll get ice cream, huh?” Eunji poked Myungsoo’s cheek endlessly, trying to get him to say yes or nod. But Myungsoo was focused on his bowl of ramyun.

Kai chuckled as Eunji went back to sit beside him.

“He’ll explode if you continue, you know.” Kai said.

Eunji blew a raspberry. “Jerk you’re being a real jerk.”

“Hmm.” Myungsoo mumbled as he slurped his noodles.

He wasn’t in the mood. Damn he was getting really cranky.

 

“Oppa, Soo-soo Oppa!”

The trio looked up at the panting Minah who just dashed inside the ramyun shop. She stopped in front of their table and paused to catch her breath.

Kai grinned at her. “Minah! You’re here!”

She steadied her breathing before speaking. “I… I was looking for Myungsoo Oppa.” She smiled and looked at Myungsoo. He, who focused back on his bowl, looked up. “Me? Why?”

She bit her lip. “I was thinking, can you accompany me to that milk tea shop we used to visit before?”

Myungsoo pursed his lips. “You came here for that?”

She tapped her toes. “Uh, yeah, I kinda miss it.”

Eunji placed her chopsticks down and stared at Myungsoo, then back at Minah. In an instant she felt that uncomfortable feeling rise up within her again.

“B-but… the ice cream..” She looked down, trailing off. Of course she couldn’t appear as a spoiled brat. She reasoned out to herself that she wanted ice cream, but it seemed like there was more to her wanting Myungsoo to stay.

Myungsoo finished his bowl and looked at Kai and Eunji.

Kai grinned and pulled Eunji closer to him by the waist. “Don’t worry Myung, we’re fine! Besides, we’re going to that ice cream shop later.” He chuckled and squeezed Eunji’s body in his arm. “Right, cupcake?”

“You two really look cute together!” Minah lightly squealed.

Kai grinned boyishly. “Of course!”

“We’re not together, if that’s what your thinking.” Eunji looked up.

Myungsoo cleared his throat and stood up. “Well, I’ll go then. Have fun.” He met her eyes and just nodded. Eunji stuck her tongue out. Myungsoo rolled his eyes and turned away, walking out with Minah.

Minah was talking non-stop about many things, but he didn’t seem to hear. He was deep in thought. Since the past few days, he could really feel Kai being different around Eunji, and it confused him.

But if that’s what it takes for Eunji to be happy, who is he to be selfish? He may be a cold-hearted stupid badass, but he still has a heart.

Little did he know he was just comforting himself.

Little did he know Eunji didn’t want him to go.

Oh how complicated can it be?

 

 

_______________________________________