Wordlessly

Can We both Win?

 

 

 

NARRATOR

 

Myungsoo walked around the hall boredly. He blew a raspberry and slumped his shoulders like he did all the work in the world. His father pulled him here and there, introducing him to tons of people he was not a bit interested.

He sighed as he picked up a glass of champagne and sipped slowly. The hot liquid ran down his throat like some mild fire, relaxing him.

He looked across the room and saw Kai.

His brows rose. Kai was talking to some girls at the corner, smiling his usual smile that melted a thousand hearts all at once. Myungsoo just had to chuckle, but something hit him.

Isn’t Kai supposed to be with Eunji?

 

 

Myungsoo’s POV

 

My lip twitched as Kai’s arm s around the girl’s waist slowly. They looked at each other meaningfully before walking out the hall towards the garden.

I don’t know, but my friend sure is a bigtime jerk, or just blind.

I clucked my tongue to follow, but I noticed I wasn’t the only one following him. Someone sure I would recognize in that flowing red dress followed silently behind, fiddling with her fingers.

Is this girl crazy? Why is she following? She’s not supposed to see anything! She’ll hurt herself! Gosh, this brat can be hell of reckless.

Soon enough, Kai was already at the peaceful garden with the girl on his arm. They giggled to each other as they sat down an empty bench.

Eunji stood behind a huge fountain, her hands gripping her clutch tight.

Why does she have to be a martyr?

While I stood there behind the wall, watching everything.

 

 

Eunji’s POV

 

Jongin and the girl, who was apparently named Chaerin, sat down at a bench on the far corner of the garden, where they faced the dark starry night. Jongin was the usual, cooing his words of compliments.

And Chaerin, she was falling under his trap.

While I, stood there mercilessly letting myself witness everything. I witness this everyday, right? But it seems like tonight’s different.

It hurts more, like a thousand more.

Maybe because more or less an hour from now I should be confessing.

But then… there’s this.

Jongin slung his arm around her as she leaned on his shoulder. They looked at each other’s eyes as if they knew each other for so long.

Didn’t I know him long enough? Since our diaper days?

Jongin blinked and neared her face. Soon the both of them were nearing each other’s faces, eyes closed.

My heart clenched. All of a sudden, I forgot how to breath. My fingers trembled as everything inside me hurt like hell.

And this damn twisting in my stomach, and the undeniable pounding in my heart. I don’t even know why I deserve this.

And their… it’s… almost touching.

 

 

NARRATOR

 

“Don’t.”

A pair of strong arms pulled Eunji away, away from the sight. She looked up and saw Myungsoo meet her eyes, but he quickly buried her head on his chest protectively. He tightened his arm around her shoulder and buried his head on her hair.

“Just… don’t.” He whispered.

Eunji’s fists curled as she tried to contain everything. “I can’t. You’re head-locking me.” She tried to chuckle, but a faint sob escaped her lips as she spoke.

Myungsoo felt his chest get wet. Somehow he felt pain too, he didn’t know why. He quietly pulled her inside and again enveloped her in his arms.

“Ya, Jiji. You’re… staining my shirt.”

Eunji ignored him and clung on his arms for support as she found shelter in his chest. He sighed and pulled her closer, securing him in his arms.

He didn’t know what to say, to ease her pain. He didn’t know if he was doing something he should be doing, because everything was confusing him as of the moment.

He shouldn't be helping anyway, she was some annoying friend to him. But no, he could not be the jerk he was. Not at that moment, because he could not bear seeing her like that.

Seeing her broken, it all resulted to him feeling one thing.

Worry.

He should be saying ‘it’s gonna be fine’, but he knows it was a lie. Nothing was going to be fine, because he knows Kai.

But he didn’t have the guts to stop Eunji, because he felt her determination, that he himself felt years ago.

*Why do you keep on hurting yourself, Jiji?* He sighed as he caressed her hair.

 

_________________________________