Chapter 14

Eyes, the window to the soul
Dara's POV

/Wow Fantastic Baby... Dance.../

I fumbled around the bed for my phone, but came up empty. Where the hell is it?! Ergh, I sat up sleepily squinting. I lifted up my pillow but to my frustration it wasn't there either. I reluctantly lifted the blanket off of me, exposing me to the cold morning air, making me more awake. 'Whatever, I'll find it later.' I thought, then dragged myself out of bed and made my way to the bathroom groggily, yawning as I went.

After freshening up, I began to recall last nights event. I cringed as another image of Jiyong's hurt eyes flashed in my mind. I seriously need to get on with the mission, or this guilt will continue to consume me forever.

OH! I thought, my eyes rounding as a smile grew on my face. I'd forgotten I'd already put step 1 into action. I ran toward the window and almost ripped the curtains off of the rails in anticipation. My smile immediately fell when I saw that his curtains were still drawn. My shoulders slumped as I sighed heavily. 'Don't think negatively Dara! Maybe he isn't awake yet!', my conscience spoke, causing me to perk up again and decided to put step 2 into action: Present Jiyong with morning coffee as a peace giving.

I threw on my jacket and grabbed my bag before leaving the apartment and heading towards the local coffee shop. When I arrived I immediately went to make my order.

"Ah! Coffee Americano and a Caramel Macchiato?" the barista said, his eyes flickering in recognition, I blinked in surprise then nodded.

"Oh wait! Could you add another Caramel Macchiato to that order please?" I said, remembering step 2 of the mission.

"Coming right up!" he replied cheerfully.

"Coffee Americano and 2 Caramel Macchiato's!" another barista called. I quickly grabbed the drink tray and made my way towards the door not forgetting to thank the barista.

I was now back at the apartment fumbling with my keys in one hand and the coffees in my other hand, when the door opened.

"Morning, Ssantoki" CL greeted, her eyes immediately zoning in on the coffee tray, her eyes flickered in confusion.

"Wow, you must've gotten home late last night... two coffees?" she enquired, her eyes still fixed on the coffee tray. I walked past her and quickly placed the drinks on the kitchen table.

"Here," I said whilst passing her her drink, "They aren't both for me.. although yeah Seunghyun Oppa did bring me back quite late, at like half one..." I said, as I began to edge towards my bedroom door. 'I wonder if he's seen it yet?' I thought.

"Oh, what did you guys talk about?" CL didn't bother to hide the curiosity in her voice.

"Erm... could I get back to you on that, just one... second..." I said as I pegged in to my room, my hopes high, leaving a more than confused CL.

I burst through my room and my eyes immediately fell on the window. My shoulders slumped in disappointment, he still hadn't drawn his curtains. This time I knew he was avoiding me. I knew he would be awake by now, since classes started in half an hour.

'Don't be so easily put down Dara, fight on with Step 2!' my conscience spoke. "That's right! I can't be all depressed after falling on the first hurdle! So what if step 1 failed? There was still step 2!" I spoke encouragingly to myself, "Hwaiting!" I cheered pumping my fist. I turned around to leave the room when I saw a wide-eyed CL. Aw man! She just witnessed me talking to myself!

"I.. think you've finally lost it Ssantoki, just what exactly did TOP Oppa say to you?" she said slowly, as if talking to a small child. I rolled my eyes at her condesending voice.

"I'm fine! Look, we'll be late if we just stand here, I'll explain on the way down." I grabbed CL's elbow and dragged her along with me, not forgetting to grab the two coffees siting on the kitchen table.

We were now making our way to the university when CL decided to speak up, "Soooooo, crazy bunny, care to explain now?"

"Okay. So." I started, whilst CL looked at me expectantly. What the hell was I supposed to say?! Seunghyun Oppa told me not to breathe a word to Jiyong, and I'm pretty sure that extended to him not wanting me to say anything to anyone. "Erm..." I tried again. CL nodded her head encouragingly.

"Basically, I've decided maybe Jerkf-- *ahem* Jiyong isn't the I thought he was, and now I'm on a mission to make things right, and I'm about to put step 2 in action," I said lifting up Jiyong's coffee, hoping she wouldn't ask for more, because that was all I could give her without spilling anything about Jiyong's past that TOP Oppa had told me last night.

"Hmmm," she hummed suspiciously. She was about to say something else when I saw my building ahead. "OH! Look at the time! I'm going to be late CL, I'll catch you later hmm?" I rambled before speeding off, leaving CL standing there in shock.

"YAH!" was all I heard from her as I continued to run towards my building.

As I got closer I slowed down to a walk, breahting heavily to catch my breath. I was now stood outside my closed classroom door. I glanced at my wristwatch. 8:45AM. If Jiyong is going to come into class early like yesterday, he should be in there already. I took a deep breath and pushed the door open, my eyes scanned the classroom as I tried to act as inconspicuous as possible.

I smiled inwardly when I saw him in his usual position - head down on the table sleeping. I was relieved to know he hadn't decided to switch seats or anything, that would make the mission close to impossible. As it was apparant that Jiyong was set on avoiding me from his room, so class time would be the only time I could operate the mission.

I walked slowly to my seats as I thought of how to approach him. What should I say? Multiple scenarios springing to my mind.

 ~ Scenario 1 ~

"Hey Jiyong, I got you coffee,"

He takes a sip and pulls a face, "Why is there no sugar in it?"

