SORRY

MY FIRST AND ONLY LOVE

 

It was the night before the day I would go to Jeju Island to start the renovation. I wanted to have a good sleep to prepare my mind for tomorrows designing, but I can’t sleep.

I’ve been thinking about Yong Hwa oppa so much lately.

Thinking, am I really impulsive and immature the time I decided to leave Korea to hide away from him? Not giving him the chance to explain? Not letting him know about our child’s existence? Being too proud to forgive him?

I accidentally heard Tiffany and Soo Young unnie at Hyun Hwa’s room talking about Yong Hwa oppa.

Tiffany and Joon oppa are having a break so they brought Hyun Hwa with them to the beach, which Hyun Hwa really liked.

As soon as I arrived from the office, Nanny informed me that they have returned, so I hurried to Hyun Hwa’s room.

Being away from me for three days really made me miss my daughter. I also want to have a chat with Tiffany since we haven’t chatted for a while.

The door was slightly opened, I was about to push the door when Tiffany spoke,

“Yong Hwa oppa is back in Korea. Tonight is his welcome party at our company.”

“Are you here to invite Joo Hyun? You know she won’t go,” Soo Young unnie told her.

“I know,” Tiffany sighed. “It’s been a long time since I’ve seen them together.”

“How was it to see them being together? Are they good together?” Soo Young’s voice became interested.

I want to walk in to stop them from the useless conversation they are doing, but my feet won’t move, my whole body won’t.

“Seeing them together is like seeing a couple who are truly in love. You can see the sweet gazes they are sharing, their eyes shows how happy they are being together. It seems they have their own world that only the two of them can understand their own love language. Their love was pure that others would surely be envious of. I was so sad to the fact that they broke up.

“I never really thought that they will break up, I thought they will end up happy together. Until one day, Joo Hyun suddenly left without a single world. When she ran away, Yong Hwa oppa arrived from Los Angeles. He was shocked when he knew that she left. He said it was his fault. We learned from him that he broke up with her, that he was just really not in his mind when he said those words. He was suffering too much from appa’s death and the company is giving him too much pressure, not mentioning he also studies at the same time. I can see in oppa that he was not ready about everything but he tried his best to get through.

“He was really sorry about what happened. He told me that he will try his best to look for Joo Hyun but suddenly he stopped looking for her. It is hard to look for a person who doesn’t want to be seen. Maybe oppa got tired, he is only human. I can’t blame any of them. But I think both of them still have feeling towards each other.” Tiffany spoke full of concern.

“I agree with you,” Soo Young unnie agreed. “Joo Hyun would not continue hiding from Yong Hwa unless she hates him. But as we all know, Joo Hyun is too good to hate somebody.”

“Yeah, maybe she hates him that badly because she is still in love with him. If Yong Hwa oppa has nothing to do with her, she wouldn’t care if Yong Hwa oppa knows about Hyun Hwa,” Tiffany followed up.

“We will only know if she doesn’t love him anymore, it would be if she doesn’t care anymore about him and starts talking about Yong Hwa casually,” Soo Young unnie concluded.

He was sorry..? He looked for me...?

I still care about him because I still love him... am i?

I felt the tears flowing through my cheeks. Before they would see me crying, I’d rather locked myself somewhere.

I hurriedly went out to my brand new white Holden Commodore and drove off.

I tried my best to drive safely even though my eyes are a bit blurry. I don’t know where I am driving to. I keep on driving until I came to a familiar park.

It was the park where Yong Hwa brought me. The solitude of Jayu Park only adds my feelings of enigma. Confused by the words I heard from Tiffany. I know eavesdropping is not good, but I can’t stop myself listening over their conversation.

I remembered the day Yong Hwa oppa first brought me here, saying I’m the first person.

It’s the first time I brought someone with me here,” he started. “I always come here whenever I want to be alone, but at this moment I want to share this place with someone whom I trust most, as if I’m entrusting my life to her.”

He trusted me.... I know that... but I did not return the trust he gave me.

Opening my mind now, it was also my fault. What if I waited for him to come back? What if I waited to hear him out? What if I did not leave? What if... full of ‘what ifs.’

I went to the stone bench, holding my chest with my left hand while slowly robbing the vacant seat. Maybe, just maybe if I did those things, that guy would be beside me now.

I was really sorry towards him, for acting without thinking, for turning away from him, and for giving up on him.

I wish I could turn back time, to where I could make my wrong doings right, but I know I can’t.

This must be our fate, not to be together, and all I need to do is to accept it.

No, it’s not too late, right? I can still correct all of it, talking to him would be precise, and asking for forgiveness would be more exact. My mind thought. But can I do it? Wait, is he still single?

I wiped my tears away with the back of my hands. I sighed deeply to release some of the barred air on my chest. I circled my head and notice there were few people around, some are couples and others are single like me. But one figure caught my attention.

