First Day Of School

Our Happy Family

“Changjo! Are you ready?!” Key called to Changjo as he was in the kitchen finishing up his lunchbox. It contained a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with the crust cut off, a small container of cut up strawberries, and a strawberry milk box. It’s already been three years since they adopted Changjo and today was his first day of school. Key wanted to make sure everything went well today. He even cancelled his appointments for the beginning of the day so he could take Changjo to school. Jonghyun wanted to come too but he had a recording today that he really couldn’t get out of.

            Soon Jonghyun came out with Changjo dressed and already wearing his backpack. He ran over to Key excitedly and trying to see what his Key appa was doing.

            “Can I have a strawberry?” Changjo asked as he pointed to the cut up strawberries on the counter. Key smiled and gave him a piece that he ate happily.

            “Are you ready for school Changjo?”

            “It’s going to be fun Key appa?”

            “Yea. You will get to color and they will teach you different things.”

            “Like what?!”

            “Hmm… like how to read and count.”

            “I already know how to count!”

            “Well do you know how to read?”

Changjo pursed his lips as he thought.

            “I can read a little.”

            “Well they’re going to teach you to read a lot. Now turn around so I can put this in your bag.”

            “Can I eat that now?”

            “Nope. It’s for lunch. Your teacher will tell you when you can eat it.”

            “I want to eat it now!”

            “Changjo you can’t and you already had breakfast.”

            “Key just let him have some of it.” Jonghyun came over to them when he heard Changjo upset.

            “No. He’s not hungry and just wants it because he saw it. Now Changjo you’ll be able to eat it later ok. So calm down.”

Changjo just stomped away from his Key appa and went over to his Jjong appa. He lifted his arms to indicate that he wanted to be picked up and Jonghyun granted his wish.

            “Key appas being mean to me!” He said as he wrapped his tiny arms around Jonghyun’s neck.

            “Changjo I’m not being mean. You know that you’re not hungry.”

            “I don’t like you anymore Key appa!” He yelled and clung onto Jonghyun tighter. Jonghyun slowly pat Changjo’s back and tried to make him calm down. While Key who was used to Changjo’s tantrums towards him by now just let out a sigh. He still hated it when Changjo was mad at him. He wasn’t doing anything to be mean to him on purpose or punish him. He just didn’t want to spoil him but Changjo knew that if he ever wanted anything he would just have to go to his Jjong appa and he’ll give it to him right away.

            “Changjo you don’t mean that. You like you Key appa.” Jonghyun said as he rubbed Changjo’s back. Changjo shook his head though.

            “You’re going to hurt your Key appa’s feelings if you say that. You’re going to make him cry.”

Changjo then slowly turned to look at Key to see if he was crying and Key pretended to cry and be sad. Changjo reached out to go to his Key appa and Key took him into his arms. Changjo placed his small hands on either side of Key’s cheeks and looked at him.

            “Don’t cry Key appa. Changjo’s sorry.” Changjo said as he held his appa’s cheeks. Hearing his apology ended up making a tear slide down Key’s cheek.

            “Appa don’t cry.” Changjo said as he kissed his appa’s cheek and hugged him. Key hugged Changjo back and smiled.

            “I’m not crying anymore Changjo. I’m sorry for being mean to you. Now are you ready to go to school?”

            “Yes!” He said with a smile.

Jonghyun smiled seeing his two favorite people in the world smiling at each other again as he walked towards them. He ruffled Changjo’s hair to get his attention.

            “Jjong appa you’re going to mess it up!”

            “Sorry, sorry.” Jonghyun said as he stopped playing with Changjo’s hair and Changjo tried to smooth it back out.

            “I’m going to work now Changjo so can I get my goodbye kiss?”

            “You’re not coming to school?”

            “No. I’m sorry but your Key appa is going with you. So can I get my kiss?”

Changjo nodded his head as he gave Jonghyun a kiss on the cheek. Jonghyun then turned to Key.

            “I want one from you too.”

Key smiled and kissed his cheek as well.

            “Nuh uh I want a kiss here.” Jonghyun said as he pointed to his lips. Key just rolled his eyes and gave Jonghyun a peck on the lips.

            “I want to give you two kisses!” Changjo complained.

            “Ok, ok.” Jonghyun pecked Changjo’s lips before heading out of the kitchen to head off to work.

            “Alright it’s just us now Changjo. Let’s go get your sneakers so that we can get you to school.”

