MY WELCOME PARTY: First Conversation

MY FIRST AND ONLY LOVE

 

All I can hear is the loud music from the reverberation system. Dad already welcomed and introduced me to my guests, it would be better to call them ‘his’ guests. There are lots of people whom I do not know.

                Yoona and Yuri – unnie had gone to their friends. Yoona met a childhood friend, whom was currently dating the famous singer and actor, Lee Joon. The singer was invited to entertain the guest and brought along his girlfriend Tiffany. I’ve seen Tiffany since we were young, but we never talked. Maybe it’s because of my remoteness. She is the daughter of one of dad’s business partner. I never thought that she’s the ‘Tiffany’ that Yoona’s been talking about. Yoona would always share their experiences as close friends, but I wouldn’t pay much attention.

                Yuri – unnie on the other hand is talking to her circle of friends. I don’t know them and she haven’t introduce them to me. They were all pretty with their dresses and shoes. The scenario of them was like a scene from a movie, group of friends chatting about the cute boys around the party while drinking champagne.

                Normally, I wouldn’t last parties. But since it’s my welcome party I should stay until all the guest would go home. I’m the host, a lonely host in fact, alone drinking fresh mango juice at the farthest table from the stage. I don’t drink alcohols; it would only make me sick. The first time I’ve tried it, I keep on throwing up that mom brought me to the hospital. I’m allergic to it as what the doctor said.  After that state I never drink alcohol again.

                People kept on looking at me since the moment Dad introduced me. When I caught them looking they would always smile and bow I would also bow in return to be polite. Some of the guys look awkward, staring at me hesitantly like they want to join me and turn my loneliness to happiness. It seems so funny, I intended to wear a very simple dress so people won’t notice me, but since I am the host, I’m the apple of the eye of the crowd. I only wore a simple black haltered dress with silver linings but I always hear ladies whispering, ‘the dress really looks good on her,’ ‘she’s really pretty, her dress suits her,’ ‘she’s lovely but she’s lonely,’ and ‘she’s really beautiful, wish I could use my camera and capture her image and tweet it.’

                Good thing the prohibition of cameras and cell phones is working. My face won’t be spread on the internet. By the next month I’ll be studying at the university. I don’t like to see the students at the university gossiping about me. I want my life to be normal, nothing more and nothing less. I’ve already bid goodbye to fame and welcomed myself to the ordinary world.

                I was sipping my juice when I heard Lee Joon singing on stage. Yoona and Tiffany were sitting at the table fronting the stage. Jin Yeon and a pretty lady were sitting at the table beside them. Yoona appeared to be looking for someone. She’s been circling her head throughout the hall. I tried to wave, thinking that she’s looking for me, but she didn’t notice. I planned to join them at their table. As I was trying to get to my feet, I was captivated by the masculine voice by my side.

                “Entertaining...  ladies should drink Margaritas or champagnes during parties, but this lady here is drinking a fresh mango juice as an alternative,” he spoke to me in a roundabout way.

                I did not look at him as if I haven’t attended to any word.

                He laughed courtly and spoke again. “It appears like she hasn’t heard me.”

                I assumed he was talking now to the waiter who just arrived carrying a drink. I looked at the waiter not looking at the guy. The waiter just smiled at the guy beside me and bowed. He gazed at me and also bowed, I bowed in return. Then the waiter left.

                I tried to stand again but was again caught by the masculine voice beside me.

                “You seemed to be new here, how are you related to the host?” the guy asked me.

                I did not respond. Only this guy beside me has the nerve to sit beside me. Is he one of the guys I’ve seen a while ago eying my loneliness and want to change it to happiness?

                He did not mind my coldness and asked. “You know, I just arrived here and I’m looking for someone. I can’t call her because they disallowed it. Have you seen famous actress Seo Jin Yeon around?” he talked like we were close acquaintances.

                I was thinking, of the entire crowd, why Jin Yeon? Why my foster sister? Is this guy one of her suitors? I planned to answer him politely but when I turned to meet his gaze, I was shocked.

                It’s the guy I saw at the restaurant. Jung Yong Hwa, the boyfriend of my foster sister Jin Yeon, is talking to me right now. I wanted to speak but the words won’t come out. This guy’s even cooler wearing a black suit with a silver tie. I’m imagining again a couple – outfit with him, but enough of it, we are just one meter apart at the moment and I can see him closely. Those restless eyes I’ve seen at the restaurant are dazzling and lovely now. His gaze seemed confused; his eyebrows were crossed for a moment and eventually were fine again. He looked at me steadily.

                “Your face seems so well-known,” he spoke and paused for seconds and spoke again. “Maybe you just look similarly.”

