Chapter 49

Eyes, the window to the soul

Dara's POV

"What made you change your mind?" I turned to look at Jiyong as we waited at a traffic light.

"No particular reason."

"You were really adamant about not going earlier, so why the sudden change of heart? There must be a reason..." I squinted my eyes at him suspiciously, "If you really don't want to go then I don't want to make you. You'll just moan and whine throughout the whole function."

"I'm already dressed up, I might as well go," he turned to look at me briefly, a smirk on his face, "Besides, can't be allowing my girl out looking like that without me. I need to mark my territory."

I blushed, biting my lip as I looked out of the window, "I didn't know you were so posessive."

"Oh, I get extremely possessive over what's mine."

========

"You're going to stay with me right?" I asked nervously as Jiyong helped me out of the car, "I'm scared of tripping over these heels."

"Of course, it's not like i'm going to let you wander off on your own," Jiyong grabbed my hand, looping it with his arm, "Don't worry, I won't let you fall."

He leaned down, his lips brushing softly against my ear, "Unless it's to make you fall for me all over again."

I blushed as Jiyong straightened up with a smirk before he turned towards the entrance of the function. I watched as his eyes flickered, the smirk dropping slightly from his face, his jaw clenching.

"Ji? Are you okay?" I asked in concern.

He looked down at me and gave me a tight smile, "I'm fine. Lets go."

I frowned as I continued to watch him as he lead us into the entrance of the function. Noticing my stare he glanced down at me then gave me a reassuring smile, "Seriously, I'm fine. As long as you're with me, i'll be fine."

I nodded slowly, before turning to the front, my eyes widening as I looked at the masses of people in suits and dresses. All worried thoughts of Jiyong shoved to the back of my mind.

"Don't be scared, i'm here," Jiyong reassured as he squeezed my hand before leading us into the hall.

"Dara-ah-- Jiyong?"

I turned, a smile lighting up my face as I let go off Jiyong's hand, throwing my arms around my favourite uncle - Hyun Suk.

"You're looking beatuiful Dara," he complimented as he returned the hug, before pulling away to beam down at me. 

"I wasn't aware that you were coming Jiyong, Young Jae told me it would just be Dara," he said to Jiyong, his eyes flickering with the same concern that was in Appa's eyes earlier, "Are you going to be alright? There are some Japa--"

"Thank you Samchon, but i'll be fine," Jiyong gave him a tight smile as he pulled me into his side, wrapping his arm around my waist, "I'm just here to support Dara. That's all."

Hyun Suk nodded in understanding, "I see. Well you guys don't have to stay for too long. Just mingle a little, get to know a few people within the business. Get a little taster of business life."

"Hyun Suk!"

Hyun Suk turned to us with a small smile, "Someone's calling me, i'll see you later okay?" With that he his heel and walked up to the stout man who had called for him.

I eyed Jiyong suspiciously. There was definitely something he was hiding from me.

"Come on, lets go mingle," Jiyong said as he gave me an innocent smile before dragging me along with him.

========

"Wow, Dara-ah, you've grown up to be a beautiful woman. You really take after your Omma," one of the board of directors, complimented me before turning his head around "Jonghyun, come over here a second!"

"You know, I have a son whose just a year older than you. I think you guys would really--"

"Jagiya..." Jiyong cooed loudly, returning from his trip to the toilets, as he wrapped his arms around my waist from the back, interrupting his words.

I blushed as I felt the questioning gaze of the director. I tried to unwrap Jiyong's arm from around my waist as I laughed nervously, "Ehehe..."

"Jiyong! What the hell are you doing!? Let go!" I hissed under my breath as I gave the director an awkward smile.

"Jagiya... I was thinking Summer would be the bext time for our wedding," Jiyong continued loudly.

"WEDDING?!" I blurted out in shock and confusion, "What the hell are you talking about Jiyong?!"

"It's okay Jagiya, no need to hide it or be embarrassed," he teased as he pecked me on the cheek, uncaring of the audience we were getting from the board of director, his wife and now his son who were all gawking at Jiyong's open public display of affection.

