Chapter 8

Eyes, the window to the soul

Dara's POV

"Where would you like to go then?" I asked, as he let go of my arm, shoving his hands into his jean pockets, shrugging his broad shoulders.

"Erm, Well I guess we could go to my apartment?" I suggested.

A smirk emerged on his face, "Wow Dara, I never thought you had it in you. Trying to get me to your apartment already eh? Don't you think we're moving a little bit too fast here? I can understand though, I mean you just can't get enough of this can you?" He teased, as he gestured to himself.

I scoffed, "Puh-lease, don't be so full of yourself. CL won't be at home she's gone out with her classmates, I just figured it'd be a quiet place to do the assignment."

"Ahh, so it would just you and me alone huh? I don't know... you might me or something. Who knows what kind of a person you've grown up to become" he accused.

"WAAAHT?! Me? you? Dream on! I wouldn't touch you with a 10 foot barge pole with sh*t at the end," I said in disgust, but I couldn't stop the heat rushing to my face.

"Cute." He said, as I blushed harder.

"Whatever, are you coming or not?!" I stormed off, annoyed.

"You haven't changed much have you? Still the small little shrimp you were back there, maybe a little more fiesty though," he commented, as he fell into step beside me, easily keeping up with my hurried steps. Stupid long legs.

"You haven't changed much either have you?" I mimicked, "Still the arrogant, mean immature boy you were back then."

"Ouch, that cut me real deep Dara," he said sarcastically, clutching at his shirt above his heart. "I don't know how I'll ever go on from that hurtful comment," he continued to tease me.

Ack! Stupid stupid Kwon Jiyong! He's already grating on my nerves and i'd only been in his presence for what... 10 minutes?!

"Quit playing around." We had reached the block of apartments and was now waiting for the elevator.

"Arasso, yeesh... someone can't take a joke," he muttered, as the elevator doors opened and we entered.

I shot him a look, causing him to lift his arms up in 'surrender'.

"So I take it CL and you are still the best of friends huh?" he asked

"Mmmm." I replied, not really in the mood to converse, but we still had 10 levels to go, and I did say I would try to be friends...

"How about you? I heard you're rooming with Seungri... How is he?"

"Yeah.. unfortunately I'm stuck with that rat." he rolled his eyes, "He's taking business too, but he's in a different set."

"Figures. How about the rest of the guys? How're they fairing?" These were safe questions to ask and talk about. Somewhere we had a common ground. I mean I may not have liked him much in my childhood, but I considered his friends to be my friends too, since they were always around his house, I got to know them as my friends as well. They were completely different to him.

The elevator opened and we walked out. I took my keys out of my bag and opened the apartment door.

"They're doing fine. Seunghyun hyung is taking business too. No surprises there. Youngbae.. well he's kind of flitting here and there, and Daesung is taking medecine." I nodded in understanding, not surprised at all by what he had told me. After all, Seunghyun's parents were in business too, owning Seoul's largest shopping mall. Daesung's parents were both Doctors and had their own hospital, so it was a given he'd follow in their footsteps too. Youngbae on the other hand... let's just say I hope he can follow his dreams.

"Want a drink?" I asked as I walked into the kitchen. Hey, I may not like him much right now, but I was always taught to treat guests well. "Sure"

I placed our drinks on the coffee table, then went into my room to grab my laptop. I sat down on the sofa as far away from him as possible. "Right, the sooner we start this the sooner we can finish" I said, as I logged in.

"It would help If I could see the screen," he commented sarcastically, about how far apart we were. I glared at him, but reluctantly scooted closer so that our shoulders were almost burshing each other.

"You know, I don't know why you're bothering to do this. You've always been a goody-two shoes," he remarked.

"Well, I'm sorry If I don't want to get on the bad side of our lecturer who will be teaching me for the next three years. I don't know about you but I want to pass with a high mark." I retorted.

"It's just a piece of paper, you're still going to take over your family business even if you get a high grade or not," he replied, with a hint of an emotion I couldn't quite place. Was that anger?

"It's not just about taking over the family business. I want to bring pride to the Park family. I want my parents to be assured that their baby will be in good hands. I want to do well for my parents, even if they have never asked me to" I explained, a small smile tugging at my face, as I thought of my loving parents.

"Tch! That's the most stupid, pathetic thing I've ever heard. You should be doing it for yourself. If you're only doing this for pride or whatever, and to take on your family business... you're more stupid than I thought you were. What about your dreams and your wishes? You're just going to discard them? I thought you were more ambitious than that, I guess I was wrong," he spat. Woah, why is he getting so angry and riled up about this? Somehow I get the feeling that we were no longer talking about me...

"Woah, Jiyong, calm down. What's up with you?" I said, as I tried to place my hand on his shoulder to calm his random burst of anger. He harshly shrugged off my hand and turned his burning glare to the screen.

"Whatever, let's just get this stupid assignment over and done with, so I can get out of here," he said harshly. I merely nodded. It was obvious that something I had said had triggered this anger. I mean he was playful just a while ago... I wonder... I shook my head slightly. This was none of my business, I should stop thinking about it.

