Betrayed

Can We both Win?

 

 

NARRATOR

 

Eunji nervously bit her lip as she looked at her reflection in the wall-sized mirror. The floor length Oscar dela Renta dress fit her figure perfectly. She slipped on her Louboutin stilettos and again looked at herself in the mirror.

She exhaled, trembling as her fingers her ruffled red dress.

                                      span

                                           (sorry, just had to use Blair, or Leighton. She’s so gorgeous.)

 

“You’re going to do good, mei.” Kris smiled as he stepped in the room. Eunji half-ran to her cousin’s arms and buried her head on his chest. “You really think so, Ge?”

“You’re Yi Jia Li. You’re different, right?” Kris chuckled lightly.

Eunji smiled. “Yeah, right.”

 

People were already flocking the hall. Outside, hoards of reporters and cameramen were waiting for their big catch. Only few selected media companies were selected to enter the venue. It was an anticipated event not only on the world of business, but also of the praised.

Business tycoons all over the world soon arrived one by one, in sleek black cars and buff bodyguards in suits. Of course strutting in Valentionos, Vera Wangs and Mcqueens.

Myungsoo arrived with his father who was all smiles as they entered the hall. The father and son looked crisp and handsome in Armani suits.

It was nothing unusual then. They were the Kims, of course.

 

The hall was filled with known people. Groups of guests formed clusters, talking about the usual— business, money, life.

A gigantic Yi logo was placed on the staircase. People began the night with small chit-chats and introductions. And socializing with potential partners.

“Dude.” Kai slapped Myungsoo at the back. He glared at Kai, but in truth he was relieved, he didn’t want to be alone in this business-filled party. It hurts just his whole being to be here. More if he was alone. He at these things.

Just because he's bad-.

“Where’s Jiji?” Myungsoo asked. Kai smiled and pointed upstairs. “She’s gonna come down with the family.”

“Oh.” Myungsoo nodded in understanding.

 

Soon enough, the emcee introduced the Yi Family. People started to look up as the elder Yi walked down first, followed by the three grandchildren.

Eunji was smiling brightly, on both of her sides were Lay and Kris sleek in their tuxedos.

Everybody closely examined the new grandchild to be introduced, the third and only female among the three. She exuded the typical Yi aura— fierceness and charm.

Eunji smiled as Kai met her at the end of the stairs. He gently placed her hand on his arm, and they strutted towards the small platform in front.

“Everybody, I’d like to introduce my only granddaughter, Yi Jia Li.”

Applause erupted from everywhere in the room.

 

Myungsoo just stood there, frozen in his place. His eyes never left Eunji, she looked… different. Almost magical.

She was dazzling, he was dazzled. Unconsciously his mouth parted slightly in awe. No wonder the brat was after all a Yi heiress, she got the looks. No— she owned the night. She caught everyone, and Myungsoo was no exception.

In fact he was the most affected by her charm. But that's not easy to admit.

He couldn't even tell if his heart was racing because he was shocked, or any other reason. Just... she was beautiful, and denying would be a great crime.

 

He shook his head lightly to focus.

Her eyes met his, and he was taken aback. Again, he swallowed and rolled his eyes at her. She looked away and continued smiling at the crowd, the great Yi she is.

“You did great, cupcake.” Kai nudged her side as he led her to the table. She smiled back at him. “Of course, I can’t disappoint Yeye and the geges.”

“And you’re breath-takingly beautiful.” He added, making her heart stop. She bit her lip as blood rushed to her cheeks in an instant. She was grateful for the dim lightling or else Kai would’ve been suspicious.

She chuckled. “T-thanks, Jongin.”

“Hmm, cupcake.” He winked, pulling out a chair for her. She willingly sat down as he sat beside her. He moved closer and squeezed her hand encouragingly.

“Those hyungs must be so proud of you.” He pointed to Lay and Kris at the corner, talking to some people. Eunji just nodded, looking at Kai’s hand wrapped around hers, Her heart hammered endlessly, as her stomach churned.

Myungsoo stood there at the corner, observing the two. Of course, the jerk wanted to greet Jiji, but his senses stopped him.

“I think it’s time for me to just make him see what I really feel. It’s now or never.”

Her words started ringing on his head. Eunji wants to do this, she wants Kai to know. And Myungsoo didn’t want to ruin the moment, he didn’t want to intervene.

