Dinner Party Disaster

Our Happy Family

            “You did what?!”

            “Invited my boyfriend over for dinner.”

            “And what would possess you to do that without asking me first?!” Key said as he continued to work on dinner. He already checked the message from Jonghyun saying that he wouldn’t be making dinner tonight so he reduced the portion size, but now his son was telling him that a third person was coming and Key was not happy at all.

            “You said you wanted to meet him and I…forgot to ask you…”

            “And what if I forgot to do your laundry or feed you?! Huh? What then?! You would be dirty and hungry!”

            “Appa! Please!! I know you’ll love him once you meet him!!” Changjo resorted to begging. Key thought about it for a minute before giving in. He wanted to know exactly what type of guy had captured his sons’ heart to this extent and if he needed to have him castrated or not.

            “Fine. What time is he coming?”

            “6:30.”

            Key let out a sigh and looked at the clock. It read 5:24. He had time to add another portion of food before the boy arrived. “Alright. You should invite Ricky over as well since I’m going to be making extra food now.”

            “He won’t want to come.”     

            “What did you do now?”

            “Why do you always assume I did something?”

            “Because you always do, do something to piss him off. That’s why.”

            “Well I didn’t do anything this time.” Key stared his son down with a look on his face that basically said ‘bull.’ “Ok. Maybe I forgot to go to his theater audition that I promised to go to but on my behalf he never reminded me!”

            “You should have remembered, especially if you promised that you would go.”

            “Appa, why do you always have to take his side?”

            “I’m not taking anyone’s side. I’m just saying that you were in the wrong. Now, you should still call him over. He hasn’t been over in a while and I would like to see him.”

           “Why don’t you just adopt him if you love him so much?” Changjo mumbled under his breath but Key heard.

            “You know what, that sounds like a great idea. I’ll print out the paperwork today.” He said knowing that it would agitate his son. Sure enough Changjo let out an annoyed sigh before dialing his friend’s number. It took a while but eventually Ricky picked up.

            “Yoboseyo.”

            “Ricky, what are you doing?”

            “Homework. Why?”

            “My dad wants you to come over for dinner.”

            “I already ate.” Changjo turned to his father and told him that Ricky already ate.

            “Ramen doesn’t count as food. Tell him to come over and I will give him real food.”

            “My dad said Ramen doesn’t count and that you should come over.”

            “I’m busy. Plus my…my boyfriend is over.” Changjo heard Ricky stutter and figured that he was lying but he passed the message on to his father.

            “Appa, he said that he’s busy and his boyfriend is over.”

            “Give me the phone.” Key said as he wiped his hands off before taking the phone from his son. “Hello, Ricky? You better be over here by 6 o’clock or I will come and drag you and your boyfriend over here. Got it?” Key threatened and soon was handing the phone back to Changjo with a smile on his face. “He’s coming.”

            “Appa! You can’t just force people to do things that they don’t want to do.”

            “Why not when it works?”

            “Appa!” Changjo whined but Key brushed him off and told him to get ready for dinner soon.

            Changjo was started setting the table around six and by time he was done no one had arrived. He looked at the clock hanging on the wall again and it read 6:15.

            “Appa, I don’t think Ricky is coming.”

            “Oh he’s coming.”

            “What makes you so sure?” He asked knowing that Ricky was mad at him and wouldn’t be coming. Before Key could answer the doorbell rang and he gave his son a knowing look as he went to get the door.

            “I’m so glad you came over Ricky and you must be his boyfriend. Well come in both of you.” Key said in a cheerful voice and Changjo could almost gag at how fake his father sounded. Soon Ricky and his boyfriend walked into the dining room where Changjo was. Changjo acted like nothing ever happened and greeted Ricky as he normally would.

            “Hey Ricky.” He said with a smile.

            “Hey.” Ricky responded and then an awkward silence fell over the room.

            “Alright, everyone sit down and we can start eating as soon as Changjo’s…friend gets here.” Key said as he ushered Ricky and Himchan to take a seat.

