Vexations

Can We both Win?

 

NARRATOR

 

Yeye placed his utensils down and wiped his lip. “So Tao-ah, how’s your parents?”

“They’re fine, Yeye. Papa’s busy with this new deal with the Zhang group of companies.” Tao smiled proudly, his hand holding a fork that had a half-eaten hotdog on it.

He munched on it as Yeye nodded with his response. “That’s good to hear. Oh— Yi Fan, is everything set?”

Kris nodded. There was tension between him and Eunji who was sitting across him. Only Yeye semed to be oblivious at the tension surrounding the dining room. It was like laser beams were ready to be shot any second now. Any second now.

“It’s all set, Yeye. The signing will be on Thursday.”

“What signing?” Eunji's head snapped up. Somehows she felt like it wasn't a good thing.

Yeye cheerfully smiled and huffed proudly. “Kris got another deal.”

“Deal? With who?” She urged, pressing it more.

Lay pressed his lips together. He knew with who, and he knew his cousin wouldn’t like it. Oh he knew her well. She'd despise it. He was formulating some response in his mind, but Yeye was ahead of him.

“With the Kangs! It’s a great investment because they’re compnay’s stocks are continuously rising. They're one of the rising companies so far.” Yeye nodded to himself in satisfaction.

Eunji tensed on her seat as her jaw clenched. Tao was kicking her foot. Who knows what she could say, or worse, do? She was on the verge of blurting everything out.

“Their… stocks are rising? Is the Kang company doing well, Yeye?”

Yeye seemed baffled that Eunji was interested in those things. After all, she hated being in the business. “… Yes. They showed us their recent financial and stock sheets. Why are you asking, Jia Li?”

Now Kris dared to meet her eyes. Why is she asking?

She smiled lightly at Yeye and met Kris eyes for a second. Her stare was cold, despite the small smile she managed to wear. “I’m just curious, Yeye. You wanted me to see Minah as a model, right? I could learn a lot from her.” She chirped.

Lay winced a little at the poorly-hidden sarcasm from Eunji’s tone. This was not going smoothly, he thought.  Tao was biting his lip and worrying too.

That did it. Something was really wrong. Kris just did not know what.

 

“You really should control your temper, you know.”

Eunji threw a scowl at Tao's direction. “I didn’t do anything! Ya, did you hear that? They’re going to invest in the Kangs. We have to stop that! This can't be happening...”

“Oh please, baobei, you know how you get sarcastic and stuff. Please, just be calm before we end this thing.”

Eunji just rolled her eyes. Heck she didn’t have calm on her dictionary as of the moment. She was going nuts inside. They’re investing on the Kangs? That just means Minah is winning. And how did she even manage to fake all those statements when her company is on the brink of bankruptcy?

A good actress can be a good fraud too, she thought.

“What was that all about, Yi jia Li?”!

Eunji turned around and smiled meekly at Lay. “Xing Ge! Let’s go? We’re gonna be late.”

“Don’t act like I’m a stupid fool who can’t see things.” Lay hissed and dragged her out. Tao was left on the mansion’s main door, pouting as he was left alone. 

Eunji pried his hands away. “Ge, what the hell? It hurts.” She winced and rubbed her wrists.

“What the hell your face, mei. What are you doing?” He crossed his arms. He needs to know, he thought. This can't be going on like he's some kind of outsider who doesn't know things.

He knew there was something, yet he haven't figure out what exactly.

“What do you mean what am I doing?” She snickered and slipped in the passenger’s seat, slamming the door closed. Lay heaved a deep sigh and slipped in the driver’s seat. He automatically locked the doors and started the engine.

“I’m a calm gege if there’s a need to be calm, you know that. But you know you can’t just be a brat. Do you want me to be angry?”

“I am not being a brat.” She muttered lowly. She was disheartened to bits. She couldn’t even argue. It’s not like she can tell Lay everything that she knows. She had to keep quiet.

But she wanted to tell him everything.

Lay closed his eyes briefly. “If you’re not gonna tell me what’s going on, then fine. I don’t even know if you see me as your Gege. You used to tell me everything. Whatever.” He stepped on the gas and drove his way to school.

Eunji bit her lip hard to avoid herself from saying anything.

I’m sorry XingXing Ge, she thought.

 

“Hey hyung!”

Kai’s smile quickly vanished as Lay brushed past him without a single word. He turned to Eunji who was walking towards him. “What happened to Lay hyung?”

Eunji merely shrugged. “Where’s Myungsoo?”

“Won’t you say hi to me first?” Kai rolled his eyes. Eunji scowled and trudged beside him. “Fine, hello Jongin. Where’s the jerk?”

It was Kai’s turn to just shrug. Eunji pursed her lips and walked ahead.

Kai trailed behind her, smirking to himself.

This girl is so dense. She can’t even notice, he chuckled inwardly.

 

“This is so unfair!” Eunji flung her hands up. Myungsoo blew a raspberry and merely nodded at what she said.

“How can he fail us all? It’s him who doesn’t know how to teach!!” One student screamed out of frustration,which gained him several nods from the other students. Eunji bit her lower lip and blinked. “I already have a lot of problems, and then this. Wow, such a good world.” She turned to face Myungsoo who was deep in thought.

