MY FOSTER SISTER JIN YEON

MY FIRST AND ONLY LOVE

 

We’re all sitting around the table; the only vacant seat is dad’s seat. He just called that he’s on his way. He just finished a meeting and was caught by traffic on his way home. Dad was never late, it’s the first time I caught him late.

I was planning to excuse myself to go to the powder room because I’m feeling anxious and I don’t know why. It’s maybe because I always caught the eyes of my foster sister Jin Yeon staring at me.

She’s been glancing at me since we sat around the dining table after Yuri – unnie introduced her to me and Yoona. I don’t like to be stared at, and this girl’s been doing it the whole time. What’s with her? I was about to stand and excuse myself when dad entered the dining room.

Since I was half – sitting and half – standing I made an excuse to welcome dad with a kiss. But before I reached dad’s side, Jin Yeon’s already beside him and was kissing him on the cheeks.

“Welcome home, Appa,” she said cheerfully and looked at my direction. She smiled at me teasingly.

“Thanks Jinnie,” dad responded.

I reached dad’s side and also kissed him on the cheeks.

“Hey there, honey, I missed you so much,” dad said verily and hugged me.

Jin Yeon was beside us and I can see the jealousy in her eyes. I don’t know what’s with this girl and what her intentions may be, her actions just shows that she feels insecure with me. What should she be insecure with? I found her beautiful, she has a fair complexion and she also has a perfect body. Oh, right! She’s an orphan.

                Even an orphan who has already a foster family still feels insecure with the biological child of his or her parents. Does that mean this girl is one of those orphans? Well, I should learn to understand her if that’s the case.

                The dinner went out well, the conversation all throughout the dinner was all about me and Yoona. How we’ve been, how’s mom and Imo Yin Hye, what’s our plans for our stay in Korea, and other stuffs. We just answered politely and also asked if how they’ve been here in Korea.

                “Everything’s fine here,” Alex – oppa answered. “I’ve been helping Appa about the business, the schedules of the meetings has been covered up the past days.”

                “I’ve been busy at the hospital the past days. It’s nice that the dinner was scheduled tonight. It’s my rest day,” Yuri – unnie added.

“It seems like everyone has been busy the past day, how about you, Jinnie?” Dad suddenly asked the silent Jin Yeon.

She did not respond for a while but then spoke eventually. “I was busy with my acting career. The shoots are scheduled every other day which exhaust me. But I get to live with it.”

“You’re an actress?” Yoona asked surprised. 

“Yes, Yoona,” dad responded. “She’s been acting for months already.”

Yoona just nodded.

“I heard you want to be an actress, Yoona,” Jin Yeon stated smugly. “It would take years to be trained.”

“That’s true, but having my authority I can make her famous any minute now,” dad said proudly and smiled at Jin Yeon.

Jin Yeon was embarrassed and bowed her head. Yoona hid a smile on seeing Jin Yeon embarrassed.

“So, uncle, does it mean that I can start now?” Yoona joked.

Dad just laughed with her joke and we all laughed.

We shared another bunch of conversations. When it reached 9:00 pm Dad excused himself saying he’s too old to be sleeping up late. Jin Yeon then followed knowing she can’t get along with us. Not long after dad and Jin Yeon left, Alex – oppa also excused himself.

“Sorry girls, I’m really sleepy at the moment,” Alex – oppa spoke and yawned.

The three of us was left at the living room, Yuri – unnie, Yoona and me.

“I missed those days when we would stay up late chatting about our school’s heartthrobs and our mischief at school,” Yuri – unnie suddenly come out with.

“Yeah, you had a crush with a guy you thought was a student but was in fact your medical professor,” I responded.

“And how you got embarrassed sending him those silly gifts,” Yoona added and the three of us laughed.

“Omma Sae Hyun, Imo Yin Hye or nanny would always come and reprimand our noise,” Yuri – unnie said. “I really missed them.”

We were silent for a moment and suddenly Yuri – unnie suddenly spoke again. “I heard Yoona had a boyfriend,” she looked at Yoona teasingly. “How can you have a boyfriend that even I don’t have any, in fact never got one.”

Yoona and I looked at each other. Then who’s the guy I’ve seen with her?

“Ya, what’s with the two of you? Is there something I do not know?” she asked curiously.

“Unnie, do you know were staying at the Condo Unit Appa owns?”I slowly asked her.

“Yup,” she answered watchfully and suddenly blurted. “I forgot! I should have visited you. I’ve been there this morning.”

“I was in the restaurant and I saw you with a guy. I thought that guy was your boyfriend,” I responded hesitantly.

“Omono! The handsome Yong Hwa,” she answered amused. “That’s Jung Yong Hwa. He was not feeling well and asked me to check him. He’s been experiencing back pains lately and he caught a cold when he ran into the rain.”

“Unnie ---“ Yoona was speaking when Jin Yeon interrupted.