The board of director coughed awkwardly as he diverted his eyes, "I see you are erm... currently engaged. I will talk to you another time Ms Park," he flickered his eyes to Jiyong briefly, "and congratulations." With that he lead his wife and son away.

"Don't count on it.." Jiyong muttered as he glared at the directors son who was giving us odd glances.

I turned around in annoyance pushing against his chest, "What the hell was that about?!"

Jiyong shrugged as he pulled me closer to him again, "What? He was trying to set you up with his son." He pouted as he leaned down to my angry face, "You're mine!"

"I was going to tell him! You didn't have to do that! You may as well have just pissed all over me to mark your territory!" I glared at him angrily.

"Well if you really--"

"Jiyong!"

"Okay okay, I was just joking! I'm sorry okay?" he apologised, his bottom lip jutting out further.

"Oh gosh.. now he thinks i'm getting married!" I whined as I tried to divert my eyes away from his pouting lips.

"So? You're going to get maried to me eventually anyway," he replied cheekily before placing a soft kiss on my lips.

I pushed him away again as I tried to stay angry at him, "Tch! Who says i'm gong to marry you?!"

"Me."

"Maybe I don't want to."

"You have no choice."

"Hmph! You haven't even asked me!" I huffed as I turned away from him.

"Arasso, don't be angry anymore okay?" Jiyong conceeded as he turned my head to look at him again.

I tried to glare at him but couldn't help but roll my eyes instead, jealous Jiyong was just too cute, "Ergh! I can't stay mad at you! Look at that face!"

Jiyong smiled in satisfaction before leaning down to capture my lips in a sweet kiss, "Mine."

========

"So Jiyong-Oppa... I can call you Oppa right? Jiyong Oppa, how about a dance hmmm?"

I turn my back for one minute. ONE MINUTE and girls are all over Jiyong. I quickly excused myself from one of the managers I was talking to as I turned to glare at his daughter who was shamelessly draping herself across Jiyong.

"Erm..."

"Oppaaa," I whined as I clung to Jiyong's arm, shooting the girl a glare. Jiyong looked down at me in shock as he blinked at me a couple of times.

"N-neh?" he stuttered in confusion.

"Jiyong Oppa! Who's this ? Lets go dance!" the girl demanded as she clung onto the otherside of Jiyong, shooting me a murderous glare, which I returned with equal venom. ?! Who does she think she is?! Who is this ? Back of my man.

"Bitc--"

"Excuse me but would you get your hands off of me please?" Jiyong spat harshly as he untangled his arm from the girl as he stepped back, wrapping his arm around my wasit and pulling me closer to his side, "Lets make it clear, this beauty right here is no . You on the other hand..." he trailed off as he looked the girl up and down, "I don't think I can say the same for you."

The girl gasped, her cheeks flushing in embarrassment before she sent us both a glare, "How dare you talk to me like that? Don't you know who I am? I can get your asses fired! My Appa is a manager--"

"Oh really?" Jiyong cut in boredly, "I'd like to see him try and fire his own boss - the heir of Park Industries."

The girl's eyes widened as she opened then closed it repeatedly.

"You might want to stop pulling that face, you look like a fish," I commented, "Come on Ji, lets go."

"Look who's jealous now," Jiyong teased as he poked my cheek.

I slapped his hand away as I turned to look at him with my head held high, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oppaaa," Jiyong imitated me with a falsetto voice, before bursting out into laughter.

I blushed in embarassment as I glared up at him, "Tch! I did not sound like that! Why were you allowing her to touch you like that anyway?!"

"Don't try change the subject! It's not like I wanted her to touch me anyway, she had barely touched me and you jumped in like a ninja bodyguard!" he replied with amusement as he poked my red cheek.

"Hmph!" I huffed, as I turned away from him, not knowing what to say back.

"Aigoo, don't be angry hmm? So short-tempered..." he turned me around to face him, cupping my cheeks.

"How about a dance hmm?" he asked as he held his hand out towards me. I sighed, placing my hand in his as I allowed him to pull me towards the dance floor.