            “Ok Key appa!” Changjo said as he ran towards the entrance way where their shoes were kept.

Soon they were on their way to Changjo’s school. When they got there Key asked someone where Changjo’s classroom was after telling them his teacher’s name and after being pointed in the right direction they had finally arrived.

            There were kids playing with toys and running around since the class hadn’t started yet. There were also some parents standing against the wall watching their children enjoy themselves. Key noticed Changjo bouncing on his heels and it seemed like he wanted to join in on the fun as well.

            “Hello I’m Mrs. Shim.” A middle aged woman said as she approached Key and Changjo. Key stuck his hand out to greet her.

            “Hello, I’m Kim Kibum. Changjo’s father.” He said as he gestured to Changjo. Mrs. Shim bent down next to Changjo and shook his hand as well.

            “Hi Changjo. I’m Mrs. Shim and I’ll be your teacher.” She said with a bright smile that Changjo returned.

            “Hi.” He said cheerfully.

            “Do you want to go and play with the other kids?”

Changjo nodded his head.

            “Ok well first you have to hang up your backpack on the hooks over there and then you can go play.”

Changjo looked up at his appa.

            “Can I go play Key appa?”

Key smiled at him and let go of his hand.

            “Go have fun.”

Once he got permission Changjo ran to go put his bag down and join the other kids.

            “He calls you Key appa?” Mrs. Shim questioned.

            “Yes. It’s my nickname and he calls his other father Jjong appa.”

            “Oh I see. Well you can go and stand with the other parents for a little while and watch in on the class or you can just leave and come pick up Changjo later. I noticed that a lot of parents like to stay on the first day to help their child adjust well. Also because they have trouble letting go too.” She said with a small laugh.

Key smiled back to her before looking at his watch. He had about an hour before his first client of the day. So he would stay for a little while.

            “I think I’ll stay for a little while.”

            “Fantastic. You may go over there with the other parents then.”

Key saw where she gestured to and walked over to join the rest of the parents. It was mostly moms but there were a couple of dads here as well. He stood next to one woman as he watched Changjo play with the other kids.

            “So which one is yours?” The woman next to him asked.

            “The one with the red and white shirt on.” Key pointed out Changjo.

            “Oh he’s adorable. My son is the one sitting down drawing in the blue.”

            “He seems really quiet. That must be nice to have a quiet son.” Key said as he thought about how loud Changjo could be sometimes. Especially after his uncle Taemin brought him that drum set. He didn’t think Taemin would actually do it but he did. Key couldn’t wait until Taemin got a child so that he could pay him back.

            “Yea he’s quiet but he seems to be a little introverted. I hope that school will help him to open up to people.”

            “It should. My Changjo is a little too outgoing. He trusts people too easily. I just pray that he doesn’t get kidnapped one day.”

          “Well as long as you tell him not to go with strangers he should be fine. Where’s his mother? Is she working?”

            “His father is yes.”

            “Oh I thought you were his father.”

            “I am. My husband is at work right now and…” Key looked down at his watch. “I actually need to be leaving soon too.”

            “Oh ok. Well I hope our sons could be friends in the future. I’m Yoo Eun Mi by the way.”

            “Kim Kibum.” Key said as he shook her hand before walking over to his son to tell him he was leaving.

The class had already started so he did his best not to disturb too much. When he reached Changjo he tapped his shoulder to get his attention.

            “Changjo-ah appa is going to work now but I will be back later to pick you up.”

            “Ok. Bye Key appa.” Changjo said as he gave Key a kiss on the cheek.

            “Bye baby.”

With that Key left Changjo in school as he headed to work. For both Jonghyun and Key while they were at work they couldn’t stop thinking about how Changjo’s first day was going. Jonghyun was hoping that he was making friends and Key was worried that his baby could be crying missing him. When Key went to pick him up it was obvious that Key was the one missing him. He hurriedly went over to Changjo and scooped him up into his arms.

            “Did you miss me baby? How was your first day?”

            “It was fun appa! I made a friend too!”

            “Really?”

            “Yea. His name is Changhyun. He’s really nice. We’re best friends!”

            “That’s good. You ready to go home and see your Jjong appa?”

            “Can we get ice-cream on the way home?”

            “Sure. Let me guess you want strawberry.”

            “Neh!”

They headed out to get Changjo ice-cream and he kept talking about his new friend. Little did Key know that he would be seeing a lot of this Changhyun from that day on.