DITCH MEANS BEACH

MY FIRST AND ONLY LOVE

 

I can’t believe it.

It’s my first time ditching classes. I never went ditching classes since I started going to school. Here I am, so disappointed with my behaviour while my fellow ‘ditchers’ were very eager about it.

We are now at the parking lot, I turned towards my car. Yoona followed me and asked me jokingly.

“Hey S, are you quitting?” she grinned teasingly.

“My car,” I answered sarcastically showing her my car key.

She was amazed and spoke excitedly. “Where is it? Show me.”

I went to where my car was parked. The rest followed. As I opened the driver’s door, Joon spoke.

“I thought you were just joking,” he said amazed.

“So, it means that the lady owning the white Porsche is you,” Yong Hwa added.

My eyebrows crossed because I was puzzled by his statement.

“Our classmates were talking about a lady owning a Porsche car. They said that she’s simple yet pretty. They thought that she was really a wealthy lady, having a Porsche as her personal car. The gossip has been circling our building,” Yong Hwa answered my thoughts.

“We never thought that it was you,” Joon added. “Look at the cars surrounding us, your car really stands out.”

I looked again at the cars parked around, they’re all simple but there were two promising cars that caught my attention. One was parked two sections to the left, it’s a red Volvo car and the other car is a black BMW situated at the farther right side.

“That BMW and Volvo also stand out among the rest,” I said pointing the two cars.

Yoona laughed and looked at me.

“The Volvo is mine,” she spoke blissfully. “This morning when I woke up, I went to my window and was attracted to the shining red Volvo C30 parked outside. I suddenly went downstairs and asked Nanny if there’s a visitor but she answered me none. I went outside and went closely to the car. There’s an envelope that reads ‘Yoona’ so I took it. It’s from Uncle Joon Seok saying he’s leaving the car to me, so S and I won’t have difficulties in transporting. I did not expect that he has given S already.”

“So does anyone know who the owner of the BMW is?” I asked wondering.

“It’s mine,” Joon answered.

“Where’s your car?” Yoona asked Yong Hwa.

“I did not bring it. Since Joon and I were at the same building, we planned to ride on his car whenever we come to school,” Yong Hwa answered.

“And be our chaperon,” Tiffany added and asked. “So, where are we heading?”

“For us, ditch means beach,” Yong Hwa said enthusiastically. “We’re heading to the beach. We’ll be busy the following days so we planned to chill out before the busy schedule.”

“I’m not going,” I suddenly blurted.

Yong Hwa, Tiffany and Joon all went surprised with my reaction.

I don’t like beaches. It doesn’t mean that I hate the beach, I like the view and everything, watching when the sun rises and when the sun sets, it’s the waves that I don’t like. I always feel tidal waves coming towards me, whenever I see upcoming waves. That’s why I’d rather be inside the cottage than to be with the others playing happily by the seashore. My boundary is ten meters away from the sea water.

“Oh, she’s just joking. So what car will we use?” Yoona just suddenly changed the subject.

The three seemed to be relieved but I can see in their eyes that they were still curious.

 “I was planning to get the Citroen van at our house,” Yong Hwa spoke. “Since Joon will drop at our house for Tiffany’s things, the three of us will use the van going to your place. So, the five of us will all be together on one ride.”

“Nice plan, see you at our place,” Yoona responded.

All of us went to our cars and drove off.

Yoona and I arrived at my house the same time. We went upstairs to change. Actually I did not change, I just sat down on my bed. I was full of thoughts, about ditching classes, about the beach, and about Yong Hwa and Jin Yeon. Jin Yeon would really get mad if she’ll know about our escapade.

There’s a knock outside my door. The door opened and Yoona entered.

“I’ve already changed and packed my things but here you are, still worrying about many things,” Yoona said impatiently. “Cheer up, S. Everything’s going to be fine. You don’t need to swim with us and show off your beautiful body, just come with us.”

Another thing I don’t like about the beach is the show – off. Wearing two – piece swimsuits and showing each other their almost bodies. I really don’t like it.

