The Days Without Key

Our Happy Family

Flashbacks are in italics. That is all! Enjoy the chapter!


It has been a week since Key left and Jonghyun felt like he was losing it. Bomi made her debut and was doing better than Jonghyun could have hoped for, but he couldn’t even be happy about it since Key wasn’t at home. Jonghyun still couldn’t believe that Key would just leave like he did, leaving behind two measly notes for him and Changjo. He still remembers clearly, waking up that morning and Key not being besides him.

            Jonghyun didn’t think anything of it at first, since he figured Key was making breakfast. So he went about his morning routine as he always did. Once he was showered and dressed, Jonghyun left the room only to find Changjo crying in the kitchen and holding a piece of paper in his hands.

            “Changjo? What’s wrong?” Jonghyun asked as he walked over to the boy and looked around the kitchen for Key at the same time. Key was always better at situations like this than he was.

            “Key appa…Key appa left!” Changjo exclaimed as he let out another sob, his worst nightmare had just come true this morning and he knew it was his fault, just by reading the note his appa left for him.

            “What?! What are you talking about?!” Jonghyun screamed as he snatched the piece of paper out of Changjo’s hands. He read it quickly before slamming it down on the counter. It said:

Changjo,

            I’m sorry for disappointing you. I never meant for you to find out about my past like you did and I understand that you’re completely disgusted by me, which is why I’m leaving. Don’t think I’m doing this because I don’t love you though, because it’s the opposite. I’m doing this because I do love you and I want you to be happy. If that means leaving then that is what I have to do. So be good in school, eat your vegetables, and take care of your Jjong appa for me.

Love your Key appa.

            Jonghyun couldn’t believe what was going on. Key was gone and he did it because he felt like it would be best for Changjo if he left. Jonghyun was just about to grab his phone and call Key when Changjo handed him another piece of paper.

            “Jjong appa, this one is for you.”

            Jonghyun quickly snatched the piece of paper out of his hand and read it quickly. Hoping there was some kind of clue to where Key would be; sadly there wasn’t.

Jonghyun,

            As you’ve probably noticed, I’m not at home. I’ve decided to leave so that you and Changjo can be happy. You don’t have to worry about coming home on time for dinner anymore and upsetting me if you work late now. Just please, take care of Changjo and yourself and don’t eat ramen every night. I love you Jonghyun and I know you’ll be fine without me in no time.

Love Kibum

P.S Please don’t look for me

            Jonghyun couldn’t believe what he just read. He couldn’t believe that Key would actually leave and on top of that tell him not to look for him! How could he possibly think that leaving them was what was best for them?! Did he not know that it would hurt both of them, make Changjo cry?!

            “Jjong appa, what are we going to do?” Changjo asked as he wiped away his last few tears and calmed down somewhat. His question jogged Jonghyun out of his thoughts and he realized that he didn’t know what he was going to do.

            “Just…go get ready for school. I’ll handle everything,” Jonghyun said with a smile on his face, acting like he actually had a plan.

            “Jjong appa, its Saturday,” Changjo said, watching as his appa ran his hand nervously through his hair.

            “Oh yea, I knew that. Why don’t you go over to Ricky’s house or something? I’ll figure everything out, so you go play.”

            “I want to help though!” Changjo exclaimed, noticing that his appa was trying to push him away.

            “I said I would handle it didn’t I?! So just go! Do your homework or play with Ricky, but just let me handle this!” Jonghyun snapped at Changjo, but immediately regretted it when he saw the hurt look on his face. He let out a sigh before placing a comforting hand on Changjo’s shoulder.

            “I’m sorry for yelling Changjo. I just…I just have to clear my head.” After saying that he handed Changjo 30,000 and headed for the front door; he slipped on his sneakers and then turned to face Changjo who had followed him.

            “I’m going out for a bit. That money is for food or whatever; be good and I’ll be back soon,” Jonghyun said before heading out the door.

