FIRST SIGHT

MY FIRST AND ONLY LOVE

 

                I’m not staying at our house because I don’t want to. Like what I always say, I want to live normally. Living at the mansion would make me a millionaire; having all the maids around me really would not make my life simple. I want to be independent.

So, at the moment we’re staying at a condo unit my dad owned. The building was full of famous singers, actors and actresses.

They were all living there. Yoona would always say ‘I know that guy’, ‘I Know that girl’ and‘he or she is from the soap opera of like this and like that.’ I always hear her say those things when we pass someone. Yoona stayed at Los Angeles for a long time, instead of admiring famous Hollywood stars; she’s still admiring Korean actors and actresses. I always caught her watching Korean soap operas on online televisions. Well, that’s so Yoona!

“Uncle told me that we’re moving a day after the party. Do you know where?” she asked me curiously.

“He told me, I owned the house,” I answered her unsurely and shrugged my shoulders.

“Maybe he bought you a house and name it after you that’s why he told you it’s yours,” she said imaginatively.

I just shrugged my shoulders as a reply.

We were just unpacking the previous days and couple of days from now we’ll be packing again. Dad surely plans in different ways. Tonight, we’ll have a dinner at the mansion. I haven’t met Yuri – unnie and Alex – oppa since they were in college. They studied college at Los Angeles and stayed at our house. I really missed my foster siblings. I also heard from them that we have a new foster sibling named Jin Yeon. Maybe I’ll get to meet her tonight.

“Can you pick me a dress for tonight? Maybe I’ll end up wearing t-shirt, jeans and sneakers,” I asked Yoona jokingly. “You know, dinners at the mansion are always formal. I’m anticipating Appa won’t allow me to wear jeans.”

“Is that so? Why not wear the white dress I gave you on you our graduation. You haven’t worn it yet. It suits your personality, so pure and innocent,” she said it emphasizing the last four words, laughed and then spoke again. “Honestly, that dress suits you. I saw you trying it the night I gave it to you.”

“So you did peep,” I looked at her. She just shrugged her shoulders, playing blameless.

Yoona has also a talent with dresses just like her mom. In actual fact, she’s my personal fashion designer during parties. She would choose my outfits which in the end I would also like.

“Okay, I’ll wear it,” I agreed to her. “I think it would be better with sneakers.”

She laughed at my joke. “You wear sneakers and I would resign as your personal ‘fashion guru.’

I laughed along with her. “What will you wear?”

“I will wear a red dress to show my iness,” she answered laughing.

“Sure, you would,” I answered back.

I like white clothes and white stuffs. It’s really cool and relaxing to look at.

Since we slept late last night we end up waking up late this morning. So we’re having a brunch. We haven’t run to the market since the day we moved in the condo unit so we would always go down to the buildings restaurant to eat. It’s not healthy but Yoona insisted. She’s really lazy with the kitchen stuffs. I wished Nanny was here. It’s my turn now to buy the food since it was Yoona last night.

“What do you want to eat?” I asked her.

Kim chi soup, please,” she answered smiling.

“Yes, ma’am, you just have to wait for twenty minutes,” I responded, acting like a waiter in a restaurant.

She laughed and said “Thank you” and bowed.

I went outside wearing white long sleeves with a Mickey Mouse print in front and paired it with black walking shorts. My long straight hair was slacked down. I didn’t care what people would say about my outfit it’s just that all the people in the restaurant are all wearing formal dresses knowing that they are all famous stars. I’m so happy when I saw a guy who’s also wearing white long sleeves with a blue robot print in front and wearing black pants.

I was thinking of a couple – outfit with him. He seemed so tired and confused eating alone at one of the farthest table. He looked at my direction; actually he wasn’t looking at me he was looking at the glass door at my back, as if he’s waiting for someone.

Even just wearing a simple outfit the guy was so cool to look at. Even though his eyes are tired it still gives the impression of being appealing. His nose on a fine shape and those red lips, he’s indeed charismatic. This cool guy is so handsome. When I returned my eyes to his eyes he’s already staring at me. I looked away and busied myself looking at the menu at the counter.

