Chapter 9

Eyes, the window to the soul

Dara's POV

I was now making my way back to the apartment, my hands in my jacket pockets with my head down, as I contemplated what had just transpired at the restaurant.

This was the second time Jiyong had gotten angry tonight. This was much worse than the one that occurred in the apartment. I really couldn't understand what had triggered it. Was it something I had said? I thought what I had asked him was something normal and safe. I mean, I really didn't expect that kind of reaction from him. Even when we were younger, I had never seen him change from one extreme to the next so fast. One minute he was teasing me the next he looked like he was out for my blood. I knew it was none of my business, I mean we were barely even friends, stuck in limbo between our past title of 'arch nemesis' and my attempt to be civil, but I couldn't help but ponder what had made him flip.

I mechanically put my key in the door to the apartment, my mind still thinking up possible reasons, when the door was yanked open.

"PARK SANDARA! WHERE ON EARTH HAVE YOU BEEN?!" I looked up to see a fuming CL, her arms folded over her chest which was heaving up and down.

"DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS?!" she continued in anger.

I blinked at her and moved to the right to take a glance at the clock in the living room. Oh crap.... "Ermm.. 22:30?" I answered nervously.

"Damn right it is! Where have you been this late at night? I came home at 21:00PM to an empty apartment! Do you know how worried I was? Why didnt you pick up your phone?!" CL chided me.

"Mianhe Chae, I left my phone at home and I didn't notice the time..." I explained as I walked into the apartment and plopped down onto the sofa tiredly.

CL sighed heavily, and closed the door before sitting besides me. "Where were you? I thought you had an assignment to do?" she said more calmly.

"I'm really sorry I had you worried CL-roo, but I can take care of myself," I apologised. CL had always been super protective of me since I was young. She didn't seem to understand that I was old enough to take care of myself, I mean she was younger than me for goodness sake, I should be worried about her not the other way around! "I went out to get some food... with Jiyong..." I trailed off.

I turned to see CL's eyes widen like saucers in shock. "Y-you, went out with... with Jiyong Oppa?" she repeated slowly. She scooted closer to me slowly, then grabbed my shoulders and shook me. Hard. I swear my eyeballs were about to come tumbling out. "WHO ARE YOU?! What have you done to my Ssantoki! Have you hit your head somewhere Dara?! Oh no! Oh no! How am I going to explain this to Imo and Samchon?!" Cl continued to fret, standing up and began nibbling her nails, a clear sign of stress. I sat there silently, waiting for her to calm down.

"Oh gosh. I've broken their daughter! They're going to hate me forever!" Cl wailed as she began pacing. She suddenly stopped and turned to look at me, and pointed aggressively at me "YOU! You are now on a stict curfew! D'you hear me?! I want you home by 18:00PM! NO! 17:00PM! 18:00PM is still too late!" She continued to ramble and converse with herself.

I glanced at the clock. Okay, I've given her enough time to freak out. I stood up and grabbed her arm and shook her twice as hard as she had shook me earlier. "LEE CHAERIN! CALM YO DOWN!" I shouted in her face. She stood there eyes wide and mouth hanging open, before nodding slowly. I sighed and grabbe dher arm pushign her to sit back down.

"Nothing happened to me I'm fine! After class I'd managed to convince Jiyong to come over and do the assignment. After the talk we had at lunch I realised you were right, and I should try and make peace with him, and maybe become friends. The assignment ended up taking 5 loooong hours, and when he was about to leave, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask him to grab something to eat with me." I calmly explained. I looked at CL, and she had visibly calmed down, her brain soaking up the information. Suddenly a wide grin cracked on her face.

"Yeeee, check you out Dara-ah! Asking out Jiyong Oppa on a date" she teased as she shoved me playfully on the arm. My eyes widened in horror.

"YAH! It was not a date! It was a friendly gesture! You know, sometimes I wonder if you're my bestfriend or not, saying the same things as him!" I said as I turned away from her an pouted.