== 5 hours later ==

After Jiyong's outburst we had gotten straight to work with the assignment, talking was kept to a minimum, and we only talked when we had to briefly discuss a point. It had taken a gruelling amount of time to get it finished but it was done. I clicked save, and shut my laptop. I turned to my right to see Jiyong lying back on the sofa, his arm covering his closed eyes.

I looked away and glanced at the living room clock. Omo! It was 20:30PM already?! It took 5 loooong hours! At that time, my stomach conveniently began to grumble. Man... I hadn't eaten since lunch, and now that I realised it... I was starving. I glanced back at Jiyong to see he was observing me. I was glad to see that all signs of anger had disappeared.

"I guess I'll go. It's getting late," he stated as he got up and put on his jacket. He made his way to the door and opened it.

My stomach let off another growl, reminding me of my hunger. If I'm hungy, Jiyong must be hungy too.. Should I...?

On a whim I jumped up from my seat and ran to the door, grabbing it and swinging it open. I popped my head out and glanced left, then right. Jiyong was standing in front of the elevator waiting for it to arrive.

"Yah Kwon! You hungry? I'm going to grab something to eat if you want?" I asked, I mean it's the least I could do... I don't like him or anything, and we are definitely not friends... but today didn't go to bad, maybe was potential to be friends? Besides this is the least I could do, let's just say i'm trying to make up for whatever I said earlier that triggered his outburst.

He whipped his head to look at me in surprise. Before a smirk appeared in his face again as he made his way towards me. "Wae? Trying to take me out on a date now huh?" he teased again.

Annnd he's back.

"Pffft, if that's what you'd like to think then whatever. Lemme just grab my bag." I said, rolling my eyes.

I came out of my apartment, jacket on and bag hanging from my shoulder, to see Jiyong leaning on the wall opposite, eyes closed, hands shoved into his pocket with his head leaned back onto the wall. Damn it. He has swag written all over him.

"Enjoying the view? Maybe you aren't hungry for food.." he teasingly suggested, as his eyes flickered open.

I tried to stop the heat from reaching my cheeks as I turned around with a short hmph. Ignoring him and entering the elevator that had conveniently opened. The jerk stepped in straight after with a chuckle.

We travelled down in silence. Walked out of the block of apartment in silence. Ergh, I don't like awkward silences.

"Soooooo..." I started, as I swung my arms. Damn it.. maybe I should've thought up a conversation first...

"Oh, how's Dami unnie?" I beamed, glad I had managed to think up something. Plus, I really wanted to know how my dear unnie was.

"She's fine." he replied shortly. Tch, way to be stingy with the information.

"How is Sanghyun and Durami?" he asked in turn.

"They're doing good..." I replied, if he's going to be stingy, I will too! Hmph!

We walked in silence until we reached a noodle restaurant.

"Yah, let's eat here. I feel like Jajangmyeon!" I said excitedly as I opened the door, not caring if he was following me in.

"Table for two please," I said to the waitress, when I noticed Jiyong had infact followed me in.

"This way please," the waitress gestured for us to follow her.

We took our seats opposite each other and looked at the menu in silence. Soon the waitress came back and we made our order.

"Jajangmyeon please, and water" I said, as I handed her the menu.

The waitress turned to Jiyong expectantly, "Same," Jiyong said.

Soon we were left on our own, and the akward silence returned.

"I see you still like the same foods. Not much has changed." he commented.

One thing that we did have in common was that we had similar tastes in food. When we were younger we were constantly fighting over our favourite foods.

"So... when did you come back from Japan? Why did you?" I asked, I mean we were going to be here for a while anyway, I may as well try and find out why he was back.

"Two months ago. No particular reason." he answered evasively, as the waitress came back with our drinks.

"I take it you kept in contact with all the boys whilst you were over there?" I asked again.

"Mmm, yeah." Seriously?! I'm trying very, very hard here to try and be friendly, he could at least try too! Fine, if he doesn't want to say anything then I can't make him.

We sat there for 15 minutes as we waited for the food to come.

Finally, a hot steaming plate of jajangmyeon was placed before me. I clapped in glee before I picked up my fork and spoon and began digging in, in abandonment, not minding that a boy was sitting acorss from me. Pffft, it's not like i'm trying to impress him anyway, he's seen me in worse states than when i'm eating messy jajangmyeon. More often than not, he was the one who put me in that state too.

All that could be heard between us were slurps and chewing of the noodles.

"Ahhh! That was jjang!" I exclaimed, as I patted my satisfied tummy.

"You eating like a pig hasn't changed much either," Jiyong commented again.

Hmph!

I made a signal to the waitress for the bill.

Now that I was full, I felt re-energised. Okay, I'll attempt this one more time...

"How are Imo and Samchon? Are they doing well? Did you all move back to Seoul or are they still in Japan?" I rambled a couple of questions, merrily high on jajangmyeon.

I looked at Jiyong expectantly. To my surprised I saw him stiffen, as his eyes hardened and his lips pressed together into a hard line. This... was not the response that I was expecting.

Before I could ask him what was wrong, he abruptly stood up took out his wallet, slammed a couple of notes down and then stormed out of the restaurant. I sat there in utter shock and blinked. What the hell just happened?
 


Author's Note:

Annyeong Yeoruben! Triple update today! Can anybody guess what's up with Ji? I'm not sure if i'll reveal it straight away, or much later into the story ^^
~Water Phoenix