Chapter 53

Eyes, the window to the soul

Dara's POV

== The next day at lunch time ==

"Where's CL?" Youngbae asked, causing us all to turn our heads to the two vacant seats on the table.

"She's with Seungri," I replied with a smile as I thought back to what I had seen at the hospital the previous night, "She texted me this morning telling me she wouldn't be coming in today."

"That lucky boy! He must be over the moon right now. Probably taking advantage of the whole situation too!" Daesung said as he rolled his eyes, "I wonder how long it'll take before CL breaks his other leg..."

"How about we pay him a visit after?" Seunghyun suggested before taking a bite out of Bom's muffin when she wasn't looking.

"Jiyong and I already went to see him yesterday," I said from my position on Jiyong's lap as I  played with the necklace I had bought him, "We might visit him later on, but you guys go first. Jiyong promised to take me to see his parents."

I turned to see Seunghyun looking at the two of us in surprise, "His parents?"

"Yeah," I turned to look at Jiyong, "Right?"

"Mmm.." he hummed as he held a piece of kimbap to my lips.

I eyed him oddly but nevertheless opened my mouth to allow him to feed me.

/bell rings/

"Yah Bom, hurry your this time okay? This yeoja.. takes forever to get out of class," Seunghyun grumbled as he made his way towards the exit of the door.

"Actually.. Seunghyun, you go with Bae and Daesung to see Seungri... I have some stuff to do.." she trailed off.

"Stuff? What stuff? I can wait for you if you want," he said with a frown as he backtracked towards Bom.

"No no, it's okay. It's going to take awhile... Just go out with the guys, and don't come back till 8 okay?" Bom instructed with a nervous smile, as she wringed her hands.

"Why?" he asked as he eyed her suspiciously.

"No reason! So i'll see you at 8 neh? Annyeong!" Bom said hurriedly before racing past him and out of the cafeteria.

"This yeoja..." Seunghyun muttered as he stared after her, shaking his head before following her out of the cafeteria.

== 2 hours later ==

"What are you doing?"

I turned around to see Jiyong lying on my bed on his side, his head propped on his hand with a questioning look on his face.

"I don't know what to wear!" I complained with a pout, "Should I wear this? Or this? Or this?!" I lifted up different outfits to him.

"It--"

"Well I definitely can't wear this!" I threw one of the dresses to the side, "It's way too short... What if they end up thinking I've grown up to be a ?! No no! That won't do."

"This?" I tilted my head to side before scrunching my face up, throwing it on top of the other dress, "This won't do either! I don't want to look like a , but I don't want to look like a primary school kid!"

I continued to rummage through my wardrobe, throwing clothes here and there in a frenzy. I let out a loud sigh of despair as I stepped away from the wardrobe my face in my hands.

It wasn't long before I felt Jiyong's arms wrap around my waist as he turned me around to face him, removing my hands from my face, "Calm down babe."

"I can't just calm down Ji! I haven't seen them in 7 years! I need to leave a good impression!" I turned away from him as I frowned at my now messy wardrobe, a huge pile of clothes both inside and out, the remaining clothes inside barely hanging off the hangers.

Jiyong pulled me back towards him, turning me around to face him again, "You need to calm down. Don't make such a big deal about it. Just wear what you're comfortable in."

"It IS a big deal though Ji!" I whined.

"It shouldn't be. Just be yourself, you didn't see me going Godzilla on my wardrobe when I went to see your parents," he said with a small chuckle.

I pouted as I glared at him, "That's because we were just friends then! Besides I didn't see you getting changed so how do I know you weren't as bad as me?"

"I always knew you were a little . You wanted to see me get changed huh?" Jiyong teased with a smirk.

I blushed, hitting him lightly on this arm, "Nappeun namja, you know what I meant!"

"Yeah yeah my little ert," Jiyong teased as he kissed my cheek.

I buried my head into his chest, as my fears from earlier resurfaced again, "What if they don't like me anymore? What if they don't approve?" I mumbled.

Jiyong sighed heavily as he tightened his arms around me, "Who in their right mind wouldn't like you? Wouldn't love you? If I could, i'd lock you up in a tower so I could have you all to myself. Approval? You don't need anyone's approval but mine and you've already passed with flying colours so stop worrying okay?"

"But--"

"I could really care less. I love you and you're mine, no one is going to get in the way of that," he cut me off as he my cheek lovingly.

I nodded into his chest, my body relaxing against him at his reassuring words. I pulled away slightly to look up at him, "For arguments sake.. What if Omma and Appa didn't like you?" I asked in curiosity.

"Pfft! As if that would happen, everyone loves me," he said cockily, "If they didn't.. I would win them over some how or other, if that fails... I would just kidnap you and we would elope somewhere," he finished nonchalantly with a shrug.

"Yah! Who says I would want to elope with you!" I exclaimed as I bit back a smile.

"You have no say in it. It's not like I'm going to tell you I'm going to kidnap you," he said as he rolled his eyes at me, kissing the tip of my nose before he released me, crouching down to rummage through the pile of discarded clothes.

He straightened up before throwing a pair of jeans and a simple t-shirt at me, "Now get changed."

========

"Crap! Stop the car Ji!" I exclaimed.

"What? Why?" he said in alarm but nevertheless parked up on the side of the curb.

"Oh gosh! I forgot to get your parents something!" I said as I looked at him with wide eyes.

Jiyong rolled his eyes, "Is that it? You almost gave me a heart attack then! Just leave it, it's not necessary."

"NO! It is!" I quickly unbuckled my belt and got out of the car before Jiyong could drive off.

"Babe, get back in the car," he said calmly.

"No! Come on! It won't take long!" I convinced as I edged towards the convenience store.

"You really don't have to Dara. Just get back in the car," he said with a frown.

"I do! I do! You did when you visited Omma and Appa! I have to too! If you aren't going to come with me, then just wait here, I'll be back soon!"

I closed the car door and ran into the store grabbing a basket. I made my way towards the fruit aisle and began to pick out some random fruits.

"Thanks Ji," I said when I felt someone take the basket from my hands.

"You really don't have to," he said before looking down at the basket in alarm, "and you definitely don't need to buy the whole fruit aisle."

I ignored him as I picked up two mangoes, "Ji? Does your Omma like mangos? I can't remember..."

I turned to see him frowning at me before he shrugged, "Dunno."

"What do you mean you don't know!" I asked incredulously.

