Chapter 61

Eyes, the window to the soul

Dara's POV

/Hello y guy-ido, Hello handsome boy-ido/

If I hadn't of just found out about Kiko's plans earlier today, I would've rolled my eyes at the ringtone Jiyong had set for himself. Talk about being conceited. I mean, sure he's y and handsome, but no need to make it known all the time!

I bit my lip as I saw my phone still on my bedside table, having gone to voicemail. Jiyong had told me to call him later and I still hadn't, which was probably why he was calling me now.

I was too busy trying to sort through everything in my mind. What would I say? No doubt he would ask me what Yuri wanted to see me about. Would I lie? Pretend I didn't know anything? What good would that do? If I did tell him.. No! I shook my head, shaking the thought away. If I told Jiyong he would go crazy. He already hates his Appa so much.. I wouldn't want to create an even greater rift between them. The other option.. I didn't even want to contemplate the other option, the option where there was no Jiyong and I.

My heart beat painfully at the thought of not having Jiyong by my side. It's weird to think how much I needed him now, how much I relied on him. I used to be the one that people relied on, having to look after Sanghyun and Durami, it was nice to have someone looking out for me for once.

/Hello y guy-ido, Hello handsome boy-ido/

I reached out and picked up my phone, staring at the screen that flashed with Jiyong's name, this would be the third time he called, and knowing him, he'd be worried by now. Quickly, I hit the answer button, placing it against my ear.

"Dara? Are you okay? Why did it take you so long to pick up?"

"Hey," I whispered as I tried to hold back my emotions that suddenly began to surface upon hearing his voice that was heavily laced with concern, "Sorry I didn't pick up, I was in the shower."

".. Are you okay?" he asked after a short pause.

"Of course! Why wouldn't I be?" I let out a forced chuckle as I blinked rapidly in an attempt to blink back the tears, "Are you home already?"

"Just.. never mind," he stopped and cleared his throat, "No, I won't be back for a while. What did Yuri want to meet you about?"

"O-oh that? Just.." I paused, swallowing in an attempt to push my emotions down. From the moment I overheard Mr Sang and Jiyong's Appa, up until now, I had yet to shed a tear. Maybe I was trying to convince myself that everything was okay. Maybe I wanted to look strong in front of Yuri, to reassure her that I was okay, that I could handle this, but just the sound of Jiyong's voice.. I couldn't hold back my emotions anymore. The thought that he would be taken from me. The thought of him not being beside me anymore. The thought of never being able to hear his voice.

"Dara?" Jiyong's voice broke through my train of thought, "Are you sure you're alright?"

"I--"

"Jiyong! Hurry, we need you!"

I frowned slightly at the faint voice in the background.

"Hey babe, I have to go now," Jiyong rushed, "We'll talk about this later okay? I love you. Bye!"

Before I could even utter a single word Jiyong had cancelled the call. In normal circumstances I would've been pissed that he had hung up on me, but I couldn't help but feel relieved that I now had more time to think over everything.

"Ssantokki-- Are you crying?"

 

========

 

"Jiyong?" I croaked, squinting into the darkness.

"Hi babe, sorry I woke you," he whispered as he sat down on the edge of the bed.

"What are you doing here?" I asked drowsily, confused as to why he was here, considering he said he wouldn't be back till much later and would just see me the next day.

"I missed you," he said truthfully as I felt his fingers come up to brush the hair away from my face, gently my cheek in the process, "and I was worried about you."

"Worried?" I pushed myself up and rubbed my eyes to rub away the sleep.

"Mmm," he hummed as he shrugged off his jacket and crawled onto the bed to lean against the headboard beside me, immediately grabbing my hands, interlacing them with his own, "Stop rubbing your eyes."

"Mm'kay," I mumbled, instinctively leaning my head against his strong shoulders. Even the softest pillows in the world couldn't beat Jiyong's sturdy shoulders. It was like they were made like this solely for this purpose.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong?" he asked quietly into the darkness.

"Who said anything was wrong?" I questioned back, shifting my head slightly to look up at him.

He let out a deep sigh before bringing his finger up to playfully shove my forehead, "You did."

"No I didn't--"

"Your voice. I know when there's something wrong Dara, you don't have to tell me, I can hear it, feel it. So don't deny it. Tell me. I've been worried all night," he confessed as he drew soothing circles on the back of my hand.

I cast my eyes down as I bit my lip. I knew I couldn't hide anything from Jiyong, but maybe I could lie my way through it? I mentally shook my head and thought back to the conversation I had with CL earlier on.

~ Flashback to three hours ago ~

"Ssantokki-- Are you crying?"

I turned my head to see CL standing at my doorway, looking at me with concern.

"What? No!" I denied, looking down and quickly wiping my slightly damp eyes.

"Don't lie to me. What's wrong?" she accused as she closed the door and plopped down beside me.

"Nothing, i'm fine," I cringed as I heard my voice break slightly.

"You're not fine. What's wrong," she asked seriously, grabbing my shoulders to face her.

I stared at her for a long time as I contemplated whether to tell her. Would it be selfish of me to unload my problems on to her when she obviously had problems of her own?

"Remember Dara, you can tell me anything," CL said reassuringly, "Is it about Jiyong? Do I need to beat him up?"

I laughed dryly at her attempt to lighten the mood, shaking my head, "Yes, it's about Jiyong, and no you don't need to beat him up. Although a bit of violence wouldn't go a miss."

"Deal. Just tell me the name." she immediately agreed as she nodded her head resolutely, causing me to crack a small smile at my ever so protective best friend.

"Come on, just spill the beans, or do I have to slap it out of you?" she finally threatened, her patience having run out. She was never one to be patient.

