SOAP OPERA AT THE UNIVERSITY

MY FIRST AND ONLY LOVE

 

                I was on my way to the university, it was still early in the morning so I decided to ride on a bus. But a car, Porsche – Techart 911 Turbo, parked outside my gate really caught my attention. I was shocked seeing my dream car within my lawn. I went closely towards it and found an envelope tied on a ribbon by the side mirror. I read my name outside the envelope. I opened it and read the note inside.

Joo Hyun,

I don’t want to see you riding on a bus, so I’m giving you this car.

                                                                                                                                Loving you,

                                                                                                                                Appa

Inside the envelope were also my driver’s license and the car key. I was really happy and opened the car directly. On the driver’s seat is a small plastic tulip key holder attached to a coloured –wood that has my name carvings. I took it and put it together with my car key. Good thing I know how to drive. Yoona and I took up driving lessons when we were sixteen, after that, Yoona and I would always go to school, driving my BMW – 120d that mom bought me. It was left at Los Angeles.

Yoona was still sleeping when I left home. So she hasn’t seen the car yet. I think I need to tell dad that Yoona also needs a car, since we’re not having the same schedule from now on. For the next few days she’ll be having her training at the ABC Entertainment and I would be busy attending my classes at the university.

   I felt the anxiety running through my system as I was driving to school. It’s like the time when I was still a freshman in high school.  So nervous thinking who would my classmates be, will they treat me well and will I get along with them. I was really trying to be optimistic, but the anxiety really pulls me off.

I entered the gate of the university and parked my car at the vacant section on the parking lot. As I climbed down my car I saw three guys looking at me and the car. It seems like that they were talking about me and my car. I did not mind them and looked at the cars at the parking lot. The cars parked there are just simple cars, vans, and trucks. So that’s the reason why the three guys looked at me flabbergasted. My car really stands out among the rest.

 I left the parking lot and thought of my first class. My first class is at the Speech Laboratory since my subject is English 101. I’m not yet oriented with the rooms of this university so I decided to ask someone. I saw a guy sitting laxly at the bench by the lobby. He was alone so I went towards him and asked.

“Can you please teach me where the Speech Laboratory is?” I asked politely from his back. Normally, I used to be shy and let Yoona asked this question, but Yoona’s not around so I’m doing it on my own.

I waited for a while but it seemed like he hasn’t heard me. I went in front of him and noticed that he’s wearing earphones. He’s listening to his I-Pod.

“Excuse me?” I asked louder.

He seemed to notice me and raised his head. I was so shocked when I recognize the guy. His expression was also shocked and stood up directly to meet my gaze. It’s Leeteuk, Yoona’s ex – boyfriend.

“Why are you here?” I asked him lowly.

“Seo Hyun---“ he said.

I held him closely and spoke, “Don’t call me that name. Call me Seo Joo Hyun.” This was my first time to talk with Leeteuk closely. But I need to do it so people won’t know about the previous side of me.

“I heard the news that you and Yoona arrived here in Korea, I thought you just went here to visit, but why are you in this university?” he asked gradually.

I let go of him and stepped backward. I answered him. “I’m studying here, majoring Interior Designing.”

“So you’re staying here in Korea for good?” Leeteuk asked surprised.

I nodded and repeated my question just a while ago. “Can you teach me where the speech laboratory is?”

“Oh, it’s on the second floor,” he paused, looked at his watch and spoke to me again. “Well, it’s about time. My class will also be on the second floor. I’ll walk you at the speech laboratory, if you don’t mind.”

“It’s okay,” I responded.

As we were walking I can’t stop myself to ask him why he’s here in Korea.

“I thought you’ll be studying at Princeton University, but why are you here in Korea?”

“Ah... I bet it took you much effort to ask me, you’ve been silent ever since she introduced you to me,” I bet he’s referring to Yoona, why can’t he say her name? Is he guilty for hurting her? Then he spoke again. “My girlfriend’s from Korea, she’s studying in this school majoring Theatre Acting as a freshman. I decided to return here in Korea when I graduated high school at Los Angeles to be with her. Since Appa and Omma agreed, I went back here and studied at this university. I’m a sophomore, majoring Theatre Acting.”