“Hey, I’m not forcing you to wear those stuffs,” Yoona looking at me crossed, disturbed my thoughts. “I’ll choose a modest outfit for you.” She stood up and entered my closet. She already knew about my secret passage for she’s been coming to my room every time she wants.

I decided to wear anything that she wants me to wear, unless it’s a y dress, then I would not wear it. She went out from the mirror door bringing clothes, my green beach sandals and a big green shoulder bag.

“Wear this,” she said raising my yellow sundress, it has green flower figures on its bottom. I haven’t worn it for ages. It’s a short – sleeved whole dress, just as she told me a while ago, a modest dress for beach parties.

I took it from her hand and went to my closet to change. When I finished I came out and looked at my appearance by the swinging mirror. I can see a lady dressed in a yellow sundress. A ‘lady’ seemed weird. I am used of Yoona’s remarks of being an “untailored” gal.

Yoona clapped her hands and spoke. “Pretty! Okay, fixed up your things, the others will be arriving any minute now.”

I looked at her walking out to my door. She’s wearing an over – sized white cotton shirt, bearing a red haltered – bra inside, and paired it with red walking shorts. This girl’s really good with clothes.

I fixed my things together. I brought two long – sleeved shirts, one walking shorts, one pair of jeans, a jacket, a blanket, two pairs of my undergarments, two pair of socks, my toner and moisturizer, and my body lotion. I arranged all of it properly inside the big green bag. I brought along my small green Gucci hand bag. I put my cell phone, wallet, I – pod, digital camera, and sunglasses inside the hand bag. I heard a knock outside my door. It’s Nanny.

“They’re already downstairs,” she said politely.

“Okay, please tell them I’m coming,” I answered here kindly.

I looked around my room, I saw my unread books arranged at the square boxes by my wall. I chose one and placed it inside my hand bag and then I went downstairs.

“Let’s welcome the owner of the Joo Hyun Sanctuary, Miss Seo Joo Hyun,” Yoona declared.

The others stood up from their seats and clapped their hands. They were all laughing. Yong Hwa’s wearing a plain white shirt pairing it with black denim shorts and black slippers. Tiffany beside him is wearing white spaghetti – strapped dress and paired it with blue slippers which matched her blue hair band. It’s the first time I saw here loosing down her hair. She’s been tying her hair up since the first time I saw her. Joon on her side is wearing blue shirt with white linings and paired it with white denim shorts and white slippers. The couple really looks good together with their outfits.

I laughed at their joke and signed them to sit down but they did not sit. As a reached the sofa Tiffany spoke.

“Your house is really pretty,” she said genuinely.

“Thank you,” I responded.

“We better go, we still have an hour or two to travel,” Yong Hwa interrupted.

We climbed into the car. The three girls sat at the back seat, Yong Hwa will be the one who’s driving and Joon sat on the passenger seat so that if ever Yong Hwa gets tired he can switch with him easily. We left at exactly 1:35PM. We arrived at the beach at 3:15.

We entered into a private villa. The house was located approximately fifty meters away from the ocean. You can see three large huts by the shore. The view seemed so relaxing and the ocean really looks inviting but I turned away when I saw large waves coming.

 Just as exactly when the car was parked at the vacant lawn by the house, Tiffany and Yoona ran to the seashore.

I did not follow them but instead helped the guys carry our things inside the house. When all the things were transferred inside the house, Yong Hwa and Joon told me that they’re going to a nearby market to do the groceries. I want to go with them, since they are boys, they don’t know what to buy.

“It’s okay, Imo Shin Kye, our caretaker will go with us,” Joon told me. He’s referring to the woman who helped us carry our things inside the house. She’s a woman on her late forties having a really welcoming feature.

I was left alone at the house. I roamed around the house. I discovered four bedrooms upstairs. Each bedroom has its own bathroom. One room has three single – sized beds. The room is really refreshing with a very big glass window facing the ocean. I opened the window and the fresh cool breeze touched my skin. I waved at Yoona and Tiffany. They waved back and ran towards the house.

I went downstairs at the living room where our stuffs were situated. The two arrived and all of us carried our own stuff to the room I was from.