"Arasso, I'm only kidding Darongie!" CL cooed at me. "So I take it you and Jiyong Oppa are.. dare I say it... friends now?" CL joked.

I turned back around to face her with a serious face, "I don't know" I shrugged, "I mean before the assignment he was rather playful, you know like how he was when he was younger, with you guys... but then he started getting all riled up for no reason, so we ended up doing the assignment in silence, with a few words exchanged here and there..." I started to explain.

"Then when we were going out to eat, I tried to get him to engage in conversation, and started asking him about the boys and Dami, but he gave me really short answers, like he didn't want to talk about it, so I stopped trying. We ended up eating at a noodle place, and of course I ordered Jajangmyeon, and you know what those heavenely noodles do to me," I continued as CL nodded inbetween my account of the night.

"I thought I'd give it one more try and started asking about Imo and Samchon, as I was wondering if they had come back form Japan too. To my surprise he just got up threw some notes on the table and stormed off without warning." I finished, my face turning into a frown as I thought back to when he had stormed off.

"That's... really strange," was all CL said as she too frowned at the mental image she had created from the story. I shook my head, reminding myself that I shouldn't bother with his business. "Anyway, how was your night?" I asked CL.

Her face lit up as she grabbed my hand and started to enthusiastically retell her night out to me.

== 1 hour later ==

*Yawn* "Chae, let's go to bed. It's almost midnight," I suggested. CL nodded as we both got up and made our way to our respective bedrooms. "Goodbam Chae!" "Goodbam Darongie!"

I entered my room and flicked the switch on, my eyes immediately zoning in on the large window. I approached the window and was surprised to see that Jiyong still wasn't back yet. It had been at least 2 hours or so since he'd stormed out, I thought he would've come straight back to his apartment...

As I reached the window, the door to his room flung open, and a not-so-happy looking Jiyong struttered in. I saw him throw his jacket carelessly across his room, then lift his hands up to rake his hair. He paused mid-rake as his head slowly turned to the window. Gulp. He must've noticed me staring. He calmly walked up to the window and...

/shhhhhwwwppp/

My jaw dropped. Without a single explanation for what had happened earlier, the jerk closed his curtains on my face! Tch! To think I was worried about him and stressing over what had happened. That's just downright rude. In a huff I tugged my curtains shut, stomped to my bed and crawled into the covers.

"Stupid Jerkface" I mumbled before drifting off to sleep.

== The next day ==

Like yesterday, I woke up earlier than usual and went down to grab coffee for Chae and myself. This time though, my Caramel Macchiato tasted great. You know why? Probably because my morning was Jiyong-free.

"Arasso, I'll see you later neh?" I said as me and Chae bid goodbye to one another before heading off to our respective classes.

I walked in, coffee in hand and sat down at my seat. I see Jerkface isn't here yet. Hmph! Not like I care if he's late again I thought with a sour face. I took out my notebook and pens as well as the assignment we'd done. May as well hand it in a day earlier since it's done.

I picked up my coffee and took a sip whilst glancing out the window as I waited for class to start. I placed my coffe down, and soon heard the scrape of the chair next to me, announcing the jerk's arrive, before I felt a presence next to me. Hmph. I see he arrived here on time to day. I continued to look out the window, not bothering to greet him, as I pretended he wasn't there.

I went to reach for my coffee when..

/swish/

I grabbed... air? Huh? I looked at the table where my coffee was supposed to be to see... nothing. I slowly turned my head to the left to Jerkface happily drinking a cup of coffee. MY cup of coffee.

"YAH! KWON JIYONG! What do you think you're doing?! Give me back my coffee!" I demanded as I made a grab for my cup. He leaned away from me, as he took another long, slow sip. How dare he drink my cup of coffee as if nothing had happened last night! He hadn't even apologised for his rude behaviour and here he was merrily drinking my drink!