            “Appa he’s my boyfriend.”

            “Yea, we’ll decide that after I meet him.” Key said turning back into his normal self. “Anyway how did you two meet?” Key asked Ricky and Himchan while Changjo let out an annoyed groan.

            “Umm…we met at a party hyung.” Ricky answered.

            “Oh, was it that same party that I took you two to?” Key asked now not feeling this guy so much.

            “Yea. We met in one of the bedrooms…”

            “Oh really.” Key said now starting to really not like this guy and Himchan could tell by the way he was glaring at him.

            “Ah but all we did was talk! He was looking really down and I just comforted him. I swear we didn’t do anything. We didn’t even have our first kiss until yesterday!” Himchan said nervously, trying to convince Key that he wasn’t doing anything indecent with the younger boy.

           Key actually liked how hard the boy was trying to impress him even though he wasn’t actually Ricky’s father. “Stop up. You do know that he isn’t Ricky’s father right?” Changjo, however, butted into the conversation as he became more annoyed with Ricky’s so called boyfriend.

            “Ah…sorry.” Himchan said as he put his head down. “I swear I wasn’t up I just didn’t want you to misunderstand. Ricky said that you and your husband are like fathers to him and I just wanted to make a good impression.” Ricky grabbed Himchan’s hand under the table and smiled at the older boy.

            “No, it’s fine. I appreciate it. Now if only Changjo’s friend could be like you. I mean he’s already late.” Key said as he saw that the clock read 6:40.

            “Oh Yongguk is really bad with being punctual. If he said he’s coming though then he’ll come.”

            “You know him?”

            “Yea, we’re best friends.” Himchan said with a smile.

            “Oh then you’ll be able to tell me anything that you think I should know about him.”

            “Ah…well…” Before Himchan could continue to stutter the doorbell rang and Changjo could not have been more relieved. He quickly got up to go and let his boyfriend in.

            When Changjo opened the door he was greeted by Yongguk holding a bottle of what seemed to be wine in his hand. He let him in first before leaning up and planting a kiss on his lips.

            “Did you miss me that much?” Yongguk asked with a sly smile.

            “I always miss you. Now come on, you’re already late and my dad is not too happy about it.” Changjo said as he took Yongguk’s hand in his and led him into the dining room.

            When Key noticed the boys enter he stood up so he could fully assess Yongguk. Yongguk bowed to him and handed him the bottle of wine in his hand. “I picked this up for you and your husband to enjoy, thus the reason I was a little late.”

            “Oh my Key appa doesn’t drink but maybe Jjong appa will like it.” Changjo said as Key took the bottle from Yongguk’s hands. As he read the name on it his eyes went wide. It wasn’t some cheap bottle he originally thought the boy had picked up, no, it was a really expensive and well aged bottle. Key tended to stay away from alcohol but tonight he’s thinking he might just have to have a glass.

            “What are you talking about Changjo? I do drink and I appreciate your gift. Now let’s sit down so we can continue the meal.” Key said as he sat back down and placed the ridiculously expensive bottle of wine by his feet. Everyone had started to eat again and Key almost forgot that he was supposed to be interrogating Yongguk. He’s trying to win me over with expensive wine, huh? Well I can’t be won over that easily. Key thought to himself.

            “So, Yongguk-goon is it?”

            “Ah yea.” Yongguk answered as he swallowed the spoonful of food currently in his mouth.

            “How old are you?”

            “19, I’ll be 20 in March, the same as Himchan.” Yongguk said as he gestured to his friend sitting across from him.

            “19, and you’re still in high school? Why is that? Both of you.” Key said as he turned to Himchan as well, wondering why they were both so old in high school.

            “I got held back one year and that’s why I’m a year behind.”

            “And I went to study abroad for a year, so when I came back they held me back so I wouldn’t have to try too hard to catch up.”