"I can't remember either," his frown deepened.

"You make it out like you haven't seen her in years or something!" I rolled my eyes at him as I placed the mangoes in he basket, "I'll just get them anyway."

"Hmm... That's enough fruit! Lets go look at some flowers!" I ran off towards the section of flowers with Jiyong quietly following behind me.

"What are your Omma's favourite flowers?" I asked as my eyes scanned all the vibrant colours.

No answer.

"Ji?"

"Huh?" Jiyong looked up at me, startled.

"I said, what are your Omma's favourite flowers?" I repeated.

He frowned again as his eyes flickered to the lilies in my hands.

"Don't tell me you don't know either," I rolled my eyes, as I clicked my tongue in disapproval "Tch! Boys! How can you remember my Omma's favourite flowers but not your own?!"

I was about to walk away with the lilies when Jiyong grabbed them from my hand, placing them back down and grabbing a small bouquet of red roses instead, "I-I think she would like these better," he stuttered with uncertainty in his voice.

I smiled at him, "Okay! Roses it is!"

We made our way towards the checkout and began to place the items on the conveyer belt when--

"OH CRAP! I forgot to get something for Samchon too! What does he like Ji? Pali!" I started to fret as I saw the convert belt begin to move.

"You know, I'll just get him some beer! You stay here Ji!" I ran off before he could say anything, making my way towards the alcohol aisle and grabbing a case of beer.

========

I bit my lip and looked outside the window of the stationary car.

"Is this it?" I asked as I stared at the bungalow. It was small but cute, it gave off a kind of homely feel. I have to say though... I never would've expected Imo and Samchon to go for this kind of house. I mean come on, they owned Kwon enterprise! I know like my parents they were modest about their money, and I know they would never splash out on a huge mansion or anything like that, but a bungalow? There was nothing wrong with it, but I thought they would've gone for something a little bigger, was there even enough room for a whole family to live in there?

"Mmm.." Jiyong hummed as he too stared at the bungalow as if he hadn't been here often.

"Lets go?" I asked questoningly to which I received a robotic nod. I couldn't help but notice that the closer we got to our destination the quieter Jiyong became, as if he were deep in thought.

The both of us exited the car and went towards the boot to retrieve the gifts. Jiyong held onto the fruits and I held onto the flowers.

"Ji, could you grab the beers?" I asked as I saw him make a move to close the boot.

I watched with curiosity as he glared at the beers, muttered something under his breath before letting out a heavy sigh and carelessly grabbing the beers.

We slowly made our way towards the front door, my heart was beating wildly in nervousness. I wonder if this is how Jiyong felt when he was seeing my parents again after seven long years.

The both of us stared at the door, neither one of us making a move to signal our arrival. I looked over at Jiyong to see him biting his bottom lip in nervousness, his eyes transfixed on the door.

I cradled the bouquet of flowers in one arm and made a move to knock on the door.

/knock knock/

"They do know I'm coming right?" I asked with uncertainty as I heard light footsteps make their way towards the door.

"No." Jiyong replied just as the door flung open to reveal Jiyong's Omma. She looked just as she had seven years ago, aside from maybe a few white and grey hairs here and there and the tell-tale wrinkles, a sign of aging. 

"Jiyong! I'm so glad you're here! I didn't think you would-- Dara?" 

I frowned as I looked between them, Jiyong whose eyes were cast down to the floor and Imo who was staring at me in shock. She didn't think he would what? I shook away the thought as I gave her an awkward smile.

"Dara!" she exclaimed as she pulled me into a tight hug, almost knocking the wind out of my lungs, "You look so beautiful! You definitely took after your mother!"

I blushed at her words as I returned the hug, "Thank you Imo. You look wonderful too, age has treated you well. You look just the same." I complimented her.

"Aigoo! Don't flatter me!" she giggled as she pulled away from the hug.

"These are for you," I presented her the flowers.

Her eys lit up as she looked at them, "These are beautiful, my favourites, thank you Dara!"

"Yeah, Jiyong helped me pick them."

She turned to look at Jiyong with shock, a nervous smile on her face.

"Omma," he simply greeted.

"Ah! Come in, come in! Don't just stand outside!" she opened the door wider ushering the both of us in.

The interior of the bungalow was just as I expected. It gave a cosy and warm feeling. A feeling of 'home'.

She led us into the front room which I presumed was the living room, gesturing for the both of us to sit.

"I really didnt expect for you to come back so soon Jiyong, let alone bring Dara with you!" she exclaimed as she sat opposite us, "When did you guys gets back in touch? Either way, it's great to see you two finally getting along! I never thought I would see the day where the two of you weren't squabbling with each other!"

I smiled at her as I grabbed Jiyong's hand, her eyes immediately following my movement, zoning in on our rings, her eyes widening as parted slightly in shock, "Omo! Omo Omo Omo!"

"Are you two...?" she whispered in shock as she her eyes flickered from me, to Jiyong then back to our intertwined hands.

A bright smile lit my face as I nodded happily at her, causing her to jump up from her seat and clap in happiness, "Finally! Finally! I was happy to think that you guys were just friends... but this?! I'm over the moon! Do you know how long your Omma and I have waited for this to happen?"

"Eh?" I tilted my head in confusion.

"You know, Appas used to doubt us and always told us to stop fantasising but look! You proved us right and them wrong!" she said cheerfully as she sat back down, happiness radiating from her.

Jiyong coughed slightly before briefly glancing at his Omma, "You said that the TV was broken? Which room?"

"Oh! Yes, in my room. I didn't want to bother you but I didn't really know what to do, or who else to call... I'm so glad you came!" she beamed at him.

What is she talking about? Couldn't Samchon fix it? If not.. what was so wrong with asking your own son to look at something for her?

"Yeah..." Jiyong trailed off as he stood up, unlocking our fingers, "I'll go have a look at it."

Before either of us could say anything Jiyong was out of the room and climbing up the small stairs to the attic where I presumed was Imo and Samchon's room.

"I'm so glad Jiyong has you Dara, I couldn't have wished for a better woman for my son," she said, giving me a motherly smile.

I returned the smile, not really sure how to respond.

"So.. Erm... Jiyong said he moved back here about two months ago? I assume Dami unnie, you and Samchon did too?" I asked in curiosity, since Jiyong never really told me.

She looked at me in surprise, her lips parted slightly in shock before she shook her head giving me an awkward smile, "Actually... I moved back here three years ago."

