Chapter 4

Eyes, the window to the soul

Dara's POV

I can't believe this is happening to me! Kwon frickin' Jiyong? Seriously? Anyone, anyone but him could be standing there! There are almost 50 million people in South Korea, over 10 million people in Seoul alone, but nooooooo lo and behold, smirking like there is no tomorrow is the irritable - I could really do with slapping his face right now -, childhood arch nemesis. The one and -fortunately for the worlds sake- only Kwon Jiyong. If there were clones of him... I shudder at the thought.

Okay, you may be wondering why I'm having such a strong reaction to this distasteful creature that calls itself a human. Let me let you in on a little secret.

~ Flashback to 14 years ago ~

Third Person POV

"Dara-ah, come downstairs, Omma wants you to meet someone!" Four year old little Dara promptly got up from her sitting position, breaking the little circle she had created with her teddy bears. She was currently hosting a tea party. She politely excused herself to her 'guests' before making her way to the stairs.

She scrambled down the stairs, gripping onto the railings of the stairs, as she took one step at a time with her little legs. Being 4 it was expected that Dara was small, but she was exceptionally smaller than her other friends, and was extremely petite when placed beside her best friend Chaerin.

She finally made it to the bottom of the stairs safely, and tiptoed towards the living room where she could hear her mothers voice. She carefully pushed the door open and peeked in to see her mother sitting on a chair conversing excitedly with a woman who had a child next to her. Dara couldn't see the faces as their backs were turned away from her.

Her mother spotted her and called out to her happily, "Dara-ah come and meet our new neighbours!" She pushed the door open fully, before making her way towards her mother, looking down at the ground. Dara was a very shy child and wasn't too fond of meeting new people. She didn't feel it was necessary when all she needed was her bestfriend Chaerin, and Chaerin's cousin Minzy, as well as her own cousin Bommie.

She finally reached her mother, who promptly turned her around to face her new neighbours. A young woman around the same age as her mother smiled kindly at her. Her eyes trailed down to the small figure next to the woman. A boy who was scowling uncontrollably, not hididng his displeasure at all.

"Annyeong Dara-ah, I'm Kwon Jae-hwa and we're your new neighbour, you can call me Imo neh?" the woman spoke softly to Dara, "This is my son Jiyong, he's a few months older than you, I'm sure you guys will be the best of friends!"

The woman gave the boy a small shove, causing him to take a step closer toward Dara "Say hello Jiyong." Jiyong glanced up at his mother, it seemed as though he was going to argue when his mother gave him a stern look. He turned to eye the scrawny girl in front of him. "Hi." he said reluctantly. Simple and emotionless.

Dara's mother gave her a little shove forward too, so that she was now just a foot away from Jiyong. She looked at the boy, nervously clutching the side of her skirt. "Annyeong..." she replied shyly.

The mothers beamed happily clapping hands."Dara-ah why don't you take Jiyong to your room and play? Omma and Imo are going to talk down here arrasso?" Dara's mother suggested. The two children looked at each other wide-eyed, as if the prospect of being in a close vicinity to one another without parental supervision, alone, was a horrific idea.

"But--" they both began to whine, looking at their respective mothers. Dara threw in some puppy eyes just for good measure, but to no avail. "Come on Dara, you need to make more friends. Jiyong is a lovely boy, now go on, go upstairs." Her mother gave her another shove towards the direction of the door. Her lip jutted out into a  pout as she reluctantly began to walk towards the door, glancing back to see the boy trailing behind her in obvious dislike and reluctance too. She let out a little sigh and the two of them made their way up the stairs in complete silence.

She led Jiyong into her room and glanced at the boy nervously. "Erm... I was err... just having a err... tea party with my teddies, you're welcome to join.. if you want.." she said gesturing at the incomplete circle on the floor, standing awkardly infront of him, unsure of what to do. She didn't interact much with guys, well besides her baby brother who could barely talk, and the only boy she called her oppa - Minho.

Jiyong looked down at the teddies in disatisfaction. "I don't want to play with stupid teddy bears, that's for girls." he said as he kicked one of her teddies over. Jiyong wasn't normally this bratty, but he wasn't in the best of moods. He had just moved, leaving behind his bestfriend Seunghyun, something he abcolutely hated. He didn't want to make friends with this little girl in front of him. No one would replace his bestfriend. Unfortunately for Dara, he was taking things out on her.

