Changjo Knows

Our Happy Family

Why did Key tell him? I thought we said we would keep that a secret from Changjo until we both decided he was old enough to know, or until we died, whichever one came first. Yet now he knows. Wait, maybe Changjo just guessed? So that means I still have time to deny it right? No, I think I’ve already confirmed it and why would Changjo think something like that about Key?

            “So is it true appa?” Changjo asked again, when he realized that Jonghyun wasn’t answering him.

            “Is what true?” Jonghyun asked, hoping he heard him wrong the first time.

            “That Key appa was a e.”

            Jonghyun was really hoping that he heard wrong, but now that Changjo had repeated he knew that his ears were indeed not playing tricks on him. Instead of answering him though he decided to ask him a question of his own.

            “Where did you hear that from?”

            Changjo was silent for a moment as he thought over what to say. He didn’t want his Jjong appa to know that he was eavesdropping on his Key appa but he also wanted the answer to his question; even though by the way his Jjong appa was acting he knew what the answer was. Still he decided to tell the truth.

            “I heard Insoo ajusshi mention it last night while him and Key appa were talking.”

            Hearing that pissed Jonghyun off because not only did Changjo now know, he heard it from someone that wasn’t him or Key; an outsider, and even though he liked Insoo he would not let this go. So he let out a sigh as he tried to arrange his thoughts in a way so that he could explain the situation to Changjo clearly.

            “Changjo, sit down.” He started and Changjo sat on the stool next to Jonghyun. Once Changjo was seated and he saw that he had his attention he started to speak.

            “It’s true. You’re Key appa did use to sell his body…”

            “What?! Why would he…” Changjo interrupted.

            “Let me finish. Now, that was a part of his past. Way before we got you. He did it as a means to survive, not because he liked it and once we started dating he stopped and got a real job.”  Jonghyun explained, leaving as many details out as possible, while still trying to satisfy Changjo’s curiosity.

            “But, why did he start in the first place? It’s such a disgusting job. I don’t know how anyone can sleep with someone they don’t love.”

            Jonghyun could hear Changjo judging Key’s past in his voice and he knew that’s one of the reasons Key didn’t want Changjo to know; especially since Changjo said it was a ‘disgusting job.’ Jonghyun knew that if Key heard that that he would probably break down in tears. So he had to set Changjo straight before he could talk to Key when he woke up.

            “Changjo, you need to understand that your Key appa didn’t choose to sell himself, it’s just something that happened. Plus he needed money at the time.”

            “Why? Grandpa could have given him money or he could have gotten a regular job. I just don’t know how you can stick up for what he did Jjong appa. I mean, are you not disgusted by it? I personally wouldn’t be able to date a .” Changjo quickly covered his mouth once he realized what he had said. He didn’t mean for it to sound so mean but that was the first thing that popped into his head. Before Jonghyun could reprimand him, Key stepped into the kitchen, his eyes covered by his messy bangs so that he couldn’t look Changjo in the eyes.

            Truth was that Key had woken up a little while ago and heard when Changjo asked if he was a e for the second time. Key couldn’t believe that Changjo knew now, and he was also upset that Changjo found out from Insoo’s mouth. Key had decided to hide in the shadows to hear how Changjo would react to it but once he called him a , he could no longer listen.

            Jonghyun and Changjo were both equally surprised to see Key and Jonghyun got up immediately and went over to him. He tried to place his arms around him but Key pushed his arms off.

            “Kibum..?” Jonghyun whispered out, knowing that Key was probably having an internal breakdown, while trying to hide it from them. The only thing was that he was wrong. Key wasn’t even trying to hide it as Jonghyun noticed the tears slowly sliding down his face.

            Key kept his head down as he spoke the first words since he stepped foot into the kitchen. “I’m sorry,” he whispered them out but both Jonghyun and Changjo heard it clearly since the silence in the kitchen was deafening.

            “Key, what are you sorry for? You have nothing to be sorry for,” Jonghyun said trying to cheer Key up, “Come on. Let’s get you back in bed,” he said as he tried to place his arm around Key’s shoulder again, but once again Key shook it off.

            “Stop. You shouldn’t touch a dirty like me.”

            “Key, you’re not a . Now come on…” Jonghyun tried again but Key pushed hard, so that he would get away from him.

            “I said don’t touch me!!” He lifted his head and they could see all of the tears streaming down his face, breaking both of their hearts. “Why are you trying to make me feel better?! Changjo was only speaking the truth! I’m just a and you should be disgusted to be married to someone like me!” Key screamed as tears continued to pour out of his eyes. He knew this would happen one day, he knew his past would come to haunt him but he hoped, no prayed that his son would still accept and love him. He realized now that he could never have that dream life that he always wished for.