My eyes widened in surprise, "T-three years ago?" Three years? Then why did Jiyong tell me two months? Did he lie to me? Unless he stayed in Japan? Why would he stay if his family moved back?

"Samchon and Dami too? What about Jiyong? Did he stay in Japan?" I asked my eyes falling on the crate of beer Jiyong had placed by my feet before I looked around the room, taking a quick peek outside of the living room to see if I could spot Samchon, "Where is Samchon? Is he at work?"

"Has Jiyong not told you?" she whispered softly, her eyes showing hints of sadness.

"Told me? Told me what?" I said my eyebrows knitted together.

"Jin-Sang and I... We're divorced."

Seunghyun's POV

My eyes followed Bom as she walked out of the university and across the parking lot, her eyes landing briefly on my car, causing me to slide down further in my seat in order to not be seen. I sat back up slightly when I saw her turn back around.

"Where is this yeoja going?" I mumbled to myself.

/knock knock/

"Yah Hyung, what are you doing?"

I jumped slightly in shock before winding my window down to see Bae and Daesung peering in at me.

"Yeah, why are you slouching? Trying to look all inconspicuous? You look kind of creepy hyung," Daesung said as he gave me a weirded out look.

I sat back up, straightening out my jacket, "I don't know what you're talking about, I just er.. dropped my keys."

"Your keys are there," Bae pointed to the keys that were oh so conveniently dangling by my steering wheel. Damn it.

"Oh, my mistake," I glared at him.

I watched in alarm as Youngbae walked around the car and opened the passenger door slightly.

"YAH! What are you doing?!" I exclaimed as I leaned over grabbing the door and slamming it closed.

"Er... car pooling?" he said as he scratched his head in confusion.

"What for?"

"I thought we were going to see Seungri? That's what you said at lunch."

"Why can't you go with Daesung?"

"He's going to pick up Minzy first, I figured you and I could head down there before them." he said as he made a move to open the door again.

I slammed the locks on the door, "Change of plan. I can't make it. I have err.. plans. You two go, and tell the rat i'll visit him another time."

Before either of them could say anything I jammed the key in and started the ignition before backing out of the car park. Yeah, I know, i'm a bad hyung.

I looked around, my eyes scanning the roads for a certain red head, hoping she hadn't gone too far. It didn't take a genius to know what she was up to. She was going to try and poison me tonight with what she claimed as 'food'. Of course I could just leave her to it, and go and visit the rat like a good hyung, but I was intrigued to see why she would need a whole five hours to prepare for a single meal. What was she going to make? A banquet?

"Bingo!" I said with a smile when I finally spotted her, "Hmm.. convenience store..." I went round the block and parked the car on a different street, on the off chance that she may spot my car later and become suspicious.

I grabbed a scarf and a pair of sunglasses, donning the both on before walking around to enter the same convenience store she had entered earlier. To say I was gaining weird looks was an understatement. I mean I was wearing sunglasses on a day where there was barely any sun, with a scarf covering half of my face.

Okay Seunghyun, time to go into ninja mode!

I hummed the mission impossible tune as I stealthily hid behind shelves, subtly looking down each aisle until my eyes finally landed on the red headed girl I was looking for. I quickly hid behind a shelf as I peered around at her. In such a short space of time she had already filled up the trolley half full.

Hmmm... lets see... carrots... baby formula... icecream... batteries... chocolate... talcum powder... crisps... corn... what the hell is she planning on making with these weird ingredients?!

I leaned my back against the shelf my neck turning to peek at her every so often.

"Cute," she had two packets, one in each hand, frowning and pouting at the both of them as if she were having some internal dilemma.

"Ahjussi, what are you doing?"

"HOLY SH--" I jumped back in shock, almost knocking the shelf and it's contents over. I placed a hand over my beating heart as I took a quick glance at Bom. I sighed in relief when I saw that she was still staring at the two packets in heavy concentration, having not seen or heard me.

"Ahjussi?" I felt a small tug on my jacket.

I looked down to see a small boy with a lollipop in hand, staring up at me in curiosity.

"Yah! Ahjussi? I'm not that old!" I complained as I glared down at the boy.

"What are you doing Ahjussi?" he repeated, before shoving the lollipop in his mouth.

"Nothing.." I said, somewhat nervous at the little boys question, as if I had been caught doing something bad.

He looked unconvinced as he leaned to the right looking down the aisle Bom was at before standing straight and looking me in the eye again, "Are you looking at the pretty noona?"

"Pfft! What? No!" I denied, as I waved my hands around before picking up a random packet from the shelf, "I'm shopping. Now run along little boy."

"Aren't you a bit old for those?" he tiled his head in curiosity as he pointed at the packet in my hand.

"Pssh! No one is ever too old for..." I looked down at the packet in my hand, mentally slapping myself, "... pacifiers.."

"It's okay ahjussi. Noona is very pretty," he said as he his lollipop happily.

"I don't know what you're talking about, I don't know that noona," I denied as I crossed my arms over my chest, not appreciating this little boys interrogation.

"Why don't you just talk to her?" he asked in curiosity.

"Talk to her? Why would I want to do that? I don't even know her," I lied as I placed the packet back down on the shelf.

"Do you want me to talk to her?" he offered before making a move to walk towards Bom, "Pretty Noon--"

I clamped a hand over his mouth and dragged him back, glancing over at Bom to see she hadn't heard the brat calling for her.

"Yah! You little brat! What are you doing?" I reprimanded him as I removed my hand from his mouth.

He shrugged innocently at me, "I was helping you to talk to your pretty noona friend."

"I told you, I don't know that noona!" I vehemently denied again.

"Oh? Are you one of those bad people Omma always talks about?" he asked with a frown.

"Bad people? What bad people?"

"Erm.. what was the word.." his eyebrows furrowed as he looked down at the floor in deep thought, "St... St.. Stalker?"

My eyes bulged out of their sockets at being called a stalker by this.. what five year old?!

"No! I am not a stalker!" I refuted as I straightened out my jacket, sending a small glare to the irritating boy.

"Oh.. but.. you keep looking at pretty noona and you said you don't know her.." his eyebrows creased in confusion.

"I already told you! I wasn't looking at her!" I exclaimed in annoyance, my patience thinning.

"Yoogeunnie!"

The boy turned his head towards the sound.