Dara watched him kick her current favourite bear over, one that her Appa had recently won at a fair for her. She felt anger boil up within her, all signs of nervousness and shyness gone. "YAHH! How dare you kick my teddy bear! If you don't want to play you just have to say! You're rude! I don't want to play with you anymore!" Dara shouted as she picked up her bear from the floor, dusting it off where Jiyong's shoe had touched it.

Jiyong, already annoyed anyway grew angry at the girl's outburst. How dare this girl shout at him? Didn't she know he was having a bad day? It was just a stupid teddybear, why was she getting so worked up and upset about it? She had no right to be upset unlike him, who had just lost his bestfriend! "Tch! As if I would want to play with you anyway! You're calling me rude? I'm older than you! You shouldn't be speaking so informally, you should be calling me Oppa!" Jiyong shouted back at her, but that wasn't enough, "and who wears their hair in pigtails anyway? That's just stupid. You look stupid, I'll help you fix it." he said harshly as he stomped over to Dara, grabbing her right pigtail and tugging hard at the roots where her hairtie was. Unfortunately for Dara it was one of those elastic hairties that often got stuck and tangled in your hair.

"Ow! Ow! What are you doing?! Get off! It hurts! It hurts! OMMAAAA!" Dara began to wail as she tried to tug her hair out of Jiyong's grasp, tears streaming down her face from his harsh words and the pain form his tugging. In a matter of minutes the two mothers burst into the room.

"Omo!" Jiyong's mother exclaimed as she briskly loosened Jiyong's hands and pulled him away from Dara. "I am so sorry Eunhee, Dara!" she apologised, "I don't know why Jiyong is acting this way, he's not normally like this!" Jiyong's mother looked at Eunhee and Dara apologetically.

"It's okay, I'm sure he isn't. I'm sure they have equal blame in this. Maybe it's best if we try this again another time." Dara's mother suggested understandingly as she rubbed Dara's sore scalp, and wiped away her continous stream of tears.

"Thanks for understanding, yes we'll definitely try another time. We'll see ourselves out" Jae-Hwa said as she took Jiyongs hand and left, the closing of the front door could be heard soon after.

From that day onwards, Jiyong and Dara became arch nemesis.

~ End of Flahback ~

Dara's POV

I remember that horrific day so vividly... or rather the pain when the jerk tugged at my hair. My scalp was sore for a whole week after that incident! To this day I have no idea why he acted the way he did, of course I doubt there was even a reason, I mean the guy was a jerk. Look at him leaning on the window thinking he's somesort of god. Pssh, well he can't deceive me.

"So where's that beloved tatty bear of yours? Do you still have it? What was that thing called again? TaTa or something?" he chuckled, teasing me.

Grrrr, this guy makes my blood boil everytime he speaks.

"It's called TamTam for your information, and yes I do still have it, not that it's any of your business." I said as I held my head up high, he probably thought I was going to get embarrassed or something, but why would I? I treasured TamTam, he was given to me by CL on my 6th birthday, and it was the best present I have received. She had made it herself, well, with the help of her Omma, but come on she was only 6, small hands can only do so much!

"Well I would just love to stay and chat with you my dear bestfriend, we've got sooo much to catch up on, but I must run," he said sarcastically, as he blew me a kiss, which I quickly avoided making a disgusted face. He laughed at me before closing his window and moving away from it and leaving his room.

I can't believe that thing that I was just talking to used to be that little boy. Well... Actually I CAN believe that, he's just as jerky as he was back then, but even I have to admit that he grew up well, and by well I mean FINE. If only he had a great personality to go with it... such a waste... I sighed dramatically.

Anyway! That's not the point, why am I in this predicament anyway?! I should be super happy right now, jumping through clouds and over rainbows. I had just been given my freedom, something I was hoping to thoroughly enjoy, only to have it ruined and tainted by Mr jerkface. Aish! That's when it hit me...

"LEE FRICKIN' CHAERIN! GET YOUR OUT HERE THIS MINUTE, BECAUSE IMMA FRY IT AND SERVE IT FOR LUNCH!!!"


Author's Note:

Annyeong! Just a short chapter with a snippet of their past... What do you guys think so far? I want this fic to be lighthearted, but it may get angsty later, I'm not too sure yet... xD

~Water Phoenix