Runaways Return

Our Happy Family

The whole night Jonghyun couldn’t sleep. From worrying about where Changjo was to worrying about if Key was coming home, there was no way he could calm his mind down. It was now seven in the morning and Jonghyun was sitting in the kitchen drinking his third cup of tea. If the first two hadn’t calmed his nerves then he knew the third one probably wouldn’t do any better.

            He kept staring at the clock hoping that someone would walk through the front door soon. Whether it was Key or Changjo, at this point he really didn’t care as long as it was someone. His wish was soon answered when he heard the front door opening. Jonghyun quickly stood from his seat and went to greet the person coming back. Before his brain could even register who had returned he had his arms wrapped tightly around the person so that they couldn’t leave again.  The person put their hands up to push him away slightly before staring at him with his feline eyes.

            “Hey Jjong…” Key said as he gazed into Jonghyun’s eyes gently before walking further into the house.

            “Key, I’m so happy that you’re back. You really scared me last night leaving like that.”

           “I know…and I’m sorry. Where’s Changjo by the way? Did he already leave for school?” Key asked curious. He knew he had to talk to Changjo and he was hoping that he would come home early enough to at least apologize to his son.

            “Umm…about that…” This is also what Jonghyun was hoping wouldn’t happen. He wanted Changjo return before Key just so he wouldn’t have to try and explain why their son was missing.            

            “What is it Jonghyun?”          

            “Well, Changjo’s missing…again.”

Key let out a small sigh before pulling his cell phone out of his back pocket.

            “Key? Who are you calling?”

Key ignored Jonghyun as the phone rang until he heard a female voice on the other line.

            “Yoboseyo?” The person on the other line answered sleepily.

            “Eun Mi noona. I’m sorry for calling you so early in the morning but is my son over there?”

            “Huh? No, why would he be?”

            “Can you please…”Before Key could get the rest of his sentence out Eun Mi spoke up again except it wasn’t to him.

            “Changjo-ah? What are you doing here? It seems like he is here Key. Do you want me to send him back home?”

            “No it’s fine. It’s almost time for school so he can just leave from your place. Thanks again noona.”

            “Yea, no problem.”

Key looked to Jonghyun after he ended his conversation with Changhyun’s mother and gave him a smile that said everything’s alright now.

            “He was at Changhyun’s house?”

            “Yea.”

Jonghyun let out a sigh before letting his legs fall out from under him as he sat at the kitchen table. “That’s a relief. I was up all night worried about the two of you.”

            “Sorry.”

            “Just please Key…don’t ever do that to me again. I thought you were really going to leave us last night.”

Key walked over to Jonghyun, sat on his lap, and laid his head on Jonghyun’s chest. “Don’t worry. I won’t. I just really needed to clear my head last night but I’m back now and everything will be fine.”

            “Why did you leave in the first place though?”

            “At the time I felt like it was the best thing I could do. I felt like I needed to get away so that Changjo could be safe and happy.”

            “How could he possibly be happy without you here?! Or safe for that matter. You’re the overprotective one while I’m the go with the flow one. If you left him with me wouldn’t he just end up getting into more trouble?” Jonghyun asked trying to lighten the mood and he succeeded when a small smile broke out on Key’s face.

            “Yea, I don’t know what I was possibly thinking to leave him here with you.”

            “Point is that you weren’t thinking.”

            “I know and again I’m sorry but I’m back now and I don’t plan on leaving like that again.”

            “No it’s fine Key. I understand if you need a little bit of time away but next time just tell me so that I’m not worrying.”

Key shook his head before giving Jonghyun a small kiss on the lips. “No, I’m not going to run away from my problems. That’s not who I am. I will face them head on and work through them.”

            “And I’ll be there to help you through them.”

Key was about to lean in to kiss Jonghyun again when he felt something tackling him to the ground off of Jonghyun’s lap. He ended up hitting the back of his head on their tile flooring but before he could even fully register the pain he felt the body on top of his start to shake and that drew his attention away from the pain. Key soon realized that Changjo was on top of him and that he was crying.

            “C-Changjo? What are you doing and why are you crying?”

            “I thought you left us!” He screamed out into Key’s chest as he held on to him tighter. Key felt his heart clench. The fact that he caused his little boy this much pain by leaving last night made him feel like a horrible person. He slowly wrapped his arms around Changjo as he tried to comfort him.

            “Shh… it’s ok Changjo. Your appa’s here and he isn’t going anywhere.”

 

It took a while before Changjo actually calmed down but soon Changjo was actually able to release his hold on Key. As soon as Ricky’s mom told him that him that his Key appa called looking for him he had quickly gathered his things and ran to his house. He couldn’t stop himself from wrapping his arms around Key in a death grip so that he would never be able to leave him again once he saw him either. At the moment they were all sitting at the kitchen table and Key had made them a simple breakfast. He had decided that Changjo had been through enough that he didn’t have to go to school that day either.

            “Key appa…”

            “Yes Changjo?” Key said as he swallowed the food in his mouth.

            “I’m sorry. I’m sorry to you too Jjong appa. I shouldn’t have acted the way I did. It’s my fault that you left Key appa and…”

            “It’s ok Changjo. You don’t have to say anything else.”

            “But…”

            “I said its fine. I forgive you for the way you were acting but you better not do it again because next time I won’t leave. No you’ll just be grounded until you’re my age.” Key said with a smile on his face. Changjo couldn’t help but smile back either because his father was back and he couldn’t be happier.