All of us chose a bed, Tiffany chose the left bed nearest to the bathroom, Yoona chose the bed on the right side, and having no other option I put my things on the centre bed. All of the beds were facing the big window that even if you were sitting on your bed you can clearly see the ocean outside.

“Where are the guys?” Tiffany asked me suddenly.

“Groceries,” I answered shortly.

“Do they know how to?” Yoona asked.

“The caretaker, Imo Shin Kye went with them,” I answered her.

“Ah... “ the two responded.

“Who owns this villa?” Yoona all of a sudden asked Tiffany.

“Joonie’s family own this. I heard from him that it’s been a long time since their family last visited here. He said that they bought this when he just turned fifteen years old. He said they always come here every break, but all of them became busy with their lives that they seldom visit here as a family,” Tiffany answered gradually.

Yoona and I just nodded to be polite.

We went downstairs and continued to converse. A couple of minutes later, the two guys and Imo Shin Kye arrived bringing big paper bags. They placed it on the kitchen table.

“The menu tonight will be barbeque,” Yong Hwa declared. “Since Imo Shin Kye needs a break, all of us will be doing it on our own.”

“It’s okay, I know how to cook,” I responded.

“Yeah, the best chef ever,” Yoona added exaggeratedly.

“I’m going to take Imo Shin Kye at their house, I’ll be back for a while,” Joon said looking at Tiffany as if her reply is the most important matter. Is love really like this?

“Okay, see you later,” Tiffany said.

When Joon and Imo Shin Kye left, I busied myself marinating the meat. I added spices and seasonings to the meat so it will be juicy.  Yong Hwa was preparing the sticks for the barbeque. Yoona’s making a fruit salad and Tiffany’s slicing the fruits. Good thing the guys had brought every ingredients needed.

“Oppa, I want to see you cooking again. I missed your dishes,” Tiffany said childishly.

All of us looked at Yong Hwa, he just smiled and asked Tiffany.

“What do you want?”

“The white spaghetti,” Tiffany answered.

“Okay, good thing we had the ingredients here, I’ll save it for our lunch tomorrow. We’ll be living tomorrow after lunch. Joong - joong’s having his rehearsal at 4:00PM for his show and at 6:00PM my band will be having a photo shoot for our album cover. We’re launching it two weeks from now. We’ll be very busy then,” Yong Hwa stated gradually while slotting the marinated meat into the sticks.

“I’ll be lonely again,” Tiffany mouthed.

“Ya, cheer up. We’re here,” Yoona cheered her.

“Oh, yeah... sorry,” Tiffany apologized and turn red. She smiled at me and looked at Yoona. “I might as well be glad with your presence, I can’t stand it any longer being a loner.”

I’m a loner, I’m a loner, daridiridaradu...” Yong Hwa sang his lines from their famous song ‘I’m a Loner.’

All of us laughed.

“What are you laughing about?” Joon asked from my back. We looked at his direction. We did not notice that he already came back.

“Nah, it’s none of your business,” Yoona joked at him.

All of us reacted and said “Oh...”

Yoona continued. “Your business is to help Yong Hwa - oppa, arrasso?”

All of us laughed and Joon joined along with our chores.

All of us finished slotting the meats and preparing the salad at 5:30PM. All of us went outside to cook the barbeque. We chose the centre hut. The hut has a round wood table inside and six wood chairs around it. Beside the hut is the grilling stand. The guys did the cooking. The girls just sat down eating the pizza that we bought when we passed a Pizza store on our way to the beach. Tiffany made fresh mango shakes for each one of us. The sweetness and coldness blends together.

The sun was setting so all of us were facing the ocean. The sky turned to orange, then to red. We can see the sun setting on the West. I suddenly remembered something, I returned to the house and get my digital camera. When I returned I signed them to pose and make the sunset their background.

All of them followed. The picture was great. Yoona offered to take my picture with the others. She took a picture of us. Tiffany and I were in the centre. Yong Hwa on my right side held my shoulder. I almost shriek but controlled myself. There was a white flash from the camera, a sign that Yoona was finished.

