Chapter 38

Eyes, the window to the soul

Dara's POV

I was about to throw away the empty soup pot but my hand just wouldn't let go of it. It was almost like my hand was glued to the pot. My eyes flickered to the sink and then back down to the polystyrene pot in my hands. I smiled before walking over to wash it. 'I could use this for something...' I told myself.

After washing and drying the pot I picked up the sticky note and made my way back into my room, placing the pot on my bedside table with the sticky note on it.

I should really thank Jiyong for the soup... Should I call him or text him? If I call him he will hear my voice and will get suspicious about me being ill. It's much safer if I text.

From: Dara

Sent at: 13:32PM (1:32PM)

Thanks for the soup Ji, you really didn't have to ^^

~ Dara the awesome

I sent the text and lay on my bed, holding the phone to my chest as I waited for his reply.

5 minutes...

10 minutes...

30 minutes...

1 hour...

I pouted as I held the phone close to my face. Why hasn't he texted back?! How rude! I was thanking him and he doesn't reply?! Tch! I take it back now!

From: Dara

Sent at: 14:35PM (2:35PM)

Forget it. I take back my thanks.

~ Dara

I knew it was childish of me but I really disliked it when people didn't text me back, especially when I was thanking him! Hmph! I rolled around in bed for a while in frustration before getting up. I looked down at myself and noticed I was still wearing Jiyong's jacket. I took it off and threw it into a corner of my room in annoyance before going to grab one of my Economics books. May as well read up since I missed two lessons. Tch! I miss a lesson just so he doesn't think i'm avoiding him and he won't even text me back!?!

== 2 hours later ==

"SSANTOKIIII!" Bom barged into my room beaming brightly as she bounced on the spot, breaking the concentration I had in studying.

"Neh? Why are you so bubbly and happy?" I asked, genuinely curious as I closed my Economics Book and swivelled around in my desk chair.

"Seunghyun talked to me today!!!" She exploded as she jumped onto my bed and began to roll around on my blanket like a crazy person. I watched her for a while before shrugging and jumping on the bed to join her in spazzing.

"I can't believe it! He talked to me! We're making progress! I can practically hear the wedding bells!" Bom said giddily as she paused her rolling to gigle.

"Really?! What did he say?!" I asked in excitement, I can't believe I missed this! Seunghyun talked to Bommie?!

"He told me to go away!!!" She said happily as she began to roll around again, a wide smile on her face.

I frowned as I watched her giggle to herself. Has she official gone crazy? Do I need to tell Imo and Samchon their precious daughter needs to be sent to a mental asylum?

"Bommie I don't think you really understood what he said.." I said cautiously, hoping she wouldn't go crazy on me.

"No! He told me to go away!!" She repeatd as she sat up beaming at me.

"Bommie... he told you to go away... that's not exactly something to be happy about," I tried to explain as I played with her long hair as if she were a child.

"I'm not crazy Dara, I know he told me to go away," her smile fell momentarily before she brightened up again, "BUT! He talked to me! That's the main point here Ssantoki! He talked to me! That means he acknowledges that I exist!"

"I'm really happy for you Bommie," I gave her a genuine smile, happy to see her so ecstatic at the small progess she had made at Seunghyun, despite the fact he only talked to her to tell her to 'go away'.

"I know it's not much progress... but it's better than nothing! I really think baking him a cake will help!" Bom said as she grabbed my hands, shaking them up and down as she bounced on the bed.

"OH!" she paused her shaking to sit beside me, "I need your help Ssantoki!"

I eyed her warily before nodding, "What help?"

"I'm going to go to one of those cake decorating cafes tonight. I went to check it out last night and it looks really good! I want to practice my decorating skills, please will you come with me? CL-roo said she won't step foot in one of those places," Bom pouted as she stared up at me through her eyelashes, unleashing her puppydog eyes.

"Sure! Why not!" I said causing her to beam at me, "Now?"

"Not yet... in about an hour and a halfs time? I'll meet you there?" she replied as she stood up from the bed and made her way towards my desk.

I cocked my head to the side in confusion, "Meet you there? Why can't we go together?"

