C.6: Are You Happy?

Collarge

 

C.6: Are You Happy?

 

After the initial shell shock effects of what she says is my atomic bomb, she sweetly dedicated her whole day to me. Seems like I was right in calling her a beautiful stranger. Now just chilling on the ledge of Pont Mirabeau with two Chocolat Chaud that she bought at 2 in the morning. Our eyes fixated on the brilliancy of paris night view. Each taking sips of their own drink at their own pace. 

 

Through the course of the day, I found out that we are of the same age. She was a camera shy photographer, a brilliant undiscovered singer, a free spirit that came to Paris to seek inspiration. I traded information as well, of course. I was a successful workaholic, a USA citizen that loves puppy and a girl dying from Cardiomyopathy. Somewhere along the lines, we dropped the formal speech. Who knew that I’ll find a friend this late in my life. 

 

‘Tipfany.’ She didn’t turn her head. My eyes watch her face admiring the scenery. ‘Are you happy?’ Casually, she brought the cup to . My throat dry but I put my cup down. ‘I’m not sure.’ She continues to look ahead and nod her head. Was she understanding where I’m coming from? Or was she just being condescending? ‘Why?’ She shakes her head. Does she know that I’m looking at her? 

 

‘I do wish for more though.’ I turn my gaze back to the calm water. ‘I’ve been working. Keeping it safe. Knowing that I’ve lived at only one side of the fence, I honestly don’t know if I’m happy.’ I let out a breath. We stayed in silence once more. Was it the tranquility the scenery presented us with that has caused this comforting calm atmosphere? I watch the waves, the ripple effects, the random figures at the sides of the brilliant picture my eyes see, the little flickering lights... ... am I happy? What is happiness?

 

‘What is on the other side?’ She spoke suddenly. My head angled as I rotated my view slightly. ‘I’m not sure. For one, it would be nice to go do long walks at the beach.’ I felt her subtle gaze gently grazing the right side of my face. However I didn't dare look at her. Why? I didn't know. 

 

‘I had my life planed out, you know. By 25, I’ll meet the man of my dreams. By 27, I would throw my wedding bouquet. By 28, I’ll say hello to my first baby girl. In fact, I would stand my ground and call her Kimberly Ann. By 31, I would have two bundle of joys. If I’ll either be having Kimberly Ann and Kathy Sara or Kimberly Ann and Benjamin Oliver. I’ll still love them all the same. Send them to grade school, watch their first love bloom, wave them goodbye at their collage gates while I held my husband hand tightly all the way. Plus when all the kids are grown, we will still be in love and happily travel down the last of our days together.  This was what I envisioned my life to be after getting the Pacemaker at age 17. Sweet isn’t it?’ 

 

I took a sip of my rather lukewarm chocolate. ‘That sounds nice.’ I felt her delicate eyes shift away. We sat there for an hour more before heading back to my suit. When the door closed and she left, I sat on my bed with Romeo & Juliet in my hand.  The tragic story of love. I set the book aside after reading a mere 6 pages. Love. I wonder if I truly had it yet. Is love this powerful? So grand that it could counter logic and turn the reckless as bravery? What is love? What is happiness?

 

The two question swirled around in my mind? Love and happiness... Just what are you two?At the sheer seconds before Uncle Sam held me in his warmth, I heard her question once more. ‘Are you happy?'

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's note:

 

Kel here instead of Jaime, the one who writes. Although I doubt she ever speaks to anyone that reads. Tsk tsk you j. 

Anyway here to inform that updates should be up on a daily basis for this paticular story. Since Jaime wants to study and has entrust me to edit her semi draft of this story. So if there is any error please point out.

 

To j, 

You owe me a milkshake.