Chapter 22

Eyes, the window to the soul

Dara's POV

After the talk I had with CL, we continued to sit on the sofa side-by-side in silence, as I thought over everything that had transpired in the past couple of days. Everything had happened in such a blur... It had only been 3? Maybe 4 days? Since Jiyong walked back into my life, and so much had already happened. It had all happened so fast that I was left confused with my emotions, all of them had merged together into a messy ball making it hard for me to unravel and understand the contents. All I was certain of at the moment was that I wanted Jiyong in my life.

I sighed heavily before turning to CL, "I'm tired CL-roo... I'm going to go and sleep, I think i'll skip dinner today." I said as I felt a wave of fatigue hit me.

CL nodded as she watched me get up and slowly make my way to my room.

I closed the door softly and my eyes automatically flickered to the window. I smiled slightly when I saw the smiley face I had made with post it notes the day before yesterday, with the words 'sorry' underneath.

I approached the window and began to peel them off one by one. 'He probably never even saw it' I thought, taking note of how Jiyong had his curtains drawn for the past 2 days. 'I wonder if he's home yet?' I couldn't help but wonder. 

I pulled the last post it note off before taking the pile and throwing it in the bin. I then drew my curtains, welcoming the darkness that it provided. I was so tired. Not physically but emotionally. I crawled into bed my head sinking softly into my pillow to get some much needed sleep.

========

/knock knock/

"Mmmm.."

/knock knock/

"Mmmfff.."

/knock knock/

"CL... get the door..." I muttered into my pillow.

/knock knock/

I groaned as I rolled over so I was lying flat on my back. Someone is bloody using a hammer to knock on our apartment door. It's so loud, even from my room.

Silence.

Good, the person has given up and left. I closed my eyes and was about to drift back to sleep when--

/knock knock/

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO GET SOME DECENT SLEEP AROUND HERE?!" I shouted in frustration as I sat up, now wide awake. As if the person wanted to piss me off further--

/knock knock/

I growled under my breath as I angrily threw the blanket off of me, and stormed towards my door, my hand reached for the door handle ready to fling it off it's hinges when--

/knock knock/

I paused. Now that I was fully awake I realised that it wasn't coming from our apartment door. It wasn't coming from my bedroom door either.

/knock knock/

I slowly turned around, my hand leaving the door handle to face the window. 'Could it be..?' I thought.

/knock knock/

That was definitely coming from my window. I slowly approached the window and opened the curtains. My prediction was right... there stood with that damn mop again was Jiyong. Half of his window -the left side- was open, his mop protuding from his room, centimeters from my window.

/knock knock/

I rolled my eyes and opened the corresponding half of my window, the one he had been incessantly knocking on for the past 5 minutes - directly opoosite the one he had open.

"Yes Jiyong?" I asked in annoyance from being woken up from my sleep. He brought the mop back into his room, leaning it against the side of the window before walking off.

I stood there puzzled, 'Da ?'. He had just knocked on my window, waking me from my much needed sleep and for what? To walk off? He was kidding me right?!

"Yah! Kwon Jiyong! What do you want?! Do you know you just woke me up from my sle--"

I cut my sentence off when I saw him return with a thick plank of wood that was about 2 and a half metres in height and 30 cm wide. It looked like it was once part of his bookshelf. I watched confused as he leaned the wooden plank on his window sill, holding it parallel to it. He then began to push the plank out of his room, constantly keeping it parallel to his window sill.

He woke me up to watch him push a plank of wood out of his window? Seriously?! "Jiyong what are you doing?" I asked confused and annoyed, hoping he had a good explanaion for whatever he was doing. Before I knew it the plank of wood was reachable from my window.

"Grab the end," he merely replied his hands securely holding the plank as his eyes flickered from my confused ones to the end of the plank of wood. I nodded slowly before reaching out of my window to grab it, pulling part of it into my room. I balanced it on my window sill and let go. I looked up to see Jiyong had let go too. He had created a bridge between our windows, the plank of wood now resting securely on our window sills.

