FORMAL INTRODUCTION

MY FIRST AND ONLY LOVE

 

          “Joo Hyun – ah, appa is nagging me about your boyfriend, he wants to meet him, as if he hasn’t met Yong Hwa yet,” Yuri – unnie sang on the other line. She just called to inform me that daddy wants to have a dinner with Yong Hwa – oppa and he wants me to set a date.

 

          “You know how busy he is right now, unnie,” I answered back at her.

 

          “I know, I know, but you better talk it out with Yong Hwa so the date will be set soon,” she said firmly. “Appa is nagging me about it.”

 

          “Arrasso, unnie. I’ll call oppa and update you,” we then bid our goodbyes.

 

       “Who’s that?” Shaine who was sitting on my bed busied herself reading some articles from her iPad. She didn’t even bother to look at me.

 

       Shaine as a manager was really helpful. Knowing that we have the same personality really made things easier. She always send me my “to do list” the night before my schedules the following day. She is staying at one of my guest room since we did some renovation at her condo unit. It’s an advantage for both of us because we can now communicate easily having the same house.

 

           “Oh, just Yuri – unnie, reminding me about the dinner again,” I answered her.

 

She then looked at me and placed her iPad on my bed beside her.

 

           “Hmmm... meet the parents?” she teased me. She was now looking at me.

 

           “Ehhh... they already meet already. Actually, oppa ask permission from dad before he courted me,” I clarified. Her look was surprised.

 

            “Sincha? Seldom are the men who do that these days,” she was really amazed.

 

          “Well, my boyfriend is one of kind,” I giggled. I’m indeed proud of my boyfriend. Who wouldn’t be? A gentle, caring, truthful, and loving boyfriend, that is Yong – oppa to me.

 

            We did not publicize our relationship to avoid hot issues, and both of us really agreed about it. As long as we can see each other comfortably out of the public’s eyes, dating, with only our family and friends know about this, is already enough.

 

              There was a knock from the door, “Come in,” I spoke loudly so the one who knocked can hear me.

 

Nanny popped her head and spoke. “Yong Hwa is downstairs.”

 

“Okay, please tell him, I’m coming,” I replied.

 

“Speaking of the devil,” Shaine and I spoke at the same time just as Nanny closed the door. We both laughed and went downstairs.

 

The exhausted guy was sitting carelessly on the living room’s sofa. It was clear in his eyes that he hasn’t slept for ages.

 

“Aigoo, you’re very tired, oppa,” I sat beside him and kiss him on the cheeks. It became a manner already.

 

His face suddenly lit up. I know he was just acting but it was sure comical.

 

“Ahhh... I’m relieved now!” he grinned and kissed me back on my cheeks.

 

“Aish, too much mushiness,” Shaine interfered. I almost forgot her presence. “Get a room.”

 

Yong – oppa was amused so he wrapped his arms around me, “Ohhh, our dear Shaine is jealous. You should get a partner soon, you’re not getting any younger.”

 

Shaine just shook her head gradually and pouted.

 

“Oppa, does that mean, I’m not getting any younger, too?” I joked. Shaine and I have the same age. We are both twenty years old. But because of her intelligence, she graduated college by the age of twenty.

 

“Anyo, I’m just kidding,” Yong Hwa – oppa laughed then spoke again. “It’s just amusing to see her with a partner.”

 

“Oppa, there you go again with your imaginations. Like what I always say, I’m not yet ready,” Shaine spoke full of pressure.

 

“Arrasso, arrasso... but why not hook up with Jong Hyun?” Yong Hwa oppa continued.

 

“Ehhh... oppa, not that match – making game again. Besides, Jong Hyun oppa likes someone else,” Shaine suddenly blushed, but I can sense the sadness in her tone.

 

“And you’re jealous because of that, go confess to him now,” I jived with them.

 

Shaine looked at me and smiled a little. She looked at the glass window to our right side, then spoke, “I don’t have the right to be jealous.”

 

“Yah! Why so serious? I’m just kidding,” I giggled with her guilty reaction.

 

Yong Hwa oppa laughed along with me then Shaine just keep on shaking her head gradually while smiling.

 

“By the way, oppa, Appa is telling me to set a dinner with you,” I suddenly remembered Yuri – unnie’s call. “He wants a formal introduction, he’s always like that.”

 

“How about tonight?” he looked at his watch. “I will be busy the following days. Need to prepare for the release of our next mini – album.”