I took a deep breath before telling her everything that had happened, from the moment I overheard the conversation to when I met Yuri who relayed the same message. I carefully watched CL's facial expression, as she attentively listened to me, not once interrupting to ask questions.

"I just.. I don't know what to do Chae. Do I just let him go? Just like that?" I said as I felt my heart thud painfully, "I love him.. I love him so much." I finished, clenching my jaw and closing my eyes in an attempt to prevent the tears that threatened to fall.

"You're so stupid."

My eyes snapped open as I heard the harsh words she delivered, staring at her through my watery eyes in surprise, to see her glaring at me with her arms crossed over her chest.

"W-what?"

"Don't you dare cry on me, not over something like this."

"H-huh.. w-what?" I stuttered in confusion. Didn't she just hear what I said? Why.. why was she being so mean?

"I said you're stupid Dara," she said in a softer tone, her voice no longer harsh as she shuffled closer to me, "You've answered your own question Dara."

"I.. I don't understand.." I frowned at her.

"You love him Dara," she simply stated.

I simply blinked at her, still not getting what she was trying to say.

"You love Jiyong," she repeated as if that was the answer to my problems.

"I don't understand. Of course I do."

CL sighed as she pulled back from me, grabbing my hands and holding them comfortingly in hers, "That's just it Dara. You love him. There is no other decision you should make."

She sighed again as she brushed the hair away from my face in a motherly manner, "You and Jiyong, you're a couple right? You love him, he loves you."

I nodded slowly at her, not getting where she was going with stating the obvious. Was I missing something here?

"I'm not speaking between the lines Dara," she said, as if reading my mind, "There's always one thing that people seem to always look over, the plain obvious. You and Jiyong, you're both in a relationship. Both of you. It takes two people to be in a relationship."

"You still don't get it do you?" she cracked a small smile at my dumbfounded expression, bringing her thumbs up to brush away the small traces of tears away from my eyes, "This isn't a decision you should make Dara. This is something you should consult Jiyong about. Being in a relationship doesn't give you automatic rights to make decisions for the other. He needs to know. It's not your decision as to whether Jiyong should get married to this random girl, or whether he should patch up and be all buddy buddy with his Appa. It's his decision. You can't make this decision for him."

"But.. his Omma wants them to--"

"No Dara," CL cut me off reprimandingly, "It's Jiyong's decision. Not yours, not his Omma's."

I slowly nodded as I began to absorb her words, finally understanding what she was saying, "I understand Chae, I do, but I don't want to be the person that steps in between the possibility of them repairing their relationship."

I frowned as I saw CL flinch slightly at my words.

"I know how you feel Dara," she said cryptically, "But again, it's not your decision. What if Jiyong doesn't want to repair the relationship? By the sounds of it, he hates his Appa."

"Yes, but I can't help but feel that deep inside... he wishes to have a complete family. He might hate him now, but that doesn't mean there isn't a possibility that they can't--"

"Dara," she cut me off sternly, "Listen to me! It's not your decision! You have to let Jiyong know! Are you really going to break up with him? Hmm?"

I flinched slightly at the thought of breaking up with Jiyong.

"I didn't think so. Jiyong loves you. I swear to god, if you do something reckless or stupid like not telling him and breaking up with him," she glared threateningly at me, "I will break your legs."

"Look Dara, you can't just take it upon yourself to step away from your relationship with Jiyong just because this girl is threatening your relationship. The Dara I know isn't that weak," she said, relaxing on her previous glare, "If you really think there is a possibilty of Jiyong and his Appa patching up, if you really believe it would do Jiyong good, if you really want to help their relationship, there are so many other ways. This isn't the all or nothing. There is always another way."

I cracked a small smile, feeling the weight lifting off of my shoulders, "Since when did my best friend become so knowledgeable in relationships huh?"

My smile widened as I saw her roll her eyes and grin at me, "It's called common sense, something you obviously lack."

"YAH!" I exclaimed, pushing her shoulder and glaring at her before giving her a thankful smile, "Thank you Chaerin. For always being here for me, and knocking sense into me."

"It's what i'm here for, i've got your back. Always."

~ End of Flashback ~

CL was right, this wasn't my decision to make. I could help Jiyong to make this decision, but ultimately it wasn't something I should keep from him. He had the right to know. He wasn't a child who had to have decisions made for him.

"Dara, please just tell me--"

"Tomorrow. I'll tell you tomorrow. I'm tired Jiyong. Please?" I pleaded with him as I squeezed his hand. I wasn't lying, I really was tired. I know what you're all thinking, i'm just stalling time, but I really was going to tell him. Just not now. I wanted to have a clear rested mind before I told him because god knows how he'll react once I tell him. I guess there was also a small part of me that was worried he would…

"Arasso, tomorrow," he relented before leaning down to give me a sweet peck on the lips.

 

== The next day ==

 

"Jiyong?" I pushed myself off the bed and looked around the room in confusion. I was positive that he came over last night.. or was it just a dream?

Shrugging I got up and went to prepare myself for the long day ahead. I definitely needed to muster up all my energy since I will be facing the raging Dragon later. That was something I was certain of.

I blinked in surprise as I saw Jiyong casually standing in the kitchen with CL exchanging pleasantries.

"You ready to go?" he asked, giving me a sweet smile as he placed his cup down and walked over to me, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"I thought it was a dream that you came over.." I murmured as I hugged him back, sighing in content when I smelt the oh so familiar scent that only belonged to Jiyong.

"Just exactly how often do I appear in your dreams huh?" Jiyong teased, "I didn't know my girlfriend was such a ert."

"You're so full of yourself you know that?" I said, my voice muffled as my face was still buried into Jiyong's chest, "And why is it that me dreaming about you must be erted huh?"