"Jiyo--"

I stopped mid sentence when I saw him walk off again. 'What the hell is he up to?' I pondered as I crossed my arms, leaning them on the window sill behind the plank, deciding to just patiently wait for him to explain.

He came back shortly after with a... was that a toy truck? I continued to watch him in bewilderment as he placed the toy truck on the plank, leaving the remote beside it before walking off again. This time he left the room completely.

I waited for a whole minute, trying to come up with some kind of feasible explanation for what he was doing, but continously came up blank. The cold night air drifted into my room, causing goose bumps to rise on my skin, as I began to shiver slightly. Finally, he walked back into the room and made his way to the window. I  squinted in the darkness of his room, my eyes trying to figure out what he was holding. He reached the window and placed whatever was in his hand on the back of the toy truck. 'A bowl of soup?'

I continued to watch him in silence as he grabbed the remote and to my utter shock the toy truck began to move. It began to move across the plank, heading in my direction. I was flabbergasted, my eyes wide as I watched the toy truck make it's way slowly towards me.

*bump*

The toy truck had finally made it's way over, bumping into my crossed arms. I glanced down at it before looking back up to see Jiyong smiling at me softly, "Express Delivery for Miss Park," he said as his eyes flickered from the bowl of soup riding on the back of the truck, before looking up to meet my eyes again.

I just continuted to stare at him wide-eyed, my face showing shock and confusion.

"I came over before to see if you wanted to discuss our business stall over dinner, but CL said you were tired and had gone to bed," he said trying to clear my confusion, but only made me even more confused, "Didn't I tell you already? You're way too thin. You're bordering on becoming an official member of the stick insect species. You really shouldn't skip meals." he finished, not attempting to hide his disapproving look and voice.

My eyes softened. So he'd made soup for me because he knew I was skipping dinner? I couldn't help the warmth that spread through me, warming my entire body, despite the cold night air that was flowing through the window.

"Drink up!" he said as leaned on his window sill, mirroing my current stance. I nodded slowly, as I picked up the soup, which had gone from steaming hot to warm from the cold air. I slowly brought a spoonful of the soup to my mouth taking a small sip.

My eyes brightened as I took another spoonful. 'This was really good!'

"Good?" I heard Jiyong ask nervously, as he massaged the nape of his neck, as he watched me slurp up his soup hungrily.

I nodded quickly, beaming at him, "This tastes great Ji!" his shortened name slipping out of my mouth naturally. It didn't escape my notice that I felt so much closer to him, calling him 'Ji' instead of 'Jiyong'. He smiled brightly back at me, returning back to his earlier position, his arms crossed on the window sill, as he leaned forward, watching me drink his soup intently.

"Ahhh!" I finished the last drop of soup, smacking my lips in satisfaction, earning a chuckle from Jiyong.

"Thanks Ji..." I whispered softly, as my eyes roamed around his face. My eyes once again zoned in on the slight bruising on his jaw, the moonlight bouncing off of his otherwise smooth skin.

An idea came to mind and I pushed myself away from the window and turned around, my eyes scanning my room in the darkness. 'Where is it?' I thought to myself, as I began to search my bookshelf, having a difficult time finding it, in the darkness of my room. 'Ah ha!' I thought to myself as I grabbed the handle of my first aid kit. I walked over to the window and saw Jiyong trying to peer into my dark room and figure out what I was doing. I placed the first aid kit on a space on the right of window sill that wasn't being used behind the other half of the closed window, opening it and rummaging through.

I picked up some ointment and some cotton wool before positioning myself behind my opened window again. I pulled the truck closer to me, placing the ointment and cotton wool on to the back of the truck, where my bowl had previously been. I glanced up to see Jiyong's stunned face.

"You should really put some ointment on that..." I trailed off, as I turned the truck around on the plank of wood, pushing it toward Jiyong slightly. My voice seemed to break him form his trance as he nodded mechanically, grabbing the remote and driving the car back over to him.