"Yoogeun! What are you doing! I told you not to speak to strangers!" a woman said in alarm as she grabbed the boys hand quickly dragging him away from me.

"I was just helping him Omma. I don't think he knows that he's a stalker," the boy said innocently.

The womans eyes widened as she sent me a dirty look, "You should be ashamed of yourself!" she reprimanded before quickly dragging him away muttering under her breath as she shook her head.

"Tch! Good riddance! Little brat! Me? Stalker!?" I scoffed, "Ashamed? Of what?! I did nothing wrong!". I turned back around to see a few older people near by sending me similar dirty looks as they shook their heads in disgust. I shoved the sunglasses further up my nose and tightened the scarf around my neck and face. Stupid Park Bom. This is all your fault.

I glanced at her to see she had decided on both packets and was pushing the trolley further down the aisle. I continued to watch as she picked up another two packets, pouting again as her face showed obvious confusion. She placed the both of them down before rummaging in her coat pocket.

I watched her brows furrow in confusion before her face took on a look of panic as she pulled her pockets inside out.

"Where is it? Where is it?!" I heard her say frantically as she grabbed her bag and started to rummage through. She looked like she was on the verge of tears when she received a call. She quickly picked up the phone and began to speak hurriedly into it.

My brows knotted in concern, as I looked away wondering what she had lost that was so important. My eyes traveled back to her, my brows raising at her elated face as she shoved her phone into her pocket.

I quickly hid behind the next aisle as I saw her barrel back down the aisle, pushing the trolley towards the check out hurriedly.

I walked around the aisle, which was probably a good idea since that mother of that stupid brat was talking to security who was eyeing me warily. , best quicken up my pace, he's coming over! I breathed a sigh of relief when I safely made it out, making my way towards the car. I hopped in and quickly drove around, hiding behind the corner so I could clearly see her.

I watched as she walked out with two bags. I expected her to walk towards the apartment but instead she placed the bags on either side of her as she crossed her arms, leaning against the store as if she were waiting for someone.

My fingers tapped the steering wheel in a rhythmless beat as I looked around, to see who it could possibly be that she was waiting for.

My fingers stilled as they curled around the steering wheel tightly my jaw clenching, my eyes turning into slits as I watched the scene unfold before me.

Bom pushed herself off of the store as a tall male crossed the road, opening her arms to bring him into a hug, her face a picture of happiness. I could hear my heavy breathing as I watched his arms wrap around her slim waist, bringing her flush against him. It was only for a second but I felt jealousy rush through me. I should've looked away but my eyes remained transfixed on the both of them.

They pulled away from each other, the man digging into his pockets, pulling out a folded up piece of paper and handing it to her. I watched in horror as she jumped up and down in happiness before flinging herself at him again in a tight hug.

At this point I figured Bom had gotten what she wanted from the guy and he would leave, but no. Instead he put his arm around her shoulder as if he had done it before, guiding her towards the bags. The both of them bent over, picking up a bag each before walking away from the store and in the direction of our apartment. To any stranger they looked like a happy couple, and that thought ing hurt me to the core.

"What the are you playing at Park Bom?" I snarled, "So this is why you didn't want me back till 8 huh? You wanted to bring a guy back to our apartment? My apartment? You wanted me out of the way so you could play around with another guy?"

I felt like I had been slapped. Hard. Sure, I hadn't told her directly that I was giving her a chance, but weren't my actions more than obvious? Could she not see how I was slowly opening up my heart to her again? How hard I was trying to not act as emotionless as I usually was? How I was trying to return back to my normal self? The self I was before she broke me?

No, she clearly didn't. Or did she? Did she know? Did she know but chose not to care? Either way, it was obvious that her feelings towards me had changed. Or did she even have feelings for me in the first place? Was it all just a game to her? 

I glared at their backs as I blinked back the tears. It was bad enough to see her walking off with another guy, but to know she was bringing him back to our apartment? That was just low.

I looked away as I quickly the ignition, shifting into gear and slamming my foot on the accelerator. I had to get away from here.

========

Dara's POV

"We're divorced."

I blinked at her in shock, as I let the words fully sink in.

"D-divorced?" I whispered as I looked at her to see her eyes were no longer on me. I slowly turned my head to see the back of Jiyong as he stormed away from the door.

"Jiyong..." I called out to him as I stood up from the sofa.

"Go to him Dara. He needs you."

I immediately left the room looking around in search for Jiyong. I entered the kitchen, he wasn't there. I entered the dining room, he wasn't there. I turned to leave when my eyes caught his blonde hair moving slightly in the wind.

I slowly made my way towards the glass door, sliding it open as I let myself out into the garden, closing it behind me.

Even from here, just looking at his back, the way his head was tilted down, his shoulders slumped as he stared at the ground, I could tell this was a sore topic for him.

I slowly approached him as I gently wrapped my arms around his waist from the back.

"Why didn't you tell me Ji?" I mumbled into his back.

I felt him let out a soft sigh, "I didn't see the need."

"You should've told me, I would've helped you through it..." I trailed off as I tightened my hold around him.

He let out a bitter laugh, "Really Dara? Would you really have? You could barely stand to be around me when we met again, I highly doubt you would've been willing to listen to me. You were happy that I was out of your life. You wouldn't have wanted to listen to my pitiful life. You wouldn't have cared."

I bit my lip, knowing I couldn't deny what he said. It was the truth. Would I really have listened to Jiyong if he had randomly popped up out of the blue? No, I wouldn't have.

Jiyong let out another humour-less laugh, "See? Even you can't pretend that you would've cared. Just like everyone else. No one cared back then, no one cares now."

"What are you talking about Jiyong? Of course people cared!" I refuted, "Your Appa, Your Omma, Dami, your friends... me..."

"Appa? Don't talk about that bastard to me. Omma? If she cared, where has she been in the past three years of my life? Dami? She barely has time for me anymore. Friends? What friends? I had no friends Dara." he turned around as he my cheek, "You care now Dara, but back then..."

I let out a little gasp as I stared into his eyes, eyes that were over flowing with pain, loneliness, longing...

"You know.. I can still vividly remember how it all happened," he whispered, his eyes taking on a far away look, the pain in his eyes intensifying.

~ Flash back to 3 years ago ~

Third Person POV

A 15 year old Jiyong tiredly let himself into his house after another, mundane day at school. Even after 4 years of being here, he still hadn't settled down. Sure there were some kids that he called 'friends' but deep inside, he knew no one could ever replace his friends in Korea, he knew that these so called 'friends' were only chummy with him because of his family's wealth and status. He wasn't stupid.