“Hey, Y, I think it would be better to use the self –timer so the five of us will get the picture,” I suggested.

Yoona placed the camera above the pitcher on the table, she adjusted some settings and then she suddenly went coming towards us. She kneeled between Tiffany and me. I see flashes of red from the camera, first it flashes gradually then it flashed rapidly. We prepared ourselves and the white flash came out, a sign that it’s already finish.

As I reached the camera, the four of them peeked behind my back to look at the pictures. The pictures went out well. After seeing all the pictures Yong Hwa borrowed my digital camera.

“Your face here really looks like the famous model Seo Hyun,” Yong Hwa stated then he looked at me.

I remained silent and then I looked at Yoona, she just placed her index finger on her lips.

“Do you know her?” Yong Hwa asked me. “You two really look alike.”

“I’ve seen her from magazines but I haven’t seen her personally,” I lied. It’s my first time to lie. I may be bad at it. “Yoona also told me that we have the same features but I don’t believe her.”

Yong Hwa just nodded.

He returned the digital camera and went to the grilling stand.

Later, Joon came to the hut carrying the barbeques.

“Time to eat,” he declared.

We said our graces and eat our light dinner. We chatted for hours, actually they chatted for hours. I was always silent for the whole time. When I felt bored I excused myself to go back to the house to wash the dishes.

I stood up first then Yoona stood up.

“What about we go night swimming?” she suggested.

I did not respond. I continued arranging the plates and utensils.

“Why not?” Joon seconded.

All of them went to the seashore. The hut is approximately ten meters from the ocean, it’s already my boundary. I have no plans of following them. I was surprised when two hands carried me abruptly.

“You’re not excluded!” Yong Hwa declared.

He’s carrying me towards the ocean. No way, I’m not going there. I heard the others laughing and yelling. I struggled myself to get down but Yong Hwa was really strong.

“Hey, oppa, put her down,” I heard Yoona spoke worriedly. She knows why I don’t like the ocean.

But Yong Hwa seemed determined. He did not put me down. I struggled more but I was too weak for him.

“Put me down!” I yelled at him. He seemed so surprised the way I was surprised with my behaviour. I never yelled at someone.

He continued carrying me towards the ocean. I was moving roughly and struggled a lot. I used my fist punching him to let me down. He puts me down and I felt the cold water that I am stepping on. I felt fluids rushing to my cheeks. I ran towards the house barefooted. I don’t know where my slippers went.

I entered the living room. Beside the sofa is a small gap before the wall. I fitted my slender body there. I sat on the floor and folded my legs closely and hugged it. I was crying. I never went to the ocean that closely. I was so afraid that the waves will devour and perish me. I don’t know why I hated the waves so much.

I stayed at that corner for a long time then I heard footsteps coming towards me. I bowed my head. It’s Yong Hwa, I knew it since he’s the only one wearing black slippers. I saw him carrying my green beach sandals.

He bended down, laid down my sandals on the floor and he suddenly carried me up. He transferred me to the long sofa beside me. Wow, this guy is very strong, or I was just that light. He sat beside me on the sofa. I can feel his left hand holding my back.

I took a glimpse of his face, he’s expression is worried. I bowed again. We were silent for a while then he suddenly broke the silence.

“I’m sorry. Yoona explained everything. I’m really, really sorry,” he said gradually. I can sense the sincerity in his words.

I looked at him and he faced me. His eyebrows crossed then it relaxed.

“I don’t want to see you crying,” he said concerned and wipe my tears with the back of his hands. But my tears keep racing downwards. I’ve been always a cry – baby. It seemed I can’t control my tears falling whenever I cried. They just keep on falling. It takes time to stop.

He kept on wiping my tears. A red sight on his face caught my awareness. The left side of his lips burst. I suddenly held it. He was shocked when I held it.

“What have I done?” I’m asking myself more than asking Yong Hwa. I’m aware that I did it. I was struggling so hard that I didn’t notice that I punched him strongly.

He grinned and talked. “You were a good puncher.”

