Complications

Can We both Win?

 

NARRATOR

 

“Miss Yi, your whole group is going to get minus points for your late arrival to my class.”

There were some snickers and groans as Eunji made her way to her group. She was still slightly panting from her corridor run. Her history teacher sure was a jerk, she thought.

She smiled sheepishly at her groupmates who in turn either were brave enough to give her a plastic ‘it’s-fine’ look, or a semi-glare that looked like just blank faces.

Her eyes met another pair of eyes beside her. It was from the girl who… confessed to her jerk. Yeah, she liked claiming him her jerk, well he claimed her his brat so it shouldn’t be a problem.

She gave her a small smile. The girl muttered a small greeting with a cheeky smile.

Eunji wondered. To think of it, Myungsoo never responded in some… mutual way. After she confessed yesterday, Myungsoo nodded in mock understanding and forced himself to smile. “T…thank you,” He muttered and awkwardly looked at his friends for help.

That was how the confession ended.

Now Eunji wondered, will the girl still pursue her… admiration for the jerk?

“Miss Yi?”

She jolted up her seat. “Y-yes, Ma’am?”

“Are you even listening? What was my last word?”

She looked at her groupmates who were hoping she’d answer properly. She bit her lip anxiously and blinked. “Uh… word?”

“That earns your group another round of minus pints. Get your head straight and stop daydreaming.” She clucked her tongue and went back to discussing about their group thesis, and she sank deeper in her seat.

Now her groupmates looked at her differently— they actually glared.

“It’s fine, you didn’t do anything.”

“Sorry. I really am.” She muttered to her groupmates when they were given the remaining of the class to discuss their thesis. No one answered, except for that girl. “It’s fine.” She repeated, although the cross look on her other groupmates’ faces said otherwise.

“Besides, you made the introduction already. We owe you.” She winked.

Eunji didn’t feel grateful because the girl was being kind. She felt peeved, without knowing why. Why does she have to be kind? Can’t she just act like my other groupmates who doesn’t seem to care? She thought.

She faked a smile and looked away. The girl was about to pat her shoulder comfortingly but she brushed her hand away. “Don’t… touch me.”

Now again, everybody looked at her with that stare. Great, she’s the now.

“I’m… not used to people touching me.” She explained.

The group went back to talking and discussing. Eunji expected no more response but she heard a faint mutter beside her. “But you look like you’re so used to Kim Myungsoo touching you.”

“Excuse me?” She jerked her head to the girl. She blinked innocently. “Hmm?”

The bell rang and everybody was whisked out the room by eagerness.

Before she could talk back, Kai went inside the room and pulled her up. “Let’s go, my lady.”

She groaned and let the playboy pull him away from the girl. They wordlessly rode the elevator to the building’s ground floor.

“I kind of feel that I don’t like that girl.”

“Who?”

“That one— my groupmate who confessed to the jerk.”

Kai hid his sly smile. Boy he was sure having fun. “Why?

“I don’t know. She feels so… unnatural. If you were her, would you be kind to me, knowing that I’m a friend of your crush?” She asked, pressing her lips tightly after.

“I would just be naturally friendly. Why are you thinking like that?”

“I’m doubting her, that’s all.”

“I’m doubting you.” He mumbled.

She looked at him with narrowed eyes. “What?”

“Nothing, let’s get something to eat~ I’m starving!” He grinned and again dragged her towards the cafeteria.

 

It was already getting late. Eunji sighed and walked out her last class, blowing air out of her cheeks. She stopped at the campus gate where she was alone, trying to remember where she parked.

She looked farther and saw her baby waiting for her. She smiled slightly amidst the fatigue and jogged to her car. She was about to slip in when an arm encircled her waist.

“Pretty.”

Her eyes grew wide in alarm as her reflexes brought her elbow to the poor guy’s nose. Unfortunately, it missed, and she was instead turned to face the stranger. He was reeking of alcohol which made her crinkle her nose. Disgusting, she thought.

“Hey girl.”

“Get o—

“Get off her you bastard.”

Before she could even finish her sentence, Myungsoo already broke the man’s nose and pulled her close beside him. He kicked him away and faced her. “You careless brat!”

“What did I do?”

“Why did you park here?”

“Because there were no other parking places and I was late.” She rolled her eyes. He gave her his famous glare and rolled his eyes too. “Nice. Park here more often and get yourself .”

“Why are you here?” She glared.

“I was looking for you.”

“Were you… waiting for me?”

“Yup. You told me to wait, because you were craving for ice cream. Remember?”

“Right.” Her lips broke out into a grin. Myungsoo looked at her as an exasperated sigh escaped his lips. How could she still smile after getting almost ? He thought.

“I want to—“

“Come here, you.” He snickered and pulled her close to his chest, burying his nose on her hair that smelled like sweet strawberries. She actually gasped but then… hugged him back.

She didn’t know why— it felt like the right thing to do.

“Why are we hugging?” She blurted out. Myungsoo smiled to himself. “Because we’re friends.”

“I know that. But I’m not depressed or troubled or problematic, Myung. You hug me when I’m depressed. That’s the ususal thing. Right…?”

“Just pretend that you’re depressed. That way I can hug you.” He chuckled heartily. She bit her lip hard at the sound of his chuckle. She was feeling weird.

She swallowed and furrowed her brows, still enveloped in his lean arms. “Why?”

“Because you’re one dense being.”

“What?”

“Nothing. Let’s go.” He pulled away and pushed her, making her stumble a little at the pavement. He just looked at her and laughed, his eyes teasing.

She harrumphed and cursed under her breath. She actually thought he was close to being… kind and loving. Oh, the irony.

 

 

She squirmed under her fluffy comforter. She clenched her teeth together in an odd manner. Thoughts were swirling around her mess of a brain, and her heart, weird as it is, won’t stop skipping beats at the weirdest thoughts.

“Mei?”

Eunji shot up and let the covers fall on her lap. Her hair was a wild mess, sticking up to different directions. Lay slightly flinched the the sight. “Are you okay?”

“How long have you been there?” She asked, ignoring his question. Well, he was always ignored, so he didn’t even care anymore. “About a minute or so. Yeye asked me to check up on you since he hasn’t seen you for some days now. You’ve been tossing around.”

“I’m just… preoccupied?” It was true. She kept on thinking of things. That girl in her class, that hug, and her weird reactions.

“Just pretend that you’re depressed. That way I can hug you.”

She’s damn confused and a bit restless. And some words kept ringing on her ears.

Lay walked in a little hesitantly in his pajamas and rolled his eyes. “I thought you were too lazy to even think, and now you’re preoccupied?” He let out a sarcastic chortle.

She grunted and moved aside, still making space for him. “You unicorn.”

“You fatass.”

“I hate you.”

“Too bad, I’m going to sleep here tonight.”

She was about to protest, but he already made himself comfortable and shut his eyes beside her. “Why… Can’t you just get a life and go to your stinky room?”

“Because unfortunately, the unicorn cannot let the fatass be alone when she’s troubled. Even when the fatass won’t tell him why.”

She gaped. This Gege was the one who was least expected to be kind. “G-ge..”

“Goodnight, mei.”

 

 

______________________________________________

to make it up, because I missed updating the whole week.

Gahd help me with all these school work.

Anyway, I'm alive. That's good.

lol