            Jonghyun continued to try and comfort Key, but he kept pushing him away. He needed to get out of the house. It was suffocating him. He could feel their judgmental, hateful stares and he couldn’t take it. So he quickly grabbed his keys, ran to the door, slipped his sneakers on, and ran out the house.

            “Key!!” Jonghyun called as he tried to stop Key from leaving but Key was hysterical by this point. Even when Jonghyun had managed to pin him down on their front lawn, Key continued to thrash in his arms.

            “Let me go!! Just let me leave!!”

            Changjo came outside and he was worried about his Key appa. He didn’t mean for him to hear what he said but he didn’t think it would set him off like this. His Key appa was one of the strongest people he knew, so to see him like this; he didn’t know how to react.

            “Is Key appa going to be ok?” He asked as he saw his Jjong appa still trying to calm him down.

            “Just go inside and get ready for school!” Jonghyun yelled.

            “But…”

            “GO!!” He couldn’t deal with Changjo while Key was trying to run away. His main priority at the moment was calming Key down.

            “Let me go Jonghyun!! He hates me! He thinks I’m disgusting!! Just let me leave!!” Key screamed, as the neighbors slowly started to come out of their houses to see what was going on. Jonghyun used all of his strength to pick up the thrashing Key and bring him inside, which was no easy task, since Key kept hitting and kicking him. Once inside he placed Key on the couch, who had calmed down, probably because he had tired himself out. The fact that he drank half a bottle of wine last night might be the reason why he didn’t have any energy now.

            “Kibum…are you ok now?” Jonghyun asked but Key didn’t answer. He had a blank look on his face as he stared forward, not even really looking and Jonghyun. Jonghyun kept trying to get him to respond but soon realized it was useless.

            “Key, I’m going to take Changjo to school now. Are you going to be ok?”

            Still no response. Jonghyun let out a sigh before place a soft kiss on Key’s forehead, laying him down on the couch, and placing a blanket over him.

            “I’ll be back soon. Try and get some rest, ok?” Jonghyun then left the house with Changjo following behind him. He even took Key’s car keys so that he wouldn’t try and leave again. 

            Changjo looked behind him at his appa, who looked like his soul had left his body. He wanted to say something but he knew that there was nothing he could say to make this situation any better. So he followed his Jjong appa out and just hoped that his Key appa would be back to normal when he got home.

            After Jonghyun dropped Changjo off he told him that Bomi would be picking him up before rushing home to check on Key. He let out a sigh of relief when he saw Key in the exact same position that he left him. He wasn’t happy that Key was so dazed out at the moment but he was happy that he hadn’t left. Key had his eyes close though when he came back and Jonghyun figured that he was still tired from last night, so he gently lifted him off of the couch, and brought him into their bedroom. Once Key was in bed, he sat on the edge and looked down at him, pushing some stray strands of hand out of his face.

           “Kibum…I love you.” Jonghyun didn’t know what else to say except that as he placed a kiss on his forehead. He really didn’t want to go to work, but he had to. Bomi would be debuting next Wednesday and he had to help get all the last minute preparations in order to make sure it would be successful. The songs were already written but he was doing intense vocal training with her to make sure she didn’t mess up. Not only was her career on the line, but so was his job. So he reluctantly left his sleeping husband and had the same wish as Changjo; that everything would be back to normal when he got home.

           

            At school Changjo couldn’t concentrate on anything as his mind kept drifting back to the sad expression that his Key appa had on his face that morning. He hated himself for causing it. Yea, he hated how his Key appa kept treating him like a kid, but he would never want to cause him such pain. When lunch came rolling around, Yongguk led him out of the cafeteria and into an empty classroom, so that they could continue what they started the day before. As Yongguk tried though, Changjo would not respond at all, causing Yongguk to become irritated.

            “What’s wrong with you? I thought you wanted to do this,” Yongguk said as he pulled away from Changjo.

            “I have a lot on my mind hyung. I’m sorry.”

            Yongguk didn’t even ask what was wrong and just left the classroom, annoyed. Changjo ended up sitting on the floor, knees up to his chest, as he became swallowed up by the guilt of hurting his Key appa. He didn’t know what he was going to do, but he swore that he would make it right in the end.

