MY SANCTUARY

MY FIRST AND ONLY LOVE

 

I looked at the cars passing by at the big glass window at our condo unit. They looked like toys for we are on the 20th floor. We are all packed up and just waiting for the truck to get our stuffs. I was still wondering why dad told me that I will really love my house. My house really means something.

                 “Hey S, what time will the truck arrive?” Yoona asked edgy. “I’m already hungry.”

                I looked at my watch, it is still 9:45am. Dad told me that the truck will arrive at 11:00am. There’s still time for me to buy pizza at the pizza store fronting the condo unit’s building.

                “11:00am,” I answered Yoona. “If you’ll like, I’ll buy pizza.”

                She seemed happy and spoke. “Choose the spicy and cheesy one, and don’t forget the drinks.”

                I laughed saying “Sure, sure.”

                I went out wearing a purple jacket, inside is a pink shirt, paired it with jeans and sneakers. This is my usual outfit. I really like jeans and sneakers. Yoona would always scold me, saying I’m so ‘untailored’. At least I’m decent now compared from the previous days, I always go out wearing plain long sleeves and walking shorts. I assume at this moment that I’ll get along somehow with those who are wearing formal clothes.

                I was alone in the elevator. The door was nearly close when a hand blocked it. He’s using a white baseball cap that’s why I can’t see his face, he was always looking down. Why is this guy wearing the same colour as mine? We look like a couple, our upper clothes are both purple, pairing it with jeans and sneakers. I only missed the white cap, if I had one, people would think we’re going to perform something. I smiled at that thought. I kept looking at the guy, maybe this guy is an actor since he’s staying in this building. I remember that’s it’s rude to stare at someone so I turned to the buttons on the side that are lighting. We’re already on the tenth floor, nine more floors to go.

                I was wondering, where are the people. Why is it only the two of us here? Where have the people in this building gone to?

                I can see at the corner of my eyes that the guy is also looking at the buttons. I took a glimpse of him. I was shocked, it’s Yong Hwa. I suddenly turned sideways. Of all the people in the building, why does it have to be Yong Hwa and why is he even here? Oh yeah, I forgot, he’s from this building and was even on the same floor as ours.

                I forgot that the elevator’s walls are mirrors. He caught my eyes on the mirror. Maybe he was confused why I suddenly turned sideways so he looked at the mirror to see me.

                He held my left shoulder with his right hand and turned me towards his direction. I looked at him and bowed. He then smirked.

                “Hyun,” he said bubbly.

                “Yo~ng,” I was amazed, I managed to cite his name without stammering but prolonged it.

“Ya, Hyu~n, are you saying that I’m a dragon? Well, I’m not a dragon though.” He said light – heartedly.

I smiled at him shyly.

                “That’s a shy smile, it would’ve been nice if you smiled truthfully,” he said casually.        

I don’t know what to say, is this guy making a conversation with me?

                “You really are silent though,” he said lightly. “Where are you heading?”

                “Pizza store,” I answered shortly.

                “You must be staying at one of the units here, what unit are you?” he asked politely.

                It’s obvious that this guy doesn’t know that we’re neighbours. I answered, “205.”

                “What? We’re neighbours. I’m from unit 204. I was surprised, it seems like I don’t happen to see you,” he said amazed.

                “We just arrived a week ago. My roommate Yoona and I don’t go out so much. We only go out when we want to eat and when Appa wants to see me. But apparently we’re moving today, so obviously we will not be neighbours anymore,” I explained courteously.

                “Wow, that’s the very first longest statement I’ve heard from you,” he spoke fascinated then continued. “But you haven’t dropped the formality and politeness yet.”

                I just smiled shyly again.

                “I think my mouth stopped you from talking again,” he said light – heartedly and grinned.

                We already arrived the ground floor unnoticeably. He walked me out to the pizza store as a gentleman but he kept on looking downwards.

                I frowned when he looked at me. I suddenly realized that I feel a little bit comfortable with this guy because I can show my true emotions to him. Well, I’m always easy to read, without saying a word, people can tell what’s on my mind if it’s the obvious.

                “You must be thinking why I’m always looking down,” it’s not a question but a statement.

                I nodded as a response.

                He laughed courtly and spoke. “You’re very easy to read,” he laughed again and continued talking. “I’m doing this so that fans will not notice me. See that bunch of teen-age girls there?” he asked me pointing to the bunch of girls wearing school uniforms.