            That day, Jonghyun didn’t go to work. He spent the whole day looking for Key. He called Key over and over until his voicemail box was full and then resorted to texting. Jonghyun went to Soohyun’s and his brother’s place to see if Key was there; both parties looked utterly surprised to see Jonghyun, however, and said that they hadn’t heard from Key. He believed them too, because once he told them he was missing they became equally as worried and both tried to call him, still getting no answer. Jonghyun even called Key’s father, who also hadn’t heard from him. He searched for hours, only to come up empty handed at the end of the day.

            Now it was a week later and there was still no sign of Key. His number had been deactivated on the second day of his disappearance and no one had heard from him. The police also refused to get involved since a note was left behind and he was a grown man. They told Jonghyun that from the note, it was obvious that he left on his own accord and one even told him that he should just move on, hinting that their relationship was over.

            Jonghyun was currently making dinner, ramen, and trying to remember if there was any place or person that he missed that Key could have gone to. Jonghyun already went to his salon almost every day hoping to see him there, but every time he got there they would tell him that he just left or better yet didn’t show up. Jonghyun had a feeling that they were probably covering for him, but he didn’t want to cause a scene in the shop for no reason. So he would always just say that he would come back again. Jonghyun soon became lost in thought, that he didn’t even notice his ramen boiling over until some splashed on him.

            “!” He quickly took the pot off of the stove and turned the heat off. Looking at the sad excuse for dinner, he called Changjo to let him know that dinner was ready, only to not get a response.

            “Changjo!! I said dinner is…” Jonghyun opened Changjo’s door, only to remember that he wasn’t home. “Oh yea, he said he was going to Ricky’s house,” Jonghyun muttered to himself as he went back into the kitchen. Changjo had been spending a lot of time at Ricky’s house since Key left and Jonghyun simply figured that it was too hard for him to be home.

            The only problem was that he was never at Ricky’s house. Changjo would always go to Yongguk’s house after school, where they would engage in heavy ual activities that Changjo usually initiated, and today was no different.

            “Ah ha…more hyung!” Changjo moaned out as he rode on top of Yongguk. Yongguk continued his harsh s up into the boy until he was spilling his seed on his stomach; Yongguk following not too far behind. Yongguk was about to lay Changjo down next to him, but Changjo tightened his legs on him.

            “No hyung, let’s do it again,” Changjo said as he kept Yongguk’s inside of him.

            “Changjo, we just did it. You have to give me some time to recover. I mean you’re not even hard and neither am I.”

            “I can fix that,” Changjo said as he got off of Yongguk, feeling his trickle down his thighs, and started to him off. Yongguk pulled him off of though.

            “Stop Changjo. I appreciate the increase in your ual appetite, but I can’t just keep going like that and neither can you. So just lay down,” Yongguk said as he pulled Changjo down on the bed and in his arms. They stayed like that for a while until Yongguk looked at his clock.

            “! Changjo, you need to go home.”

            “Why?” Changjo asked as he sat up on his the bed with his legs curled up underneath him.

            “I just have something to do and I don’t want to be late. So hurry up and get dressed.”

            “Can I at least shower first?”

            “No time.’ Yongguk said as he himself ran into the bathroom and hopped in the shower. Changjo pouted, but decided to follow Yongguk into the shower. When he stepped in the shower, Yongguk looked at him with a surprise look on his face.

            “Changjo what are you doing in here?”

            “Showering,” he said and that’s exactly what he did, but Changjo did it in the most seductive way possible to turn Yongguk on and it worked. Soon they were going at it again in the shower and by time they were done Yongguk was completely late for his meeting, causing him to speed to Changjo’s house.

            “Hyung, can you drop me off at Ricky’s place instead?” Changjo asked as they got closer to his place. Yongguk nodded and soon he was pulling up in front of Ricky’s house.

            “I’ll call you later ok?” Changjo said as he looked over at Yongguk and gave him a kiss on the cheek. He was about to get out of the car, but Yongguk grabbed his arm and pulled him back. Then he placed a kiss right on Changjo’s lips.