            Changjo wasn’t the only one suffering, Ricky had been extremely worried about Himchan, but when he came to school he looked fine and Ricky didn’t understand. He didn’t even have time to question Himchan about it until after school when they had theater rehearsal. The show was in a week and they were running through the entire play every day. Once it wasn’t either Ricky or Himchan’s scene he went over to the older boy to ask about what happened when he got home.

            “Hyung, are you ok?”

            “Of course I am! Don’t I look ok?” Himchan said with a smile. Ricky was still confused. His father looked so angry yesterday, so how could Himchan not have a scratch on him.

            “But what about your father?”

            “Let’s not talk about that here. Oh it’s my turn to go back up.” Himchan ran back on stage and Ricky let out a soft sigh as he went back to doing some necessary stage prep. He felt like he didn’t need to be there since he was only an understudy, but Ms. Jun said that she wanted all understudy’s there so that they could see what they would have to do if needed to fill in.

            When the rehearsal ended everyone was getting ready to leave but Jieun came over to Himchan and Ricky.

            “Hey guys!” She said in her normal, cheerful voice.

            “Hey Jieun, good rehearsal today.”

            “You too Himchan. I was wondering if you guys wanted to hang out with Taekwoon and I today?” She asked, with a hopeful expression on her face. Himchan shook his head though.

            “Ricky and I have plans to watch a movie at his place. Maybe another time?”

            “Ah…yea. Sure! Next time!” She forced a smile before walking away. Himchan turned to smile at Ricky and Ricky smiled back.

            “We don’t have plans to watch a movie at my place,” Ricky said as they walked to Himchan’s car hand in hand.

            “Is this your way of saying that you don’t want me to come over?”

            “No! Of course I do!” Ricky exclaimed. He really did want Himchan to come over. He would love to keep him at his place forever as long as he didn’t have to go back home to his dad. As he thought about Himchan’s situation again he remembered that Key said he would talk to Himchan. So when they started driving to his house he decided to bring it up.

            “Umm… hyung?”

            “Yea,”

            “Do you remember Changjo’s father? Key?”

           “Hmm…ah yea. We had dinner at his place before right?” Himchan said as he made a left onto Ricky’s street.           

            “Yea, well…he invited us over again tonight.”

            “Really? I thought you and Changjo weren’t talking?”

            “We’re not really…but Key hyung wants to see me and he told me to invite you.” Ricky tried his best to come up with a good excuse on the spot; now he was only hoping that Himchan believed it.

            “Hyung? You call him hyung?”

“Yea, he tells me to. So I guess I’ve sort of gotten used to it.”

              Himchan laughed and Ricky heart skipped a beat. Anytime he saw Himchan laugh or smile it made his heart flutter. He was really happy to see it now, after what happened the day before.

              “I guess he’s trying to stay young. Anyway, I don’t mind going over there for dinner,” he said as he pulled into Ricky’s driveway, “What time do we have to be there?”

             “Around seven. So we can leave here at 6:50.”

             “Alright, so what do you want to do until then? We can watch a movie or whatever. Your choice since we’re at your house today,” Himchan said as they entered Ricky’s house and settled down on his couch.

              Ricky wanted to just watch a movie with Himchan and pretend nothing was wrong, but he couldn’t get the scene from yesterday out of his mind. He needed to know if Himchan was really alright.

             “Hyung…nothing happened at all when you went home yesterday?”

              Himchan was caught off guard by the question; he figured that the conversation about him and his dad was over, he slowly realized that Ricky could be a lot more stubborn that he seemed to act.

             “I said nothing happened right? So nothing happened. He just yelled some more and went to bed. He was too drunk to do anything when I got home anyway.”

             Ricky looked Himchan in the eyes to see if he was telling the truth but he soon realized he couldn’t tell when his hyung was lying or not. So he just accepted that what he was telling him was the truth.

            “Ok, sorry for asking again.”

             “It’s fine,” Himchan said as he wrapped an arm around Ricky’s shoulder, pulling him close to him, “I appreciate the fact that you’re worried about me, but you don’t need to be. I can handle myself fine.”

           “Ok hyung. I believe you.” Ricky now just hoped that Himchan wouldn’t get mad at him for asking Key for help when they go over for dinner. 


Ok so most people said they rather me just finish it all here instead of spilting the story in half. So I shall give you what you want and for the people that say they're confused, seriously just ask me questions and I will explain it to you!! Also I'm surprised most of you didn't comment on the little snippets that I left in the last chapter. Anyway, like I said before I probably won't be updating again until later in May. I simply decided to give you guys this, since I left off on such a horrible cliffhanger in the last chapter. This should tie you guys over for now. 

~Lolo