He took of his shoes, a small smile emerging from his face as a thought hit him, 'At least today Omma and I are going to go out.' It was one of the very few things Jiyong now looked forward to, time with his mother. Over the years the gap between him and his father had grown even further apart, but the bond between him and his mother had gotten stronger, almost at the expense of his relationship with his father.

He frowned as he rounded the corner hearing the tell-tale sounds of loud arguing, he slid his bag off of his shoulders as he continued down the hallway of the massive house. A house that was much too large for their small family, a house that only ever housed two people, rarely ever three.

As he drew closer to the loud screams he could pick out the distinctive voice of his mothers, and another a man. The voice of his father, but then again he could be wrong. It had been too long since he had seen or even heard from his father. He couldn't even remember the last time he had come home, the last time he had spoken to him, the last time the three of them had sat down for a family dinner. Not like he cared, the man who he called 'Appa' was no more than a stranger to him. He could walk past him down the street and not know who the hell he was - it had been that long.

"I'm sick Jin-Sang! I'm sick and tired of this life!"

"Isn't this what you wanted Jae-Hwa? A life of riches?!"

"No! Never! That was you! Always you!"

"Don't try and push it all on me! I never saw you complaining when I would shower you with gifts!"

"That was before, this is now! I don't want any of this! None of it!"

"Then what do you want?!"

"I want my family back! When was the last time we were all under one roof? When was the last time you came home for dinner? When was the last time you came home, kissed me on the forehead, told me you loved me? When was the last time you talked to Dami on the phone? When was the last time you talked to Jiyong? The last time you took interest in him? In me? In your family? When was the last time you ing cared?!"

"You think I don't care? What do you think i'm working for? For my bloody family!"

Jiyong hid behind a wall as he peeked over seeing Jae-Hwa pacing up and down in front of Jin-Sang. It was the first time in a long time he had laid his eyes on his Appa, and even he couldn't deny how tired he looked. Just as tired as his Omma.

"Family? Do you even know what that word means anymore? It's always work work work with you!"

"What do you want from me?! You can't have everything! I'm trying my best here!"

"Trying your best? Coming home for the first time in 6 months isn't called trying your ing best!"

"I've told you time and time again Jae-Hwa! I'm busy!"

"Busy? Busy doing what?! Maybe doing this?!"

Jiyong watched as his Omma threw a bunch of photos onto the floor, all of them scattering on the granite flooring, one of them gliding close to his hiding spot. He peeked up at his parents before slowly reaching out to grab it.

His brows furrowed as he looked at the photo, it was a picture of his Appa leaving a house. He bit his lip as he racked his brain.. This was a familiar house... whose was it...

"Where did you get these?"

"Why? Scared? Scared that you've been caught screwing around?!"

"I said! Where the did you get these?!"

"Does it bloody matter!? I never thought you would stoop this low. Cheating on me with one of your most trusted friends wives?! That's just ing low!"

Jiyong's eyes widened as he looked at the photo, no wonder it looked so familiar, that house belonged to Mr and Mrs Sang. He squinted his eyes as he looked at the woman at the door. His eyes rounded further as he saw Mrs Sang in a robe. His eyes flickered to the top right hand corner where the time was displayed. 03:49AM.

"Yes it does matter! Who gave you these?!" Jin-Sang roared.

"No! It doesn't matter! It's obvious it's true! You haven't even tried to deny it!" 

Jiyong stared at the two of them in shock, his heart beating painfully at the scene that was ufnolding before him. What was this? Was this really happening? This was just a horrible nightmare right? He was going to wake up and everything would be okay. Right?

"Jae-Hwa--"

"NO! I don't want to hear it! I'm sick! I'm sick and tired of this life you've created for me. I don't want this. I don't want any of this!"

"Then what the do you want from me?!"

"A DIVORCE!"

Jiyong leaned against the wall for support as the dreaded word finally left his mother's mouth. He wasn't stupid. He knew his family was far from happy. His Appa rarely came home. His Omma was often seen moping around. His noona, sent away to a boarding school, leaving him all alone. But he never thought it would ever reach this, or rather he wished it would never reach this. All he ever wanted was a happy family. Was that too much to ask for?

"You want a divorce? Fine i'll ing give you a divorce."

/slap/

Jiyong straightened up when he heard the unmistakeable sound of skin upon skin. His hands balled up into fists, his eyes turning into slits at the sight of his mother sitting on the floor, clutching her red cheek, his father hovering above her.

Jiyong shot out from his spot as he stood infront of his mother protectively, glaring at his so called father with overwhelming hatred and contempt, "Don't you dare lay another one of your filthy hands on her you bastard."

"What did you just call me?!" Jin-Sang glared at his son in anger.

"I said, you BAST--"

"Jiyong! Don't call your father that!" Jae-Hwa reprimanded.

Jiyong whirrled around to look down at his mother in disbelief, "Omma! Why are you defending him?!"

"He's still your father--"

"This man is no father of mine. I lost my father years ago. I have no father." Jiyong spat out as he turned to glare at the man he used to call 'Appa'.

He turned around, bending down to help his mother up, "Come on Omma, lets go."

~ End of Flashback ~

Dara's POV

"J-Jiyong.." I stuttered as tears continued to fall from my face. I can't believe it. I honestly can't believe it. Samchon cheated on Imo? That.. no.. I can't.. he would never... I can't believe this.

Jiyong let out a bitter laugh, "Sad huh? Oh how I love my life."

"I'm so sorry.." I cupped his cheek in my hand, as I looked into his eyes. I can't believe he went through so much alone. Seeing his family fall apart before his own eyes, hearing his parents arguing, finding out about his father.

Jiyong sighed as he wiped my tears away, "What are you sorry about? I'm over it anyway."

Althought he tried to act nonchalant about it, I knew better. He had really been scarred. Now I knew why he would always explode when I would bring up his family, why he would immediately turn from warm and happy, to cold - ice cold.

I wanted to call his bluff, tell him I knew he wasn't over it, but I didn't have the heart to. Instead I wrapped my arms around him squeezing him close to me as I buried my head in his chest.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there for you Jiyong, I wish I was there to comfort you," I mumbled into his chest.

"It's okay, you're here for me now, and that's all that matters," he whispered back as he leaned his cheek on my head.