“Unnie, did Yong Hwa – Oppa called? He haven’t called since he dropped you here this afternoon,” she spoke out of nowhere.

“He did not call. Try to call him on his landline if he’s not around maybe he’s on the shoot,” Yuri – unnie answered thoughtlessly.

“But, there’s no schedule for a shoot tonight,” Jin Yeon spoke childishly.

“Give him a break, Jinnie. I don’t know his schedule. Maybe he’s so exhausted and he’ll call tomorrow. When I checked him this morning I found out that it’s because of stress, so let him rest, okay?” Yuri – unnie advised Jin Yeon.

Jin Yeon just left without saying a word.

“Unnie, I want to continue the question I want to ask you before that girl interrupted,” Yoona said with irritation and looked at the direction where Jin Yeon left and looked back at Yuri - unnie. “Are you referring to Jung Yong Hwa the ‘I’m a loner’ guy, I mean the famous vocalist of the CN Blue band?”

I know the CN Blue band and their songs but I haven’t seen them even in pictures.

“Yup, it’s him. He’s staying in one of the condo units on the twentieth floor,” Yuri – unnie answered.

“What unit number?” Yoona and I asked at the same time. We don’t have time to look at each other. We were focused with unnie’s answer.

Yuri – unnie laughed at our reaction and answered. “Unit 204.”

“We’re staying at unit 205, our unit is just next to his unit,” Yoona declared.

Yuri – unnie laughed. “Don’t dream about him, he’s already taken.”

Yoona looked at me and acted exaggeratedly. She unexpectedly held her left chest with her right hand and creased her fist like she was experiencing pain and blurted “ouch!”

I looked at her furiously; she did not mind my reaction and smirked.

“He’s the boyfriend of Jin Yeon. As you can see, she’s waiting for his call. This morning when Jin Yeon knew that I was having my day – off, she suddenly asked me to check on Yong Hwa since he’s experiencing back pains the past days. Jin Yeon and Yong Hwa got a fight because Yong Hwa forgot about their anniversary, it’s their first anniversary.

“He was following Jin Yeon to explain, but Jin Yeon already rode on her car and left Yong Hwa under the rain. She was guilty that she begged me to check on Yong Hwa who already caught a mild cold. She hasn’t shown her face to Yong Hwa because she was ashamed about her sudden outburst of anger the past day. “

“How did they meet?” Yoona asked intrigued.

“Appa Joon Seok adopted Jin Yeon when he saw that she has the potentials. That was four years ago. I was still in Los Angeles that time.  She was an orphan, her parents died when she was still a baby. She was raised in an orphanage. She really was hard working and intelligent just like Joo Hyun” Yuri – unnie looked at me and started speaking again. “It caught Appa’s attention; he can see Joo Hyun in Jin Yeon’s character, shy and silent but intelligent. He adopted Jin Yeon and promised to give her a bright future. Since Jin Yeon wants to be an actress, she was trained for years and really worked hard for it. She debuted few months ago and became famous.

“Yong Hwa, on the other hand, as a family friend - he is the son of one of Appa’s business partner - is always present during special occasions in the mansion. Yong Hwa met Jin Yeon a year ago on Alex – oppa’s birthday. Jin Yeon caught his attention; he told me that he hasn’t seen a girl so pure and innocent like Jin Yeon. Suddenly they were rumoured as lovers, pictures of them dating was exposed through the internet. They then decided to be in public just two months ago. The public don’t know that they’ve been dating for a year by now.”

“Pure and innocent, I can’t see that in her, she’s been acting like a wild cat the whole time,” Yoona said carelessly.

“There’s only one permanent thing in this world, that’s change and she has it. She changed or maybe exposed her true colour. After I found out that they were dating, she suddenly changed into a spoiled brat. She always get what she wants, poor Yong Hwa, he would do anything just to make her happy. I think he just pitied her so much since she lost both her parents at a very young age, while Yong Hwa only lost his mom, he still has his dad. That could be the reason why Yong Hwa would do anything for her,” Unnie explained.

“So does it mean he doesn’t love her? He just sympathize her?” Yoona asked and suddenly looked at me. Her eyes telling me ‘there is still hope’.

“Maybe yes, and maybe no. I always hear him utter the words ‘I love you’ to Jin Yeon when he leaves and I’m eavesdropping by the living room,” Yuri – unnie stated then smiled.

Yoona just nodded.

“It seems like, we’re just the two here. Where had Joo Hyun gone?” Yuri – unnie joked and looked for me under the side table, throw pillows and under the sofa.

I laughed and spoke. “Hey, I listened.”

“Oh, there she is,” the two shouted at the same time. They looked at each other and looked at me. Then the three of us laugh out so loud.

We heard footsteps coming. We looked at the direction where it came from. It’s dad. He stared at us blankly. We looked at each other and then grinned.