"Yah Oppa, you seriously need to stop coming over every night like some creepy thief. I swear, one day i'm probably going to hit you over the head with a pan," CL complained.

"I guess that's the risk i'm going to have to take since this stubborn woman here is refusing to live with me," he replied good naturally, "Besides, don't think I didn't see you tip-toeing over to our apartment the other night," he teased, winking at her.

I looked at CL in surprise to see her with a very faint blush colouring her cheeks as she glared at Jiyong, "Y-yah! OPPA! I-I don't know what you're talking about. Stop hallucinating and making things up!"

I chose to ignore Jiyong as I bit back a smile at CL's flustered face, and grabbed his hand, "I'm ready! Let's go!"

 

========

 

"Don't think i've forgotten Dara," Jiyong said sternly as we sat down in our seats.

"I know," I smiled softly as him, "Later, okay? Class is about to start."

Jiyong eyed me suspiciously causing me to roll my eyes and leaned up to give him a quick peck on the cheek, "I promise."

"A promise is sealed with this," he pointed at his pouty lips cutely, "not on the cheek."

I tried to resist the urge to roll my eyes at his childishness as I gave into his request and gave him an exaggerated kiss, similar to that of a child's kiss.

"Better?"

"Much."

 

========

 

I frowned as I looked at the clock on the wall, then to the classroom door, then to the empty seat in front of me. I was barely paying any attention to class as I allowed my eyes to follow this pattern over and over again, my frown getting deeper with each minute that passed.

It was almost the end of class and Kiko was no where to be seen. I already found it odd that she wasn't there to pounce on Jiyong the moment he stepped foot into the room, but not turning up to class at all? That was extremely strange. You would think with her plan she would be trying to get as close to Jiyong as possible.

Was she skipping class already? She didn't even know anyone in school except for Jaejoong.. so that seems unlikely.

"Hey babe, come on, it's lunch time," Jiyong's voice snapped me out of my thoughts as I looked around the empty class room to see everyone had already left, "Oh."

"What were you thinking about so hard?" he asked as we made our way to lunch.

"Nothing.. did you see where Jaejoong went?" I asked instead, maybe he would know where Kiko was.

"Why? What do you want with him?" Jiyong asked sharply.

"Oh.. I just wanted to ask him a question.." I said distractedly as I scanned the faces of the people we passed in the corridor.

"YAH! Sandara Park! Are you cheating on me?!" Jiyong exclaimed, stopping to stand in front of me with his arms crossed as he glared down at me.

"Huh? What?" I asked in a daze as I snapped my head to look at him, tilting my head at him in confusion. What did he say?

"Sandara Park.." he muttered menacingly, "If I find out you're cheating on me.."

My eyes rounded as I stared at him with disbelief, "Cheating on you?!"

".. I'm going to.. i'm going to.. to lock you in a tower forever, never to be seen again! " he blurted out cutely, waving his hands around to illustrate his point before crossing them again with a huff.

I stared at him for a few more seconds before bursting out into laughter, "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I didn't know we were in a disney movie!"

"Yah!" Jiyong's glare hardened as he watched me try my best not to fall to the floor in a laughing heap.

"You're adorable, you know?" I stated in-between my giggles as I tried to catch my breathe.

"Stop laughing. I'm serious. You better not be looking at any other man but me!" Jiyong demanded as he took a step, closing the distance between us and wrapped his arms around my waist possessively, "You're mine. Only mine."

My laughter finally died down as I stared back into the fierce eyes of Jiyong, my lips curving into a soft smile as I reached up to cup his cheeks. Was it possible to love this man anymore than I already did? He probably didn't realise just how much those words meant to me right now. It only solidified my resolve.

"Yours." I confirmed before leaning up on my tip toes to place a soft kiss on his lips, savouring the moment.

 

=======

 

"What took you guys so long?" Youngbae asked as we took our seats at the table.

"Ah, Jiyong was throwing a jealous fit," I teased with a smirk as I leaned into Jiyong's side and pinched his cheek cutely.

"Aish!" he complained as he pushed my hand away and scrunched his face at me.

"Over who?" Bom queried with a raised eyebrow.

"I don't know actually.. I kinda blanked out," I shrugged.

"Yah, so you weren't even listening to me?! This yeoja.." Jiyong scolded.

"Yeah well you love this yeoja-- Oh! There's Jaejoong!" I made a move to stand up as my eyes fixed on the figure of Jaejoong who was making his way out of the cafeteria.

"Where do you think you're going huh?! Sit!" Jiyong commanded, grabbing my wrist and pulling me back down into my seat, "Why do you want to see him so badly anyway?!"

"Uh Oh.. Jealous Dragon on the loose.." Daesung muttered.

"I just want to ask him something.." I pouted at Jiyong sadly.

"Why can't you ask me huh? Why do you have to ask him?"

"Because you don't have the answer to my question," I replied calmly, before my eyes narrowed ever so slightly "If you did happen to know, I would seriously be wondering exactly where you were and what you were doing yesterday!"

Jiyong tilted his head and looked at me questioningly, a gesture that told me he wanted me to elaborate.

"Haven't you noticed someone missing today?" I asked him, only for him to shake his head in response.

"Don't you think it's odd that Kiko isn't here today?" I shifted my eyes and shared a glance at CL to see her looking slightly surprised at my revelation, "She was all but trying to cling to you like a limpet yesterday.. and now today, she isn't even in? Isn't that just a little bit weird?"

Jiyong had a pensive look for a second before he shrugged again, "I don't see why that's weird.. maybe she's ill or something. It's not really our problem, why are you worrying about it?"

