REUNION

MY FIRST AND ONLY LOVE

 

For the past two years, I enjoyed myself living a simple life with Soo Young unnie and Hyun Hwa. At first, it was not really easy to raise a child. I have difficulties in middling my job as a mom and does my office job at the same time, but being around them only determined me more to do my duties.

                I remained working at the Engineering Firm with Soo Young Unnie. I become more open to her from the moment I told her about everything. She really acts as an Unnie for me. Although she cracks jokes all the time, the sisterhood she gave me always prevails. Those advice she gave me were really helpful that I really feel grateful.

 

                “Hyun-a, splash, splash, splash...” I heard Soo Young unnie from the bathroom, she was playing with Hyun Hwa at the bathroom. She volunteered to bathe Hyun Hwa for the reason she really loves playing with the water so much.

                I opened the door as I heard the doorbell rang.

                Another wedding invitation.

                Leeteuk and Yoona’s Wedding.

                Yoona was determined to look for me when she knew about my meeting with Jong Hyun oppa. So without the others knowing, she searched for me and I was really surprise one early evening to see her sitting on the couch at the reception of our apartment’s complex.  

                “Joo Hyun,” she screamed and ran towards me.

                We hugged each other for a couple of minutes as I felt my tears falling. I really miss my best friend, been guilty all these years not confiding her about my secrets.

                But I know she’ll understand me.

                When we release from the embrace, I saw the query in her eyes.

                I guided her to our unit and let her sit on the love seat at our living room.

                “I miss you,” she said, full of sincerity.

                “I miss you more,” I replied.

                “I understand that you were badly hurt when he broke up with you, but you don’t need to run away from him all this years,” she spoke and wondered how she knew about the break – up, but then realized that she’s seeing him.

                I need to... for Hyun Hwa.

                I felt something in my throat. I know at that moment, minutes from then on, river of tears will come storming down my face. I know that she was there to confide her thoughts about missing me, but I ended up confiding everything that happened, stammering by the moment I felt the dagger stabbing my loving heart whenever I mention his name.

                She was really surprised, she cried along with me while consoling me.

                “Why not tell me about it? You know we will understand you. Tiffany and I will always understand you,” she spoke. 

                “Minaheyo,” is all I can reply.

                She kept on rubbing my back, she was always the strong one.

                “When will you tell them?” she suddenly asked.

                I just shook my head and I see the understanding in her gaze.

                Before she left she ask me to see Hyun Hwa.

                I guided her to our room where Soo Young unnie is playing with Hyun Hwa.

                Soo Young unnie was surprise to see Yoona as well as the latter. I know they’ve met at Yuri unnie and Siwoon oppa’s wedding. But after the curious looks, the encouraging smile in Soo young unnie’s lips welcomed us.

                Hyun Hwa waved at us when she saw us. She smiled when she saw me and climbed down the bed.

                “Omono, you got your appa’s features so much,” Yoona squealed and was taken aback and mouthed “Sorry.”

                “Appa,” Hyun Hwa spoke with creased eyebrows.

                I was also surprised when she said that, it’s her first time saying ‘appa.’

                “It’s okay, Soo young unnie says, too, so,” I told Yoona.

                “Will you be okay when you see him one day?” Yoona asked me, concerned.

                “I should be, Y,” I answered her, fully determined.

                “I think appa will not recognize you, sweetie, he doesn’t know about you at all,” I spoke to my innocent child.

                She kept on smiling.

                They were right about her having his features. Those puppy – expressive eyes he is having, the fine – shaped nose followed with the fine – shaped red lips. She almost got all of his features. She resembles her dad too much that I became afraid of. People will surely see the familiarity of her feature, she’s a girl version of her father’s face.

---------------------------------

                We arrived at Seoul Korea a day before Yoona’s wedding.

                It’s a beach wedding and Yoona already prepared a cottage for Soo Young unnie and me.

                I got a nanny for Hyun Hwa, to look over her while we are out for the ceremony. The wedding will be a sunrise wedding so I woke up around 4:30 am, getting ready for the wedding.

                Soo Young unnie also went outside her room when I just went out from the room.

                Hyun Hwa’s nanny, Mai, already prepared coffee for both us.

                Looking at Soo Young unnie, she’s also pretty.

                Wearing a cocktail baby pink haltered dress revealed her well – defined shoulders and long slim legs. It is summer so the temperature outside would not be that cold. She matched it with silver flat gladiator sandals. We can’t walk on the sand with high heels so we bid our heels goodbye for the occasion.