            “I see.” Key had nothing to say for Himchan’s answer. Himchan in all seemed like a really nice guy to Key but something about Yongguk was still rubbing him the wrong way. “So what is it that attracts you to my 14 year old son then? I sure there are plenty of people your age for you to date.”

            “Appa! You didn’t ask Himchan that question and I’m going to be 15 soon.”

            “I know what I asked Himchan and I know what I’m asking Yongguk. They are two different people so I can ask them different questions.” Key said getting slightly annoyed with his sons’ whining. “Now Yongguk, back to my question.”

            “Well, I just like him because it’s him. There’s nothing really specific. I mean he’s cute, has a nice personality and I like being around him. So I guess that’s why I’ve chosen to date him instead of anyone else.”        

            “And how serious do you plan on getting with my son. I’ll have you know right now that I don’t approve of the hickies that I’ve seen left on his skin by you. He is too young to be having such relations with anyone and I would like it if you could appease me by not doing anything he isn’t ready for.” Key said in the cleanest and politest way he knew how. He could see Changjo’s face turning bright red but this was something he felt that he had to make known to the other boy.

            “I know you’re concerned for Changjo but I can’t follow that rule just to make you happy. If Changjo wants to do anything then we will do it. I can let you know that I won’t force him but I won’t stop him either.” Yongguk said not wavering in front of Key and Key felt like he was about to get up and slap the younger boy but he restrained himself as he let out a sigh.

            “I understand that you both are young and have hormones raging through you but I am still the parent of this one,” he said as he pointed to Changjo, “and you are technically a legal adult. Now I don’t want to do so but if I have to I can easily call the police and report you for statutory . I don’t think you want that on your record and I would like not to have to do that. So if you could simply not my son that would be great.” Key said slowly losing his composure towards the end of his little spiel.

            “Appa!!” And there Changjo was whining again. Key saw it coming before he even started speaking. “You can’t do that!”

            “I can Changjo and if I have to, believe me I will.” Key stared at Yongguk as he spoke the end of his phrase. Yongguk simply stared back not fazed by Key before standing up from the table.

            “I think I should go Changjo.”          

            “I’ll walk you to the door hyung.” Changjo said as he got up and brought Yongguk out of the dining room but not before glaring at his father one last time. He walked him to the door and after Yongguk put his shoes on he apologized.

            “I’m sorry about all of that. I didn’t think he would be that bad.”

            “It’s alright but if you really want to make it up to me, you should come over to my house and spend the night.” Yongguk whispered into Changjo’s ear as he pulled him into a secure embrace. Changjo felt his cheeks heat up before he pulled away slightly so he could see Yongguk’s face.

            “And how exactly am I supposed to do that? I think my appa is going to notice if I’m missing all night.”

            “Just tell him you’re sleeping at your friend, Ricky’s, house.”

            “Hmm… I can try.” He said as he bit his bottom lip, thinking on how he could actually do this. “I’ll call you if I get out.”

            “I’ll be waiting for that call.” Yongguk placed a small kiss on Changjo’s lips before exiting the house, leaving Changjo to try and figure out a way to get out of the house later.

            The rest of dinner went by without a hitch. Key liked talking to Himchan and approved of him completely for Ricky. Yongguk was a completely different story and after Himchan and Ricky left he didn’t hesitate to tell Changjo what he thought of his “boyfriend.”

            “I don’t like him.” Key said straight out and Changjo looked at him strangely before realizing that he was probably talking about Yongguk.

            “You don’t know him. All you did was interrogate him and then lecture him about what we can’t do together. You didn’t give him a fair chance to show you how nice of a person he is.”

            “He didn’t try to show me either. Instead he got up and left. That boy is completely ill-mannered but that’s a reflection on how his parents raised him.”

            “Appa!! Stop, he is not ill-mannered! You upset him so he left. Would you stay someplace where the host was personally attacking you?”

            “I wasn’t personally attacking him. I asked him question just like I asked Himchan questions.”

