Embrace

Can We both Win?

 

 

NARRATOR

 

“This is what we talked about, baobei. We just need perfect timing.”

Eunji nodded as her brows furrowed. Tao stopped pacing around and plopped across her. They were both in her room, savoring the time alone. After all, privacy was needed.

“It’s on Thursday. How can we…?”

Tao smirked knowingly. He leaned forward to meet her eyes. “Lucky for you, you have me.” He chuckled. “I heard Yeye talking on the phone after you left for school, dear princess. He’s planning a lunch meeting with the Kangs this Wednesday.”

“An acquaintance meal.” She mumbled. “That means… her Dad is going to be there?”

“Bingo.” Tao raised his thumb. “Then this is a chance. I’m sure the father and daughter will talk about their plans alone.”

Her forehead creased. Tao was steps ahead of her. The panda was good at this. If he wasn’t, then she wouldn’t even bother calling him to Korea. Having him as a bestfriend had its perks.

“Then we need Yi Fan Ge….”

A smile tugged on Tao’s lips. “Well, we just need him at the right place at the right time.”

 

Myungsoo walked with heavy steps towards his room.

“Young Master, dinner will be served early. Your father is home.”

He nodded absentmindedly and trudged upstairs. The door slammed and the butler winced at the loud impact. Something must be wrong, he thought.

The young Kim maintained his even breathing as he slowly sat on the edge of his bed.

He was a mess.

His mind was a mess.

Everything was a mess.

But he wouldn’t let this happen. He could not be like this just because of a girl.

Darn that brat, he thought. Darn her.

He closed his eyes briefly. Darn me and this stupid feeling.

The feeling wasn’t new. He felt it before, when Kai was always up to something with her. But now, it just intensified with the appearance of another guy. Something like fire burning inside him.

He didn’t want to be this kind of madman. He was already mad, he couldn’t be more.

But it hurt him, even if his prideful self won’t admit it. It hurt him, seeing his chances diminish slowly. It hurt him, seeing her not giving any hint of reciprocation.

Maybe, just maybe, there is no freaking chance of her feeling the same.

And that is what kills him.

 

 

And yet again, it is another day. Tuesday it is. The days are getting closer and closer to the contract signing, the day of success for some, and failure for some.

“Mei, can we talk?”

Eunji bit her lip and tried to put on a façade. “Yes, Ge?” She turned to face the eldest Yi grandchild and smiled lightly. “What do you want to talk about?”

“What is happening?” Kris bluntly asked; no hint of positive emotions on his countenance. It was all worries.

Eunji furrowed her brows. “Hmm? Nothing is happening.”

“There is something you’re not telling me. You’re acting different.”

Her lips parted as she gasped lightly. “Oh, Ge, right. Sorry for snapping at you last Sunday. I was… on my period.”

“I know this is not about your period.” He rolled his eyes.

She chuckled good-naturedly. “Ge, it was.”

“Mei, just be honest. I don’t want us to be like this.” The dragon never shows emotions, but when it comes to family, it differs. His eyes were pleading; pleading for the truth.

She closed her eyes briefly. She couldn’t say it all now, he wouldn’t believe her. He has gotten attached to the girl too much it would be hard for him to believe. Still, she can try.

“Ge, what if Minah’s just using you?” She whispered.

Kris gaze turned into that of confusion. “What?”

“She’s using you.”

“She’s not, mei. How can she…”

“Money.” She blurted out.

Kris shook his head. “Mei, their company is rising. How will she need money?”

“Lies are easy to make, Ge.”

“Mei…”

Eunji chuckled bitterly. “No. It was just a ‘what if’. No worries, Ge. I’m sure you know her well.”

“Mei…”

Eunji stepped forward and embraced the tall man. Kris sighed and wrapped his arms around his little baby. “Mei…”

“Ge, I’m just concerned. I don’t want you hurt.”

“I won’t be hurt.”

“I don’t want you hurt.” She whispered.