                She looked at me and smiled, “You look awesome. Single men will drool over you.”

                I grinned with her gag.

                I studied myself through the mirror.

                I wore a peach strapless rumpled dress which is a few inches above my knee and match it with white flat shoes. My orange – brown hair which I maintained into a bob -cut was carelessly waved. I thought it would be best to leave it down to cover my face. My slim figure has returned and I felt my skin was also fairer as ever.

                “Let’s go,” Soo young unnie woke me up.

                “De,” I answered.

                We went to the venue.

                The venue was decorated with pink roses. There’s an improvised stage surrounded with hanging pink roses. It was decorated like a vine crawling in every corner with a pink rose all over it. The stage is about facing the sea, that enables the witnesses who are sitting on the decorative white chairs see the rising sun from the east part of the ocean.

                Tiffany literally screamed when she saw me, she left Joon – oppa who was busy talking to Teukie oppa. She hugged me tightly and mouthed “I miss you.”

                I hugged her and kissed her on the cheeks.

                I was not surprised to see her calm, I know Yoona had already told her about everything which she was really felt sorry for. Yoona made her swear not to tell her brother about it.

                The gang is complete again.

                I went towards Mom and Dad who is consoling the crying Yin Hye Imo.

                “Omma, Appa, Imo...” I spoke towards them.

                The three of them stood up looking at me as if they’ve seen a ghost. The other guest looked at our direction.

                I can see them surprised seeing the only child of the Seo family has returned.

                “Joo Hyun – ah,” Mom and Dad spoke at the same time.

                We formed a big hug as I can hear mom sobbing.

                I bit my tongue not to cry, I need to be strong for today.

                “Where have you been all these years?” Dad asked.

                “I need you to hear me out, Appa. Let’s talk after the wedding. All we need to do now is enjoy Yoona’s wedding.”

                They understood me.

                Yuri unnie with Si Woon oppa came and was really surprised to see me along with Soo Young unnie, full of questions in their eyes. Followed by Alex Oppa and Shin Ae unnie and a bunch of others. I made a promise to explain later and made the wedding an excuse. I then went to the groom and told him my best wishes. Teuk oppa just smiled. Joon – oppa will be the best man and Tiffany will be the maid of honor. I refused to be the maid of honor which Yoona understood.

                A few minutes after greeting everyone, Soo Young unnie and I found our seats at row after my parents. On our row there were Jong Hyun – oppa, Jung Shin and Min Hyuk.

                The ceremony started as the groom walk to the aisle followed by the primary sponsors, followed by the  secondary sponsors, the maid of honor, and all the guest have been waiting for, the bride.

                All the guest stood up when the bride walk along the aisle. Yoona was really beautiful wearing the long white strapless sparkling bridal gown. The sparkling sequins glows as the rising sun reveals its brightness. She smiled as she goes for her destination, her groom.

                I was really happy for Yoona. It’s been a long time since I attended a wedding. Maybe because I refuse to go to wedding since it will remind me with my failed one.

                I was about to sit when one figure caught my attention. He was wearing dark gray formal suit. It was clear that he just woke up with his messy hair. But although he looks messy with the hair, he’s good – looking face still reigned. The ever tired but charismatic eyes he is having was present, the fine – shaped nose which I complement a lot and his red lips that resembles my daughter’s lips really made me want to cry because I was experiencing the stabbing inside my heart once again.

                Soo Young unnie pulled me down just as he was about to look at my direction.

                I was thankful about unnie’s action.

                What if our eyes meet at that time, it will surely make my world stop and I know that the rain clouding my eyes will fall any moment.

                Yoona being the bride really gave me an alibi for the tears running through my cheeks. Soo Young unnie gave me a hanky. I tried to control my tears but I can’t. I kept on crying. Good thing I did not apply any make – up, so crying too much will not make me messy.

                The ceremony ended well, when it was time for the wedding picture, I tried my hardest to join even once, when the close friends of the bride were called, I face Soo Young unnie asking her If I looked okay.

                “You’re beautiful as ever,” she complimented.

                I stood up and began marching towards the newlyweds. I kissed Yoona on the cheeks. I congratulated her and she mouthed “Thank you.”

                After the flashes of cameras, the groom’s friends were called.

                I hurriedly went off the stage but because of looking down too much, I bumped into a tall figure. I was too nervous to look up at the guy. I was relieved to see Joon oppa. But the man who is next to him made my eyes cloudy again.

                No, I will not cry.

                “Sorry, oppa,” I apologized to Joon oppa and bowed at Yong Hwa – oppa who just stared at me blankly.