Somehow he knew Eunji wanted this since who knows, now she should pursue it.

After all, at the times they shared together even if they bickered and were close to killing each other, they’re friends. Friends want their friends to be happy.

A gentle smile spread across the bad- Kim Myungsoo’s face as he did his best to look away.

But he was fooling himself. He was a total fool.

He was uncomfortable for some unknown reason he had to find out for himself. And it should be done, soon.

 

“Jongin-ah…” Eunji bit her lip as she tried to speak through her emotions. But she was constantly failed, which irked her more and more. But she already decided, she needs to open up to Kai now, or else everything would fail.

In fact coming home to Seoul would be useless.

Kai turned to her with a boyish grin. “Hmm?”

“I… I need to te—“

“Oh , look at that chick, Ji! She’s freaking hot in that short dress.” Kai interrupted her, his eyes leering at a random girl’s direction.

Eunji’s fist curled as she faked a smile.

Kai shook his head and bit his lip. “Sorry, cupcake. What was it?”

“Nothing.” She mumbled, standing up and turning away from him.

Kai’s brows furrowed. “Are you thirsty? Bathroom? Powder room?” He inquired, also standing up, holding her elbow gently.

Eunji smiled lightly and removed his hand. “I need to find Yi Xing Ge or Yi Fan Ge.”

“O-okay. Want me to—“

“No. Stay here. I’m fine.” She blurted out as she walked away.

 

Eunji’s POV

 

I gripped the champagne glass tightly. My heart raced with pain, it was on a different chase. Like running away from possible heart break, but evident to my eyes.

Just like that, I suddenly feel like a fool. Why am I even chasing someone who knows nothing? Who feels nothing, but platonic love?

I’m stupid, really stupid. Why did I even think of confessing, when I know he wouldn’t even listen. I’m ruining everything, just because I’m selfish.

Am I?

“Mei.” Yi Fan ge placed a hand on my bare shoulder. He smiled lightly before tapping my head. “Where’s Kai?”

I looked at my cousin’s features. Sharp, strong, with that hint of fierceness. Why can’t I be like him? Why can’t I shun all these feelings like I’m damn made of stone?

I exhaled deeply and paced my glass down. I stepped forwards and hugged gege tight. As if he knew, as if he could read me, he wrapped his hands around me and caressed my hair. No words were spoken, maybe that’s in the blood.

“Oh, Oppa!”

Gege pulled away. I stepped back and tried to contain myself. I should be strong. Should be strong.

“Minah-sshi.” Gege spoke flatly. Minah smiled at him then at me. “Oh, hello Eunji-sshi!” She beamed. I forced a smile. “hello, Minah-sshi.”

“Do you mind if I take Oppa for a while?”

What could I do? I couldn’t be selfish of my cousin too. “Sure.”

With that they both walked away. Again I was left alone. I scanned the roo and met Yi Xing ge’s eyes. He was sandwiched between two elder men, enthusiastically talking about who knows what.

He smiled at me before looking away.

I sighed, chugging the remains of mu glass before walking away. At my seat, I saw Jongin smiling back at me. As if there was something. As if he wanted to hear my thoughts. When we were young, because we grew up together, looking at each other’s eyes already told us what the other one was feeling.

But now, I would not let my eyes betray me. I need to put on a façade.

“What did you want to tell me, Ji?” He poked my side as I sat beside him. I just smiled. As if I could tell him, I’m a weakling, sadly Myungsoo jerk was right.

Where is he anyway?

“Ya, don’t leave me hanging!” He chuckled and hugged my bare arm. I looked at him and rolled my eyes. “You won’t be interested in it.”

“Hmmm, girl stuff? I’ll be more than interested!” He joked. I flinched nd pretended to move away from him, but he pulled me back. “Okay, let’s just talk later? The two of us? Privately? You want that, Jiji? I know something’s bothering you. I always do.”

My heart sunk. My eyes betrayed me, he knew. He will always know.

“O-okay.” I nodded.

Then I need to brace myself. It’s now or never.

Myungsoo told me I have a fat chance?

I hope he’s right.

 

 

 

___________________________________

When writing, I place myself on the OC'S shoes.

And I got to admit, it's kinda sad writing this. Ugh self torture. 

....