 

I also looked at my watch, it’s still 3:00 pm. There’s still four hours to prepare for dinner. “Okay , it’s settled then. I’ll call unnie right away,” I glanced at Shaine. “Why don’t you join us tonight Shaine? The dinner would be at the mansion.”

 

“Nah, I have to meet Hyukie,” she was referring to Min Hyuk. She always calls her cousin that way. “I also missed that guy.”

 

Because of being my manager, Shaine wasn’t able to attend her personal matters. She was really into her job that I feel guilty sometimes. Good thing I don’t have any schedule today and the following day, so she can do whatever she wants with this free time we are having.

 

After I called Yuri – unnie, Yong Hwa – oppa went off directly to prepare and get dress for dinner.

 

As soon as he left, Shaine and I went to my room to choose my outfit.

 

“I wish Yoona was here,” I suddenly breathed.

 

“Yah, don’t you believe in my abilities?” Shaine said light – heartedly.

 

I just smiled and we went to my closet.

 

Shaine’s family owned a garment factory, and having her mother as a Fashion weed influenced Shaine to be aware of appearance and fashion as well. She wore high –fashioned dresses a lot the previous years I’ve known her, but she still looks good wearing just plain shirts and jeans these days.

 

She chose a floral dress with short sleeves, I think it fits the weather since Spring is just around the corner. I grab it and slipped on it while Shaine busied herself looking for the most suitable shoes.

 

“I know you don’t like heels, but you should wear it tonight,” she handed a pair of bright red killer heels.

 

“Should I?” I asked, still doubting.

 

“Must,” she answered courtly.

 

Since I’m not really good with this kind of field, I just followed her. When I looked at my full – sized mirror, it really looks great.

 

After applying a light make – up on me, Shaine went off, too. She said she’ll be getting ready for her date with her cousin. Those two are really close.

 

I wait for Yong – oppa at the living room. He will be fetching me, so that both of us can go together to the mansion.

 

It was 6:30pm when Yong Hwa – oppa arrived carrying a bouquet of white tulips.

 

“Here you go, gorgeous,” he said then kissed me on my cheeks.

 

“Thanks,” I responded.

 

I went to call nanny to place the flowers in my room upstairs.

 

 

The drive was comfortable, we talked about our busy schedules and some other stuff.

 

                We are about to enter the gate when I suddenly asked Yong Hwa oppa out of curiousity, “Oppa, aren’t you  nervous?”

 

                 He chuckled. He did not bother to look at me because he was driving. “Of course not, why should I be? It’s not my first time meeting your Abeoji.”

 

                   “I felt nervous,” I told him honestly. I really felt anxious at the moment. I don’t know why.

 

                Yong Hwa oppa glanced at me and held my left hand with his right hand and applied pressure to it. He still manoeuvred the steering wheel with his left hand.

 

“Don’t be, I’m just here beside you, remember that,” he smiled at me truthfully and it really healed the anxiety inside me.

 

I can see Dad sitting on his permanent seat at the dining hall. A familiar middle – aged man was sitting to his right. I had seen him before but I can’t remember him thoroughly. Beside the guy is Tiffany and Lee Joon - oppa. Why are they here?

 

Alex – oppa with his fiancée, Shin Ae – unnie was sitting at Dad’s left side. Next to latter is Yuri – unnie and a handsome guy like about her age.

 

The dinner tonight was indeed a great timing. All of these people were vacant and was able to be here and dine with us.

 

All of them stood up when Yong Hwa – oppa and I arrived. We did bows to be polite. I circled my head and noticed that someone is missing.

 

Jin Yeon is not around, I’m not dismayed that she’s not around but I’m not that happy too. It’s just that having her here now would be so awkward. A present – girlfriend and an ex –girlfriend being around with the guy is really that uncomfortable.

 

Yong Hwa – oppa sat beside Lee Joon and I sat beside him.

 

“Okay, now, before we eat, I would like to do some announcements,” Dad started. “Alex has already informed me that both of them have set their wedding date this year.”

 

We clapped for the great announcement. I wasn’t able to attend their engagement party about two months ago because of my busy schedule. But Alex – oppa understand that.

 

“Next, Yuri would like to introduce someone,” he glanced at Yuri – unnie.

 

Yuri – unnie spoke afterwards, “I would like to introduce a friend of mine, Si Won, he is also a Doctor at our Hospital.”

 

We welcomed him with our gracious bows and smiles.

 

“And lastly, honey, would you like to formally introduce your boyfriend,” Dad was now looking at me.

