A Step Closer

Can We both Win?

 

NARRATOR

 

 

The gray and heavy clouds loomed over the city of Seoul earlier than expected. It was still 7 in the morning, yet it was already drizzling. Sooner or later it would be a heavy downpour.

Eunji crossed her legs as she sat on their family lounge room. Her brows were furrowed; her thoughts were deep. She gripped her handphone and stared at the number she just dialed.

“I need someone to be with me in this thing.” She mumbled to herself. So many things are clouding her thoughts as of the moment, but still one thing reigns. She had to make things right; she could not let some impostor hurt her family.

“You coming or what?” The door burst open, and Lay appeared in a camo coat and jeans. He was twirling the car keys around his index finger.

“I’m going…” She mumbled absentmindedly, slipping in her sneakers and trailing behind Lay.

Still another thought won’t get out her mind too: Myungsoo. She was supposed to be angry big time at him; he didn’t believe her for goodness sake.

But he wanted an explanation. She knew he was making things right. He wanted to hear her out. Never in her whole life did she believe that the stupid cold jerk would ever think of hearing her out. But he wanted to. She was… touched.

Should she be?

Still, she could not do anything anymore. She was the only one who knew about Minah, and that meant only one thing. She was alone in this fight.

But she knew herself too well, she couldn’t avoid Myungsoo. Or even Kai.

They are both important to her. He is important to her, like she is to him.

She just did not know in what kind of way.

 

 

“Well? Still angry?” Kai bit his lower lip sheepishly as he opened the passenger’s door. Eunji sighed deeply and slipped out. She gave Kai a small smile.

“Stop acting like that, it doesn’t suit you.” She muttered.

“Does that mean… you’re not angry anymore?” Kai grinned, waiting for her response. Eunji bit back her smile and gave him her books. “Before I change my mind, Jongin.”

Kai smiled sheepishly, but as quickly as it appeared, it vanished and an uncertain anxious look replaced it. “Ji, about what you said…”

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

“But~”

“Forget it, Kim Jongin.”

Kai willingly got her books and smiled like a little child, he knew too well that he shouldn’t push further. “Where should we eat later, Princess?”

 

 

“Well the player and the brat.” Myungsoo clucked his tongue as the two arrived at their usual meeting place. Myungsoo took his place beside Eunji, as the three of them walked to their classes.

Myungsoo’s brows furrowed at how Kai was holding her waist, but he quickly shrugged it off later when Eunji spoke to him.

Oh, her effects on him. What happened to out cold-hearted jerk?

“Myung, can you come with me later? I need to go somewhere.”

Myungsoo could not hide his silly smile. “Why not Jongin?”

“Yeah, why are you excluding me?” Kai pressed.

“I don’t want to bother you. You have your make out sessions.”

“I’m a changed man for you, princess!”

“Yeah right.”

Myungsoo looked away, just to hide the impeccable smile on his lips. Kai was throwing a tantrum childishly, but as soon as he dropped the two off their shared class, it vanished.

He smirked triumphantly to himself.

“I guess I did my job.” He chuckled to himself as he swaggered away.

 

 

Myungsoo his lip anxiously. Eunji was sitting across him, silently concentrating on her phone.

“Ji?”

“What?” She mumbled, not even looking up. He exhaled and placed his arms on the table. “What are we going to do?”

She finally looked up, one of her brows raised questioningly. “Are we supposed to do something?”

He gave her a look, where his forehead creased displeasingly. “You were the one who told me if I could come with you and blah.” He pointed out, his arms now crossed. Her lips jutted in realization. “Right. Nothing, we just hang out?” She chuckled.

His lips tugged upwards. “Why without Jongin?” He asked, and he couldn’t help but feel somehow hyped. It felt like he won something.

“I don’t want to bother him.”

“Why me?”

“Yeah, why you of all people??” She rolled her eyes. Myungsoo did the same, now a little peeved but his happiness stopped any other feeling. “So you want to be with me and only me.”

“You want the same with me, don’t you?” She replied, her voice low that only the two of them can hear. The emotions that came with it were mixed, it couldn’t be identified easily. But still, the words itself were trying to tell something.

His brows furrowed. “W-what??”

“Nothing. I just want to eat ice cream and I know Jongin has some things to do. So I asked you and yeah. Does it look like I have other friends?” She shrugged, quickly recovering to her nonchalant self.

“Nope.” He slowly replied. Still he can’t get over the fact that constantly lingered on his mind. Does this mean I mean something to her?

But he was a coward. Of course he is.

“And yep, you’re too annoying to have other friends. I don’t even know how I can put up with you, you should thank me.” He added, with a playful tone and smile.

She gritted her teeth. “Thanks a lot, that was comforting.”

They both glared at each other intensely, but a few sconds later, burst out into giggling fits. They didn’t really have to talk to each other to prove some things.

Yes, maybe Myungsoo already knew one thing ahead of her.

And maybe she’s on her way to knowing more herself.

But they shared one thing at the moment; they knew one thing that they didn’t need to say themselves. It just existed, and it’s strong.

 

They need each other, because they were important to each other.

 

 

_______________________________________________