Collide

Can We both Win?

 

NARRATOR

 

The clouds loomed over the city of Seoul, dark and heavy. The skies were in a deal with the clouds, spreading out like some black silk.

The Yi Mansion joined forces with the weather though.

It was quiet, tense, heavy.

“You should learn the ropes now, Jia Li. Look at Minah, she’s managing their company together with her Dad. That’s what you call responsible.”

Eunji nodded, sitting tensed on the couch. “I will learn when you want me to, Yeye.”

“Not because I want to, but because you know you need to! Change you mentality, Jia Li! I did not raise you to become dependent. Be useful, for once!”

 

Kris stopped Lay from bursting inside the grand study. Lay glared at the elder man with such intensity.

“Don’t.” Kris just seethed back. Lay sighed and closed his eyes. He and Kris had been standing there listening to Yeye endlessly scold Eunji.

It was obvious, Yeye was trying to make Eunji mature fast.

But the two knew she couldn’t. She was their baby, their only girl. She grew up protected, supplied, spoon-fed. It wasn’t impossible to make her mature, but it wouldn’t be that easy too.

Emotionally it would be hard, and she was emotionally weak.

Everybody knew that. But nobody could do anything.

The door opened and Eunji walked out with trembling lips. It didn’t take a second before she crumbled on Kris’ chest. Lay looked at her cousin with a heavy heart.

“I don’t understand, Ge.” She sniffled. Kris gently caressed her hair. Lay sighed and closed his eyes. “We too don’t, mei.”

 

Myungsoo was walking peacefully, but his head was at war. It wasn’t until he heard the pitter-patter of the rain drops against the concrete that he woke up from his tangled brain. He slipped inside his car and turned the engine on.

He smiled to himself. He was right about bringing a car today at school, it would certainly rain.

He looked at his side to see Kai’s Maserati already speeding away the parking lot. Today they were lounging at the gazebo alone, Eunji left early because of her grandfather.

He was starting to clear his head when his phone rang.

“Go to Jiji’s. She’s troubled.”

He furrowed his brows as he heard the beeping. Kai ended the call just like that. Why would he want him there? He was the best friend from childhood, right?

And it was the perfect opportunity for Kai to be closer to Eunji, if he was really pursuing her. He was unpredictable, for goodness’ sake.

But still, he found himself speeding towards the Yi Mansion.

 

“Hey hyung.” Myungsoo nodded at Lay, who gave him a curt nod back. Kris stepped out the movie room and nodded at Myungsoo too.

He sighed. “She’s inside.”

“Can I?”

“Go in.” Lay slightly pushed him towards the door. He was about to say something but the two Yi grand sons were already walking away with slouched backs. They must be worried for her, he thought.

What happened anyway? He didn’t know anything at all.

He opened the door and found her instantly there, curled on the couch with a fleece blanket. Some cartoon movie was playing but she wansn’t paying attention, she was crying silently.

“…Ji?” He was stupid. Stupid.

She looked up and jerked. “M-Myungsoo. Why are you here?”

Myungsoo felt his world almost crumble at the sight of her broken. He gently squeezed her shoulder as he sat beside her. “What happened?”

She looked at the screen, tears lining her cheek. Her face turned blank though. “You know how it is to be pressured.”

Jiji.”

“Yeye looks at me like I’ some kind of useless obligation he has to carry. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what he wants me to do. I don’t know… I-I…” And she started sobbing again.

He bit his lip extra hard. She shuddered and comforted herself with the presence of a friend.

“I think…”

“Say it.” She said, her voice shaky.

Myungsoo inhaled deeply. “I think he wants you to be strong.”

“I… I want to be, Myung. You… You know I do.”

He smiled softly. “I know.”

This is not Kim Myungsoo. Kim Myungsoo was a cold hearted brat stoic man who didn’t care at all. But maybe this is not him, this is another him. And he’s willing to be this guy. He can be this guy too.

Eunji looked up with glassy eyes. “Do you think I can be? You told me I’m a weakling.”

“You are, but that doesn’t mean you’ll forever be one.” He pointed out, rolling his eyes. Eunji wiped her tears and bit the insides of her cheek. She was trying hard not to cry.

“Strong people don’t cry.” Her voice cracked as she spoke.

Myungsoo stared at her. Her eyes were threatening to release tears any second now, her lips were trembling, and her face showed sadness.

Disappointment. Determination.

“No.”

She curiously frowned at him.

In an instant, he pulled her into his arms. Eunji tried to break free, but he was strong.

“Strong people are not afraid to cry, Jiji. It’s not the same.”

With that her tears fell. Myungsoo felt his heart clench at that very moment.

“Cry, but don’t break down.” He whispered. “Don’t break down.”

Eunji bit her lip as she felt all the emotions, everything rush out her. She felt devastated, but Myungsoo’s words, they were building her. Making her believe.

“M-myung. Thanks.” She muttered under her shaky breath.

She couldn’t thank him enough. There at that moment she realized, she needed the jerk. He knew her like they were born together. He knew how to make her feel like she could do anything.

Kim Myungsoo, her jerk of a friend, is important to her.

She didn’t hear him respond, instead she felt him tighten the hug. Her heartbeat drummed against her chest weirdly.

Then there it was, the faint brushing of his lips on her temple.

She wanted to say something, she ended up exhaling. Myungsoo closed his eyes. He knew why he planted a kiss on her temple.

I’m here.

 

Not only did his world stop, hers too.

 

 

__________________________________________