            “What did I tell you about giving me those fake kisses?”  Changjo just smiled at him before kissing him again.

            “Is that better?”

            “Much. Now go. I’ll talk to you later.”

            “Kay, bye hyung,” Changjo said as he got out of the car and watched Yongguk drive away. Once Yongguk was out of sight, he walked up the pathway to Ricky’s door, knocked, and waited for Ricky to answer.

            “Hyung, did you forget someth…Oh. Hey Changjo,” Ricky said as he opened the door. “What are you doing here?”

           “What? I can’t visit my best friend?” Changjo said with a smile on his face as he walked into Ricky’s house.

            “Umm…it’s just you haven’t come over in over a month and the last time we spoke was last week.”

            “I’ve just been busy, but I’m here now right?” Changjo sat on the couch and Ricky was able to tell that something was off with him just by the way he was acting. He hadn’t been friends with him for over 10 years without being able to tell when something was wrong with him.

            “Changjo…are you ok?” Ricky asked as he sat next to Changjo on the couch.

            “Of course I’m ok. Why wouldn’t I be?” Changjo said with a smile on his face and Ricky was quickly able to tell that it was fake.

            “Changjo…if something’s wrong, you know you can tell me.”

            “Nothing’s wrong Ricky, so can you please stop asking me.” Changjo let out a sigh and started flipping through channels, to get his mind off of his empty home. Yes, his Jjong appa was still there, but only physically. His appa didn’t even notice if he came home or not because he was too worried over his Key appa. Changjo was worried too of course, but it saddened him to know that he was basically forgotten by both of his appas, that’s why he always spent so much time at Yongguk’s house; for one he knew he wouldn’t be missed and secondly, Yongguk at least gave him attention.

            “Yea, I’m sorry,” Ricky apologized, “but if you ever want to talk, I’m always here for you,” Ricky said as he lifted his head to smile at Changjo. Changjo ended up ruffling Ricky’s hair because he looked so adorable to him.

            “Yah! What are you doing? I’m not a child!”

            “It’s not my fault that you still look like you’re 12.” Changjo said as he laughed. “Anyway, where is Himchan? I figured he would be here with you.”

            “You don’t know? Oh yea, I figured that you wouldn’t.”

            “Know what?” Changjo asked confused. Was Ricky keeping something from him?

            “Ah, it’s nothing. I figured you would know since Key hyung isn’t home.”

            “H-How do you know that he isn’t home?” Changjo was becoming more and more confused by the second.

            “Huh? Oh, because Himchan just went to meet him. Didn’t…”

            “WHAT?!! What do you mean he just went to meet him?! WHERE?!” Changjo cut Ricky off and had both his hands on Ricky’s shoulders; shaking the poor confused boy.

            “Yah! Calm down Changjo!” Ricky said as he took Changjo’s hands off of him. “What are you freaking out about?!”

            Changjo took in a deep breath before letting it out to calm himself down, even though he wanted to run out of the house at that very moment and find his appa. “Ricky, my Key appa ran away from home last week and neither I nor my appa have heard a word from him since. So please, can you tell me where they’re meeting?” Changjo pleaded with Ricky.

            “This is what was bothering you, isn’t it? Why didn’t you tell me?!”

            “Please Ricky! We can talk about that later, can you just tell me?!”

            Ricky let out a sigh before placing a comforting hand on his friends’ shoulder. “I’ll make a quick call to Himchan. I have to ask him for the address.”

            “Don’t tell him the reason you need it though; I don’t want my appa running away before we get there.”

            “Ok, I got it.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            Key was watching a movie with Insoo when he got the text from Himchan that he wanted to meet him on Saturday. He was a little hesitant about meeting Himchan, but he knew what the boy was going through and didn’t want him to think that he was alone. So he agreed to meet him at a small diner near Insoo’s apartment.

            “Who are you texting?” Insoo asked as put his arm over Key’s shoulder and tried to look at the text message.

