ALMOST... HAPPINESS

MY FIRST AND ONLY LOVE

 

Of course, knowing the past misunderstanding, we can’t let it pass. So, one Sunday afternoon we decided o make conditions to avoid certain quarrels.

                “Okay, you can start listing our conditions, Hyun. What would be the first?” Yong Hwa – oppa spoke while rubbing his chin with his right hand, as if he was really thinking hard.

                We are sitting on the round wood table beside my swimming pool, just enjoying the gentle breeze. Yong Hwa – oppa was sitting right beside me, steadied his left hand on my chair’s leaner. 

                “I think since we are not always together, we should find ways to communicate,” so I wrote down.

1.       Don’t forget to call or leave a text message to each other.

Yong Hwa – oppa sneaked and read the phrase, he then spoke, “I think we should marry, so we’ll be always together.”

I glared at him and he just laughed and told me he was joking.

                We are still both young to marry, we both know that. But it came to me, what will happen if ever I marry Yong Hwa – oppa? But then retired from thinking so.

We continued making our condition, sometimes making fun and laughing about it because of its sub – conditions.

We even ate dinner there because of talking about each condition and formulate the best ones. I was the one who’s writing but Yong Hwa oppa, always put sub – conditions on the broad ones. I would also add some on the other conditions which he will just agree, actually he always agree to whatever I say, he always listen in every word I say, always looking at me intensely.

So before he said his goodbyes, we wrapped up the list.

CONDITIONS

1.       Don’t forget to call or leave a text message to each other.

2.       No secrets . Always tell each other’s problems to work things out.

3.       When something goes wrong hear each other out.

4.       Don’t fall in love with another man or woman... or you’ll die.

5.       Inform each other’s schedule every Sunday.

6.       Sunday is a couple day, no buts unless it is between life and death, kekeke

7.       Inform delays ahead of time.

8.       No public revelation about the relationship to avoid issues.

9.       No ex-talks (Hyun doesn’t have any, Yong - oppa has lots, kekeke)

10.   Yong oppa don’t have to fetch Hyun if there’s a work schedule to attend to early in the morning.

11.   No mildang... (we can’t tell what will happen everytime, so expect there are some sometimes :P)

12.   Express each other thoughts and opinions all the time.

13.   No lies.

14.   Love each other always, and forever.

15.   No public display of affection (only the habit of kissing the cheeks as a greeting is allowed.)

 

I typed the conditions on my laptop and print two copies. We both signed at the bottom right of each copy, like it was a contract and both have one copy each.

 

“I’ll be going then, Hyun – ah,” Yong Hwa – oppa bid his goodbye. I will not be able to see him the following days since they’ll be promoting to Japan more of these coming days.

He left me with a goodbye kiss and he went off.

  

I really felt happy having Yong Hwa – oppa as my boyfriend, he really showed me how to love and how to be loved. For each date that we have it has always been exceptional because he’s there with me.

We find ways to enjoy our vacant days, just enjoying each other’s presence through the day we are together.

We exercise together, eat breakfast together, I would cook something special when he visits me in my place and he would also cook something special for me when he invites me into his place. We even visited the amusement park enjoying the crazy disguises we made to avoid paparazzi.

Months have passed and another semester came, as usual, having busy schedules, we always find time to meet. Yeah, it was exhausting, but maybe it’s because of love that we were able to surpass every hindrance that will come our way. Guess, the happiness that we’re feeling with each other’s presence is really motivating.

During our next days together, we cook together, enjoying the epic fail of the new discovered dishes, I sometimes visit Yong – oppa during his recording on those music programs, trying my hardest not to get attention from the fans that surrounds them.  It was really funny when we decided to go shopping, instead of me going around picking dresses it was Yong – oppa who is more energetic on choosing best dresses for me, like he was my fashion stylist instead.

                I moved up on being a third year college student as Yong – oppa being a graduating student. I was really surprised how fast time passes; as if we became lovers just yesterday and in one blink we were already together for two years. Maybe you can’t really notice time if you enjoyed the days you have.

                Winter came and I asked oppa to teach me snow skiing, since I’ve read from the magazines that he was really good at it which oppa eagerly agreed. It was really hard in the beginning but I was able to learn and enjoy it eventually. With oppa being beside me, guiding me, I think things will a lot be easier. That’s why I can’t imagine myself without oppa anymore. I can’t really take that, even imagining about him being away was not amendable. We planned to do another skiing but our schedules would not let us, so instead of travelling a couple of hours to go skiing, we went to the nearest ice rink and enjoyed ice skating. I was not really good, but Yong – oppa held me and all of my fears fade away.

                They were promoting at Thailand so he convinced me to go with him there. We travelled together a day before the other members will go there. He told me that he wants to enjoy a day with me alone at Thailand. We just roam around Thailand, avoiding the beaches to avoid complications with the trauma I experienced when I was still young, knowing that it was in Thailand. Not now, at least.

                At Yong – oppa’s graduation, instead of celebrating it with the rest of the gang, he wants to celebrate it with me, and saying he’ll be celebrating it with his family the following day. All he wants to do is spent the whole night with me, of course that would mean no sleeping at all.