"I told them to hold the sugar, because you're sweet enough for the both of us."

~ Scenario 2 ~

"Hey Jiyong, I got you coffee,"

He takes a sip and gives a confused look, "This isn't Caramel Macchiato,"

"I know, I got you a latte, because 'I've been thinking about you a latte'"

~ Scenario 3 ~

"Hey Jiyong, I got you coffee,"

He takes a sip then gestures to my empty hands, "Thanks, where's yours?"

"I didn't need one, since you're like my coffee. You keep me up all night."

I couldn't contain my giggling as the last scenario popped up into my head. That was sooo cheesey! What am I even thinking?! I'm not trying to chat him up! I'm trying to make a peace offering as friends!

Suddenly I felt heavy gazes on me. Crap. I just randomly giggled to myself in the middle of the room whilst making my way to my seat. I blushed in embarrasssment and scurried over to my seat with my head down, avoiding any eye contact. Stupid weird mind, conjuring up weird scenarios.

I scraped the seat, making it obvious to Jiyong I had arrived and then sat down. I eyed him the enter time to see if there were any movements. I saw him shift a little to the left away from me, causing my eyes to narrow. Pfft, did he really think that him moving the teeniest tiniest bit to the left would stop me from talking to him? Especially now that I knew he was awake?

I glanced at the clock, 10 minutes till class starts. I inhaled deeply then--

*prod* I cautiously poked him in the shoulder, observing his movements. This time he very obviously shifted to the left, moving his head more away from me.

*prod* he shifted even further away. I huffed, as I thought of what to do. Well I wasn't going to attempt any of those scenarios, I shuddered at the thought. Okay, just tell him directly.

"Hey..." I started softly, my eyes still on him. He didn't move at all this time, I took this as a good sign, a sign that maybe he was listening, "I just want to say I'm really sorry for yesterday. I don't know why I said what I said. I know I was wrong, and I know you didn't do what I accused you of. I've been feeling guilty all night long," the third scenario popped up in my head and I let out another giggle, but then I stopped my eyes widening. What the ?! Seriously Dara?! At this crucial in time you decide to giggle?! You're trying to apologise and you're laughing? He's going to think it's a joke!

It didn't escape my notice that he'd shifted a little further away, telling me he was listening, which meant he heard me laugh. I began to panic, my hands waving around frantically. "I-I didn't mean to laugh Jiyong! Believe me, it's just that something popped up in my head. You see, I wasn't sure how to approach you, and I began to think of ways to go about it, and then for some reason in one of the scenarios I was chatting you up with a pick up line, saying that 'you're like my coffee, as you keep me up all night', so when I said I felt guilty all night it popped back into my mind and then--" I cut my rambling explanation abruptly, as a deep blush rushed to my cheeks. Aw Sh*t! This was going wrong in so many ways. I try to apologise and I end up revealing to him that I had conjured up an image of me chatting him up?! What the actual ?! This is so unbelieveably embarassing! I just want to crawl into a hole and never come back out.

My shoulders slumped in defeat, this supposed apology wasn't going the way I wanted it to. It couldn't get any worse than this. I sighed before continuing, "Basically, what i'm trying to say is that I'm really really sorry and I hope you can forgive me. If you could, then I really hope we can start a fresh and become friends, and get to know each other again." Jiyong remained still, unmoving after my fail of an attempt at apologising, "I brought you a coffee - Caramel Macchiato, your favourite, as a peace offering," I tried again softly, as I placed the cup beside his head. No movement.

Sighing heavily I moved away from him. I'm not surprised he didn't accept my apology, what kind of a sorry excuse for an apology was that. From the corner of my eye I swear I saw his shoulders move up and down.. I shook my head, that's not possible, I guess it's just my wishful thinking.

"Right class, are you ready?" Mr Sang walked in and began to set up his laptop. From the corner of my eye I saw Jiyong sit up, his face showing no emotion. I sighed heavily again, my apology had no affect what so ever. I hoped he would at least drink the coffee I had bought him, but no. It sat there where I had left it - untouched. I turned my head to look outside the window as I waited for Mr Sang to start the lesson. I went to grab my coffee - I seriously needed it right now - when--

/swish/

I grabbed... air? Huh? I looked at the table where my coffee was supposed to be to see... nothing. This is some sort of deja vu...

I blinked then slowly turned to the left, and was greeted by Jiyong happily sipping from my cup of coffee again. I blinked twice. Am I imagining this? But no, there he was with my coffee in his hand. He closed his eyes and sighed in satisfaction. When he re-opened them, his eyes immediately met mine.

"Haven't I said before? Your coffee tastes sweeter," he said a smirk forming on his lips.

I should've been annoyed that he had stolen my coffee, but instead of feeling annoyed, I felt... happy. I bit my lip trying to contain my smile as I turned away from him and faced the front. A coffee appeared on my table and I turned to look at him quizically, trying my best not to break out into a smile.

"It's not like I'm going to drink mine since I have yours," he gestured to my coffee in his hand. This time I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face, reaching my eyes. I picked up the coffee and took a sip turning back to the front. 'Hmmm, this coffee tastes sweeter...'


Author's Note:

Annyeong Yeoruben! Triple update today and the last update for the night! This is for mailenf4, who wanted the update :) Mianhe it didn't come out faster! Hope it has met your expectations! Till next timee! ^^
~Water Phoenix