Jiyong grabbed my hands and placed them around his neck before placing his hands on my waist, pulling me closer to his body. I automatically laid my head on his strong chest as we slowly swayed to the music. I felt my annoyance dissappear from my body as I concentrated on the sound of his slightly raised heart beat. I felt so content when--

"So... Oppa huh?"

I pulled my head away to glare at him as he gave me a cheeky grin, "Don't say another word."

"I wish I had a voice recorder. Then I could listen to it forever," he continued ignoring my warning, "Why are you still not calling me Oppa?"

"Why do you want me to call you Oppa so badly?" I shot back.

He shrugged slightly, "I don't know. I guess it's like when you want what you can't have."

"Do you really want me to?" I asked.

"Not if you don't want to."

"I don't know... I just.. You mean so much more to me. Oppa... any girl could call you Oppa.." I explained.

Jiyong bobbed his head in understanding, "Fair point, but for the record, it sounds so much sweeter when you say it."

I smiled up at him before leaning my head back down on his chest.

"Hey Jiyong, can I cut in?"

I looked up to see Hyun Suk holding his hand out to me.

"Sure," Jiyong stepped out of the way, "I'll just grab us some drinks."

I smiled as I watched Jiyong walk towards the bar before turning back to Hyun Suk.

"I've not had a dance with my niece in awhile! I remember when you used to have to stand on my shoes and I would have to do all the work!" he reminisced.

"You know, you've got a good man there Dara. I don't think your parents could wish for a better man to take care of their beloved daughter. I know that if I was your Appa, I would be over the moon to have Jiyong as my son-in-law," he commented as he gave me a fatherly smile.

"I know."

Jiyong's POV

"Two glasses of red wine please," I asked the bartender as I took a seat on the barstool, before turning to watch Dara dance with her uncle. She looked absolutely beautiful tonight.

"Here you go sir,"

I took a small sip of the wine as I finally allowed myself to relax as I continued to watch Dara with a smile on my face. Maybe coming tonight wasn't such so bad. It's not like anyone recognised me anyway. I stood up, grabbing the two glasses and was about to make my way over to Dara when--

"Did you hear about Kwon Enterprises?"

I stiffened at the mention of the family business, my sense of hearing picking up. I wanted to walk away, it's not like I cared anyway, but I couldn't bring myself to leave. I was rooted to the spot.

"They aren't doing very well in their Japanese branch are they?"

"Yeah, I heard that the Japanses Government are going to get involved soon."

"Really? Wow, Jin-Sang must be under alot of pressure right now."

My grip tightened on the glass at the sound of his name.

"Poor bastard, he's got enough on his plate already and then his son goes AWOL. Just left him without a word. How irresponsible!"

"I know right? What a joke! In fact, word has it that he's here tonight! Daichi, the son of a Japanese company in partnership with Kwon Enterprise said he thought he saw someone that looked like him."

"No way! Do you really think he came back to Korea? If so, why hasn't Jin-Sang found him already?"

"Found him? HA! He probably knows he's here, probably doesn't want him back. I mean who would? Such an ungrateful son like that? I would want rid of him too!"

"That's true. I heard that when he was in Japan he never helped out or anything, just lived off of his dad's money! What a spoilt brat!"

"I always wondered why he never got any media coverage. Boy was probably out partying all night and sleeping around with girls."

"I wouldn't be surprised. Maybe it runs in the family? Hahahaha!"

My jaw clenched, my eyes turning into slits as I continued to listen to the two men. I felt anger boil up with in me. Who the are these people? Who are they to talk about me? To talk about my family like they knew? They knew nothing.

/smash/

The glass shattered as I balled up my fists, the wine splattering everywhere. I could feel the broken glass digging into my skin but I could care less. It was a bad idea to come. I had to get out of here. Now.

Dara's POV

"Hey Ji--"

I paused as I watched Jiyong storm past me and out of the hall, wine splattered over his once pristine shirt.

"." I turned to see Hyun Suk glaring over at the bar. I followed his eyes to see two business men laughing together.

"Dara, go after Jiyong. Go now." he commanded

"H-huh?"