The failing grade he got did not even affect his mood. He was thinking about some things. Things about her, to be exact.

“Myung!” She groaned. Myungsoo’s eyes flickered as he faced her. “What?”

“This makes me want ice cream. Can we go later?”

He laughed bitterly. “Don’t you have somewhere to go to with that Chinese guy?”

“You mean Tao?” She eyed him pointedly, trying to figure out his sour mood. If he was a girl, she’d blame PMS.

Myungsoo rolled his eyes. “Whatever his name is.” He muttered lowly.

Eunji grinned and poked his side. “Why are you upset, huh? Is the jerk missing me? Hmm-hmm?”

*Hell yes.* He inwardly spat out. But of course, he couldn’t say that out loud, that would be stupid. And oh, add desperate.

He already hates himself for being so... crazy for someone. He should just stop.

“No, why would I miss a fatso like you? I’d rather miss Jongin.” He stuck his tongue out. Eunji gaped at him. She brought a hand on her chest and faked a sob. “That hurt me.”

“Hmm. That’s good.” He shrugged nonchalantly.

She vigorously shook her head. “No, seriously.”

Myungsoo raised a brow at her. “What?”

“I’m really hurt.”

“What do you want me to do?”

“Buy me ice cream.” She smiled slightly, wiggling her brows.

Myungsoo smirked and neared her face, their noses were already touching. Eunji’s eyes widened; she tried to move away but he was holding her wrist.

She noticed how clear his skin was, how adorable his chinky eyes were, and how handsome that naughty smirk was. The hell.

Thump Thump Thump

“How about no?” He sneered and let go. She moved away from him immediately and scowled. “You are annoying.” She fibbed, trying her best to compose what’s left of her.

“Say that to yourself. And you know you love me.” He winked and chuckled. Eunji looked away and exhaled deeply.

*What did just happen?* She bit her lower lip again, now out of confusion.

 

Kai, Myungsoo and Eunji were walking out the school campus, the only girl dragging the two guys along. She loved the feeling of excitement she gets when she’s off to the ice cream shop. Lovely.

Is she forgetting about her job to do? Oh no she just needs to unwind from all the stress for a bit.

“Come on, slowpokes!” She pranced and grinned at the two. Kai slung an arm around her and tapped Myungsoo’s back. “Sorry to say this but I have a date.”

Eunji removed his arm on her shoulders and clung on to Myungsoo’s arm instead. “You traitor, leaving us behind. Right, Myung?” She tugged on his arm.

“It’s not like this is the first time.” Myungsoo muttered, not really interested.

“I thought you changed? Where’s the good guys Jongin?” Eunji teased, not even noticing how she was holding on to Myungsoo’s arm. Myungsoo was well… taking it in all to himself.

Simple joys, they say.

Kai smiled knowingly. “It was all an act. I can’t change, this is my title. And besides, you don’t need me. You have your jerk beside you.” He joked and threw Myungsoo a look.

On the other hand, Myungsoo really couldn’t understand the look Kai was throwing. His mind was as confused as his feelings. I thought Jongin likes Eunji, he inquired his own self. What is happening here?

Eunji bit her lip and slowly let go of Myungsoo’s arm. Somehow Kai’s words sounded… weird to her. Her jerk? What does that mean? Like he was hers? Gahd the sounded peculiar. She quickly shrugged off the thought.

“You know, just go.” She laughed awkwardly and pushed Kai away. He tapped her forehead once and grinned. “Eat lots of ice cream, Princess!”

“Will do.” She grinned back and waved.

Myungsoo tugged on her shirt. “Let’s go before it gets dark.”

“Okay!” She beamed. They were about to cross the street to Myungsoo’s car when a silver Audi careened just beside them, the brakes not even making a sound. Swift and fast.

“Who—“ Myungsoo mumbled, but he never got the chance to finish the sentence. The window rolled down as Tao’s face appeared. He removed his sunglasses and just stared meaningfully at Eunji.

Like he was talking with her through his eyes.

Eunji bit her lip again for the nth tme. She knew that look. And this is just as urgent.

Tao tapped the steering wheel impatiently. “Yi Jia Li, Kuài.” (Faster)

The hint of urgency never seemed to hide from Tao’s tone. He raised a brow at her, as if asking her what’s making her hesitant of going in.

She sheepishly turned to Myungsoo who was slowly processing the situation.

“Myung, this is kind of urgent. I need to go. Sorry.” She tapped his shoulder once. Myungsoo’s jaw clenched and unclenched. He turned to her and raised a brow.

“Like it matters if I ask you to stay.”He chukled bitterly.

“Myung…”

“Just leave.” He mumbled. She exhaled deeply and curled her toes. “I’ll call you.” She whispered lowly and gave him a light hug before slipping in the passenger’s seat.

The car quickly sped off, leaving Myungsoo standing there to himself.

 

He was pissed. Unreasonable as it is, he was pissed.

 

 

________________________________________

This is kinda long. Kinda.

Kekekekekekekekekekekekekeke

To those who subscribed to my Luhan fic, I feel so guilty for not updating it. Sorry for the semi-hiatus. I'm arranging my thoughts for its ending.

:> teeheee