So that’s the reason why Yoona dumped this guy, it’s because of his Korean girl. The world is indeed so small. Our school back at Los Angeles is an International School. Many Asians just chose our school to study English. Leeteuk and his family moved to Los Angeles because his dad is having a good job there. He’s also a Korean and decided to study at our school. I heard from Yoona that this guy met his new girl at a house party. The house party was hosted by the girl’s sister who is also studying at our school. The girl visited her sister that’s why she’s in the party. It is when Leeteuk met this girl. And now we are all at the same school except for Yoona who has no plan to study.

“Here it is,” Leeteuk woke me up from my deep thoughts. We are already in front of a door with a rectangle glass frame. It reads SPEECH LABORATORY.

“Thank you,” I said and bowed at him.

“You’re welcome,” he responded.

I was about to enter the room when Leeteuk spoke again.

“Where is she? Isn’t she coming to school today?” he asked hesitantly.

“Yoona?” I looked at him raising my eyebrows. I was surprised when he asked about her.

He nodded and talked shyly. “It’s just that both of you are inseparable.”

“Oh, she’s not coming. She has no plans in coming to school. Maybe if she wants to visit me, she can always come,” I answered politely.

He just nodded and bid me goodbye, saying he still have a class to attend to.

I entered the speech laboratory. The room is big. There’s a white board at the centre. The controlling system was beside the centre table. The room was surrounded with cubicles.  There are headphones with microphone set in each cubicle. I sat at the farthest vacant seat. Most of the students around are girls and I think there are only five guys. I saw two ordinary – looking girls situated at the right corner facing my directions. I think they were talking about me because they are looking at me. As if they were criticizing my figure because their looks are really evaluating. The opening door caught my attention. A pretty girl entered.

It’s Tiffany. Yeah, I remembered, Yoona told me that she’s also a freshman in this university, majoring Interior Designing. It took me a lot of courage to wave at her. She noticed it and smiled at me. She sat beside me. I smiled at her. She’s the first one who spoke.

“Oppa told me, you really love your new place,” she’s referring to Yong Hwa.

I nodded and smiled at her, she also smiled back.

After smiling at me she suddenly looked at the two girls whom I was looking a while ago. Then she looked at me and spoke.

“See those two girls?” she asked me whispering.

“Yeah,” I responded.

“They are my classmates during my junior years on high school. They are known for making gossips. Don’t talk to them,” she said casually.

I thought this girl was really silent but I remembered, Yong Hwa told me that Tiffany talks normally to the person she likes. We were eating pizza at my place and he told me about it, he just suddenly remembered her because pizza is Tiffany’s favourite Italian food.

“People really think that she’s very timid, but as you get to know her she will show her active side. Joong - joong was really happy when she showed her active side to him, he joked about it and said he can’t take it anymore if she’ll still stay shy and silent for a little longer.”

I remembered Yong Hwa said it last week. Well, it would be better this way. People will not think anymore that we are mute when we’re together. Tiffany has the initiative to talk if ever people will think other ways.

Our professor entered the room and introduced herself in superb English. She let us stood up one by one to introduced our names and cite our expectations towards her in English if we can. Most of the students have a difficult time speaking English and the others spoke in Korean.

It was my turn and when I stood up, all the students look at my direction. I felt dizzy so I looked at Tiffany. She smiled at me and cheered me “Fighting!”

I looked at my professor who’s waiting for me to speak, and then I spoke in English.

“Hello, my name is Seo Joo Hyun,” as I finished my name I heard murmurs from my classmates. Our professor spoke that made my classmates silent. Then she signalled me to speak again. “I expect that our professor will really teach us well, and I also expect that she will treat us nicely.”

As soon as I finished my statement, my professor and Tiffany clapped their hands. The whole room was stunned by my English. It was just because I stayed at America for years that really refined my English.

It was Tiffany’s turn. She also spoke in English adequately. I think most of the elite children are trained to speak English that’s why she spoke in English finely.

Our class went out so well, but I can’t avert from the people asking if I am Seo Joo Hyun, the daughter of Seo Joon Seok, the owner of the ABC Entertainment Incorporation. I can’t lie to them now, I already said my full name in my English class. I expect that my face will be exposed at the internet this day. Many people took my picture without my permission.  

It was not only me who had a hard time. Many people also took Tiffany’s picture knowing she’s the younger sister of the famous singer Jung Yong Hwa, and was also the girlfriend of the famous Lee Joon.

I can already read in the headlines: THE DAUGHTER OF MR. SEO JOON SEOK, OWNER OF THE ABCEI, SEO JOO HYUN AND THE YOUNGER SISTER OF JUNG YONG HWA, VOCALIST OF THE CN BLUE BAND, JUNG TIFFANY, WERE SEEN TOGETHER AT THE SEOUL UNIVERSITY MAJORING INTERIOR DESIGNING.

