C.9: I Am Happy

Collarge

 

C.9: I Am Happy. 

 

7.45 and I was getting ready. The last day here. One more day before the flight back to the sringes, pills and the stiff bed of the hospital. I heaved a sigh. Starring at my reflection, ‘Well at least there is today.’ I weakly smiled. 

 

Popping in the standard two pills, I shoved them down my throat. Watching the clock tick by, I counted down to life with you and mine. 56...57...58...59...and then the door bell rings. My smile naturally appeared. However the smile was gone when she wasn’t there. Instead, a young boy handed me an envelope. I nodded my head in thanks and shut the door me. Opening it, it simply states to open the door once more and had her initials on it. My eyebrows furrow at the message and opened the door once more. 

 

The same little boy was there however this time he held a pink balloon which says follow me. What is going on? He smiles sweetly and takes my hand. I wonder what she had planned for today. ‘So...Taeyeon gave you a few extra bucks?’ Instead of replying me, he just kept on smiling at me. I’ll take that as a yes. His grin, his silence, well, that combination made me look away in awkward silence.

 

While following the young boy, I caught a sight of her. She was wearing a grey cardigan over her  white button down with a blue polka dot bow tie. The little boy tugged at my hand. When my attention was with him, he handed me the balloon and ran off. Shocked, my eyes only followed his diminishing figure. My loose grip on the balloon caused it to sneak out of my hand. ‘Ms. Your balloon is flying away.’ And there she is. 

 

Now I could see that she had matched her top with black pants and addidas sneakers. With a smile, she stood before me. ‘Ms?’ I smiled back and took the balloon. ‘Thanks.’ I giggled a little at her weird ways. ‘My pleasure.’ She did a little bow like the old english would. Why is she calling me Ms? I looked at her in puzzlement. She motioned for the balloon, so I gave it back. ‘Ms. Would you like follow me?’ My head tilted in confusion. Her index finger innocently pointed at the balloon. Seriously. I shake my head at her nonsensical behaviour.

 

‘Is that your pick up line?’ I decided to play along. ‘Ms. I’m just a humble person asking you to a lunch.’ Laughing out loud, I hook my arm around hers. ‘Yes. I would like to follow you to lunch.’ She nodded her head and looked up. ‘Very well.’ That last two words spoke with a rather bad interpretation of how a french would speak korean.

 

We walked down the streets like linked idiots. In addition, the balloon was like a waving flag that pin pointed the location of the idiots. Even when people stared, Taeyeon confidently walked on while holding the balloon and my hand. It has been long since I felt this secure in someone’s hand. 

 

Soon we arrived at a small shop. She promptly deflated the ballon and folded it into her pocket. Opening the door for me, she lead me into the cafe. The brick walls uncovered by paint. The amber lights provided the place with just sufficient amount of light. Lava colored grids of the chair back rest complimented the copper cushions. I took my seat and rested my elbow on the oak tree round table. Staring at her, I wondered what has she up her sleeve.

 

Her eyes wandered around the shop, searching for someone. Once her target, a rather tall asian girl with long black hair, was found, she nodded her head happily at her. ‘Taeyeon what is going on?’ She only offered her smile as a reply. ‘Why Fany ah, we have been dating for a year. I mean it was this little cafe that we first met and fell in love.’ What? She didn’t respond and only gave my hand a little pat. ‘I see that you have the wrinkles of being twenty six.’ 

 

Baffled, I could only watch her excel in her acting. Then the waitress arrives and placed a scallop risotto in front of me while she had duck confit with mashed potato. Was she taking notes for the past few days? It was just a casual remark of how I missed tasting my mother’s famous risotto. 

 

‘Eat up!’ She picks up her knife and fork. ‘Thank you for the meal.’ I said a little prayer before picking up my spoon. The first bite and it was heavenly. In my heart, I sure hoped that heaven served risotto. Heaven...my teeth rested on my spoon. ‘Hey.’ I was brought back to reality and gave a smile at her worried expression. Well at least Mummy will be there to greet me. In other words, all will be fine. 

 

The lunch was finished up in silence. I didn’t mind the lack of conversing, my mind was emotional and not speaking meant that I wasn’t going to be pathetic out in the open. When we were done, she collected a box at the counter and held my hand as we headed back out.

 

‘What is in the box?’ I asked. She shakes her head. ‘Secret. shhh.’ To top it off, she gave me a wink. What was that all about? We walked hand in hand. Knowing that my hand was in hers, I am happy. Naturally, my eyes looked at her face. Seeing that sparkle in her eye, the beaming smile as we stride, I know that I’m happy.