Chapter 2

Eyes, the window to the soul
Dara's POV
 
~ 2 weeks later ~
 
"Ddoongie, tidy up all your crap in the living room!" I shouted up the stairs.
 
Omma and Appa were coming home today, so I was organising a quick spring clean. I didn't want them to come home to a tip site.
 
"Noona! My precious games are NOT crap!" Ddoongie whined as he cradled his games in his hands like they were his babies.
 
I ignored him as I walked past him into the kitchen, where Durami was busy placing her baked cookies onto a plate ready for their arrival. "Smells good!" I said encouragingly as I gave her two thumbs up.
 
I went into the living room again to check to see if everything was nice and neat when...
 
/the sound of keys in the door/
 
I guess I wasn't the only one who heard it, as we all rushed out into the hallway, Durami even still had her apron and oven mitts on.
 
The door swung open to reveal our beaming parents. We lunged at each other, embracing each other in an awkward but warm family hug, our parents luggage forgotten on the doorstep.
 
We eventually pulled away when, "So can I have my presents now?" Sanghyun asked cheekily, as he grabbed both of the suitcases and hauled them into the living room.
 
Huh... Since when did he have muscles? Eh, he's still a little squirt to me anyway! Durami brought her cookies out into the living room, no longer wearing her cooking outfit. Our parents sat on the sofa, whilst the three of us sat cross legged in font of them, their opened suitcases seperating us.
 
I can't tell you how many times we had occupied these exact positions everytime our parents came back from a business trip with presents and souvenirs for us. They began to hand out our wrapped presents one by one.
 
Sanghyun had received a range of games much to his delight, and of course the cap he requested. I somehow get the feeling he won't be wearing that cap at all, by the way he looked at it in his hands, grimacing at what I guess was the memory of Appa trying to wear it in a hip way. I giggled when the image flashed in my memory.
 
Durami received some fashionable clothes, which she had bought from new Camden, much to Durami's delight as she fawned over the different brands.
 
It was now my turn. I looked at my parents expectantly as they handed me my gift. I eagerly opened my present only to be confused. There laid on my lap was a water bottle with a unopened letter ontop. I glanced up at my parents in curiosity, as they gave me encouraging looks, if I didn't know any better Omma looked kind of tearful.
 
I opened the envelope slowly, taking out the letter and unfolding it. I read the first couple of lines before snapping my head up in shock.
 
"Dara, it's time you lived for yourself. Omma and Appa know how much you've sacrificed, and we appreciate it, but what kind of parents would we be if we didn't let you live your life foryourself?" Omma said tearfully.
 
"Omma, Appa seriously it's fine, I'm not sacrificing anything..." I trailed off.
 
"Ani, you've sacrificed enough of your youth. We said we had come back for Durami's recitals but that's not the only reason. We're back for good now. We've put your Uncle Hyun Suk in charge, whilst we semi-retire. Of course we'll still work but we won't be going overseas anymore, well unless we go on a family holiday of course!" Appa said, cheerfully.
 
I can't believe it... They're back.. For good? We're going to be a whole family!! I could practically hear Durami and Sanghyun smiling widely, vibrating in their sitting positions in happiness.
 
"Omma, Appa, I'm really happy don't get me wrong but what does this have to do with this?" I said holding up the letter.
 
"Now that we're semi-retired and back for good, you don't need to sacrifice your life any more. We want you to go to university like all the other students, we want you to experience university life fully, not half way" Omma explained.
 
"This is an important time of your life Dara, who knows, you may even find the love of your life!" Omma continues, clapping her hands gleefully as her eyes glazed over at the prospect of me and a boy. No thankyou!
 
I can't believe this... I...
 
"Before you object Dara, we're telling you now that we're adamant you are going to live in halls, that's why.. We're kicking you out, whether you like it or not!" Appa said triumphantly, smiling as if he had just told me he'd brought me a unicorn, when in fact he'd just kicked me out of my own home. I sat there gobsmacked.
 
I swear I sat there for five minutes straight, unmoving, until Durami nudged me, waving her hand in front of my face, trying to get a reaction from me. I blinked. Once. Twice. Thne lunged at my parents in a big bear hug. 
 
"Jeongmal Saranghae Omma, Appa! Thankyou for kicking me out!" I said tearfully, squeezing them tighter. They softly laughed at me, Omma my hair as Appa tapped me lovingly on the back.
 
I pulled away and wiped at my eyes, collecting myself, when a thought occurred to me.
 
"How am I going to get a room? Moving in day is tomorrow! They won't have any rooms left!" I exclaimed as I began to panic.
 