As harsh as it sounds I couldn't but smile a little at his words which proved he really didn't notice Kiko's absence, and didn't seem to care in the slightest.

"I don't know, something just doesn't seem right," I muttered with a frown, "Hence why I wanted to ask Jaejoong if he knew anything since he is her assigned guide."

"Aish, you tend to over think everything," Jiyong rolled his eyes and poked my cheek, "Stop worrying about her, she's not your problem."

I nodded at him, giving him a small smile before turning back to my untouched plate of food, continuing to pick at it, whilst my mind continued to ponder her whereabouts.

 

========

 

"Jiyong, before you leave for the day, Mr Sang said he would like to have a quick word with you," Ms Kim stated, "He will be in his office waiting for you."

Jiyong frowned at her words before turning to look at me, "Stay here, I doubt this'll take very long."

I nodded and continued to pack my things away whilst Jiyong made his way out of the classroom towards Mr Sang's office.. the same place where I had overheard Mr Sang and Jiyong's Appa's conversation. My eyes widened slightly as my mind worked overtime. Was Mr Sang going to tell Jiyong?!

I hastened my pace in packing up my things with the intention of heading to Mr Sang's office to see if my thoughts were correct.

"Oww.."

"Oh! Sorry Dara!"

I looked up from my sprawled position on the floor to see Jaejoong looking at me with an apologetic smile, his hand reached out towards me.

"That's okay, i'm sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going," I replied good-naturedly as I accepted his help in getting up from the floor.

"Have a lot on your mind huh?" Jaejoong asked as he bent down to pick up the things I had dropped as I brushed myself down.

"You could say that," I replied evasively, before my eyes widened, this would be the best time to ask him, especially since Jiyong wasn't around, since he wanted me to drop the topic of Kiko's whereabouts.

"Hey Jae, do you happen to know why Kiko isn't in today? I mean, just out of curiosity," I asked as casually as possible so as not to appear suspicious.

"Oh, didn't you hear?" Jaejoong stood up and placed the books carefully back into my bag, "She's gone back to Japan."

My eyebrows connected together in confusion, "What? For how long?"

"Yeah, I gave her a text at lunch to see where she was and she said she's gone back, and I think she's gone indefinitely," he explained as he handed me my bag.

"Why?" I couldn't help but ask.

"I don't know really, she didn't give me much of an explanation," Jaejoong shrugged, "She said something about how she had business to attend to in Japan and said she didn't think things would work out around here. She didn't say much else."

"Oh right.." I mumbled, "Well.. sorry for bumping into you again Jae. I best get going! See you tomorrow!"

Without giving him the opportunity to reply back to me, I walked around him and headed out of the classroom, my mind in a state of heavy confusion. Kiko has gone back to Japan? After just one day? Impossible. No way would she give in that easily, she just didn't strike me as the type. Even Jiyong's Appa said that she was the type to get what she wanted, by any means possible. So why all of a sudden back down and head back to Japan? It just didn't make any sense.

/lolli-lolli-lollipop/

I blinked as I heard the familiar ringtone, reaching into my pocket to grab my phone, placing it next to my ear.

"Dara-ah!" Omma's sweet voice floated through the receiver, "Do you have any plans tonight?"

"Omma!" I greeted back as happily as I could, shoving away all thoughts of Kiko away, "I don't think so why?"

"Great! You and Jiyong come over today okay? It's been a while!" she stated rather than asked.

"But I need to ask Jiyong if--"

"Aish!" I complained as I heard the familiar tone that told me my darling mother had hung up on me.

I jumped slightly in surprise when I felt arms circle around my waist before relaxing when the familiar scent that I loved so much evaded my senses.

"You're done already?" I asked as I turned around in his arms to look at him, immediately noting how his lips were pressed together in a tight line, telling me he wasn't very happy.

I began to feel panic rise within me. What exactly did Mr Sang say to Jiyong? Did he really tell him?

"W-what did Mr Sang want?" I asked, trying to keep my voice as level as possible so as not to show Jiyong how nervous I was.

"Nothing much, just the usual," he replied followed by a tired sigh.

"The usual?" I tilted my head to the side in confusion, "Care to elaborate?"

"Not really," he answered causing me to pout in annoyance, "But since I love you and you asked so nicely.."

He sighed again as he moved a lock of hair away from my face, curling it behind my ear, "Ever since I came back to Korea, every so often Mr Sang would corner me and try to convince me to get in touch with him."

"Why would he do that?"

"Beats me," Jiyong replied with a shrug, "It honestly baffles me as to why he tries so hard. I mean, it doesn't make much sense. The man should hate him as much as I hate him, maybe even more."

I nodded in agreement as I remembered what Jiyong had told me. The reason why his parents eventually divorced was because his Appa had cheated.. with Mr Sang's wife. So why was it that Mr Sang seemed to hold no hatred towards the man who he considered a friend, yet betrayed his trust?

"Was that it? He didn't say anything else?" I asked him, to which Jiyong shook his head. I couldn't help but feel slightly relieved that that was all Mr Sang said. I smiled slightly at the thought of Mr Sang talking to Jiyong about his Appa the day after his conversation with him. He had made it obvious he didn't approve of Jiyong's Appa's plan and was probably hoping to convince Jiyong to help his Appa without the need of marriage.

"Who were you on the phone to?" he asked as his eyes narrowed slightly, "It better not be Jaejoong!"

I rolled my eyes at him and slapped his chest playfully, "No it wasn't. It was Omma, she wants us to come over tonight, do you have any plans?"

"Nope, my plan is to be wherever you are."