"Mmmm, Caramal Macchiato, just what I need in the morning." he sighed happily, "Why is it that your coffee tastes so much sweeter?" he questioned quietly to himself, seeming to be genuinely puzzled.

"How am I supposed to know?! Maybe because it tastes sweeter after you've stolen it off me!" I huffed. I gave up trying to snatch it back, he'd drank most of it already and I didn't fancy drinking from it after he'd put his filthy mouth on it. Ewww.

Before he could retaliate Mr Sang walked in and class soon commenced.

== 2 hours later ==

/Bell Rings/

"I'll see you tomorrow class" Mr Sang bid goodbye as he began to pack away his things. I quickly packed my things away and slung my bag over my shoulder, as I grabbed the finished assignment from the table. I walked around the jerk and quickly made my way towards the front before Mr Sang could take off.

"Excuse me Sir, here's the assignment." I placed the assignment on the table.

"I wasn't expecting this until tomorrow," he stated, his eyes showing traces of surprise.

"I know, but we had it done yesterday," I replied, "I would just like to say I'm really sorry for my behaviour yesterday, I'm not normally like that. I hope you won't judge me from yesterday, I will continue to work hard for the next three years," I apologised, as I bowed deeply.

I rose from my bow to see Mr Sang looking at me in curiousity, "Hmm" he merely answered.

I didn't know what to say afterwards, so I gave him an awkward timid smile, bowed again and fled from the room.

I went to the cafeteria to see Chaerin already seated with our food. I slid into my seat opposite her and we easily slipped into our usual useless chatter.

== 2 hours later ==

Lunch had finished, and I was now making my way towards my seat for our Economics class, and was surprised again to see Jiyong in his seat, in the exact same position as yesterday - sleeping. I ignored him and walked around him plopping down. Class would start in about 10 minutes.

"Hey.." I heard a soft voice. I turned my head from the window and looked ahead, to see the male student in the seat in front of me looking at me.

"Hi..?" I replied, questioningly not sure how to approach the situation. I never really grew out of my shyness as a child.

"Hey, I'm Kim Jaejoong," the guy - Jaejoong - introduced himself as he held his hand out for a hand shake. Well he seems friendly, you can do this Dara! Hwaiting!

"I'm Park Sandara, but you can call me Dara," I replied as I shook his hand. His hands were quite big but warm. He let go of my hand and smiled at me.

"Quite a few of the people in class are going out for an informal meal tonight to get to know each a little more, I was wondering if you would like to join us?" he asked politely. Well isn't that sweet? He's got the smile of an angel! I smiled back at him and was about to reply when...

"Okay class, let's start!" Mrs Kim walked in. Jaejoong smiled at me and turned back around, I guess I'll tell him I will come after the lesson finishes.

For the rest of the lesson I couldn't contain the smile that was on my lips.

== 2 hours later ==

/Bell Rings/

"So Dara-ssi, how about it?" As soon as the bell rang, Jaejoong turned back around to hear my answer.

"I would lo--"

"Sorry, she can't go," Jiyong cut in icily. My head snapped to the left to see Jiyong semi-glaring at Jaejoong. Waaaht?! What do you mean I can't go?!

"Erm, excuse me but as far as I am aware, I ca--"

"No. You can't go. Seungri wants to meet up with you today. He'll be around to pick you up later at 18:00PM be ready." he cut me off again, before rising from his seat, scraping his chair loudly and walking out of the room. I sat there flabbergasted. Since when were these plans made without my consent?!

"I guess you already have plans," Jaejoong chuckled "It's okay Dara-ssi, there'll be plenty of other meet ups, maybe next time neh?" he said, giving me a small smile before getting up and leaving the room too, leaving me alone, in shock from what had just happened.

Blink. Blink. Blink.

"KWON JIYONG!!!"


Author's Note:

Annyeong Yeoruben! In the process of doing the next chapter... Where *drum roll*... Lee Seungri will be making his appearance, along with a few others, can you guess who?! ^^
~Water Phoenix