It’s already lunch time, after choosing our foods at the counter we sat at the farthest vacant table. The cafeteria was enclosed with glass walls so we can see the people passing by outside. One girl from afar really caught my attention. She’s wearing a red long flowery blouse, paired it with black leggings and black high – heeled shoes. This girl really stands out, carrying a red pouch and wearing sun glasses. Hey, I know this girl, it’s Yoona. She stopped right in front of us and knocked at the glass wall.

She signed that she’s coming inside and I nodded.

As I waited for her, Tiffany asked me.

“Who’s that?” she asked innocently.

“You don’t recognize her?” I asked amazed.

She nodded.

“It’s Yoona,” I answered courtly.

“Oh, she really stands out with her outfits,” she said casually.

Yeah, that’s so Yoona. She will really be angry seeing me with this outfit today. I’m with my normal outfit, t-shirt, jeans and sneakers. Tiffany in front of me, who was eating quietly is wearing a blue dress and paired it with white flat doll shoes. It’s just a simple dress but it really looks good on her. When will I start wearing dresses during ordinary days?

“Hey, ‘untailored girl’,” Yoona sat at the chair beside me and took off her glasses. She placed the sun glasses and the pouch on the table. “Look at Tiffany and my outfit, what can you see?”

I raised my eyebrows at her. I was puzzled with her question.

“Ladies, real ladies, look at you, you’re so... you’re so untailored!” she frankly told me.

I wasn’t hurt. I get use to it. Tiffany laughed at Yoona’s words and spoke.

“Hey, you might hurt her.”

“She’s immune to it,” Yoona said smugly and laughed. She stopped when a sight outside took her attention.

Tiffany and I looked outside. There’s a familiar figure of a guy, he’s holding a girl’s hand. The girl’s pretty. Her face seemed so familiar. Oh yeah, I remember, she’s the pretty girl Jin Yeon was talking with at my welcome party.

The couple entered the cafeteria and sat at the table where a girl is already sitting. We can see them easily because their table is just adjacent to ours. The guy is Leeteuk. When he looked at our direction, he was really surprised. Maybe he did not expect to see Yoona beside me.

I waved at him, I don’t know why I did that. He waved back. The pretty girl he was with looked at my direction and was shocked. She suddenly turned to the other girl and she seemed to say something that made the other girl looked at me. I was surprised when the other girl looked at me. It’s Jin Yeon. So Jin Yeon and the pretty girl are really close friends.

I bowed at Jin Yeon to be polite but she suddenly turned her head away.

“Did you just wave at that traitor?” Yoona asked crossly.

“Well, he helped me this morning. He walked me to my first class,” I answered casually.

“What? You’re even close to that guy who has hurt me?” she asked astonished.

“It doesn’t mean that if someone walks you out, you’re already close,” I answered her philosophically.

She just closed her eyes and breathed deeply. “Relax, Yoona. Relax. Everything’s going to be fine,” she said calming herself. She inhaled intensely and exhaled genuinely. She opened her eyes and looked at Leeteuk’s direction. I looked at Leeteuk, he was talking to his girlfriend, and then he glanced at us.

Yoona waved at him, he was surprised by Yoona’s behaviour. Yoona then swiftly smiled at him, it was the sweetest smile I’ve seen from her. I looked at Leeteuk, he was surprised and suddenly stood up and said something to the pretty girl. He left the table and his direction was going to the Female Comfort Room. When he noticed the sign board he scratched his head, he seemed to be embarrassed. He looked at our direction, and when he saw us looking at him he bowed and went directly to the Male Comfort Room.

I laughed at his behaviour, he seemed really disturbed with Yoona’s sweetest smile.

“That’s the sweetest revenge I can offer,” Yoona said smugly and drank my mango juice abruptly. She finished it. She looked at me and told me, “I’ll buy another one for you.”

“No, I’ll do it. I think you’ll have a fight if you’ll be the one to buy.”

I went to buy another drink. I notice that Leeteuk was already back. After I paid the bill I went directly to our table. Tiffany and Yoona were talking about something.

“What, she’s you’re classmate in high school?” Yoona exclaimed. Tiffany suddenly covered . Good thing the people haven’t noticed Yoona’s outburst.

They settled down when I put the fresh mango juice on the table.