He gave me a little shove towards the door before stalking over to the two men.

I blinked before I made a run for the entrance, hoping that Jiyong hadn't gone already. What was up with him? 

"Ji? Jiyong?!" I shouted as I ran outside, squinting in the dark to see if I could see him. I frowned when I came up empty. Maybe he's in the car park? I ran towards the car park, and breathed a sigh of relief as I saw him storming over to his car.

"JIYONG!" I shouted as I made my way over towards the car. I paused in my step as I met his angry eyes. He turned away from me as he got into the car, before turning on the ignition and driving off, leaving me stood in the middle of the car park confused.

========

"Come on, lets take you home."

I looked up from my seat on the cold pavement floor of the car park to see Youngbae looking down at me.

"Jiyong called." he explained when I gave him a questioning look.

I just sighed as I wrapped my arms back around my knees, my eyes trained on the spot where Jiyong had driven off.

"Come on noona, i'll take you ho--"

"Is Jiyong okay?" I cut in.

Youngbae sighed as he sat down next to me, "I don't know."

"I don't understand... he was fine before.. then all of a sudden... he just stormed off."

"I wish I could tell you noona, but I don't know myself. I'm sorry," he apologised.

"It's okay, you don't have to apologise," I gave hima weak smile, my mind still filled with thoughts of Jiyong and the look of anger in his eyes.

"Come on, lets go," Youngbae stood up as he grabbed my hands, pulling me up from the cold floor.

========

"Don't think about it too much noona. I'm sure he'll tell you when the time's right," Youngbae reassured as he pulled up in front of our apartments.

"Hmm..." I hummed absentmindedly, "Thanks Bae." I mechanically got out of the car and made my way up to the apartment.

"Hey Ssantoki! How was i-- Dara?"

I walked past CL as I made my way into my room. My shoulders deflated when I looked into the empty room opposite mine. He hadn't come back. Where was he?

"Dara? Is everything okay?" CL asked in concern as she turned me around.

"I don't know... Jiyong... there's something up with him."

"Something up? Like what? What did he do?" she asked.

"I don't know... he just... he just stormed off." I gave her a weak smile as I removed her hands from my shoulder, "I'm tired Chae, i'm going to sleep."

CL nodded slowly before reluctantly leaving the room, but not before she gave me one last worried look.

========

I had since changed out of my dress and was now leaning on the window pane, GD propped beside me as I stared into Jiyong's empty room, waiting for him to come back. I could feel my eyes begin to droop, but I quickly shook away the tiredness. I couldn't fall asleep. I had to stay awake, I had to make sure he was okay.

I sighed heavily as I leaned my head against the pane. Just what was wrong with him? Why wouldn't he tell me?

I lifted my head up as my eyes caught the small movement in his still darkened room. I squinted my eyes and could make out Jiyong stumbling slightly before he fell onto his bed, oblivious to my stares.

"Seungri, sorry if I woke you. Do me a favour and leave your door unlocked will you? I'm coming over." Before he could reply I hung up.

I slowly crept out of the room, wary of waking up CL as I made my way out of the apartment. Once out I rushed down the stairs, not bothering to wait for the elevator.

Before long I was stood outside of Jiyong's apartment. As instructed Seungri had left the door unlocked. I let myself in as I made my way towards Jiyong's room. I cautiously opened the door and peeked in to see Jiyong still lying on the bed in the same position as I saw him from my room.

Sighing I let myself in as I sat at the side of his bed. I could smell the strong stench of alcohol radiating off of him. The moonlight provided me with enough light to make out his dishevelled clothes. His tie had been loosened and was hanging crookedly around his neck, half of his shirt was untucked from his trousers and the top buttons had been ed.

I got up as I went to take his shoes and socks off, before making my way back up. My eyes softened as I his cheek softly, my brows furrowing to mirror his frown. What was is that had made you drink like this?

I sighed as I completely loosened his tie and ed the rest of his shirt, slowly taking it off of him before tossing it on the floor. I began to take off his belt and trousers when I felt his hand over mine. I blinked as I looked up to see him staring at me heatedly.