They all finished breakfast and Changjo then finally got ready for school. He had already missed half of the day but he figured that going to at least half of his classes would be better than nothing at all. Plus he wanted to see Yongguk.

            “Changjo where are you going?” Key asked looking up from the TV show him and Jonghyun were watching.

            “School appa. I can’t miss too many days.”

            “Oh. Do you want me to take you?”

            “No, it’s fine. You look comfortable so you should just stay there.”

            “I can take you.” Key insisted as he stood up and went to get his car keys. Changjo didn’t continue to reject him and just let his appa drive him to school.

            They soon arrived but before leaving the car Changjo turned to his appa to ask him a question.

            “Key appa, can I go to dance practice after school today at uncle Taemin’s school?”

            “Do you promise to be home on time?”

            “Yes! Please appa, I really want to go!!” Changjo begged and gave Key his sad eyes. Key let out a sigh and decided that he had punished his baby enough.

            “Ok you can go but, you better be home no later than 6:30!”

            “I promise I’ll be home on time!!” Changjo gave him a kiss on the cheek before running out of the car.

            Changjo entered the school and looked up at the big clock to see that there were still about twenty minutes left to the lunch period. So he headed straight for the cafeteria. He quickly spotted Ricky sitting with the rest of their friends from middle school and made a bee-line straight for their table. Changjo sat next to Ricky and gave him a smile.

            “Oh look who finally decided to show up. Are we your friends now or are you just going to ditch us again?” Niel spoke up with his snarky attitude.

            “Well you won’t be my friend if you continue to act like a little .” Changjo retorted. It caused Ricky to grab his hand and give it a gentle squeeze.

            “You should try not to curse so much Changjo and Niel he’s had a long weekend. Why don’t you just give him a break?”

Niel made a scoff sound with his voice before turning his attention back to his food and Ricky placed all of his attention on his best friend.

            “So Changjo are you still coming today?” Ricky asked wondering if his friend had remembered that the theater club auditions were today. Unfortunately Changjo didn’t remember but just as he was about to ask him what he was talking about he felt hands covering his eyes.

            “Did you miss me?” He heard a deep voice rumble out into his ear and he slowly felt his face turning red as he realized who the pair of hands belonged to. The person lowered their hands from his face and Changjo was quick to stand up and face him.

            “Of course I missed you!” He said brightly with a smile on his face. Yongguk was his main reason for wanting to show up to school today.

            “Good. Now come with me.” He said as he wrapped his hand gently around Changjo wrist before tugging him along. Changjo turned back to his friends and waved to them as he walked away with Yongguk, missing the dejected look on Ricky’s face.

            Yongguk ended up bringing them to the track and they sat side by side on the bleachers. Since it was late autumn the air was starting to cool. That was the last thing on Changjo’s mind as he sat next to Yongguk; however.

            “Why did we come out here?” Changjo asked slightly curious as to why they didn’t stay in the cafeteria.

            “So I could do this.” Yongguk pressed his lips against Changjo’s and Changjo savored the feeling of his warm lips. The kiss didn’t last long but Changjo didn’t mind. He was simply content with receiving the kiss.

            “What happened last night after I left? You never texted me so I figured you ‘dad’ grounded you.” He asked and even made air quotes as he said the word ‘dad.’ Changjo overlooked it though.

            “Let’s just say it got pretty heated. Everything is fine now.”

            “Good, I didn’t want you to have to sneak out just so you could see me.”

            “And who says that I would sneak out to see you?” Changjo teased.

            “Oh you wouldn’t? After what happened yesterday I guess I just figured you would like to see more of me.” Changjo felt his face heat up slightly when Yongguk brought up what they did at his house yesterday. “But since it seems like you don’t, maybe I should leave now.” Yongguk continued to mess with Changjo. Even going as far as standing up to leave but, Changjo quickly took a hold of his hand to stop him.

            “No. I want you to stay.” He said in a low voice that was against his nature. When he’s around Yongguk though, he can’t help but to become shy. Yongguk smiled before planting a tiny kiss on his lips and sitting down again.

            “So what do you want to do today after school?” He asked as he interlaced their fingers.

            “I have dance practice and I was wondering if you wanted to come with me.”

            “Watch you dance?”

            “Yea…we do some cool things sometimes.” Changjo was worried that Yongguk wouldn’t want to come. That it seem sort of childish and he would only become annoyed.

Truth was that Yongguk wasn’t really into dance. Yea, it looked nice but it just didn’t interest him. He saw the look on Changjo’s face; however, and decided what the hell.

            “Alright. I’ll come and see you dance.”

Changjo immediately wrapped his arms around Yongguk in a hug as soon as the words left his mouth. “It’s going to fun, I swear!”

            “I believe you. Now how about we go inside since it’s getting cold now.”

Changjo nodded his head and they both headed back for the warmth that was their school hand in hand. A smile on Changjo’s face. His day couldn’t get any better, especially now that he was going to spend the whole afternoon with his boyfriend. 


Ok here is the real update!! Sorry for those two random fake chapters before. I should stay away from the computer when drinking. Anyway I hope this update satisfies you guys for a little bit. Things are really going to start moving and shakin' in the next few chapters so you guys better prepare! 

~Lolo