"Oh..I.. uh.. I uh... need to go and buy some ingredients to practice baking cakes tomorrow, and I don't want to bother you with that as well. I'll just give you the directions and you meet me there neh?" I watched as she ripped a piece of paper and scribbled down the address, leaving the slip on the table before leaving my room without another word.

Hmm... I looked out of the door she just left. Was it just me or did she seem a bit shifty? I quickly shook away the thought as I went back to my desk. I may as well do a bit more studying before I head out tonight.

== 1 hour later ==

I placed my pen down and stood up to stretch before making my way over to my wardrobe to get ready for the little date Bom and I had at the cake decorating cafe.

After getting ready I grabbed my bag and the direction slip Bom had left. I was about to leave the room when at I spotted Jiyong's jacket out of the corner of my eye. I bit my lip as I  eyed the jacket in the corner, contemplating whether to take it or not. I was annoyed at him for not replying... but it's not like he'll know if I wore his jacket right? I nodded happily to myself as I picked his jacket up and put it on before walking out.

"CL-roo! I'm going to meet Bommie now! I'll bring you a cake back!" I shouted in the genera direction of CL's room before leaving the apartment.

I flagged down a taxi and showed the the driver the directions and within 15 minutes I had arrived at the cafe. I quickly paid him before letting myself out to stand outside of the cafe as I waited for Bom. I hummed to myself as I glanced at my wristwatch, Bom should be here any minute now...

I turned around and decided to take a look inside the cafe through the large glass window. My eyes rounded in amazement as I spotted all the beautifully decorated cakes on display. There were quite a few customers in there already, all of them diligently decorating their chosen cakes. I frowned when I noticed something. Everyone was in pairs, but that wasn't it. They were all couples. Why would Bommie bring me to a couples cake decorating cafe? I'm sure there are loads of other cafe's like this... This is going to be so awkward!

*tap tap*

"YAH! Bommie! What took you so long?! Did you get distracted by the bread aisle again?! Do you know this cafe is for coupl--" I paused in my rant. There, before me was not my dear soon-to-be-dead cousin Bom, but Kwon Jiyong.

"What are you doing here?" I said in annoyance as I moved away from him, looking left and right down the road to see if I could spot Bom.

"I could ask you the same thing," Jiyong said as he eyed me up and down, "Aren't you supposed to be in ill in bed?" I could hear the accusatory tone in his voice. .

*cough cough*

"I'm feeling better now, but my throat is still quite sore," I faked a rough voice as I brought my hand up to rub my throat for added effect.

Jiyong rolled his eyes at me, "Puh-lease don't give me that bull. You were screaming like there was no tomorrow just moments ago."

I dropped my arms and glared at him, "Whatever, you can move along now."

"Why did you lie about being ill?" He accused as he crossed his arms across his chest, looking down at me expectantly.

"I didn't exactly lieYou assumed that I was ill... I just went along with it." I replied nonchalantly as I shrugged.

"Why didn't you come in to university today then?" He asked as he began to tap his foot.

"What are you? My Omma!? Why do I have to answer all these questions!? I overslept okay?! Yeesh." I exploded, annoyed with all the questions he was asking.

"Why didn't you just say? You didn't have to lie you know," he said softly. I glanced up to see him looking at me with a hint of hurt in his eyes.

"I only lied because I knew that if I came in late you would think I was avoiding you," I explained as I avoided his eyes, not wanting to discuss what had occured the night before.

I felt him grip my chin gently turning my head to look at him, "I would've believed you if you just told me the truth, but thank you for considering my feelings first."

"Sorry," I apologised as I looked back into his gentle eyes, "and thank you for the soup even though I wasn't ill."

Jiyong pinched my cheek before pulling away, "I see you put my jacket to good use." he commented as he looked me up and down.

"Oh, I just saw it lying around in my room and grabbed it as I was in a rush," I lied, not wanting him to know how often I actually wore it.

"Oh really? Then how come I saw you wearing it when you were asleep?" he teased as he shoved his hands into his jean pockets.

I gaped at him in shock, "WHAT?! You watched me sleep?! You byuntae!" I shouted as I reached out to repeatedly hit him on his arm.

"You're definitely not ill. No ill person can hit like that! Stop it! I wasn't watching you per se. I was checking to see if you were okay. I should've suspected something when I felt you didn't have a temperature!" He accused again as he dodged my constant hits.