I bit my lip, there was still one question that I really wanted to ask, I just wasn't sure if right now was appropriate.

"Go on, what is it?" Jiyong said, as if he read my mind.

"No it's okay."

"Just spit it out Dara, might as well do everything in one go," he said tiredly as he pulled away to wipe away more of my tears that hadn't been wiped away by his t-shirt.

"Your Omma... you said she wasn't there for you.. Earlier on.. it just feels like--"

"Like I haven't seen her in a long time? Like I barely know her?" Jiyong finished off for me.

I nodded my head at him as a sad smile emerged.

"That's probably because I haven't. This is the second time i've seen her in three years."

~ Flashback to 3 years ago ~

Third Person POV

It had been a whole week since Jiyong had watched his parents argue. A whole week since he'd seen his mother request a divorce. A divorce that would officially break up their already broken family. He was still living in the massive empty house that he was supposed to call 'home'. He avoided his father, not that he needed much effort to do so. His father had left after his mother had requested a divorce and hadn't come back since, but Jiyong couldn't risk seeing him. He couldn't risk the anger that would boil over at seeing the man he so loathed. He hated how he shared DNA and blood with such a person. He knew if he even had a glimpse of him he would flip out and loose control and he didn't want to give the cheating bastard the satisfaction.

Jae-Hwa had packed her bags on that fateful day and had left to stay at an apartment that she had temporarily rented out. Jiyong went to visit her everyday, practically living there. If it wasn't for the fact that the apartment only had one bedroom, and his Omma wouldn't allow him to sleep on the sofa, Jiyong would've stayed there with her. He hated coming back to this empty shell of a house. It was cold and dark, it only highlighted the loneliness he felt.

Jiyong was making his way to his Omma's apartment, dropping by the shops to buy some fruit as his mother had requested. He arrived at the small apartment to see his mother in the kitchen cooking a meal.

"Omma," he greeted as he placed the fruit on the table.

"Ah, you're here?"

Jiyong's smile dropped as he looked into his mother's red eyes, as Jae-Hwa quickly made a move to wipe away her tears, not wanting Jiyong to see, but failing miserably. Jiyong's jaw clenched in anger as he saw the pain and hurt in his mother's eyes, reflecting the way he was feeling right now, only he was better at hiding it. He needed to stay strong for his mother.

"Yeah," he simply replied as he looked away from Jae-Hwa, not being able to take her pain as well as his own, that was just too much for him to handle.

He silenlty watched as she turned her back to him to continue cooking. It wasn't long before Jiyong saw his mother's shoulders shake up and down, a tell-tale sign that she was crying. Jiyong closed his eyes, his fists balling up into fists as he swallowed the lump in his throat.

'Don't cry Jiyong. Omma needs you to be stay strong. Do this for her.' he thought to himself. He exhaled as he blinked back the tears that threatened to fall at seeing his Omma in pain, on top of his own pain.

Jiyong slowly reached out and turned his mother around pulling her into a hug, "It's okay Omma. You have me."

Jae-Hwa broke down at Jiyong's reassuring words. When had her baby boy grown up to become a man? Any mother would be happy to see their son maturing so quickly, but not Jae-Hwa no. To her, Jiyong didn't deserve any of this. He was only 15, he shouldn't have any of these worries, he should be out playing with his friends, discovering his likes and dislikes, talking to girls, not this. Not seeing his family fall apart in front of his very eyes. Not having to watch his mother, the person who is supposed to be his rock, fall apart in his arms. It shouldn't be like this, it should be the other way round. She should be the one who comforts him when he has a falling out with his friends. She should be the one who hugs him and reassures him when he has his first heartbreak.

"I'm sorry Jiyong, you don't deserve this. I'm sorry Omma couldn't give you a happy family," Jae-Hwa apologised. She should've known moving to Japan was a bad move. She should've known this would've happened. She should've seen the signs. She should've seen how Jin-Sang was already spending too much time at work instead of at home, it just got a hundred times worse in Japan than in Korea. She should've fought harder, convinced Jin-Sang to stay in Korea, where they were all happy. She wasn't stupid, she knew her son well enough to know that in the four years they had been here, there wasn't a single day that he was truly happy.

"Don't apologise Omma. It's not your fault. When Dami comes back, the three of us, we'll live together okay? We don't need him." Jiyong reassured his mother as he rubbed her back comfortingly.

At those words Jae-Hwa clutched onto Jiyong harder, wishing that those words could come true, but she knew, it was something she would never have. A proper family, something she so craved for, she knew she couldn't have it - didn't deserve it. She bit back another cry as she thought of how Jiyong would react when she told him.

After a while Jae-Hwa's cries calmed and she pulled away for Jiyong, wiping away the last of her tears before offering the best smile she could muster.

"I'm cooking your favourite tonight," Jae-Hwa said as happily as she could.

Jiyong nodded robotically as he grabbed the bag of fruits and began to work on them. The both of them working side by side in silence.

Other than the fact that Jae-Hwa and Jin-Sang had officially seperated, there really was no other real difference in Jiyong's life. If it wasn't for the fact that everyday he would see his mother's red eyes that told him she was crying then he could've pretended that life was much the same. It was always him and Jaw-Hwa anyway, nothing much had really changed, except Jiyong could no longer pretend that he had a happy family.

That night the both of them ate in silence, much like the previous day, only this time, mid-meal Jae-Hwa placed her chopsticks down, coughing to gain Jiyong's attention.

"Jiyong. I'm moving back to Korea." she simply said her eyes searching his.

To her utter surprise Jiyong's eyes lit up like a christmas tree, a real smile on his face, one she hadn't seen in a long time.

"Really? When? What about Dami? Are we going to wait for her first?" Jiyong blabbered excitedly.

Jae-Hwa's shoulders slumped as she stared at her son in saddness. He had misunderstood.

"Jiyong. I'm moving back to Korea. Alone." she repeated.

Jiyong's smile immediately vanished as he abruptly stood up from the table, "What?"

"I'm going back, on my own Jiyong. You're going to stay here." Jae-Hwa explained as she tried her best to control her voice from trembling.

"WHAT?! NO! Why?!" he exploded as he stared down at his mother in disbelief.

Jae-Hwa bit her lip as she stared at her son, trying her hardest not to break down again, "You have to stay here Jiyong. You need to stay with your Appa."