            Key quickly sent the message before putting his phone away and sticking his tongue out at Insoo. “Now wouldn’t you like to know, hyung.”

            “Oh, don’t tell me you went and got yourself a new boyfriend already?”

            Key’s eyes went wide before he lightly smacked Insoo on the arm. “Yah! Do you think I’m that easy to change my heart that fast?! Just because I left doesn’t mean that I don’t still love Jonghyun and Changjo.”

            Insoo’s smile started to leave his face, but he shook off Key’s comment before asking, “Then who’s Himchan?”

            “Oh, it’s one of Ricky’s friends. I’m just going to meet with him tomorrow.”        

            “And who is Ricky?”

            “Wow, you sound like a jealous boyfriend,” Key said with a laugh, “I don’t remember you ever being jealous when we were dating.”

            “And look what happened, you ended up leaving me for someone else.”

            “Yea…still sorry about that. Anyway, they’re both in high school and I’m still married. So you can cut the jealous crap. You should know by now that I don’t really like possessive guys; that’s why I got along with you for so long. Anyway, I’m going to bed. Night!” Key said as he gave Insoo a quick peck on the cheek before heading to his room.

            Key didn’t know when he started referring to it as his room, because he had only been there for a week and during that whole week he couldn’t stop thinking about Jonghyun and Changjo. Were they doing alright? Were they eating right? Did Jonghyun remember to separate the colors from the whites in the laundry? And most importantly, did they miss him? Key knew that this was his choice, but he was selfish. Deep down he was wishing that they missed him, even if just a little.

            Now it was Saturday night and Key was rushing out of the apartment to meet Himchan. He had accidently fallen asleep on the couch while watching a movie and now he was thirty minutes late for their meeting. He had two texts from the younger boy, asking where he was and he quickly responded that he was on his way. The diner was only two blocks away from the apartment, so he made it in no time, but when he walked into the diner he saw something that he didn’t want to see; actually it was more like someone. They all noticed Key quickly, because of the damned bell on the door and Key stared at them with wide eyes.

            “Appa!”

“Kibum!”  Both rang out at the same time and Key felt himself running, leaving the diner.

Why was Changjo and Jonghyun there?! Why did they have to find me?! Key thought to himself as he ran as far away from the diner as he could. 


So they've found Key, but Key has run away. Will he ever stop running from them? That is the real question? Anyway moving on!

~Side Talk~

Me: Hey guys! I'm back with another segment of Side Talk. It's been a long time, but at least I'm back. Sad to say that we don't have Key with us today but we do have Jonghyun, Changjo, Himchan, and Yongguk! Welcoome guys! So, I've heard that Key has left.  

Jonghyun: Can we please not talk about that? 

Me: How can you expect me not to talk about Key leaving?! The man that you've spent almost 25 years of you life with?!

Jonghyun: Please, if not for me, then for Changjo.  

Me: But I have viewer questions. If I promise to keep it tasteful can I ask them? 

Jonghyun: Only if you keep them tasteful. 

Me: Yea! I swear. All of our questions today come from SHINee_Babyy and they asked you Jonghyun: "Knowing that Key left, how are you holding up?" 

Jonghyun: Well, I get by day by day. It's hard to think about coming home and Key not being there, but I know that I have to keep it together for Changjo. 

Changjo: Keep it together for me my . 

Jonghyun: Changjo! Watch your language! 

Changjo: Don't act like you care about me! You've just been moping around ever since Key appa left! You don't even notice when I'm home or not! 

Jonghyun: I do notice and it's not my fault that you spend all your time at Ricky's house! 

Changjo: *Scoffs*  Yep, that's exactly where I'm going, Ricky's house. 

Jonghyun: Are you telling me that isn't where you've been going? 

Changjo: Oh so now you care? 

Me: Alright! Break it up you two! I know you're both just upset because Key is gone, but you shouldn't take it out on each other. Anyway, let's move onto the next question. It's for Changjo and they asked "Do you still truly love Key even though you know about his past?" 