"Tch! I don't care if you were checking up on me! You byuntae!" I gave up on hitting him since he  kept managing to move away, "Ergh! Whatever! Stop annoying me! Go away! What are you doing here anyway?!"

"I could ask you the same question," Jiyong quipped back as he leaned against the glass window of the cafe.

"I already told you! I'm waiting for Bom! She wants me to accompany her to decorate some cakes," I said as I gestured to the cafe before turning my back to him to look around. 'Seriously! Where the hell was Bom? Why was she taking so long?'

"Oh really? Funny that, because that's why i'm here too," Jiyong said casually. I stilled as I processed his words before turning around to face him.

"What?"

"Bom noona texted me earlier and told me to meet her here. She said something about CL not wanting to step foot in a cafe like this, and since you were 'ill' she could only rely on me. She blackmailed me actually. Since I told her I would support her in anything," Jiyong explained as he rolled his eyes, "Isn't Seunghyun Hyung a lucky guy?" he finished sarcastically.

"You're kidding right?" I said, as I came up of multiple ways of ridding my dear cousin off of this planet.

"Nope!" Jiyong said, popping the p as he eyed me in amusement.

"Oh she is sooo de--"

*beep beep*

"Speak of the devil!" I muttered as I took my phone out to read the text from my soon-to-be-rid-from-this-world cousin.

From: Bomtaro

Sent at: 18:17PM (6:17PM)

Annyeong my beautiful cousin! Change of plan, looks like I won't be able to join you. Have fun with Jiyong neh? ;) Kekekeke.

~ The awesome ingenious Bomtaro

I gritted my teeth as I read the text. That scheming little--

"Was that Bom noona?" I heard Jiyong ask, his voice extremely close to my ear. I looked over my shoulder and jumped back in shock as I held my phone to my chest.

"YAH! Would you not do that! You scared the crap out of me!" I complained as I glared at him.

Jiyong rolled his eyes as he gestured with his head towards my phone, "Well?"

"Yeah, she said she can't make it. How convenient," I grumbled as I locked my phone shoving it in to my pocket. Phone? That reminds me..

"YAHH! YOU! Why didn't you reply to my text?! I thanked you and you ignored it!" I spat at him in annoyance.

"Is it really that much of a big deal?" Jiyong asked as he raised an eyebrow in amusement.

"Yes it is a big deal! I hate it when people ignore me! It feels like i'm insignificant in their life and not important to them at all!" I blurted out, my eyes widening as I let slip one of my deepest fears. I quickly turned away from him, "Erm... s-since Bom can't make it i-i'm just going to go home."

I had only taken a couple of steps away when I felt Jiyong's arms wrap around me from the back, his chest connecting with my back in a back-hug.

"I'm sorry," he apologised, his hot breath fanning against my ear, "If I knew how you felt I would've replied straight away. I want you to know that you're extremely important to me Dara, don't ever forget that," I heard him whisper tentatively. His words warmed me to the very core, causing my heart to flutter again for what seemed like hundreth time today.

"Come on, we're here now. We might as well go in," he said before pulling away. I turned around slowly and was about to shake my head when I felt him gently hold my hand, tugging me towards the door of the cafe.

The door jingled, signalling our entrance into the cafe. Upon hearing the noise a woman made her way towards us, she looked about the same age as my grandmother.

"Aigoo, aren't you two a lovely couple? Even wearing couple clothes! I haven't seen a couple wearing couple clothes in so long!" the woman gushed as she looked the both of us up and down, her eyes landing on our connected hands. Couple clothes? I looked down at myself then at Jiyong and realised we were wearing co-ordinated clothes. Crap.

I blushed, immediately letting go of Jiyong's hand as I shook my head profusely, "A-aniyo, w-we're not a couple!"

"Aigoo! No need to be shy child, you might hurt your boyfriend's feelings! If you weren't a couple why would you come to this couple cafe? You're such a lucky girl, look how handsome he is!" the woman gushed again as she reached up to pat Jiyong on the cheeks in a motherly way.

"N-no, we're really not--"

"Jagiya, no need to be shy," I heard Jiyong sweetly say, cutting me off as he pinched my cheek before reaching for my hand to hold it again.