Omma and Appa merely laughed at me. Aish! Can't they see that they've kicked me out but I can't even move out now?!
 
"Calm down honey, we've got it all ready for you. You'll be moving in with Chaerin, in one of the university apartment blocks" Omma exclaimed.
 
I gasped, WAAAHT?! Chaerin! That little scheming.... She knew all along! But it was only two weeks ago she was whining about me not going!
 
"How long have you guys been planning this?! Has CL known all this time?!" I exclaimed, shocked with all this information overload.
 
"Hmm... About 3 months now? And yes, Chaerin knew, of course she did, so she could fill in your papers so you two could share a room!" Omma explained.
 
"Did you two know too?!" I shouted, jumping up and pointing at my two younger siblings, who smiled cheekily at me whilst giving me the peace sign.
 
Le gasp! They all knew!!! They all knew and didn't tell me! How mean! I was kept in the dark! But.. I can't help but be filled with love and happiness for my family and bestfriend, going through all of this to surprise me. 
 
"Thankyou so much... I love my family this much!" I proclaimed, stretching my arms out as wide as possible like a kid, garnering giggles and laughs from my family.
 
"Okay, one last question... What's the water bottle about?" I asked as I held up the soft bottle.
 
"Ah, well we know how much you hate being cold, so we thought it'd be useful when you move out" Appa eaplined, I hugged the empty bottle close to me, deeply touched. "You can always hug it and think of us if you miss us..." Omma added sadly.

"Omma! Don't be like that! I'll be home often!" I said as I gave her a tight hug again.

 
"Arasso, I'm hungry from all this excitement lets go out to eat to celebrate Neh?" Appa said as we all cheered.
 
==Later that night==
 
I was currently sat in the middle of my room with two large suitcases and everything sprawled out across the whole of my room. You could not longer see the soft blue carpet that was my floor.
 
Ergh! I hate packing! Moving day was tomorrow, and since I'd only found out today, I only have tonight to pack. Of course I could come back for stuff, but right now I had nothing better to do anyway.
 
I sighed deeply, glancing distastefully at my mountain of clothes. Best get on with it... I began folding all my clothes and placing them in my suitcase robotically when...
 
/Naega chae chala ga.../
 
I scrambled up from my sitting positio. On the floor and started throwing the clothes on my bed, flinging them across the room in an attempt to find my phone. Got it!
 
"LEE CHAERIN! I can not believe you hid this from me! You horrible, evil, scheming, I could strangle you, beautiful, loving, caring bestfriend!" I cooed through the phone.
 
"Wow.. Bipolar much?" came her reply.
 
I retook my seat in between my clothes and suitcase, putting my bestfriend on speaker as I continued to pack.
 
"So have you finished packing yet?" I questioned.
 
"Pretty much, just got bits and bobs left over, but I'll get oppa to bring them over later"
 
"Yeesh, so lucky to have an older brother!" I whined.
 
"Pfft, have him if you want! Anyway, have you finished?"
 
"Nope! In the process right now, if someone had told me earlier, like two weeks in advance maybe I'd be done by now..." I said hinting at her.
 
I swear I could literally hear her eyes roll, that's just gross... "Then it wouldn't be a surprise would it?" came her reply.
 
"Yeah, well you know I don't like surprises much, but I guess I'll let it slide just this once! Anyway, what does our apartment look like?!" I questioned giddily, as I envisioned our apartment.
 
"It's amazing Ssantoki! Like seriously! The views beautiful! Well, from one side of the apartment anyway." came her enthusiastic reply.
 
"Eh? Why only one side?" I asked confused, as I closed my first suitcase, sitting on it to squish it down enough for me to zip it closed.
 
"Well the university has two apartment buildings for each year. One for females and one for males, and they're directly next to each other. It's the only downside really, you can pretty much see into the opposite apartment!!" she exclaimed in horror.
 
"That's horrible! What an invasion I privacy! We'll need to get blinds that we can permanently close!" I said as i shuddered at the thought of a creepy first year male peering into our living room and watching me.
 
"Definitely! Anyway Ssantoki! I'll leave you to it, oppa is whining and whinging for me to spend time with him before I move out. See you tomorrow!"
 
I giggled at CL complaining about her brother. "Arasso! See you tomorrow! Goodbam CL-roo!" I hung up the phone and threw it back onto the bed.
 
One more suitcase and then I can sleep... Then tomorrow... I'll be moving into my own apartment with CL-roo! Eeeek! *squeal*

Author's Note:

Annyeong Yeoruben, I know... it's a bit boring right and slow now neh? Hopefully if all goes to plan the story will pick up it's pace in a few chapters time ^^
~Water Phoenix