            “You didn’t talk to them about their life though! As soon as Yongguk walked in I could see it in your eyes that you weren’t even going to give him a chance.”

            “You know what; I’m done discussing this with you. I’ve already told you that I don’t like him and that’s that.”

            “What do you mean that’s that?” Changjo became nervous that his father was going to tell him that he couldn’t date Yongguk.

            “You can be with him if you really want, but you’re not allowed to go over to his house and if he comes over here either me or your Jjong appa needs to be here. I don’t trust you two alone. If he stops coming off as such a little I might allow you to go on an actual date with him one day.”

            “Appa! That’s not fair! I’m going to be 15 soon; you can’t just go and put restrictions on how I date!”

            “I can and I just did. If you don’t agree with them, well then I guess you can’t date until you’re 19.” Key said as he continued to wash the dishes. Changjo stomped away from him and slammed his bedroom door. Key just let out a sigh as he looked at the clock, it read 8:51.

            “I wonder when Jonghyun is going to come home.” He spoke to himself as he finished the last few pieces of silverware before heading off to shower. Changjo will get over it eventually when he realizes that I’m just looking out for him. Key thought to himself as he looked at Changjo’s closed door.

 

            While all of this was going on, Jonghyun was still in his office working on that EXO song that he had started before. He knew that his boss told him not to anymore but he really hated a song unfinished, even if he never handed it in to be recorded. Time quickly ticked away and before he knew it the song was done and it was 9:50. He had to meet Bomi at the main entrance so that they could go to dinner together. Jonghyun didn’t know what to expect from the dinner meeting but he was hoping that whatever they talked about would give him inspiration for her album.

            After they met at the entrance they headed straight to the restaurant and soon were sitting done looking over the menu. Jonghyun already knew what he wanted because he frequented this particular restaurant a lot when he was still an idol. Yea, it’s been around for that long.

            “Have you decided what you want to eat, Bomi-ssi?”

            “Ah…I was thinking about just getting a salad. They’ve put me on a strict diet plan to lose weight before my debut.”

            “Oh, sorry. I should have known.”

            “No, it’s fine. I’m not supposed to eat after 10 but I guess if it’s something light it won’t be that big of a deal.”  

            “Well I won’t tell on you.” Jonghyun said as he gave the young girl a small smile. The waiter came to take their order and once they were left alone Jonghyun started to ask Bomi questions.

            So Bomi-ssi you said you’re 17 right?”

            “Yea.”

            “Then you’re still in high school.  Have you started thinking about college yet?”

            “Yea, my mother really wants me to go to college.” 

            “So does she not support your wanting to become an idol?”

            “No she does. She just wants me to have a degree as well.”

            “Well your mother is advising you in the right direction. I only got an associate’s degree before I became an idol. I did end up going back later but it was weird since I was so much older. Anyway we’re supposed to be talking about you.”

            “No, it’s fine. I like hearing about Jonghyun-ssi’s life.”

            “Well I can tell you right now that it is not interesting in the slightest. Now Bomi-ssi do you have a boyfriend?” When Jonghyun asked her that question she put her head down and he could tell that she was slightly embarrassed. “I didn’t mean to embarrass you, it’s just I would like to know to see what kind of love songs would suit you if I do decide to write one.”

            “I don’t have a boyfriend.”

            “Have you ever had one?” She shook her head and Jonghyun felt bad for prying so he decided to change the subject. “Do you have any siblings?”

            “No, it’s just me and my mom.”

            “Oh…if you don’t mind me asking what happened to your dad?”

            “My mom said that he left before I was born.”

            “I see…sorry.”

            “It’s ok.” There was an awkward silence hanging in the air but luckily the food came and broke some of that silence. As they were eating another question popped into Jonghyun mind.

            “Bomi-ssi, have you written any music?”

            “Not really. I write poetry sometimes but that’s not very good either.”

            “Hmm… are the poems personal? Like for example would you mind letting me see some of them.”