“Yes, she’s my classmate. Her name is Sun Kye,” Tiffany answered calmly.

“Tell me about her,” Yoona insisted. “Are you even close to her?”

“No, we don’t go along that well. She’s always with the other elite girls from our school. I chose to be alone than to be with them. They can’t pass a day without gossiping and I really don’t like it. I heard that she went to America to visit her sister who’s studying at Los Angeles. But the truth is that she went to a rehabilitation centre because she became addicted to drugs,” Tiffany stated.

“I’ve known her sister, her sister may be socially active and hosted many house parties but she’s really nice. She doesn’t choose persons whom to be with. She always got along well with anybody, rich or poor, pretty, handsome or ugly, she’s really accommodating,” Yoona said full of thoughts.

“Their father is Appa’s friend. He would always relate to Appa that his daughters are really opposite. The elder sister is really an achiever and was really nice but the younger one, Sun Kye, really troubled him that he lied just to save their reputation.” Tiffany spoke.

“What did he lie?” Yoona asked eagerly.

“About sending her abroad to visit her sister, that she’ll be back after six months because she requested to have a vacation,” Tiffany answered.

“But the truth is...” Yoona did not finish it and just leaned her elbow on the table. Her fist was under her chin.

I looked at their table, the two girls are not there. Maybe they went to the powder room. He seemed to be problematic.

“Leeteuk – oppa, don’t know about the truth,” Tiffany suddenly spoke.

I looked at her. She’s also looking at Leeteuk.

“Do you know Leeteuk?” I asked her curiously.

“Everybody knows him, he’s a famous actor. He’s the third party in Jin Yeon’s soap opera. Jin Yeon and Leeteuk – oppa debuted together on an advertisement,” Tiffany answered me casually.

“Actor?” Yoona exclaimed again.

I glared at her and she covered .

“I’ve known every actors and actresses in Korea but I did not know that Leeteuk and Jin Yeon became one,” Yoona said unbelievably.

“It’s because we’re busy the previous months about our investigatory projects and research projects that you forgot to research about the latest soap opera and who’s making it,” I answered her.

She just frowned and was thinking of something. She gave up when she leaned her back on the chair’s leaner.

“How did you know all about it?” I turned to Tiffany curiously.

“He’s a friend of Joonie and oppa, they go to same classes since they are all majoring acting. Sometimes, he would visit oppa at his condo unit, fortunately I was also there waiting for Joonie to come over. I would listen to them talking about their girlfriend’s unusual manners, but decided to leave it to them,” Tiffany answered me.

“You said a while ago that Leeteuk doesn’t know about the rehabilitation of Sun Kye, why did it go like that if you say you know about the truth?” Yoona suddenly come out with.

“He knew that Sun Kye was sent to the rehabilitation for the reason that she almost committed suicide because her boyfriend left her, but we all know that it’s not the truth. Yong Hwa – oppa and I didn’t want to interfere so we decided to keep silent, thinking that eventually he’ll learn about the truth. Jin Yeon and Sun Kye are really liars,” Tiffany explained.

“Jin Yeon?” Yoona and I spoke at the same time.

Tiffany signalled to lower down our voice. She looked at Jin Yeon who just came back from the powder room with Sun Kye. They are not looking at us, so it only means they haven’t heard us.

“I don’t like her, actually I don’t usually talk to her. I saw her former than oppa. Joonie and I were at Alex – oppa’s birthday. We are waiting for Yong Hwa – oppa to arrive. He just arrived from his overseas concert. It’s my first time to see Jin Yeon personally. Her face has been circling the internet since the day Uncle Joon Seok adopted her. She was drinking with a lot of guys, laughing loudly and yelling with them at a table near to us. I kept on looking at her, because it’s such a pity that a pretty girl like her is such a ,” Yoona laughed when she saw that Tiffany and I were serious she became silent and made a peace sign with her left hand. Tiffany continued.

“When Jin Yeon heard that my brother’s coming. She suddenly changed her attitude. She became silent and sat at the farthest table alone. Yong Hwa – oppa arrived and was caught by Jin Yeon’s attention. He went to her and she was suddenly crying, she shared her hurtful life losing her parents at a very young age, “ I remembered my first conversation with Yong Hwa, I also cried but the reason was different. “They talked for a couple of hours, Jin Yeon acted timidly at oppa. Then she suddenly vanished mysteriously. Yong Hwa – oppa returned to our table. Yuri – unnie was sitting with us at our table. He asked about Jin Yeon’s name. He told Yuri – unnie that she’s the most pure and innocent person he knew, and the rest is history,” Tiffany finished it.

