Ricky's Audition

Our Happy Family

The school day ended and Ricky went straight to the auditorium for the audition. He sent a text to Changjo asking him where he was as he waited for the auditions to begin. The room was soon bustling with chatter from other students that had entered and were waiting. Ricky didn’t see anyone he knew but he wasn’t expecting to either since he didn’t have many friends. He removed his phone from his pocket to check and see if Changjo had replied but still nothing. Had he actually forgotten about it? Ricky wondered but before he could sit and ponder that thought the advisor for the club had came out onto the stage.

            She introduced herself before telling everyone to grab a script for the character they were hoping to play. The school was putting on Rent. Ricky decided that he wanted to play Roger and picked up the selected lines for his character. The auditions were soon underway and he kept going over his lines trying to get the emotion right as other students names were being called up.

            “Ok next will be Yoo Changhyun” The advisor called his name and he gathered his courage before heading up to the stage. “Alright Changhyun-goon whenever you’re ready.”

Ricky steadied his breathing, calmed his nerves, and got into character. He recited his lines as confidently as possible but still he knew that the advisor could probably tell he was nervous since his voice wouldn’t stop shaking every now and again. Ricky finished his lines and looked out to the advisor to try and read her expression. It was unreadable though.

            “Thank you Changhyun-goon. You may take a seat now.” Was all she said and that’s exactly what he did. The rest of the students continued to go up and read their lines until everyone had gone. Once everyone was done the advisor went back on the stage to address the group of kids.

            “I would like to thank everyone for auditioning. There are only eight main characters but I don’t want you to be discouraged if you aren’t a main. There will be plenty of supporting roles and…”

            “Wait!! Wait Jun-nim!! I’m here!!” Someone yelled as they entered the auditorium. Ricky turned around to see who it was that entered late and noticed it was the boy that he was talking to at that party.

            “Himchan-ah…you know how I feel about tardiness.”

            “Yes. I’m sorry but my little sister got out of school early today so I had to pick her up. Can I still audition?”

            “Grab a script.”

Ricky watched as he quickly read the script over and then delivered the lines with such charisma. He was happy that the other boy wasn’t auditioning for the same character as him because if he was he knew he wouldn’t get it. After he finished his audition Ms. Jun went back up to finish what she was saying.

            “Now back to what I was saying before we were so rudely interrupted.” She gave Himchan a stern look and he replied with a smile. “Even if you don’t get a main role we still have a lot for you to do. There are plenty of supporting roles and stage work as well. There will be callbacks for part two of the auditions. Since this is a musical we have to see if you can sing. So about two to three people will be called back for each main character. That list will be up outside of this room tomorrow morning.” She thanked everyone again before dismissing them.

            Ricky checked his phone again but still nothing from Changjo. He couldn’t believe that his best friend broke his promise to see him audition.

            “Waiting for your girlfriend to pick you up?” Ricky heard a voice over his shoulder ask. He turned around to see Himchan standing there.

            “H-Himchan-ssi…Your audition was really good.”

            “Thanks but you didn’t answer my question.”

            “Oh. W-What was your question?”

            “Are you waiting for your girlfriend to pick you up?”

            “I don’t have a girlfriend and wouldn’t I be picking her up?”

            “True.”

Soon the advisor walked over to them with a smile on her face. Once she reached them she ended up hitting the back of Himchan’s head. Ricky wasn’t expecting that to happen.

            “Himchan-ah you know I hate to be interrupted.”

            “Eunji noona I really did have to pick up my sister.”

            “Still you could have waited until I at least finished my sentence.”

Ricky felt awkward standing there and watching their interaction so he picked up his bag to head out.

            “Ricky-ah don’t leave yet.” Himchan said as he noticed him trying to sneak away. “Noona I’ll see you later.”

            “Yea, yea. Go.” She shooed him away and Himchan walked with Ricky out of the auditorium.

            “You seem close to Ms. Jun.”

            “Yea, I did a commercial with her and that’s how I met her. That was before she became the advisor for our school’s theater program.”

            “Wait? You’ve done a commercial?!” Ricky asked amazed.

            “Only a couple. Eun Ji noona and I were in a pizza CF together. She only does this in her free time.”

            “Oh so she’s not a teacher here?”

            “Do you not know who she is?” Himchan asked Ricky and Ricky shook his head no. He seriously didn’t either.

            “She used to be in a pretty popular K-Pop girl group. A-Pink?”

            “Really? Wow that’s cool. But…why is she the advisor for our theater program again?”

            “Like I said she does it in her free time. Every now and again she’ll have after school acting lessons as well. Anyway which character did you audition for?”

            “Oh Roger.”