She shook her head. “They aren’t real private pieces. I can show them to you if you think they could help.”

“Maybe, we might even be able to incorporate them into the songs if they’re really good and then you would be credited as a songwriter as well.”

“Really?” Jonghyun nodded his head and the smile on her face grew immensely. When she smiled she reminded him of someone but he couldn’t quite place who.

They talked for a little while longer and Jonghyun dropped her off at her dorm after dinner before heading home. It was almost twelve when he arrived home and he figured that everyone would be asleep but instead was met by a dim light coming from the kitchen. He walked into the kitchen and saw Key sitting at the breakfast counter drinking what seemed to be a glass of wine. Why is he drinking this late at night? Jonghyun wondered as he walked closer to Key. Key didn’t seem to notice his presence. That small fact alone let Jonghyun know that Key was probably drunk since he normally had the sensory detail of a blind bat.

“Key.” Jonghyun said as he tapped his husbands shoulder. Key turned around and greeted Jonghyun with a smile.

“Jjong! When did you get home?!” Key asked excitedly as he stumbled trying to stand up and hug Jonghyun.

“Key, how much have you had to drink?”

“Hmm… Not a lot. Just a glass.” Jonghyun knew that Key was lying by the way he slurred his words and could barely stand up straight. He looked around for the bottle of wine and soon his eyes landed on it on the counter. Jonghyun went to pick it up to only find it empty. He let out an annoyed sigh before going back over to Key.

“Come on Kibum, let’s get you to bed.” He said as he helped Key steady himself and walked him to their bedroom.

“I’m not tired Jjonggie!! I want you to tell me about your day!! Why did you have to work so late?” Key asked, slightly slurring his words, as Jonghyun laid him on the bed. He was grateful for the fact that Key had put his pajamas on before drinking, so all he had to do was get him into the bed.

“Shh Key. Changjo’s sleeping and we don’t want to wake him up.” Jonghyun said as he pushed Key back down to lay on the bed.

“He’s not here. He went to Ricky’s, so we have the house all to ourselves tonight.” Key said and Jonghyun could hear the change in his tone of voice. It was the tone that he used when he wanted to turn Jonghyun on but for once Jonghyun wasn’t in the mood to have with Key.

            “Well that’s good. We wouldn’t want him to see you like this. Now come on, let’s go to bed.” Jonghyun said as he slid under the covers next to Key and pulled him into his arms. Key kept trying to arouse Jonghyun, however.  “Stop it Key.”

            “Why? Do you not want to have with me?” Key asked as he kept reaching for Jonghyun crotch but Jonghyun kept his hands away. He was too tired to deal with this and all he wanted to do was sleep.

            “Not right now, I don’t. So can we please just go to sleep?” Key was persistent though. Jonghyun knew that when Key drank he had a tendency to get extremely . He usually loved that side of Key that was brought out by alcohol but right now it was proving to only be an annoyance.

            “You won’t have to do anything. I’ll do all of the work.” Key said as he rolled on top of Jonghyun to straddle him. Jonghyun let out a harsh sigh before rolling them over and pinning Key down underneath him. Key had a smile on his face believing he had won but little did he know that he had only pissed his husband off.

            “Kibum stop it!! I’m tired and I want to sleep!!” Jonghyun yelled at him. Key stared back wide eyed. He couldn’t believe that Jonghyun had just yelled at him like that. Jonghyun released his grip on Key before sliding getting off of the bed.

            “J-Jonghyun, where are you going?”

            “I’m going to sleep in Changjo’s room.” Jonghyun said as he left the room and for the first time since they’ve been married they slept in separate beds that night. 


Sorry for taking so long to update. I hope this chapter wasn't a letdown. I've lost a couple of subscribers recently and I'm curious, is this story starting to seem dragged out or boring? If it is can you leave suggestions on what you would like to see more of. I rather try and meet your needs then lose all of my subscribers. For the people that have stayed: I love you all!!

~Lolo