                I was flustered. Maybe he’s referring to Seo Hyun but it can’t be, guys are unfamiliar with models. I kept silent. I decided to turn my head to the performance on stage but I can see at the corner of my eyes that he’s still watching me. A couple of minutes after, I can sense that he’s not looking anymore. When I momentarily looked at him, he’s circling his head, looking for someone. He caught my eyes and I can’t turn away anymore. He smiled. The smile is so arresting that I felt butterflies circling my stomach. I’m feeling various emotions that I wanted to cry. I’m always like this, when I felt mix-up I would end up crying.

                “Hey, why are you crying?” Yong Hwa was alarmed and puzzled.

He suddenly wiped my tears with the back of his right hand and was using his left hand to get something from his pocket. He gave the handkerchief to me. I took it and wiped my tears carefully. Good thing I’m using waterproof mascara. I suddenly laughed. Yong Hwa’s reaction changed he was half grinning but his eyebrows were crossed. It looks as if he’s saying in his mind, ‘this lady’s crazy.’

“I’m sorry,” I apologized. “You would’ve thought that I’m crazy.”

He nodded uncertainly.

“Was that nod accepting my apology or recognizing my craziness?” I blurted unintentionally.

He grinned enchantingly. Oh my God! I don’t want to cry again.

“Can I answer both?” he joked. “Ladies cry when they feel uncomfortable, is that right?”

I nodded as an agreement. But not all ladies are like that, it’s just that I’m weak emotionally that’s why I cried. I always show that I’m strong outside, but because of this guy, I showed my weakness.

“Guess, my presence really made you awkward. I might as well evaporate in this spot,” he said light – heartedly then continued seriously. “My girlfriend will really get jealous when she sees me here with you. I already found her,” he then pointed Jin Yeon at her table who was busy talking to the pretty lady she was with.

I nodded as reply.

“Thanks for the time, Miss?” It wasn’t a statement it was a question.

“S - - - Hyun...” Aigoo! Why am I stuttering that I can’t even finish my name?

“Sweet, a name that really suits your personality, simple yet elegant, thanks for the time, Hyun,” he said willingly.

I just smiled at him and he smile back with that arresting smile. My heart pounded loudly that almost puffed my eardrums.

“Your eyes spark when you smile truthfully, I think that’s your charm,” he said honestly.

 “Thank you,” I said.

He laughed at my reply. “You’re so polite and formal. If we happen to meet again, get rid of those,” he said reasonably and left me with a salute.

I composed myself before going to Yoona. I was holding the handkerchief of Jung Yong Hwa; I was so disturbed that I happen to forget giving back the hanky. Some other time then, if we happen to meet again, like what he just said.

I joined Yoona and Tiffany at their table. Lee Joon was already sitting with them. I did not notice that his performance had ended.

“Oh, there you are!” Yoona exclaimed. “I’ve been circling my head looking for you. Where have you been?”

“Just wanted to be alone for a while,” I answered.

I heard her murmured ‘loner’ before she spoke lively. “Anyways, let me introduce you to Tiffany - ssi. Tiffanny, this is my best friend S, I mean Seo Joo Hyun - ssi. S this is Tiffany - ssi and her boyfriend Joon -ssi,” Yoona introduced me formally.

I shook hands with them and smiled to be gracious. Tiffany and Lee Joon really look good together. They can make a great couple. Talking about couples, I also eyed a couple at the back of Yoona. It’s Jin Yeon and Jung Yong Hwa, Yong Hwa’s watching the performance on stage while Jin Yeon’s intensely talking with the pretty girl who’s sitting opposite to her. No physical contacts, how ‘sweet’.

                We sat and chatted for a while. We also watch the live performances on stage. When the last performance ended, dad went to stage and spoke. All of us looked at him and listened.

                “Tonight one of our guests is the famous vocalist of the CN Blue,” he paused when the people clapped and yelled then continued. “I know he can’t decline my request. Yong Hwa please come up on stage and sing for us as a finale performance for my daughter.”

                All the people looked at Jung Yong Hwa’s direction, clapped and yelled. Jung Yong Hwa stood up hesitantly and went up to stage.

                “Good evening,“ Yong Hwa started. “Tonight I was really late because I just arrived from Japan. I was really tired but I can’t reject Uncle Joon Seok’s invitation, maybe because I can’t resist his charms” all the people reacted and dad laughed, “So tonight I’m singing a song with my sister Tiffany. I’m requesting Tiffany to come up on stage.”

                The people just clapped their hands while Tiffany shyly went up to stage. The crowds not shock. I’m the only one surprised. I thought Tiffany doesn’t have any siblings but then I remembered that she has a brother who’s staying at America. So her brother came back ahead of me and happened to be Jung Yong Hwa. I looked at Yoona who was busy listening to the siblings on stage. She’s not even surprised. Then she looked at me.