                I looked at him and said “De?”

                “They are waiting for me to go out, but they haven’t notice since I’m with you. They always see me alone so they did not expect that it’s me when we went out,” he explained. “I don’t have any schedule this day, I was planning to visit home but I would preferto be treated with pizza.”

                “Oh,” is all I can say.

                He went inside with me at the pizza store, leading me to the ordering counter.

                “What do you want? Since I’m the guy I’ll be the one ordering,” he said casually.

                “The cheesy and spicy,” I answered, he nodded and I added. “Don’t forget the drinks, just the coke zero. Yoona’s conscious with her diet.”

                “You’re really a friend, you really know everything about her,” he said.

                I just smiled at him.

                “Please go sit there,” he said pointing to the vacant table, closest to the door. “I don’t want you standing and waiting here, the line’s a bit long.”

                I followed him, the line was really a bit long. The store really is the best pizza store in this street. I forgot to give him the bill so I returned beside him. He crossed his eyebrows as I handed him the money and I was surprised when he laughed.

                “It’s okay, it’s my treat today. You have to think of a better way to beat me in return,” he said playfully.

                “But---“ I started to insist but he point his index finger on my lips. This guy’s crossing the line, he’s on physical touch now.

                “No buts,” he said slowly and smiled that arresting smile. Before my tears would fall, I’d rather be on the vacant table that instance.

                I waited for a couple of minutes before he came bringing a big square box on his right hand and a paper bag on the other hand, I supposed those are the drinks. We just came out from the store when I heard a phone beeping.

                “Is it yours?” I asked casually.

                “I did not bring my phone,” he answered directly.

                I clutch my pockets, I forgot that I brought my cell phone. I looked at the screen, it’s Yoona calling. I pressed the answer button and talked to her.

                “Hey Y,”

                “Where are you? The truck’s already down. They’re starting to transfer our things,” she stated impatiently.

                I looked at my watch, it’s 10 minutes past eleven already. I looked at Yong Hwa who’s listening by my side. His expression’s blank.

                “Okay, I’m coming,” I answered Yoona.

                “I guess we’ll not be able to eat the pizza here anymore. Save it for lunch at our new place,” Yoona demanded.

                “Okay,” then I hanged up.

                “So?” Yong Hwa asked.

                “The truck has arrived. The transfer started already. I guess we’ll eat the pizza at our new house. But,” I answered him gradually.

                “But?” he asked.

                “But, you said you wanted to eat pizza with us,” I answered hesitantly.

                “Then I’ll go with you, let’s use my car and follow the truck that’s carrying your stuffs,” he answered hastily.

                “Don’t you have any appointments with your girlfriend?” I suddenly asked him. I was thinking what if Jin Yeon sees us together?

                His expression changed and suddenly turns sideways.

                “We’re not in good terms now,” he said it so stumpy that I can’t almost hear it.

                I looked at him moping, my thoughts are asking ‘Why?’ Then he started talking again. “We had a fight. She’s being unreasonable lately. She’s been always jealous of everything,” he looked at me and suddenly became lively again. “Enough of her, let’s focus on your relocation.”

                I nodded and smiled at him and he smiled back.

Yoonaand I just went down when all our packages are already transferred to the truck. Yoona was surprised when she saw Yong Hwa leaning his back on his white Audi R8 car that was parked behind the big truck that’s carrying our stuffs. He was waving at us.

Yoona waved back. “So he’s the reason of your tardiness,” she teased me.

I just look at her and grimaced.

We rode on Yong Hwa’s car following the big truck. Yoona pushed me to sit on the passenger seat. So I was sitting now beside Yong Hwa. The latter just laughed at my best friend’s eagerness. We have been travelling for minutes already. We already passed the ABCEI building and the University that I was enrolled to. Minutes later we passed our mansion and now we are entering the real estate subdivision that we own. Does it mean that I’ll be staying at one of the houses here?

The truck stopped in front of a very big white two – story house. And it is enclosed with white fences.

“Your house is really big,” Yong Hwa said casually.

“Maybe they are just misguided,” I responded uncertainly.

“Your name’s on the gate,” Yong Hwa replied and looked at me.

I looked at the gate. My name was indeed on the gate. It is printed in a cursive manner. I looked back at Yong Hwa, he smiled at me. I looked at Yoona, it seems like she was shocked. She was looking at the house, stunned.