 

========

 

"Omma!" I greeted with relief as I hugged my mother. The whole drive here Jiyong had been pestering me, wanting to know why I was acting off the previous night. I had plans to tell him after school but after learning of Kiko's departure back to Japan, I wasn't so sure I should tell him anymore. I mean.. if the problem was gone, was there any point in telling him? Only for him to get riled up and give him further reason to hate his father? Also, I didn't want the mood to be ruined at my parents if I told him on the journey over.

"Omo! Someone's happy to see me!" she laughed as she hugged me back, "I didn't think you two would come so soon. Dinner won't be ready for quite a while."

"That's alright Omma, we can help," Jiyong offered giving her a quick hug.

"Are Sanghyun and Durami not back from school yet?" I asked as I tied an apron around Jiyong.

"Not yet, they should be back soo--"

/Door Slams/

"OMMA, APPA, I'M HOME!" Sanhyung's voice boomed loudly through the house, "Oh noona! You're home!" he said happily when he noticed my presence in the kitchen, immediately walking up to me to give me a brotherly hug before giving Jiyong a quick fist bump.

"Where's your sister?" Omma asked with a frown.

"I don't know, the brat told me not to wait for her and that she'd be home later," Sanghyun shrugged as he opened the fridge and began rooting around for food.

"Yah! No snacks before dinner!" Omma hit his arm with a spatula, "How could you just leave your younger sister like that huh?"

"Omma!" Sanghyun whined as he nursed his arm, "What did you want me to do? Follow her around?!"

"You should've told her to come home! Where did she go?" Omma interrogated him with a frown.

"How am I supposed to know?!" he shot back in irritation, "I'm not her bodyguard! She said something about meeting up with someone after school."

"WHAT?!" Omma exclaimed, "Meet up with someone? Who? How come she didn't tell me?"

"I don't know! Aish, i'm going to get changed!" Sanghyun waved Omma off and exited the kitchen, making his way upstairs.

"Don't worry Omma, i'm sure Durami is fine," Jiyong tried to reassure her.

"But she doesn't usually go out after school.. and if she does she always tells me. Without a doubt," Omma replied, worry marring her face.

"I'm sure she's fine Omma, Durami's grown up and responsible enough," I finally spoke, trying to reassure her as well, despite the fact that I too was worried about my younger sister's whereabouts.

Omma nodded and turned back to cooking, her frown still obvious on her face as she quietly worked. Jiyong and I looked at her in worry before turning to work on the food, silence filling the kitchen.

As the minutes ticked by, the more agitated Omma would get, constantly looking at the clock and sometimes dropping utensils.

"Jiyong, you help Omma," I commanded as I took my apron off and hung it up, "I'm going to call Durami and have a look around to see where she is.

"I'll come too--"

"No, you stay here and help Omma, it's been a while, you don't know the area as much as I do. I'll be back soon," I cut him off and gave him a quick peck on the lips.

"Okay, but keep your phone on you," he relented.

"I will, i'll update you when I find her, i'm sure it's nothing to worry about though," I said loudly, but Omma seemed to be lost in her own thoughts. She was always a worrier.

 

========

 

"Aish, you brat. Why aren't you picking up your phone?!" I muttered in annoyance after the nth time of trying to call my younger sibling, worry etched heavily on my face.

I bit my lip as I looked around. Where would Durami go?

I sighed and made my way to the local cafe I used to frequent when I still lived at home. Maybe they had seen Durami and could point me in the right direction.

"Oh! Dara-yah, it's been a long time!" Han byul greeted me cheerfully, "What can I do for you?"

"It has hasn't it?" I gave her a small smile, "Have you seen Durami around by any chance?"

"Durami? I don't think so.." she replied, "Yah, Dong Wook! Have you seen Durami?"

"Hmm? Ohh, hi Dara!" he greeted upon seeing me before a thoughtful look crossed his face, "Ah yes, she came in about an hour ago."

"Was she alone? Do you know where she went?" I asked hopefully.

"She met up with a boy, I think they went to the restaurant just across the road," he replied as helpfully as possible.

"What?! A boy?!" I exclaimed. I didn't even know Durami liked boys! Okay.. I know, that sounded stupid, but she was my baby sister! Shouldn't she be playing with my little ponies or something?! Not meeting up with boys!

"I'm going to give her a piece of my mind!" I muttered darkly as I my heel and stormed towards the door, not even bothering to bid Hanbyul and Dongwook a goodbye.

"Oof."

"Oh! I'm sorry!" I quickly apologised. Why was I bumping into everyone today?! I bent down to pick up the wallet of the man I bumped into when my eyes widened.

I carefully picked up the opened wallet and stared at the slightly tattered picture that was positioned on the left of that wallet. It was a picture of a young boy, a boy I knew very well, who was perched on top of a man's shoulder, one little hand clutching onto the man's hair, whilst the other was clutching onto the hand of a beautiful woman stood beside the man. There was no mistaking who they were.

I slowly straightened up, my eyes lifting from the picture in the wallet to meet with the eyes of the man I had bumped into.

"Samchon."

 

========

 

Jiyong's POV

"She'll be alright Omma, don't worry. If she's anything like her older sister, she can look after herself," I said, breaking the silence that had once again settled over the both of us after Dara's departure.

Dara's Omma looked up at me and gave a small smile, nodding in agreement, "You really love my daughter don't you?"

A wide smile spread on my face as I nodded in confirmation, "Without a doubt."

"You know, your mother and I always wished that this would happen," she started, her features taking on a nostalgic look, "From the get go, the both of us tried to push you and Dara together. It was a little childish of us, but we had grown so close to each other, we wanted the bond between our families to be even greater."

"I guess you guys had an eye for these things, considering how things turned out. Everything turned out just as you two wanted," I replied with a smile.