I punched him lightly on his chest and smiled. I would never hurt this guy again. I can never hurt a guy who I fell in love with.

                Fell in love? Oh my! I’m in love with this guy who’s wiping my tears away. He had been great to me lately. But he’s in love with my foster sister Jin Yeon. I can’t steal him away from her.

                “I’m sorry,” I suddenly said. It’s not for Yong Hwa, it’s for my foster sister.

                “It’s okay,” he responded.

No it’s not okay. I can never fall in love with you! You are my sister’s boyfriend and you love each other.

I was surprised when he hugged me tightly. Why is temptation so close? I rested my head on his chest. I can feel his breathing and heard his heart beating. Hoping that this heart is beating for me, but it isn’t.

He suddenly sang a familiar song.

“You’re a darling, you’re more beautiful than the stars above in the night sky, the shining thing deep inside my heart, my own love light,”he stopped and talked.

I was just listening to him, laying my head on his chest.

“I made this song for my first love but she doesn’t seem to notice me. She’s famous that’s why I compared her to a star, a star that lights brightly inside my heart,” he said it softly.

“Jin Yeon’s not your first love?” I asked him.

He smirked and brushed my hair with his fingers. “No,” he answered honestly.

I did not respond. I closed my eyes and listened to his heart beat, thinking who might his first love be. We remained silent.

I heard him humming and then he sang again.

All I can remember is hearing the sweet song from Yong Hwa but I was surprised looking outside. It’s already sunrise. I’m already inside our room. Tiffany and Yoona are still sleeping. I silently went to the big window and watch as the sun rises from the East. I stand there for a couple of minutes then I retired. I took a bath and change to my usual outfit, shirts and jeans, bad thing I don’t have my sneakers with me.

I went downstairs and noticed that I woke up so early. I always woke up early. I remembered the saying “Early birds catches worm.” But I was too late for love. I wasn’t early for Yong Hwa, another bird who woke up earlier caught him. Jin Yeonalready owned him. I decided to cook for breakfast than to think about Yong Hwa and Jin Yeon.

 I went to the kitchen and gathered my ingredients. I cooked omelette and made sandwiches. I heated up the fresh milk and prepared the table. I was properly arranging the foods on the table when I got surprised with someone’s presence. I almost shriek when I saw him. It’s Joon.

He’s really creepy. His hair’s mess up and his face was really gloomy.

“I’m really hungry,” he said dryly holding his belly.

“Where’s your proper grooming?” I joked at him.

He did not answer me and sat directly to the chair by the table.

He took one sandwich and ate it directly. I gave him a glass of milk and sat on the chair fronting him.

“Thank you,” I told him.

He drank his warmed – milk and smiled at me.

What happened to this famous singer, he’s really childish this morning.

“I miss the day mom would prepare omelette and let me drink milk before leaving for school. When I smelled it I thought it is mom, but I remembered I’m on my own now,” he said it gradually. His eyes were teary.

Regression. He missed his family and used this defence mechanism to get through the pain. I sometimes do this way back at the States, Yoona would always comfort me then. I chose to remain silent. I don’t know how to comfort a person, I’d rather remain silent than to make an advise. Hello, I’m not a psychologist to give advices.

Later, the others came. They were all dressed – up. I think only Joon hasn’t taken a bath yet.

All of us finished our meal happily. Whatever happened the previous night was not talked again. We spend the whole morning chatting and I kept on stealing shots from them using my digital camera.

At 11:00AM, Yong Hwa began cooking the spaghetti. Tiffany and Yoona helped him. Joon had a phone call from his manager and he was talking with him outside. I was busy reading the book I brought.

Lunch came and Yong Hwa’s food was really good. I was thinking what a happy wife Jin Yeonwould be, having a very sweet and caring husband, cooking food for her. Yong Hwa and I never talked about what happened the previous night which really felt awkward.

As soon as we finished our lunch, we fixed up everything and went home. We arrived at 2:30PM. Tiffany decided to stay at my house for a while, saying she doesn’t have other things to attend to since Yong Hwa and Joon were going to work.

Yong Hwa and Joon directly left as soon as they dropped us.