                “I knew just a while ago, when Yong Hwa arrived,” she explained.

                I looked up on stage and watched the siblings.

                “This song that we are about to sing is from the movie ‘Once’, it is entitled Falling Slowly,” Yong Hwa stopped when the floor director handed him a guitar. He wore the sling and started talking again. “My little sister and I’ve been singing this song whenever she visits me at my condo unit. Since the keyboard at our house busted she comes to my unit to practice piano. She would always play this and I would join along. This girl beside me is really bashful, I think she just agreed tonight because the cameras are off,” the crowd laugh, “but she sings well. So here it goes.”

Jung Yong Hwa was about to play the guitar but seemed to remember something. The people reacted.

“Sorry, I forgot, I mean we forgot,” he looked at his sister Tiffany who smiled at him and spoke again. “We forgot to dedicate this song to the host whom I haven’t met yet since I was late,” the crowd laughed again. “I would like to request her to stand and wave at us.”

I did not respond. Ottokeyo? He thought a while ago that I’m just a newbie in this society. Ottokeyo?

Yoona elbowed me secretly and glared at me when I looked at her.

The crowd was silent and was all looking at my direction, waiting when I will stand and wave at them.

Yoona gesture me to stand up. It took a couple of minutes then I stood up and smiled a fake smile. I seemed self-conscious as I waved at the crowd and looked at Yong Hwa and Tiffany. I can see that Yong Hwa was surprised but was then poised. Yong Hwa smiled his arresting smile and bowed, Tiffany also did the same. 

The music suddenly filled the function hall and all the people were focused to the performance. I always caught Yong Hwa glancing at me. I was convincing myself that he wasn’t looking at me but looking at Jin Yeon who was sitting at the table at my back. I chose this seat so I won’t catch a glimpse of them when we are still watching the stage performances earlier.

“He’s really charismatic,” Yoona stated out of nowhere.

“He sure is,” Lee Joon agreed. Lee Joon seemed to be friendly that I don’t feel awkward around him. Normally, I don’t talk to guys especially when it’s our first meeting, but this guy got me. He’s really welcoming. “I would always think that if Tiffany wasn’t his sister, Tiff would really fall in love with him. I always see Tiff so happy when she hears her big brother sing. He serves as Tiff’s inspiration.”

“Don’t you get jealous?”Yoona asked carelessly.

“Before, but in due course I turned out to be immune with it,” he answered proudly. “Yong - Yong giving me the hands of his beloved sister is enough for me. He really trusts me knowing that I am his best friend.”

Yoona just nodded. I just listened to their conversation. I’m always like this. It always come out that I don’t exist. It’s cool with me. I would prefer to listen than to chatter.

“Hey, S, Tiffany is also studying at the University, majoring interior design, I think she can help you out there,” Yoona suggested.

I just nodded. Yoona rolled her eyes.

“Hey Joon – oppa, don’t be upset if it seems like we’re talking to a mute, she’s always like this. It’s her natural world, “ Yoona intentionally said it.

Lee Joon just laughed and looked at me. “Ladies like her can hold the interest of young men. Being silent and timid really catches the guys especially on occasions like this. Tell me, Joo Hyun, how many men looked at you intensely?”

“Many...I think so,” I answered shyly.

He laughed again, “Guess, I’m one of them, but ‘m so sorry, I already had Tiff. She was just like you the first time I saw her two years ago and that really caught my attention.”

I smiled at him.

“See? She’s not talking anymore. You can count how many words she has spoken,” Yoona clarified.

Lee Joon laughed again and I laugh along. I feel comfortable around Lee Joon. I only laugh with guys whom I feel comfortable with.

“But if that’s the case, I guess, I’ll practice to be that ‘demure’ girl, so I’ll catch guys attention,” Yoona said determined. “S and Tiff are very timid, I don’t know how I got along with them for all these years. I, on the other hand, am really conversational.”

Then the three of us laughed.

The performances up stage is ending, Yong Hwa really sings well and Tiffany sings along well, too. This siblings really got talent. I looked at Yong Hwa, he also looked at me and winked. The people yelled when he winked. Is he really winking at me? I thought for seconds and remembered that Jin Yeon’s sitting at my back. Maybe he winked at her, it’s just a coincidence that I looked at him the time he winked at her. But when I turn around to check if Jin Yeon’s looking at the performance, the seat was vacant, Jin Yeon’s not there. So does it mean that Yong Hwa really winked at me? Why me? Ah, maybe because the song’s for me, maybe it’s just the way he entertain the host.