My brows knitted together as I saw her smile drop, sadness taking over her features, "Ani Jiyong, things didn't turn out how we wanted. Not at all."

I tilted my head in confusion, "I thought you always wanted Dara and I--"

"Yes, we wanted you and Dara together.. but not like this. We had it all planned out.. if you two ever dated, our families would throw a huge party, but I guess that'll never happen now. I just wish you guys had never left to Japan," she said sadly as she grabbed my hand, patting it in a motherly way, "Maybe then, everything that happened in Japan never would've happened and you wouldn't have had to suffer how you did. If only Young Jae and I had tried to convince your parents harder--"

I gave her hand a small squeeze in reassurance, "Ani Omma, this isn't your fault. Don't blame yourselves. Everything happens for a reason. I've had time to come to terms with it, and i'm over it now. Don't worry." I didn't particularly want to discuss this touchy topic but I had the feeling she had wanted to talk to me about this for a while. That and it probably served as a good distraction to her worrying over the whereabouts of Durami.

She let out a light chuckle that held no humour what so ever, "Jiyong, i've known you since you barely reached my hip. I know when you're lying, and no matter how many times you ask me to, I can never stop worrying over you. I've said it before an I'll say it again, you're like a son to me."

My face softened as I stared into her concerned eyes, "Dara is extremely lucky to have you as her mother. Thank you, your words mean a lot, but as long as I have Dara, everything will be okay."

"Don't forget, you too, are lucky to have your mother," she chastised lightly, "Although I don't agree with her reason for leaving you, I don't doubt that she thought what she was doing was with your best interests at heart. She may not have been there for you, but don't doubt how much she loved and cared for you."

"I know," I simply replied as I thought of my mother, it had been a while since I had visited her.

"Ah, I really miss my best friend," she said wistfully as she turned away from me to continue cooking.

"Haven't you seen her?" I asked in surprise.

She shook her head as she expertly sliced the meat, "Ani, not since you all left to Japan."

"Do you.. do you want to see her?" I asked carefully, not sure whether I should.

"Of course!" she turned to me excitedly.

"Do.. Do you want me to bring her here?" I asked cautiously, not sure whether I was being rude as to invite her over.

Her eyes rounded excitedly as she rapidly nodded her head like a child, "She.. She's here in Korea?! Yes! Oh would you? It's been so long!"

"Go now! Go! Go bring her here!" she ushered me out of the kitchen into the corridor before unceremoniously pushing me out of the door before slamming it behind me, "Aigoo! I need to prepare even more! Her favourite dish! I'll make her favourite dish!"

My lips curved into a small smile as I listened to her mumble to herself excitedly before I looked down to see that in her haste to get me out the door I still had one of her pink frilly aprons on. I rolled my eyes as I made my way towards the car, my lips still stretched in a light smile.

 

========

 

I blinked at the man in front of me, my hand still clutching onto his wallet. What was he doing here?

"That was taken a couple months before we moved in next door," he simply said as he reached over and took his wallet back from me.

I watched as he smiled affectionately at the photo, his thumb gently the photo as if this action was something he did often.

"He was a cheeky little boy you know?" he continued, still looking down at the photo, his eyes taking on a far away look before they flickered up to meet mine, "I guess you knew that though."

I robotically nodded, not really knowing what to say or do. The last time I had seen Jiyong's Appa was when I had overheard him talking about marrying Jiyong off to Kiko. He wasn't exactly high up in the list of people I liked right now.

I breathed in deeply before placing a stony expression on my face, "What are you doing here Mr Kwon?"

He chuckled lightly as he closed his wallet and slipped it into his back pocket, "Mr Kwon? What happened to Samchon?"

I crossed my arms over my chest as I looked at him expectantly, not bothering to answer his question.

He sighed and ran his hand through his hair tiredly, "I was planning on maybe visiting your parents."

"Why?"

"Look, do you think we could sit down and talk?" he asked, gesturing towards some seats and a table.

"I'm in a hurry, let's just talk like this," I stated as the reason as to why I was here in the first place crossed my mind. Durami.

"Please? It won't be for long,"

I bit my lip and looked across the street to the restaurant where Durami supposedly was. I wanted to make sure she was okay, I mean she was still young and she was alone with a boy, anything could happen. I also didn't know whether I wanted to be having a casual catch up with Jiyong's father without him here. It felt like I was betraying him in some way.

"Durami's really grown up over the years hash't she?" his voice cut through my thoughts, "I remember when she used to crawl around and garble nonsensically. It's weird to see her so grown up now. It makes me wonder exactly how much i've missed."

Somehow I felt his words weren't about Durami but about Jiyong. He sounded.. wistful.. and almost regretful?

With a heavy sigh I conceded to his wishes, nodding my head in confirmation before walking ahead and taking a seat at a table. Hopefully Durami would be alright for a little longer, after all Jiyong's Appa had seen her so I assume she was safe for now.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked the moment he sat down.

"Do you want a drink?" he asked me instead, as he scanned the menu.

"Please cut to the chase Mr Kwon. I can't talk for long. I have to get my sister and go home," I said formally as if I didn't know the man in front of me who used to push me on the swings when I was a child.

"It's strange to hear you call me Mr Kwon, but I guess I lost the right to be called Samchon hmm?" he asked, but it was a rhetorical question.

I stayed silent, unmoving, as I waited for him to finally say what he wanted to say.

He sighed, realising I wasn't going to engage him in casual chitchat. He leaned forward, his hands clasped together ontop of the table as he looked at me intently.

"I need your help Dara."

I tilted my head slightly in confusion as I stared into his pleading eyes. Help? From me? Exactly how could I help him?