Changjo: Of course I love him! I shouldn't have said what I said, but it came out by accident because I was shocked. At least he cared about my whereabouts and fed me more than just ramen every night! 

Jonghyun: I care about your whereabouts! I care about you just as much as Key does! 

Changjo: Sure you do! I'm starting to understand why he cheat...  

Me:*Cuts Changjo off* Whoa, whoa, whoa!! That's enough talking Changjo! 

Jonghyun: No, what were you going to say?  

Me: Jonghyun you really don't want to know, so let's just move on. There is a question here for Himchan, but before that, I have a question for Yongguk. How is your relationship with Changjo going? 

Yongguk: Well it is going really well! I didn't know that his appa was missing and I kind of wish he would of told me *stares at Changjo* 

Changjo: *Whispers* Sorry hyung. 

Yongguk: Besides that, we get to spend a lot of intimate time together. 

Jonghyun: What is that supposed to mean?! 

Yongguk: Whatever you want it to mean, old man. 

Jonghyun: Why I ought to... 

Changjo: Just stop! You're not Key appa so I don't even know why you try. No one is scared of you Jjong appa. 

Me: Ooh...maybe I should ask the last question so we can end this. 

Jonghyun: I think that would be smart Lolo, because I see that I need to take Changjo home and teach him some discipline.  

Me: I don't see or hear anything. Just going to mind my business on that one. Now the last question is for Himchan and they asked: "What happened that caused your appa to start beating you? We're all worried about you." 

Himchan: Well I'm sorry for worrying everyone, but I assure you I'm fine. I just tend to piss him off, but like I've told Ricky, he doesn't hit me often. It's usually just yelling.  

Me: That didn't answer the question.  

Himchan: Well if you want to know what started it, I suggest asking him because I don't know.  

Me: Well there you go! That has been this segment of Side Talk! I hope you've all enjoyed and I hope to see you all next time! 

Jonghyun: *Grabs Changjo by the ear* C'mon! You want to talk big, we'll see how big you talk at home. 

Changjo: Oww!! Appa that hurts! 

Me: I don't see anything. I don't see anything.  

*Everyone leaves studio* 

Me: *Makes phone call* 

*Rings*

*Rings* 

Me: This better pick up! 

*Rings* 

Key: Yoboseyo? 

Me: Finally! I was going to be so pissed if you didn't pick up! 

Key: How did you get this number?! No, forget it. I don't want to know.  

Me: Figured you didn't. Anyway, I don't appreciate you running away from your family the week that I decide to bring the Side Talk back! You're making more work for me. 

Key: Well I don't really care if I'm inconveniencing you. Now tell me what you want or I'm going to hang up. 

Me: You better not! You should be grateful that I didn't drag your ungrateful down here! You have a loving family that you just up and leave and... *let's out a sigh* no, I promised myself I wouldn't get into it. Point is, there is a viewer question for yyou. 

Key: Well hurry up and ask it, I'm busy. 

Me: Don't rush me! Anyway the question or questions are: 'Why do you think leaving will help anyone? Why do you think it's the best thing to do? Who will benefit apart from you? You selfish ungrateful jackass!"  

Key: Did they really say all of that? 

Me: Well I added the selfish, ungrateful, jackass part, but everything else they said. 

Key: *Sighs* I don't see why I have to explain myself to anyone, but by leaving I help Jonghyun and Changjo live a better life. They shouldn't be with someone that is only going to bring them down. So, no I am not the only one benefitting from this. They will learn how to live a better life without me. There are you happy?! Can I go now?! 

Me: Yea, your voice is giving me a headache anymore. 

Key: Whatever *Hangs up* 

Me: He's so ing blind. He really can't see what he has, that's why he keeps running away. Hopefully he can see it before it's too late. 

Ok! I brought it back! Whoo!! Be happy! This one took a long time to do too. I haven't done one in so long that I'm rusty. I hope it was good, more importantly, I hope the chapter was good!  

~Lolo