"WHAT! I told you! I don't have an Appa! I'm coming with you! You can't leave me here! Not with that bastard! You can't!" Jiyong cried out as he began to pace up and down.

"He's still your appa Jiyong, don't call him a bastard," Jae-Hwa reprimanded, only to receive a glare of anger from her son, causing her to immediately shut up.

"NO HE ISN'T! I'll call him whatever the I want!" he exploded as he kicked the table, "No! I'm coming with you! You can't leave me here!"

"Jiyong! Please, listen to me! You have to stay here with your Appa. You're the heir to the business, you need to help him--"

"I don't want it! I don't ing want it! I don't want that life! I don't want anything to do with that bastard! Why don't I get a choice in this?!"

"Jiyong, listen--"

"No! I won't listen!! This is my life! Why can't people stop deciding what I should do and where I should go?! I don't want to stay here, stay here with that cheating bastard! I want to go with you Omma!"

"I'm sorry Jiyong but--"

"Sorry? No! You aren't leaving me here! If you're staying here, i'll stay here. If you're going, i'm going! You're all I have left Omma! You can't leave me!" Jiyong cried out in despair as his legs gave out under him, causing him to fall to his knees. Tears falling from his eyes, trailing down his face. It was the first time he had cried since he had witnessed his mother demanding a divorce. He had stayed strong for his mother, he had held back all his pain and tears but now, everything just flooded out in a torrent of pain, hurt and anger. The prospect of having his mother leave him... he just couldn't bare the thought of it. He didn't have his sister, he didn't have his friends, all he had was his mother and now she was saying she was going to leave him too? He just couldn't take another blow.

Jae-Hwa silently cried as she watched her son fall apart in front of her. She just wanted to blurt out that she was joking, that he was going to go with her, but she couldn't. She wanted to stay with him, but she couldn't do it. Staying away from her motherland had taken a toll on her, she had to go back, she needed to go back. She couldn't take him with her either, as much as she wanted to, she couldn't be so selfish. She had to think of his future, it was better if he stayed here, where Jin-Sang could provide for him properly, where he would inherit the business and get what he deserved. 

"You can't leave me Omma... you can't..." Jiyong whispered in pain. Hearing those words full of pain Jae-Hwa immediately went over to her son, bringing him into a tight hug. At that moment, he was no longer the mature man that had reassured her earlier, but the small little boy that was hurting over his broken family.

Jae-Hwa closed her eyes, feeling her heart beat painfully as she gave him the biggest lie she had ever told, "Okay, I promise. Omma won't leave you."

========

Jiyong was once again making his way back to his mother's apartment. It had been a week since he had cried in front of his mother, showing her just how vulnerable and crushed he really was. Of course it somewhat hurt his ego to have been see in that state, but who really cares? After all she was his mother, she'd seen him in worse states than that and it was worth it. It was worth it to convince her to not leave him.

Jiyong made a move to knock on his mother's apartment only for the door to open at his light tapping. Jiyong frowned as he pushed the door open a little more. 'Why is the door open? Has Omma's apartment been broken into?!' Jiyong thought in panic.

He slammed the door open as he dropped the small bouquet of roses he had bought for her, looking around the empty apartment.

"!" he cursed, his Omma had been robbed! Everything was gone!

"OMMA?!" Jiyong called in worry, what if the robbers had hurt her? Kidnapped her? Done something to her? He wasn't here to protect her! Jiyong ran into his mother's room to see it was just as empty, the bed sheet made. 

"OMMA!?" Jiyong called again, as he stood in the middle of the empty apartment. It was a bit too tidy and clean for a robbery, why was there no mess? No chairs knocked over? No broken pieces of glass?

Dread filled him as a thought crossed his mind, his eyes widening in fear.

"No... No... NO!" Jiyong screamed out in pain as he ran back into his mother's room, wrenching the wardrobe open only to see it bare and hollow, much like how his heart felt right now.

"OMMA!!!" Jiyong screamed as he looked around wildly, his eyes crazed, "OMMA! WHERE ARE YOU??! STOP HIDING! THIS ISN'T FUNNY!"

"OMMA! COME OUT!"

"Please Omma... Please!"

"You're just hiding right Omma? Right?" he whispered painfully, "Please come out now.. it's not funny.. please..."

"Omma... you promised... you told me you wouldn't leave me! YOU PROMISED!" Jiyong screamed out as his legs gave out under him, his hands gripping the roots of his hair painfully. Not that he could feel it over the sound of the last part of his heart breaking.

How could she do this to him? She promised him! Why? Why did everyone love to leave him? Was he just that unloveable? Why would his own mother abandon him? Leave him high and dry? Did she even love him? If she did, could she not see how much he needed her?

"OMMA!" Jiyong let out another anguished cry.

========

Jiyong stood up, he was physically and emotionally drained his eyes red and puffy from crying. He glanced around the vacant room, what was left of his heart giving out a dull thud. His eyes spotted a small envelope placed atop of the side desk beside what was his mother's bed, his name written clearly on the envelope.

He slowly made his way towards the desk, shakily picking up the envelope, debating with himself whether he should read it or not. If he did, everything would seem more real. If he didn't, he could pretend his Omma was just out shopping, that she had really been robbed and she was going to come back so that the two of them could live together.

Jiyong scoffed at the last thought, could he really pretend? He exhaled loudly as he took the letter out of the envelope, carefully unfolding it before his eyes scanned over his mother's familiar handwriting.

Jiyong-ah... Omma... Omma is sorry. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't keep the promise I made to you. I'm only doing what I think is best for you. You need to stay here with your Appa. Promise me you won't come looking for me. Hopefully, in the future when you've turned into the fine young man that I know you'll become, maybe then we'll see each other again.

I love you Jiyong, never forget that.

Love Omma.

A single tear fell onto the short letter, smudging the words 'I love you' into an unreadable black smudge. Jiyong's jaw clenched as he crumbled the letter up into a ball under his fist.

"You didn't keep your promise to me, why should I promise you that?" With the letter gripped tightly in his fist Jiyong stormed out of the empty apartment, stepping on the bouquet of roses, and ran back to his 'home' where he quickly packed a small bag of clothes, slinging it over his shoulder. He grabbed his passport from his draw before taking one last look around his dark room,  filled with meaningless crap, where he had spent four years of loneliness.

He got into a taxi and before he knew it he was stood in Tokyo national airport, his passport tightly gripped in one hand and his mother's letter in the other.