“Did Yong Hwa and you talked about it,” Yoona asked.

“Yeah, but oppa won’t believe me, saying that maybe it’s just another girl. I was hurt but realized that it’s his life, if he really loves Jin Yeon, then...” she paused and added, “I can’t do anything about it,” Tiffany answered considerately.

“I thought you would say ‘I’d rather die than to have her as my sister – in –law,’” Yoona joked.

Tiffany and I laughed.

I heard a phone beeping, it’s Tiffany’s. Tiffany answered it.

“Joonie - oppa,” she answered. The other line was talking but I barely heard it. She spoke again. “I’m in the cafeteria.” She paused and listened to the other line and spoke “Ok, see you there,” the other line was talking again. She answered, “Yoona and Joo Hyun are with me, I’m taking them with me,” she looked at us then answered again. “No, tell oppa that Jin Yeon’s here, he can’t come,” she looked at Jin Yeon and then answered the phone again. “She’s not alone,”

The three of us looked at the two tall guys waving at us outside the glass wall. It’s Yong Hwa and Joon. The two of them are wearing sun glasses. I think it’s their way to disguise. Joon’s holding a phone and signed Tiffany to hang up.

“I told them not to come here at the cafeteria,” Tiffany blurted childishly. She was looking for something from her bag, she found her sunglasses and wore it. Yoona picked up her sun glasses and wore it. I also looked for my sun glasses from my sling bag, I always bring it with me, it’s a gift from Imo Yon Hye, saying it’s the easiest disguise I can use whenever and wherever I want to. I found it and wore it. The three of us stood up the same time. All the people stared at us.

“Follow me, I want to do something naughty,” Yoona said nosily.

Tiffany and I looked at each other, we just shrugged our shoulders and followed Yoona. She went to Leeteuk’s direction. When she reached his side, he stood up to greet her.

“Hey there Yoona,” he said shaking and bowed.

“Hi Teukie, long time no see,” Yoona said confidently and continued. “Wish I could stay longer and have those endless conversations we had but I needto go, and I presume, you’re busy talking with your present girlfriend,” Yoona emphasize the word ‘present’ and looked at Sun Kye who seemed to be annoyed. “So, goodbye for now, Leeteuk - oppa.”

Yoona took off her sun glasses, smiled sweetly at Leeteuk and kissed him on the cheeks. Sun Kye wants to react but Jin Yeon held her. Good thing I’m wearing this sun glasses, they’ll not know who I was looking to. Yoona wore again her sunglasses and walked to the exit. We followed.

“Did you just do that? Sun Kye really felt annoyed,” Tiffany exclaimed and became red when she realized that she spoke too loud.

Yoona just laughed loudly.

When we reached Yong Hwa and Joon outside waiting, they clapped their hands.

“What a lovely scene,” Joon said amused.

“Good thing the cafeteria’s enclosed with glasses, it’s like we’re watching a soap opera scene from a television,” Yong Hwa added.

Tiffany and Yoona laughed. I looked at the cafeteria. You can really easily see the scenario that just happened a while ago since Leeteuk’s table was in the centre. I looked at Yong Hwa and Joon who were so amused with the scenario.

“Where are we going?” I suddenly asked out of nowhere.

“Oh, she’s really serious with everything,” Yong Hwa said and answered me. “We’re going to ditch classes.”

I was surprised and don’t know how to react.

“Wow, ditching on first day of class? That’s really a great beginning,” Yoona said excitedly. She was just relaxed because she’s not schooling. Then she spoke again. “Let’s go!”

I looked at Tiffany who also seemed to be excited, Joon is holding her hand. I looked at Yong Hwa who’s laughing at Yoona’s behaviour, Joon was also laughing along. This can’t be happening, I don’t want to ditch classes but I don’t want to be alone.

They were already walking when Yong Hwa noticed that I did not move he went back to me and tagged me along.

I looked at Jin Yeon who’s also looking at us. She seemed so annoyed looking at us very happy together. I looked at my hand. Aigoo. I think Jin Yeon was not annoyed because we are all happy together, she seemed to be annoyed because her boyfriend was holding another girl’s hand. And sorry to say the girl is me.

I then realized that if you want to see a true – to – life soap opera, look for it at the University.