I felt my heart jump at the endearing term but quickly pushed the feeling aside as I stared at him like he had gone crazy, "J-J-iyong.. W-what a-are you doing?" I stuttered.

Jiyong leaned down to whisper in my ear, "Just play along, I think this cafe is strictly for couples, we'll have to leave otherwise."

"Let's just leave then!" I whispered harshly back, as I attempted to pull him out of the cafe but Jiyong ignored me, straightening up to smile at the woman who I assumed was the owner of the shop.

"Sorry, she's just a bit shy," Jiyong explained good naturedly to the owner.

"Aigoo... such a sweet couple! He's a good one, you should keep a hold of him!" the woman advised as she looked at Jiyong in approval.

I just stiffly nodded my head, not being able to believe the current predicament I was in. The woman brought us over to a secluded corner away from the other couples - not that we were a couple or anything - ushering us to sit down.

"This is the perfect place for couples to go on a date!" she said as she handed us a menu, "I'll just give you a minute or so to decide the cake you want to decorate, there are lots of different shapes and sizes. Once you've decided we'll bring it out with a tray of decorations and then you're set to make your first ever couple cake! Oh, and called me halmeoni neh?" With that  halmeoni walked away to check on the other couples.

"So which cake do you want?" Jiyong asked as he looked at the different variations of cake.

I watched him in shock, "How are you so calm about this? We're not even a couple! We shouldn't be here!"

"There's no point getting all worked up about it. We're never going to see anyone in here again anyway, so what's the harm in pretending?" he replied his eyes still trained on the menu, "Besides, just considerate it as part of research for the fund-raising fair."

I reluctantly nodded my head before realising he probably couldn't see as he was so immersed in the menu, "Okay."

"So which one do you want?" Jiyong asked again as he gestured to the menu, holding it out so we could both see it.

I scanned the menu and boy were there alot of cakes to choose from! There were all sorts of different shapes with different flavoured sponges. Some even had fruits whilst others had jelly!

"I don't know... there's so many to pick from..." I said indecisvely.

"Just go for the first one that catches your eye," Jiyong suggested.

"Okay... That one!" I pointed to a random cake with my eyes closed.

"I see you've decided!," I opened my eyes to see halmeoni leaning over and looking at where I was pointing, "Aigoo! You want the chocolate sponge shaped in a heart? You two are so adorable!"

Heart? I looked down and followed my finger to see that I was pointing at a heart shaped cake. Crap. I have the worst luck ever. I looked up, about to change my mind only to find that halmeoni had already zoomed off.

"Aish!" I muttered as I took my finger away from the menu.

"No need to get annoyed Dara, it's just a shape," I heard Jiyong chuckle as he put the menu away before ruffling my hair, "We're here we may as well enjoy ourselves. Just pretend no one else is here okay?"

I sighed heavily before turning to look at him, "Okay."

"Here you go!" halmeoni came back placing down the cake before us before moving to allow a pretty waitress to place all the decorations down. I watched as the girl slowly placed the two trays of decorations down as she eyed Jiyong with interest, biting her lip in what I assume was supposed to be in a y manner. I glared at her, not that she noticed since she was so immersed in her attempt to seduce Jiyong. I glanced at Jiyong and was pleased to see he wasn't even looking at the girl or paying any attention to her despite her attempt to gain his attention. Instead he was busy playing with my hands and fingers which he had brought onto his lap. I smiled in satisfaction as I looked back up at the girl, but she continued to ignore me as she pushed the tray towards Jiyong, causing him to look up momentarily.

"Jagiyaaa! I'm soooo happy you brought me here!" I cooed sweetly as I latched onto Jiyong's arm, leaning my head on his shoulder as I sent another glare at the girl. This one she saw, as she glared back at me. Jiyong glanced down at me and I bit my lip to stop myself from laughing at his shocked and puzzled face. I diverted my eyes back to the waitress and watched in satisfaction as the girl's glare hardened before she straigtened up and stalked off, halmeoni following shortly after but not before she sent me a knowing wink.

I was still grinning to myself when I heard Jiyong chuckle, his shoulders shaking up and down with laughter, "Jealous much Jagiya?" he teased, emphasising the word 'jagiya'.