                Since the program ended by 12:00pm we dine out and right after that we made a joint bank account, stating that we would religiously deposit money every end of the month. It’s for our future date and probably if we end up together, we will enjoy this savings with our future family. We were walking down to town when we pass by a blood center, the post says, “We need blood type A.”

                When I looked at Yong – hwa oppa, he was busy fiddling with his phone, so I asked him.

                “Oppa, do you want to do something unusual on your graduation day?”

                “As long as it’s not bad, why not?” he smiled while answering me.

                “What’s your blood type?” I asked smiling back at him.

                “Yah, you’re smile is creepy...” he looked up to the post and then he started moving back,” no way, I won’t do that.”

                I caught his hand and playfully said, “Don’t you like the idea that you would donate something on your graduation, a sign that you were really grateful that you graduated.”

                “Hyun – ah,” he said while holding his nape.

                “Please~” I mouthed.

                He just nodded defeated and followed me to the blood center.

                 Both of us undergo exams and then after knowing that we pass to donate blood, we donate directly and signed the logbook of all the ones who donated blood.

                Oppa seemed relieved after we went out of the blood center and told me that we need to eat something to compensate what we loss, so we went to the nearest Italian Resto Bar and ate some pasta and he ordered goguma latte for me. He was already aware that I am really addicted to sweet potatoes. We went cycling to the nearest park and rain poured so we ended up playing under the rain so the supposed to be overnight date was postponed. We directly went home to avoid catching a cold from being damp.

                I’m about to enter my last year for college and oppa was offered a Drama, and he is the leading actor. It would be a busy year for both of us, which determined us to still make quality time with each other.

                During the whole year we were able to do things which we thought we would never do.

                I was surprised knowing that Yong – oppa knows how to drive a motorbike, and one Sunday, he came fetching me with a motorcycle, since he was determined to ride me off, I climb on the bike and then I held him tightly when we started on the road. It was refreshing and I really enjoyed it. I thought I would never ride on a motorbike until I die, because I thought it is really dangerous.

                Another is he surprised me on our third year anniversary with a guitar. He said he’ll be teaching me to play it during our vacant time. I was really moved, knowing that he is sharing his interest with me all the time.

                The other things were, meet the gang and we enjoyed chit chatting and killing the time, we seldom meet these days because our schedules don’t meet at all. But it’s good to know that we still have time to communicate each other through phone calls and SMS. We also have time visiting Yong – oppa’s grams at Busan and enjoyed roaming around the big farm the oldies own. Fetching strawberries and ate it with delight.

                We were driving around Seoul when we notice high school students walking at the sidewalks.

                “I wish I could wear my high school uniforms again,” I suddenly spoke.

                Yong – oppa who was driving the car, replied. “As if you have your uniforms with you.”

                He was grinning and I also laughed. Yeah. Both our uniforms were left at LA.

                We also enjoyed being the bride’s maid and a groom’s man on Alex – oppa and Shin ae – unnie’s wedding. I was really surprised to know that Shin –ae unnie is Jong Hyun – oppa’s older sister. I really don’t know about it.

                The gang was complete and they promised us that they will be present on Tiffany and my graduation.

                Another explosive stuff is that my mom and dad are back together. I was really surprised and was really happy.

                Yuri – unnie told me that she caught them dating again and then one early morning when she was about to go to the hospital, she bumped into mom in the house wearing dad’s pyjamas.

                And then dad called for a dinner and announced that they are back together.

                I did not ask furthermore and was happy enough for my parents.

                My graduation came, of course oppa had already set the date to be a free day for him just to congratulate me on my graduation.

                It was during the giving of diplomas when somebody collapsed. But the medical team already stabled the circumstance and the program continued.

                I really don’t know why I became the most achiever among my graduating class, so it’s only normal to speak for my class.

                When I was on stage, I searched for him but I can’t find him.

                I continued delivering my speech setting aside Yong – oppa’s absence.

                The program ended but I still can’t find Yong – oppa.

                I was about to feel disappointed and would call him and condemn him for not coming but he came with his eyes full of weary.

                “Mianhe,” Yong – oppa mouthed. There is sincerity in his voice but it was broken.

                Instead of being angry at him I began empathizing his behaviour.

                “Is there anything wrong...”

                I was cut off when Tiffany came running towards us, she was crying.

                “How’s appa...oppa...” Yong – oppa was consoling Tiffany, hugging her.

                “He’s in the hospital,” he spoke full of hurt.

                “I-is he okay?” Tiffany’s cracked voice spoke.

                “He haven’t woken up yet,” he answered like he don’t want to say anything at all. “He will not be waking up again.”

                Streams of tears came flowing to my cheeks. I feel so sorry seeing my love bleeding inside, I can see it into his eyes, even though he’s not crying. It an invisible bond between the two of you that connects you to each other’s feelings.

                I was really happy, and I thought this happiness would remain through the years, but an incident like this will only make a sudden change of feeling.

                In life, happiness is there, but it doesn’t mean it would always be happy all the time, sometimes sadness, brokenness, and grief is also present.

                Instead of celebrating the best days of our lives, we ended up being at the funeral.