"I'm going to find you Omma." he muttered with determination as he stalked over to the counter.

"Can I buy a ticket for the next flight to Seoul," he asked confidently.

The woman behind the desk raised an eyebrow at him, "Passport please."

Jiyong slid his passport open and watched with a frown as the woman flipped it open, her eyes flickering slightly.

"I'm sorry, but I can't do that."

"What? Why! I have the money!" Jiyong slammed down a large wad of money he had taken from Jin-Sang's room.

The woman pushed the money back towards Jiyong, "I'm sorry sir, but there are strict orders from Mr Kwon."

Jiyong stepped back at the mention of his father's name, as he shook his head in disbelief, "What? No! He has no control over me! He's not my father! I'm not a Kwon!" Jiyong vehemently denied as he shook his head.

Jiyong turned when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He jumped back, slapping the hand away from him in disgust as he glared up at the man that was supposed to be his father.

"Get your filthy hands off of me," Jiyong hissed.

"Come on, lets go home Jiyong," Jin-Sang said calmly, not at all phased by Jiyong's attitude or hatred towards him.

"Home? What home! My home is with Omma!" Jiyong turned around to the woman, "Please.." he pleaded with her.

The woman's eyes softened, she had a son about the same age as Jiyong, and as much as she wanted to help him, the look she received from Mr Kwon was enough to tell her that if she helped the boy in front of her, she would lose her job. She quickly diverted her eyes from Jiyong and began to mindlessly type on the computer, ignoring him.

"Lets go Jiyong." Jin-Sang said again as he once again placed a hand on his shoulder.

Jiyong quickly shook him off and turned to glare at him again, "NO! I will not go! You can't stop me from going!"

Jiyong ran to the next seller, then to the next and then the next. All of them giving him the same answer, "Sorry, but there are specific orders from Mr Kwon."

Jiyong let out a cry of anger as he heard those words again from the last ticket seller, "GET ME A ING TICKET YOU BASTARD!" Jiyong screamed at Jin-Sang as he stormed up to him.

"No Jiyong. I will not."

"You have no right to do this!"

"Yes I do, I am your father--"

"NO YOU'RE NOT!" Jiyong cut him off.

"Not matter how hard you deny it, I am your father, and legally you are under my care. You can not do anything without my consent." Jin-Sang said calmly, not bothered that people were beginning to look at the two of them.

"So what?! Omma has rights too! She's not here to stop me! I can do what I want!" Jiyong shot back.

"No she doesn't."

"Yes she does--"

"Not anymore." Jin-Sang said as he held up a piece of paper.

Jiyong's eyes scanned the paper, his face paling as he took a step away in disbelief. There written in clear black and white was his mother's consent that Jiyong was no longer under her care and that his only guardian now was Jin-Sang.

Jiyong glared at his mother's signature and reached out, grabbing the piece of paper and ripping it into shreds, stepping on the torn pieces for good measure, imagining it as Jin-Sang's face, "You can't stop me!"

"You think ripping that up will make it less true Jiyong? Stop being so immature."

"I ripped it up! You have no proof!"

"Your Omma has the other document, the conditions still holds. See Jiyong? It's useless. Lets just go home."

How could she? How could she sign that? How could she sign him over to the devil? She said she loved him. Why was she forcing him to stay with this bastard? Against his will?

"NO! I refuse! I won't go back to that empty life-less house with you! I won't!" Jiyong protested as he turned his back to him.

"Fine. Stay here then, throw your childish little tantrum, but you aren't getting on a flight tonight, or ever for that matter."

~ End of Flashback ~

Dara's POV

"Imo.. left you?" I whispered in shock, to which Jiyong gave a small nod.

"Yeah, she left me in the care of that bastard." he confirmed his jaw clenching tightly.

"How... how come you're here now then? If..." I trailed off in confusion.

"I'm over 18 now, i'm legally an adult, and he has no control over me," Jiyong smirked slightly, "The minute I turned 18 I wanted to leave that damn house, but I couldn't. I needed to save a bit more money first, so that I could start a brand new life here. As soon as I had enough, I was out of there. I wouldn't be surprised if he still hasn't noticed me gone anyway."

"Save up? I'm sure you had money in the bank from erm.." I trailed off, not really sure if I should still call Jiyong's Appa Samchon.

Jiyong scoffed, "I wasn't going to touch any of that money from that filthy bastard. To this day i've never touched that bank account at all."

"Then.. how did you live?"

Jiyong shrugged, "Like any other person, I got a job."

"But what about school and.."

"I still went, I wasn't stupid. I knew if I came over here I would want to go to university, I knew I needed the grades. I went to school during the day and by night I worked, I saved up every last penny. I was pretty thrifty," Jiyong let out a soft laugh, "You know I ate alot of Ramen back then, since it was cheap. Oddly enough, it always seemed to remind me of you."

"Ramen? Why didn't you eat proper food at home?"

"Like I said, I wasn't going to touch his money. That included anything he brought for the house. Of course my stubborness had to stop somewhere. I did consider moving out... but I knew if that happened I wouldn't save up enough money by the time I turned 18 to leave. So that was one thing I had to up, except for that... no I didn't touch his money. Not once."

"You've been through so much Jiyong... You're an extremely strong person. I'm so proud of you," I murmured as I his cheek lovingly, now fully seeing the extent of tiredness in his eyes, "I really am sorry I wasn't there for you. You shouldn't of had to suffer alone."

Jiyong sighed as he wrapped his arms around me pulling into his chest, "Well the past is the past. You're here now and that's what counts. My home."

Home... This wasn't the first time he had called me his home. I never really understood why he called me that... but now.. now I knew.

I tightened my hold around him, "I will never leave you Jiyong. Never. I love you."


Author's Note:

Annyeong my lovely subscribers! Okay... I honestly don't know how you guys are going to react to Jiyong's past... Disappointed? Sorry if it's not what you guys expected >__< This chapter is a super long one... Two looong flashbacks! It was supposed to be split between Daragon and TOPBOM, but it got too long... So i'm splitting it up so this one is pretty much all Daragon, and the next chapter will be mainly TOPBOM with some more Daragon in it and probably a sprinkling of Ririn. Hope you Enjoyy! ^^

P.S. In case you guys can't remember refer back to Chapter 41, where Jiyong goes to visit his Omma. That was the first time in three years!

~Water Phoenix