I abruptly pulled away and shifted away from him, "I don't know what you're talking about." Jealous? Me? Tch! Why would I be jealous for?

"Oh really? Jagiyaaa! I'm soooo happy you brought me here!" Jiyong imitated in a falsetto voice.

I turned my head to give him a quick glare before turning away with a 'hmph!'

"Oh come on. Admit it. You were jealous!" Jiyong accused.

"Pfft! No! Why would I be jealous? It's not like you're my boyfriend or anything! I only did that because I didn't like the way she was looking at you. It seemed very er... malicious!" I fibbed, not really sure myself why I had gone out of my way to act like Jiyong was mine. Tch! I wouldn't of had to if that stupid girl had just backed-off. Jiyong is off limits! 'But why is he off limits hmmm?' I asked myself, but I quickly shook the question away when I was unable to come up with a reasonable explanation.

"If you say so..." Jiyong continued to tease as he poked my cheek, a wide grin on his face. I smacked his hand away as I kept my back turned away from him.

"Arasso, come on lets decorate the cake," Jiyong conceeded as he slid his left arm around my waist, easily pulling me back to connect to his side leaving no space between us before turning me to face the table, whilst his right hand dragged the cake closer to us.

I expected him to pull his arm away but instead he left his arm firmly around my waist, keeping me in place as he passed me one of the decoration trays, "Here."

I nodded as I grabbed the tray frm him placing it in front of me as  admired all the different decorations. 'Jiyong's right... I'm here already. I may as well enjoy myself.'

I began to diligently decorate the cake and as time passed by I began to find I was really enjoying myself. I had never done something like this before and it was really fun! It seemed even more special since I was doing something new that neither Jiyong or I had done before.

"Why aren't you decorating?" I questioned when I noticed he hadn't palced anything onto the cake. This whole time he had just been watching me whilst engaging me in mindless chatter, his left arm still wrapped around my back and waist.

"It's more fun watching you have fun," he replied whilst shrugging his shoulders as he picked up a strawberry and held it out for me to eat.

I bit half of the strawberry, chewing it as I watched Jiyong finish the rest of it.

"Don't lie! You're just lazy and don't want to do anything! You just want the cake at the end! Making me do all the hard work!" I whined as I tried to stand up to reach for the cream-filled piping bag. I felt Jiyong's left arm tighten around my waist, preventing me from getting up as his right hand easily reached out to grab the cream.

"Fine... If you really want me to help you..." he trailed of as he began to messily pipe the cream around the edges of the cake with one hand.

I smiled happily as I began to place the fruits on top of the cream when--

"JIYOOOOONG!" I complained as I tried to lean away from him and his cream covered finger which had just moments ago come in contact with my chesk. It was made more difficult by the fact that Jiyong was holding me in place, restricting how much I could physically move away from him.

"You told me to decorate, you didn't specify what I should decorate," he said cheekily as he smeared some cream onto the tip of my nose.

"Ewww! You knew I meant the cake Jiyong!" I complained as I made a move to wipe the cream off of my cheek but Jiyong pushed my hand away, wiping it off with his clean fingers before bringing it up to his mouth to taste it.

I made another move to wipe the cream off of my nose but once again Jiyong pushed my hand away. I began to wiggle my nose around, itching to remove the cream as I tried to look at it, causing me to go cross eyed.

"Jiyooooong! Get it off! It's icky!" I whined as I wiggled my nose at him.

Jiyong chuckled before leaning down to kiss the tip off my nose like it was the most natural thing to do, the cream transferring onto his lips. He pulled back and I watched as his tongue flickered out to the cream off of his lips. Damn. That was y...

I continued to stare at his lips. They looked so soft... 'I wonder...?' I snapped out of my trance when I felt Jiyong nudge me, "Huh?"

"Come on, lets finish decorating the cake. At this rate we're going to be stuck here forever," he joked as he picked up the piping bag again.

I nodded as I began to mechanically decorate, not concentrating fully on the task. I wonder why I didn't pull away when he kissed my nose. I wonder why it felt... so natural for him to do something like that. I wonder why.. for once, I didn't run away or I didn't blush. I just... accepted it?