He was sitting to the wooden bench, facing his back towards me. I can’t stop myself comparing his back to someone, Yong Hwa oppa exactly. The dark – haired guy with the dark suit with the habit of leaning his arms on the bench’s leaner really gives me the impression. Is he really back in Seoul?

So, to stop myself from imagining things, I stood and left the park without turning back.

And here I am now, thinking deeply how to make myself sleep.

When I arrived home, I went directly to my room to avoid questions from the people around me. I learned from nanny that Tiffany left with Soo Young unnie to attend a party. She also told me that Hyun Hwa was too tired that she slept earlier than the usual.

The time now is 2:45am, I decided to go to Hyun Hwa’s room to check on her.

There, I see my angel sleeping soundly without any problems drawn in her face. I silently went on her bed and lay beside her, putting away the hairs covering her face.

She moaned, a sign that she might wake soon.

“Hmmmm... mommy....” she sleepily spoke.

“Sleep, sweetie, mommy will sleep beside you,” I ensured her.

“Goodnight mom... I love you,” she spoke before closing her eyes again.

“I love you, too,” I responded.

I did not notice that I fell asleep but was grateful that I did sleep to relax my mind.

I was getting late for my flight so I did not took my breakfast anymore. My things were prepared already yesterday so after I took a bath and change into a casual outfit, I hurriedly drove to the airport without saying goodbye to my daughter. Thinking that calling her later would be okay.

As soon as I arrived at the airport, my team guided me to our flight and then we took off.

When we arrived at Jeju Island, cars from the company that we’ll be working with fetch us.

We’ll be staying for two days there to look over the hotel and what part of it does the new owner want to modernize.

We were accomadated at a well – furnished hotel also owned by the company. I think the owner was indeed wealthy having this kind of business.

It was still early so I decided to go to the hotel’s restaurant to eat since my stomache is really hungry.

I sat on the farthest table near a wide glass window where you can see a beautiful sight of Jeju Island. After eating I went back to my designated room and change into formal attire, since we will be meeting the owner in a few moments.

I wore a white blouse under the black blazers, tucked it with the pencil – cutted skirt lenghting just an inch above my knees and wore my black heeled shoes. My long brunnette hair was styled in a natural wave manner. I've decided to grow my hair back.

I waited at the hotel’s lobby where our staffs decided to meet. I was the first one to arrive so I decided to call Hyun Hwa.

“Mommy,” it was clear that she was crying. “You told me that you’ll be sleeping with me, but you left.”

“I’m so sorry, sweetie... mommy did sleep beside you, but moomy needs to wake up early because of work,” I explained.

“But Soo Young unnie says you’re far away....” she continued crying.

I suddenly heard a laugh on the other line. “Ya,” it was Soo Young unnie. “Since it’s Saturday tomorrow, there will be no work for me.”

“What are you planning?” I asked her but already know what she would tell me.

“I’m going there with Hyun Hwa... no need to panic dear. We’ll be going there with the gang. Yoona and Teuk are having a break, and it’s still Tiffany and Joon’s break. So everyone would be going there with the kids,” she excitedly informed me.

“But...”

“No buts sissy... just wait for us tomorrow,” she told me.

“Joo Hyun – ah...” a familiar sweet voice called me on the other line.

“Who’s this?” I asked.

“Ya! It’s yout daughter’s doctor,” she said.

“Shaine? You came back...” I was surprised and excited to hear her.

“Yeah, I’ll be there tomorrow...see you,” she said.

Then we bid our goodbyes.

I guess tomorrow would be a beautiful day for all of us.

Shaine is happy with Jong Hyun oppa now. I know, I’ll be the single mom again, all of them are in pairs.

Not having Yong Hwa will not make the gang complete. But he is back right? Will he come, too? Nah, I think Soo Young unnie or the others will not invite him... knowing the fact that Hyun Hwa is there... and I am not yet ready...

Not ready? You already planned to talk to him last night, I chided myself.

“Aigoo,” I sighed.

All of us went to the site and began observing the the old hotel.

“What atmosphere does the owner want to convey here?” I asked the owner’s assistant, Il Woo. The owner was still on his way from Soeul.

“He wants a simple but elegant design. He always goes for simplicity but always make sure that even in its simple outcome, it will give the impression of classiness towards the customers. He always wants to have a motif of black and white,” the assistant politely answered me.

I guess the man is really masculine.

We continued circling the old hotel and took note on the necessities that are needed to be done.

“Have you contacted the furniture firm that will be catering us, Taeyeon -ssi?” I was talking to my assistant designer, Taeyeon unnie.

“Ye, they said they’ll be coming over tomorrow to have a meeting with us. They’ll arrive around 8:00am,” she answered me.

Our conversation was halted when the Il Woo spoke.

“Mr. Jung’s airplane had a problem so their flight wer postponed. He’ll be arriving a little late this afternoon. He said he was really sorry about this and promised to be present on tonight’s dinner meeting,” he informed us.