 

“Annyonghaseyo, Appa and all of you, my boyfriend, Yong Hwa – oppa,” I introduced verily.

 

Yong Hwa oppa stood up and spoke, “I would like to introduce my girlfriend formally to my Abeoji, too, since he’s already here. Appa, my girlfriend, Joo Hyun.”

 

Yong Hwa – oppa was looking at the man beside Dad. So does it mean it’s his dad? So this is the reason why his face is familiar, I’ve seen him from the gatherings at the mansion when I was little.

 

“I truthfully accept your relationship, son. It’s too formal though. Most of the families of both sides are here, are we also having another engagement for these two?” Yong Hwa oppa’s Dad spoke light – heartedly.

 

The others laughed and I smiled out of shyness.

 

“Why not?” Dad commented and the rest hovered along.

 

“I know you are not his first girlfriend, but among those girls, you were the very first one he formally introduced to me,” Yong Hwa – oppa’s dad said truthfully.

 

I smiled at him and he smiled back at me.

 

“So it just means that he is really serious with this relationship now. Parent’s consent for certain relationships is really important. Since he introduce you to me, I’m really looking forward to your relationship and both of you have my blessing,” he added.

 

“I agree with you, Yong Jae, you also have my blessing with you,” Dad said while smiling at us verily.

“Kansahamnida,” Yong Hwa oppa and I both spoke.

 

We dined and enjoy our delicious dinner. After eating we made to the parlor and continued talking.

 

“Joon Seok, why haven’t we arranged Yong Hwa and Joo Hyun when they were still kids?” Yong Jae – samchon spoke out of nowhere.

 

“Yes, why haven’t we think about that, maybe these two should’ve been married already,” Dad agreed.

 

“Uncle, we’re still too young for marriage, why not we focuse on Alex – hyung’s wedding?” Yong – oppa get along with them.

 

“We are not getting any younger kids, we need to see our grandchildren soon,” Yong Jae – samchon said, I know he was just kidding.

 

“Appa, do you want me to marry young? I still want to be stable before marrying,” Yong – Hwa oppa kid, too.

 

“Arrasso, arrasso... but remember, we’ll be looking forward for the engagement,” Yong Jae – samchon said and the rest were laughing. This man is really joyful. I know now where Yong – Hwa oppa got his cheerfulness.

 

“You seem are rooting for this couple Yong Jae – ah, just let them be, who knows what may happen,” my Dad jive along.

 

Oh, elders are really silly sometimes. Marriage, I know both of us are not ready yet. We still need to finish our college degrees and have stable jobs for our future. Time can only tell if we will end together, forever.

 

Why am I thinking about it? Of course, we will end up together.

 

We ended the night well. All of us were happy and enjoyed the chats.

 

Yong Hwa – oppa brought me home.

 

He stayed for a while as we talk about his busy schedules.

 

I will soon be ending my freshmen years just as oppa is finishing his sophomore years.

 

“I will not be able to see for by the following week, our promotions will be intense,” he spoke while he combs my hair with his fingers. We are sitting at the capsule swing by the garden. The sky was so clear that we enjoyed watching the stars.

 

“Omono~!” I cried, stood up and directly closed my eyes. I just saw a shooting star.

 

God, bless our relationship, whatever happens, if it is Your will that we’ll end up together, then be it, but if not, then Your will be done. I wished truly.

 

“What did you wish?” he asked and hugged me tenderly from behind. His chin was resting on my right shoulder.

 

I just put my index finger to his lips, “It’s a secret.” I then laid my head on his head.

 

We continued watching the sky when he turned me to face him. “I’ll miss you, I am not used not seeing you.”

 

“Me, too,” I said honestly. Aigoo, my tears are falling again. The crybaby Joo Hyun is up again.

 

“Yah, you’re crying again, I promise that I’ll call you everytime I am vacant,” he console me. He was wiping my tears with his thumbs.

 

“You don’t need to, oppa, I can handle it. All you need to do is to take care of your health, while you meet your schedules, you’ll do that, right? For me?” I asked him sweetly.

 

“Of course, but one thing that can help me take care of my health is your voice. So I’m going to call you everytime I feel lonely, just hearing your voice can turn all of my stress away. You know that you are my stress – reliever, right? So always bring your phone with you because I might call anytime, arrasso?” he spoke to me while he held my face with his two hands.

 

“Arrasso,” I hugged him and he hugged me back.

 

We stayed like that for a while and before we ended the night we shared a romantic kiss under the clear sky having the stars as witnesses of our unfailing love for each other.