"Help? What could I possibly help you wi--" I paused, my eyes widening in realisation. He wasn't.. No.. he wasn't possibly going to ask me to.. He wouldn't stoop this low.. right?

"No. I won't do it," I said strongly, as I sat up straighter in my chair, my eyes narrowing.

"Please Dara, you're the only one who can convince Jiyong--"

"How selfish can you be?" I cut him off angrily, "Haven't you hurt him enough? Do you know what he's been through?"

"Of course you don't because were you ever really there for him?" I laughed humourlessly, "You even have the cheek to come here and ask me for help? Is that why you came here? To even ask help from my parents? Your supposed friends who you haven't once contacted since you left for Japan?"

"You know, I never thought of myself as a selfish person, but I guess love can turn even the most selfless of people into the most selfish being, and that's exactly what i'm going to be. Selfish." I declared, "For my sake and for Jiyong's sake. I love him, and i'm not going to stand here and let you take him away from me."

I inhaled and exhaled heavily after my short rant. Somewhere in the back of my conscious I was kicking myself for being so rude and openly berating someone who was so much older than myself, as well as someone who I once treated with respect but I had to get this out of my system. After my talk with CL, she had brought me to my senses and I wasn't going to back down without a fight. Jiyong was mine and I would be damned if I would let someone take him away from me. Even if it was his own father.

I grabbed my bag and made a move to stand up, ready to leave, when his voice caused me to pause.

"What makes you think i'm trying to take Jiyong away from you?" he asked softly, his voice coloured with slight hurt, but I wasn't going to be fooled.

"You're telling me you aren't trying to get me to break up Jiyong? You're telling me you don't want Jiyong to marry Kiko so that your business can thrive once again?" I scoffed, my arms folding over my chests as I saw his eyes widened in surprise, guilt flickering obviously in them, "I thought not."

"So you heard huh?" he simply asked, despite the fact that it was obvious that I had overheard his conversation.

"If that's everything, I think i've made myself quite clear. I'll be going," I once again made a move to stand up when his voice stopped me.

"Wait. Please Dara, you've misunderstood."

"I don't understand how what I overheard could be construed in any other way," I replied coldly.

He sighed before running his hands through his thinning hair, "You're right. Everything you heard, was exactly how it was."

I stood up, the chair scraping loudly.

"But you've misunderstood. I never wanted to separate you and Jiyong. Yes, my original intention in coming here with Kiko was because I hoped that maybe Jiyong would form a natural relationship with her. It was selfish and stupid but I couldn't think of any other way," he started tiredly, "When I saw you and Jiyong together at the function, I was overjoyed. It was exactly how we had imagined it. At that moment any thoughts I had about Jiyong and Kiko went away completely."

"You can choose not to believe me Dara, but it's the truth," he said honestly after taking note of my skeptical face.

"I.. I was just getting desperate okay? I was slowly losing everything. First my wife.. then my son.. my daughter too... and now my business, everything was slowly slipping through my fingers and I couldn't do anything. I felt so helpless. I thought.. I thought if Jiyong and Kiko did marry, not only would business be good again but I would.. I would get my son back," he whispered desperately.

I slowly sat back down as I listened to his words, the words of a broken man. There was no doubt that the emotion in his voice was real.

"I just don't know where it all started to go wrong. Everything was perfect. I had everything. A beautiful wife and beautiful children to come home to from an enterprise I had nurtured from the start.. then it all gradually fell apart, where did I go wrong?" he whispered quietly to himself, almost as if I wasn't there.

I tried to keep the cold mask on my face, but staring at the aged man fall apart in front of me, I couldn't help but pity him.

"When you put something immaterial before those who were right beside you and loved you," I replied softly to him, "I'm sorry to say this but you have no one to blame but yourself. It was you who drove everyone away, and now you're finally realising the consequences of your actions."

"Yes, I guess I must live with the poor decisions I have made," he agreed sombrely.

My eyes softened as I saw him put a smile on his face, a complete contrast to what his eyes were telling me.

"Thank you for taking the time to talk to me Dara. I know it must've been hard and I have put you in quite a predicament with Jiyong if he ever found out," he said gratefully, "I know I don't have the right to say this, but I am really proud of how well you've grown up. So wise and mature."

"What did you need help with?" I blurted out as I saw him rise from his seat. I don't know what possessed me, maybe it was the look in his eyes, or maybe it was the emotion in his voice,  but I couldn't stop myself.

He looked down at me in surprise before he shook his head sadly, "Nothing, it was a long shot anyway."

"No. Tell me," I insisted firmly. The rational side of me told me to back down, find Durami, go home and pretend nothing happened. It told me not to meddle in something I knew Jiyong would flip out over. Even CL warned me not to meddle, but I couldn't help myself. His Appa had already assured me that Jiyong would not be taken from me. Wasn't this what I was mostly afraid of? Now that I knew I wasn't losing Jiyong, maybe this was the alternative answer that CL was talking about. Maybe I could keep Jiyong beside me and repair his bond with his father.

 

========

 

After some discussion I parted ways with Jiyong's Appa, my mind a jumbled mess, unsure whether the spur of the moment decision I had made was right.

He said he wanted to try to get back on good terms with Jiyong. That was already a feat on its own, but he was hoping I could convince him to come to work with him, that way they could try to get closer.

Of course his reasoning immediately made me skeptical. Did he really want to repair his relationship with his son or was he just using him to restore his business to what it once was?

I didn't quite understand how Jiyong would be able to help turn things around for Kwon Enterprises. I mean, he was only in the first year of studying business and he obviously loathed the subject with a passion, most likely due to his father. I highly doubt he could have a huge effect, despite the fact that I knew if he wanted, Jiyong could be the business man he was originally destined to be. It ran in his blood.