He picked up the ointment and cotton wool and immediatlely began to apply it onto his face clumsily, without bothering to find a mirror. I chuckled at his concentrated face his eyes going cross eyed as he tried to look down onto his jaw, 'Cute' I thought, as he continued to dab at his jaw unsure if he was even covering his bruised area. I chucked at his messy work, causing him to divert his attention back to me. He placed the ointment and cotton wool aside, before crossing his arms and leaning out of his window.

I leaned further out of the window as we smiled at each other. A couple of minutes passed when Jiyong's voice broke the tranquility and peace that had fallen over us, "Thanks Chingu..."

There it goes again... that dull pain that throbbed in my chest at the word. I smiled at him again, but this time my smile felt fake.

"Since we're officially friends now, how about we get to know each other a bit more?" I replied, shocking myself at the the almost unnoticeable amount of bitterness that escaped my mouth when I said 'friends'. Jiyong didn't seem to notice, shrugging as if to say, 'Yeah if you want'.

"Let's play 20 questions then?" I asked enthusiastically, leaning even further out of the window, despite my body protesting against the cold wind.

Jiyong nodded, amusement dancing in his eyes at my childish enthusiasm.

"What's your favourite colour?" I asked him.

"Black", he simply replied.

I scrunched my face up at his choice, "That's so boring and dull. That's so you." I rolled my eyes.

"What's your favourite film?" he asked, ignoring my comment.

"Hmmm....", I pondered, I loved watching films... so many to chose from..."Always." I decided.

He shot me a questioning look as if to ask why I picked that film out of all the ones I'd watched, "It's just so sweet don't you think? How they fell in love with each other, not knowing how they had met before. How they lost each other then found each other again. How their fates were so intertwined... in the past and in the future... nothing could seperate them. They would always find each other again..." I explained dreamily, looking up at the moon.

"What's your favourite snack?" I asked lamely, not sure what to ask, as I continued to look at the moon that was currently providing us with a source of light.

Silence.

I turned my head to glance at Jiyong, he looked deep in thought, thinking about what I had said. His eyes trained on the plank of wood between us, biting his lip. 'I wonder what's he thinking...'

"Jiyong?" I said, snapping him from his reverie, "What's your favourite snack?" I repeated.

"Oh.. Poolppang.." he replied absentmindedly his thoughts somewhere else. Heyy! That was my favourite snack! Poolppang is this delicious sweet custard bread that I absolustely loved when I as younger. Omma used to make them all the time, and everytime we went shopping on the streets of Seoul, I would always always buy some Poolppang from every single street food stall that I passed. Each stall having a slightly different twist and taste to it.

"Ji, It's your turn to ask me a question," I prompted him after a while when he didn't ask me a question in return. 'Seriously.. what had I said that had made him think so hard?'

Jiyong blinked at me, then blurted out, "What's your favourite flowers?"

"Oriental lilies," I replied without hesitation.

The rest of the night went by with us exchanging small questions, getting to know each other better. It surprsied me how I could predict and know most of the answers Jiyong gave me. Apparently as a child, I had actually been quite observant of his likes, dislikes and habits.

The moon being a witness to the official start of a beautiful friendship... 'and maybe more?' a small voice whispered at the back of my head.

========

Third Person POV

Meanwhile, unbeknowst to them there was another witness to the little world they had created for themselves.

CL closed Dara's door silently, a cup of hot chocolate in her left hand, her right hand leaving the door handle as a small knowing smile graced her face after witnessing one of the sweetest scenes she'd ever seen - the other being just hours ago at the cafeteria with the exact same people.

"Just friends?" she muttered, her smile widening as she tiptoead away and entered her room, leaving the two friends to talk their way through the night, providing each other with a warmth that allowed them to be oblivious to the cold night air.


Author's Note:

Annyeong wonderful subscribers!! The film I mentioned is a real Korean film I watched whilst on the plane. It's really good and I'd recommend you guys to watch it! The Third Person POV ending was for amership, who requested a Daragon moment to be witnessed by a friend without disturbance! Hope it meets your expectations! I feel like I could've written this chapter better if I spent more time on it but I really wanted to update for my lovely subscribers... so here it is! Enjoyy! ^^

P.S. In case I didn't describe the scene well enough.. this is what I meant...:

~Water Phoenix