Kris smiled. “I won’t be, mei. Trust me. And remember what Yeye told us when we were little? Sometimes we have to feel the pain so we can learn.”

Eunji swallowed hard and prevented herself from crying.

He said it himself. Sometimes we have to feel the pain so we can learn.

 

 

Eunji managed a smile as she got out of the silver Audi. Tao waved at her and left. She exhaled, cheering herself. She didn’t have the chance to ride with Lay for he was avoiding her.

And the talk with Kris, well it says it all.

“This will be over soon.” She whispered and jogged to her class. She was already five minutes late.

 

“Hey Myung.” She poked her side and grinned. At least she still has her friends with her, she thought. Even if they don’t know a thing, she can’t blame them.

It was hard to believe without any proof. So she’s going through all this all by herself, oh count Tao in.

But at least the jerk’s presence was comforting.

“Myung should we eat with Jongin today? I haven’t gone to the diner in ages. I hate the place, but sure it gew on me already.” She chuckled and socked his arm.

Myungsoo slowly faced her. “Will you stop?”

“What?”

“The teacher’s talking. I’m trying to listen.” He muttered.

Eunji chuckled lightly. “Aside from sleeping, you don’t do anything in class. Don’t be funny.” She rolled her eyes. Myungsoo icily stared at her. “Oh really?”

“Hmm-hmm jerk.” She hummed.

He chuckled too, but with the hint of bitterness. “Well maybe you don’t know me at all.”

“W-What?” She croaked, her voice cracking a little.

“Just keep quiet, will you? Is that so hard to do?”

Eunji turned away from him, unsure of what was really happening.

 

Should she still be grateful for his comforting presence?

 

 

“Myung…”

Myungsoo stopped walking and finally turned to face her. They have been walking for a couple of minutes now, with him being the cold friend.

“What do you want?” He snapped. Eunji bit her lip as her brows arched together. “What do I want? I want you to act normal. What’s happening?”

He chuckled bitterly, his icy stare meeting hers. “Nothing is wrong, Yi Jia Li. You’re overthinking.”

“Overthinking my ! You’ve been snapping on me for the past few hours. You’ve been avoiding my gaze and have been giving me the cold shoulder. Now, am I overthinking?” She panted for air, her fists clenched. She didn’t even know why she was so affected.

Maybe because she needs someone by her side and here he is being the award-winning jerk.

No— she needs him as the jerk he is, but not this jerk.

The jerk that is important to her. Maybe Kai was right… Her jerk?

Myungsoo heaved a sigh and closed his eyes for a brief moment. “I’m not in the mood, Jiji.”

She almost smiled at the name, it was a sign for him to be back to the way he is. But she couldn’t, she was peeved. “Well you could’ve told me earlier. I would’ve left you alone.”

With that she turned away and walked briskly towards the opposite direction. She never felt so miffed and disappointed in her whole life. Maybe, she was expecting too much from someone.

She was expecting a friend.

“Ji.”

She didn’t stop. Faint footsteps were behind her and hell she knew who the owner was. But she could play this pride game forever. No joke.

“Eunji.”

She won’t stop. He should just get away, she thought.

“Yi Jia Li!”

Myungsoo pulled her wrist and made her stop on her tracks. She squealed a little, before her nose flared with undeniable annoyance. “Kim Myu—“

It was too late. Myungsoo pulled her to his chest, wrapping his arms around her shoulders.

“Y-ya.” She fibbed, eyes widened. It was later when she noticed she was holding her breath.

“I’m… sorry.” He whispered. She tried to break free but he only tightened his embrace.

“Can we… stay like this for a while?”

She could not comprehend what’s happening. Wait— she could not comprehend what’s happening to her. It’s as if fireworks were exploding on her chest.

But she knew it. This Kim Myungsoo… is her jerk.

She smiled lightly and brought her arms to embrace him back. No words, just like that.

Even if the world seems to be on her shoulders, at least she still has someone beside her.

She still has this jerk of a friend.

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________

:)