"What are you doing?" he asked hoarsely.

"You'll be uncomfortable if you sleep in your clothes," I answered, wondering if he was even coherent or not.

"What are you doing here?" he asked as he stopped my hands from moving again.

"I'm worried about you." I said honestly.

I heard him scoff as he leaned his head back down on the pillow, "Well that's a first."

"You don't think I worry about you?" I asked in disbelief.

"No, I don't doubt you. I mean it's a first. A first that anyone has ever worried about me," he whispered. My heart clenched slightly at the underlying pain in his voice.

I gulped back the lump that had formed in my throat, not knowing how to respond. Instead I diverted my eyes back down to my hands that were on his belt. My eyes widened as I looked at his hand that was a top mine.

"Ji! You're bleeding! You're hurt!" I gingerly picked up his hand as I looked at it, there were small shards of glass poking out of his palm.

"Really?" he said as if he really didn't know.

"Doesn't it hurt?" I asked incredulously as I scanned around the room for a first aid kid.

"Hurt? Where? Here?" I turned to see him pointing at his chest area.

"Yeah, it hurts." he muttered as he closed his eyes.

I gently placed his hand down as I made my way out of the room in search for a first aid kit. I grabbed it from the draw in the kitchen before rushing back into the room, turning his desk light on.

Jiyong whimpered slightly at the bright light, as he tried to cover his eyes with his arm. I quickly grabbed his hand, placing it on my lap as I grabbed the tweezers and began to carefully pull the shards of glass out.

"Ow..." Jiyong whined as he tried to pull his hand away.

"Shh, it's almost done," I cooed as I kept his hand still. Once I was sure all the glass had been removed I grabbed the medicinal alcohol and cotton wool, before gently dabbing it on his cuts. I felt his hand tense slightly in pain before relaxing again. I then grabbed the gauze and began to gently wrap it around his hand before tying it at the end.

"There you go, all done," I placed his bandaged hand on his chest before standing up, my hands moving towards his belt again. This time Jiyong didn't try to stop me as I removed his belt and trousers, throwing them somewhere near his shirt.

I grabbed the blanket and covered him up, tucking him in. I gently his cheek again before leaning down to place a soft kiss on his lips. I was about to pull back when I felt Jiyong grab my waist and pull me down ontop of me, his lips crushing against mine as he kissed me hurriedly. I could feel the desperation and need in his kiss as he tightened his hold around my waist. I immediately returned his kiss, hoping to assure him that I was here for him, and whatever it was he was going through.

Need for air caused me to pull away. Jiyong tried to reach up again when I covered his lips with my hand, stopping him.

"Jiyong, what's wrong? Please tell me," I begged as I searched his eyes desperately, moving my hand away from his mouth to his cheek lovingly.

He diverted his eyes as he rolled over so I was on my side, before pulling me closer, nuzzling his face into my neck.

"Jiyong?"

"Please don't... just... just be here for me." he whispered, his lips brushing against my lips.

My eyes softened at the underlying pain and desperation in his voice, as I wrapped my arms around him, "Okay Ji. I'm here. I'll always be here."

He pulled back to look at me intensely, his eyes expressing so many emotions. He looked like a sad, lost little boy and I could see the overwhelming pain in his eyes. "Never leave me, promise to never leave me," he begged.

"I promise Ji. I love you. I'll never leave you," I reassured him.

"Home... my home..." he murmured against my lips before I felt his body relax as sleep took over him.

I pulled away as I scanned his face. Just what happened to you Jiyong? Why do I feel like you've been through so much pain that I don't know of? I sighed heavily, as I brought his head down to rest against my chest.

"I'll never leave you Jiyong..."


Author's Note:

Annyeong Yeoruben! Small hints on Jiyong's past here... I'm a bit tired so this didn't turn out quite the way I wanted... Just Daragon in this chapter! Can anyone guess what happened to Jiyong? I'm curious as to what you guys might be thinking of... By the way AWOL means 'Absence without leave' but basically just means 'missing' kind of thing... Anyway, Enjoyy! ^^
~Water Phoenix