Mr. Jung? It disturbed me but just forget about it.

We had an early dinner at the hotel’s restaurant.

I sat with Taeyeon unnie and chatted with her while waiting for the Company owner that we’ll be meeting with.

“You know what, I was loitering at the hotel’s lobby this afternnon waiting for some eye candy, and I was so happy to see one,” she started. “He was wearing those vintage ray bands so I can’t see him clearly when he was still outside the automatic glass door. The automatic doors opened and remember that owner’s assistant, Il Woo?”

“Ne?” I replied.

“Il Woo welcomed him. He was dark – haired and tall. He wore an expensive dark suit and when he took his ray band, his good – looking features really made my eyes crave for him more. I think he is the Company’s owner. He’s too young to be a company’s owner though,” Taeyeon unnie pouted. “I guess we have the same age.”

“I thought he’s an ajhussi to us,” I asked her.

“Ani, he’s really young,” she responded. “Omo, here he comes with his arresting smile.”

Even before I turned toward the object of her attention, my heart went crazy, making it hard for me to hear the commotion happening around while welcoming the honoured guest.

I think the new owner of that old hotel is a friend of your dad, since he personally talked to your dad to tell him that he agrees about having us as the ones to renovate the hotel.

Yong Hwa oppa is back in Korea.

Mr. Jung.

He was dark – haired and tall.

Omo, here he comes with his arresting smile.

I slowly turned my head to the owner of the company we were working with. And there I see him, his black carelessly cut hair, his tall figure, his droppy but charming eyes, and his arresting smile.

I stood up unwillingly, maybe it’s a bit awkward sitting alone while the others stood up to welcome him.

“Here’s our chief designer,” Il Woo introduced me.

“Ah, Seo Joo Hyun – ssi,” Yong Hwa oppa casually spoke.

I can see the curiousity of the staff’s eyes.

“Do you happen to know her already?” Il Woo asked, not hiding his surprised.

“Of course, she’s my wife...” He spoke carelessly while looking at me meaningfully.

Silence.

Then he grinned. “More of a dream,” he then looked at the staffs. “I mean, who wouldn’t know the famous model Seo Joo Hyun. I was a fan of her way back and dreamt of marrying her.”

The others laugh while I bowed to hide my flushing cheeks.

“Thank you so much for this dinner. Let’s enjoy each other’s company,” he started and we all sat on our designated chairs.

Never again did I see him look back at me.

“Are you okay? You’ve been silent after he arrived,” Taeyeon unnie noiced my silence.

I just shook my head.

I excused myself even before the wines were served.

Instead of going to my room directly, I went to the hotel’s rooftop.

All I wanted is to be alone.

I would like to sort out my feelings.

I close my eyes as I felt the cool breeze of the late evening and it refreshes me.

“Crying again?” I know it was him.

Why does he keep on following me?

Now is your chance to talk to him, Joo Hyun,my mind told me.

I wiped the tears that I thought were not falling, I did cry.

“Sorry... I’m really sorry..about everything...about us,” I started.

He smirked. “Sorry won’t do, Joo Hyun. It won’t mend the pain you’ve cause me.”

“You broke up with me,” I told him angrily. “So don’t you dare put all the blame on me.”

“Yeah, it was my fault, but did you ever thought why?” He asked. Fury was in his eyes. “You know all along that I’ve been suffering from my father’s death, how the public condemned me when I left my band, how I was pressured about handling my dad’s company and how I was doing my best at school. Never did I hear your concern Joo Hyun, instead you keep on nagging me to call you every now and then. Slamming me that I might be cheating on you because I’m not calling you.

“You know me that well, you know I woulnd’t do that. You distrust me while I’m giving you all my trust Joo Hyun. I came back for you, but you were nowhere to be found! You didn’t even give me the chance to explain.”

“I waited for you, about a month....” I told him. I don’t know if I was angry or not, all that I think of is that I was really wrong for being impulsive that time.

“Is a month enough to wait? We’ve been together for years but you give up with just a month. During that moment I was thinking of ways how to make it up to you, but in return you mock me for giving up after three full months? I am in the midst of crisis that time, but you never asked! You never asked!” He told me, his voice was full of hate.

“I said, I’m sorry,” I repeated.

“Sorry is not enough... another thing that hurt me most is that after four months of searching for you, I was happy to finaly see you but I found you pregnant with another man. Do you know how hard was it for me to stop myself from killing that guy?”

“You really searched for me?” I mouthed, river of tears were running through my cheeks to my chin, swiftly flowing.

“This conversation is useless. Don’t let me see those lying tears from you anymore. It won’t trick me this time,” he then left without looking back at me.

I sat flatly on the floor and cried all my heart.

Blaming myself for not having the courage before to fight for him.

Blaming myself for being too proud.

I close my eyes and planned to stay like that, waiting for the truthful tears to stop.

Then it was complete darkness.