His Appa had told me that the main reason the business was failing was because of doubts and rumours of the future of the enterprise. Shareholders were pulling out as they didn't see a future in the business - because the supposed heir, Jiyong, was never around. There were worries that it would soon fail and so shareholders were cashing out early in fear of losing their investment, which lead to no one wanting to invest in them.

"Unnie?!"

I turned my head at the sound of my younger sister's voice which made me realise the reason as to why I had bumped into Jiyong's Appa in the first place.

"Yah! Where have you been?" I scolded as my eyes shifted from her to the boy standing beside her. He looked like the typical bad boy. Did I mention that he was standing way too close to her.

"Err.. Erm.." she stuttered as she looked around helplessly, guilt already heavy in her eyes.

"Annyeonghaseyo, I'm Kim Hanbin, please to meet you," the boy beside her greeted me politely with a 90 degree bow, "Durami has been assigned as my tutor today by the teacher,  we were just having our first lesson. I'm sorry if I have taken up too much of her time."

My eyes narrowed in suspicious as I looked over to see Durami nodding vigorously in agreement.

"Reaaaaaaally now?" I asked unconvinced, "You had your first lesson in a restaurant? What were you learning about huh? How to order food? How to eat?"

He blinked at me, bringing his hand up to scratch the nape of his neck in nervousness. Psh, did he really think I believed him?

"Yah, Durami let's go. Omma is worried sick! You should have informed her of your whereabouts," I scolded, "Now say goodbye to your 'tutee'" I exaggerated, even using my fingers to form quotation marks in the air to show how I didn't believe a word the boy had said.

"Am I in trouble?" Durami asked worriedly as we walked back home togehter.

"Big trouble," I confirmed seriously before breaking out into a grin and giving her a nudge, "Just kidding, but you realy should've told Omma, or at least Sanghyun your whereabouts. You know how much of a worry wart Omma is."

"I'm sorry, I just knew that if I told Omma, she wouldn't let me go," she pouted as she looked at me with puppy-dog eyes.

"I wouldn't have let you go either! You're too young to be dating, concentrate on your studies for now okay?" I told her wisely. I never really gave much thought into talking to Durami about boys and what not. It wasn't really our thing to talk about these kind of things. I mean, she was my baby sister, she wasn't supposed to be dating!

"That's unfair.. You're dating Jiyong," she protested weakly.

I gave her a look, "That doesn't give you a free pass for you to be out with boys all the time. You don't know what's on their minds, especially at this age."

"I don't go all the time!" she refuted, "This was the first one.. I just wanted to know what it was like."

"Why the sudden curiosity? I remember you always telling me you thought boys had cooties," I chuckled at the countless memories.

"Unnie! That was when I was like five!" she exclaimed before shrugging and looking down, "I don't know. I guess seeing you and Jiyong Oppa together and being so happy.. I just want what you two have."

I softened at her words a small smile on my face as I reached out and ruffled her hair despite her strong protests, "Talking about Jiyong, i'm going to give him a call so he can tell Omma that i've found you."

"Dara!"

I frowned as I took the phone away from my ear and looked at the screen. I definitely called Jiyong.. so who was this?

"H-hello? Who is this? Where's Jiyong?" I asked cautiously. Why the hell was a woman answering his phone?

The woman giggled over the phone, causing my frown to deepen.

"It's Jiyong's Omma Dara, Jiyong's driving at the moment," she explained.

Although I was now aware of who I was speaking to, it didn't make me any less confused as to why she was with Jiyong.. the last time I saw Jiyong he was cooking with my mother. Did he ditch?

"Oh, annyeong Imo," I greeted back, "Are you and Jiyong heading somewhere?"

"Yes, we're heading over to your house now! I can't wait to see everyone again!" she said excitedly.

"M-my house?" I repeated in surprise.

"Yes! In fact we're just a couple streets away! See you soon!"

I blinked as I looked down at my phone to see she had hung up on me, her words slowly sinking in.

"."

 

========

 

"U-unnie! W-why are we running?!" Durami gasped as she finally caught up to me, since I had ran off on her without prior warning.

"L-later" I panted as I pushed myself even further. 'Damn it. Stupid Dara! Supid! I need to get back before they do!' I mentally chastised myself.

That decision I was telling you about earlier? The one I wasn't sure was the right one to make? Well right now I knew it was definitely not the right decision to make. Surely, i'll get there in time right? There's no way that..

"What the are you doing here?"

My eyes widened as I saw the completed Kwon family before me, standing on my porch. Together. For the first time in years.

That's right, I had made the stupidly rash decision to invite Jiyong's Appa over tonight in hopes that my parents presence would force Jiyong not to throw a fit and storm out. Yes, it was a stupid, reckless, idea.

I am officially the dumbest person in the world.


Author's Note:

Annyeong yeoruben!

Happy Birthday to the baddest Gizibe, Lee Chaerin! Have you guys heard 2NE1's new album 'CRUSH' yet? No? DO IT NOW! It's.. flawless.. seriously. So proud of our girls! CL's producing skills are no joke! Dara's voice sounds amazing here... Minzy's voice.. oh my, so mature! Bommie's voice as beautiful as always! These songs really bring out their vocal potential! *fangirling*

Okay, so I wasn't sure whether I was going to let Dara tell Jiyong or not.. Originally I planned for her to tell him, but I kind of wanted her to be strong enough on her own and protect Jiyong herself instead of relying on him. However, as you guys can see, her soft, kind heart eventually won out! So, i'm sure lots of you guys are happy to see Kiko out of the story right? Keke, hope you enjoy the chapter! ^^

~Water Phoenix