At the corner of my eye I can see the guy standing. He is walking towards my direction. Is he coming towards me? I just realized that this guy was tall. I am tall but this guy was also tall, taller than me in fact.

Why is this guy walking towards my direction? Is he going to tell me that it’s rude to stare at someone because he caught me staring at him? Hey, is it forbidden to stare at a person who has all the charm in the world? I feel so uneasy that I forgot what to buy. I continued busying myself looking at the menu as he’s getting closer. When he’s only two meters away from me I suddenly closed my eyes and when I opened it after a couple of minutes he’s not in front of me. When I looked around, I saw him outside the glass door talking to a pretty lady. It’s Yuri – unnie. Why is he talking to her? Yuri – unnie held his forehead and they started walking towards the elevator.

I turned to the counter full of sweats. He was not walking towards me; he was walking towards the door to meet Yuri – unnie.

“Ma’am, are you okay?” the waiter ask me looking at my confused expression. “It’s seems like you we’re dizzy for you close your eyes for a couple of minutes ago and when you turned around you’re full of sweats.”

“I’m okay. I just forgot what my friend told me to buy... that’s why I closed my eyes to remember,” I answered him stuttering and smiled. He also smiled back shyly. What’s with my smile that this waiter suddenly turned red?

When I went back at our unit, Yoona was preparing the eating utensils.

“Hey, I thought you would return after twenty minutes but I think forty – eight years had passed,” she said jokingly.

“Have you ever seen the man of your dreams?” I asked involuntarily.

“De, in my dreams,” she answered still joking. She was not looking at me. When she noticed that I was silent she suddenly looked at me. “Ya, why are you asking me that silly question? Are you okay? What’s with you? Are you having a fever, you’re sweating plentifully.”

I was still silent. I don’t know what to say; even myself don’t know why I ask that question.

When I was still silent staring at her she went towards me and got the paper bag from my hands. She went to the table and prepared the food. After preparing the food she held my hand and let me sit on the chair facing the table.

“If you would stay like that for the rest of your life, then I would have to hire a private nurse for you. You’re like a mentally – ill, catatonic patient from a mental hospital,” Yoona said impatiently.

I look at her and she raised her eyebrows.

“Let’s say our graces,” I utter swiftly.

“So you’re not telling me what happened. Okay, fine, whatever. Let’s just eat,” she said irately and sat down on the chair in front of me. She began praying and started eating.

“I’ll tell you after we eat,” I told her. But she acted like she didn’t even hear a single word. I just continued eating thinking that this dull situation would end later.

After eating I began washing the dishes and Yoona went to the bathroom to take a bath. After washing the dishes I waited for Yoona at the bedroom. When she went out from the bathroom she wore a pink short sleeves shirt and white walking shorts.

“Okay, explain,” she suddenly spoke to me. She’s drying her hair with the towel.

That’s Yoona; she can’t take it when she really wants to know it.

I related to her everything that happened, from the moment I’ve seen that guy until the moment the guy and Yuri – unnie went to the elevator.

“And he made you ask that silly question... I’m impressed with this guy’s charisma because the ‘choosy’ you was really caught by his attention. I can’t wait to see him.”

I just smiled at her statement.

“But Yuri – unnie never told us that she has a boyfriend now,” she said curiously.

I just nodded at her.

“You’re like a mute now. Speak up,” she said light-heartedly. 

I laughed. “We’ll get to know it tonight. We’ll ask unnie. I’m still wondering, if that guy stays here, he may be one of the famous actor, right?”

“Maybe,” she answered. “What could be his name? What unit is he staying or ‘they’ are staying,” then she looked at me.

I looked at her disappointed. “Yuri - unnie is still staying at our house; she would not even exchange her room for a ten – star hotel room.”

“You’re right. She loves her room that much that even when I visited her in the mansion when I was still staying here, she would always say ‘be careful with this and that.’ She sure is a meticulous feminine doctor,” Yoona said wandering.

“Well, that’s so Yuri,” I responded.

We were silent for a moment and looked at each other.

“But, who’s that guy?” we spoke at the same time and laughed.