All of us went down. There’s already a guard by the gate and he opened the gate for us and the truck drove into the lawn.  We just walked going to the house. The door opened and my Nanny came out and welcomed us. When did nanny arrive here? I thought she’s been staying with mom and Imo Yin Hye at Los Angeles. Dad really knows that we really need a Nanny here to take care of us and cook food for us.

I hugged nanny as she welcomed us. Yoona also hugged her. I did not think of anything else but to roam around the house. The living room seemed to be familiar. It’s one of my designs that Daddy really liked. The sofa is white, the different colour of throw pillows on it was neatly arranged. The centre table and the side tables are also white. On the centre table was a white vase with three tulips. Dad really knows everything about me. Tulip is my favourite flower. Fronting the sofa is a long table with my pictures on frames when I was still young until I graduated from high school. Where did Dad get all of this? Do mom and dad still communicate behind my back? It would be great if it ends like that. The 36 inches flat screen television was attached above the long table. There were also different colours of bin bag around the living room.

I went to the kitchen and was surprised when the kitchen looked like our kitchen at Los Angeles. Maybe dad made it like this so that nanny can move comfortably having the same kitchen. There’s a mini bar at the side. The high – chairs are coloured green and yellow which looked so cute. The dining table was pure glass and the chairs around it are steels with foams on it.

I went to the back yard. There’s a small garden at the left side and on the right side there’s an elevation. There’s a four –step stair. I went up there and found that it’s a swimming pool. It is formed S for our surname’s initials. On the left side of the pool is a shed with four sun bathing lounges. On the right side was a round wood table with four wood chairs around it. The style is like of the western type.

I went again inside and found Yoona, Yong Hwa and Nanny talking at the living room.

“This house is great,” I claimed.

Nanny laughed and talked. “You should see your bedroom upstairs,” she pointed the centre door upstairs. I went upstairs and went to the centre door. My name was finely carved on the door. ‘SEO JOO HYUN’. I opened the door and went inside. The first thing I saw was the bed. There’s a king – sized white bed in the centre. The pillows are white. Above my bed is a big frame of my recent pictures, it was arrange in a collage manner. On the left side and right side are silver tulips standing. When you’ll look at my walls there are square glasses. You can see what’s outside the house when you’ll look at it even from afar. There are some square boxes of my wall. Some books are already properly arranged there.

I also have a mini- living room at my room. There’s a white round table with a vase of plastic tulips. There are two white foamed – chairs by each side of the table. On the left side is where my white piano situated. Dad bought me this piano when I was seven. Above my piano hanged my white violin, mom gave me that when I was eight. Beside my piano is a secret door. It’s a secret door because if you’ll not push it, it’ll just be an ordinary mirror. I discovered it when I held my reflection on the mirror, the mirror swung. I entered the secret passage and found out it was a bathroom and a walk – in closet. There’s a white bath tub and a shower with a glass division on the bathroom. When I entered the walk – in closet, there are already garments.

I was really satisfied with my house. I can really call it my house. Most of the designs are mine. I think that’s the reason why dad named this house under my name.

I went out of my bedroom and notice another door next to mine. The door was finely carved with Yoona’s name. I’m happy that dad did not forget about Yoona. When I went downstairs the three are not in the living room anymore. I heard conversations from the kitchen so I went there. Yoona and Yong Hwa are sitting on the high – chairs by the mini – bar. Nanny is serving them the pizza Yong Hwa and I bought.

“Oh, there you are,” Yong Hwa exclaimed and asked me. “How’s your assessment? Is it okay?”

“Okay would not be enough, it’s so breathtaking, tremendous and overwhelming,” I said enchantingly.

Yong Hwa laughed at my answer. Yoona and Nanny laughed along. I flushed when I realized I was just so excited that for the first time, I exaggerated my answer. Normally, I would just say ‘fine’ or ‘okay’, but this house is really great that I was overwhelmed and let me blurted those words verily.

“You’re really red now,” Yoona teased me.

“Good luck on your sanctuary,” Yong Hwa wished me.

I smiled at them and bowed.

“She’s polite---“ Yong Hwa and Yoona spoke together, looked at each other, laughed loudly and looked at me.

I laughed at their reactions. I sat beside Yong Hwa since it’s the vacant and suitable chair. Yoona’s eyes teased me. I did not mind her. I just eat along with them for I’m really starving.

Well, I really like my place. No, sanctuary would be the best term to use. My sanctuary.