"Dara, I don't think you should put so much stuff on. The cake is practically overflowing," Jiyong chuckled, breaking my reverie.

I glanced down at the cake and my eyes widened as I saw I had absentmindedly thrown on a bunch of random decorations uncaringly.

"It's ruined!" I whined, pouting as I looked at the cake.

"No it's not, we can still save it if we eat the random decorations you put on," he suggested as he began to pick off the decorations from the cake and holding them up for me to eat.

"Yayy!" I cheered as I looked down at the pretty cake we had managed to make after having taken off all the unnecessary decorations I had put on when I wasn't concentrating.

"It looks like something's missing..." Jiyong pondered as he furrowed his eyebrows and stared at the cake, "The middle looks empty," he concluded.

"I think it looks fine, we don't want to put too much. Hey Ji, move over, I need to go to the toilet before we go." I felt Jiyong release his hold from me as I stood up and made my way towards the toilet.

I came back and plopped down beside Jiyong, "Shall we pay and go then?"

"You're going?!" We both turned to see halmeoni stood before us with what looked like a polaroid camera in her hand, "You can't leave yet! I haven't taken a photo of you two! It's shop policy!" she exclaimed as she waved the camera in front of us.

"Halmeoni, must we really ta--"

"Yes you must!" she said adamantly as she sat opposite us, "Now I'm going to take three photos! One for each of you and one for the shop wall okay?"

I nodded my head reluctantly as I felt Jiyong naturally wrap his arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him.

"Now, I want the both of you to tilt your cake up so we can photograph that too!" she instructed as she pointed at the cake.

I looked down and my eyes widened. What the hell?! That wasn't there before! Slap bang in the middle of our heartshaped cake was the words 'Dara & Jiyong'. I scrutinised the handwriting before turning to give Jiyong an accusing look to which Jiyong winked at me, "What? I told you it looked empty."

I rolled my eyes as I tried to hold back my smile but failed miserably as I turned towards the camera.

"3...2...1"

*SNAP*

"That was a really nice one! We'll have that one for the store!" Halmeoni talked to herself as she placed the first of three polaroids on the table.

"3...2...1"

*SNAP*

"This one's even better! Which one of you want it?" She asked as she fanned the polaroid waiting for it to dry. After a minute of fanning she held it up for us to see.

"I want it!" I exclaimed as I grabbed the polaroid, admiring the picture. It was such a good picture of us! The both of us were grinning at the camera as if we had been friends forever, not just for a few weeks. 

"Okay last one! 3...2...1"

*smooch* *SNAP*

I blinked in shock as I felt Jiyong pull away from me, eager to look at the photo.

"Aigoo... this one is so cute!" Halmeoni gushed as she fanned the polaroid before holding it up for us to see. There, in the photo was me looking like a deer caught in the head lights whilst Jiyong's lips were connected to my cheek.

"This one's mine!" Jiyong grabbed the picture and looked at it closer, "You look so cute Dara." he chuckled.

"YAH! Why did you do that for?!" I asked, as my hand went up to brush the spot where he had sneakily kissed me.

"Thought i'd shake it up abit," he simply replied as he took his wallet out, slipping the small polaroid into the clear pocket in his wallet.

"You two are just adorable! This cake is on the house okay?" She said as she stood up.

"Ani Halmeoni! We must pay!" I said as I pulled out my purse.

"No! I refuse to take your money, just promise me you two will come back again okay?" She said as she walked away with our cake to box it up before I could refuse.

"Here you go," Halmeoni came back and handed us the neatly wrapped up cake.

"Thank you so much halmeoni," I thanked her, as Jiyong took the boxed up cake.

"If you're really thankful make sure you come back soon neh?" she replied as she showed us out of the shop.

"Don't worry Halmeoni, we'll be back," Jiyong reassured her, before putting his free arm around my shoulders and guiding me out of the cafe.


Author's Note:

Annyeong Yeoruben! Super duper late update! Really sorry! Was extremely busy today... I regret to inform you that i'll be quite busy for the next few weeks so updates won't be as regular. I'll still try my best to update everyday, but there will be some days where I won't have time to update at all. I hope you will continue to support this fic though! Enjoyy ^^
~Water Phoenix