            “You should have gone for Angel.”

            “The drag queen? Why?”

            “Because then I would have tried out for Collin so I could be you love interest.”

            “Well you’ll probably definitely get in so you can just have Ms. Jun change your character to Collin if you really want to be him.” Ricky said completely missing the fact that Himchan was trying to flirt with him. Himchan kept trying though.

            “It won’t be the same if you’re not playing Angel though.”

            “I’m just hoping that I get a part in general. Anyway I need to head home. It was nice talking to you Himchan-ssi.”

            “I can give you a ride home if you like.” Himchan offered.

            “No thank you. It’s not that far of a walk and I don’t want to trouble you.”

            “Why do you keep talking so formally to me? Just speak comfortably.”

            “But you’re older and we’re not close.”

            “True. Well since we can’t fix the age thing, how about we just get closer. Starting with me giving you a ride home.”

Ricky gave in and followed Himchan to his car. He figured that he might be able to become friends with Himchan since his best friend was currently ignoring his existence.

 

            On the other side of town Changjo was at his dance practice and Yongguk was sitting at the back of the room watching him. Changjo was completely into the dance trying his best to show off for Yongguk while Yongguk kept glancing at the clock to see when it would be over. When the class was over Changjo ran straight over to Yongguk with a smile on his face.

            “How was it? It’s really interesting right?” He asked still trying to catch his breath slightly.

            “Yea it was. You’re so sweaty. Maybe one day I’ll be able to make you this hot but we’ll be doing a special dance then.” He said as he handed Changjo his towel. Changjo didn’t miss his not-so-subtle hint about the two of them having . He simply chose not to respond to avoid saying something that sounded stupid or childish.

            “Are you ready to go though?” Yongguk spoke since Changjo wasn’t saying anything.

            “Ah yea… let me just get my things.”

As Changjo was gathering up his things Taemin had come into the room. Key had decided to call him and ask him to make sure Changjo actually went to his dance class. Sure enough Taemin saw Changjo and went straight over to him.

            “Changjo-ah”

Changjo turned his attention to the person that called his name and once he saw it was his uncle Taemin he ran straight for him.

            “Uncle Taemin!” He said with a huge smile on his face. Taemin wasn’t smiling back though. He remembered what Key had told him about how Changjo was acting and he wasn’t too happy with the younger male. Changjo noticed his expression and it caused his own to falter.

            “Come on and get your things. I’m giving you a ride home today.”

            “Did my Key appa call you?

            “Yea, now come on.”

            “It’s ok. My boyfriend is going to take me home. I already told Key appa I would be home on time. Don’t worry.”

            “Boyfriend?” This was the first time Taemin was hearing about this and considering that Key tells him basically everything this must be something he doesn’t know about either. “I think it would be better if I just take you.”

            “Seriously I’m going straight home. Yongguk hyung!” Changjo called Yongguk over and Yongguk walked over tiredly. “This is my boyfriend Yongguk. Yongguk this is my uncle Taemin.”

The two shook hands but Taemin didn’t get that great of a vibe from the boy.

            “I’m going to go now.” Changjo said as he picked his, now packed, bag up. Taemin let out a sigh before dropping the argument.

            “Fine but if you don’t get home by 6:30 your father is going to kill me. Then I will come back from the grave and kill you.”

            “Kay, bye!” Changjo said with a smile on his face as if he hadn’t just been threatened by his uncle.

The two boys made their way to Yongguk’s motorcycle and Yongguk headed towards Changjo’s house. When they arrived it was only 6:00 and Changjo wanted to spend more time with Yongguk. As he handed Yongguk his extra helmet Yongguk could tell that Changjo wanted to say something.

            “Changjo, what’s on your mind?” He asked the younger boy.

            “Nothing, I just wanted to spend a little more time with you.” Changjo said quietly. He didn’t want to seem clingy but he really did like being around him. Yongguk smiled before dropping his kickstand and getting off the bike so he could hug Changjo.

            “Well you can if you want.”

            “How? It’s already 6 and I have to go inside soon.”

            “You can come with me to this club tonight.”

Changjo stared at Yongguk but couldn’t decide how to respond to what he just said. He knew that he wouldn’t be able to go especially since it was a school night but just the thought of it was making him excited. Plus as long as he was home before his fathers found out then it would be fine.

            “So..? Are you willing to sneak out to be with me tonight?” Yongguk asked Changjo as he tightened his arms around his waist. Changjo lowered his gaze from Yongguk’s intense one as he bit the corner of his bottom lip and rolled the idea around his head a couple of times. After a moment he looked up and placed a kiss on Yongguk’s lips.

            “Call me when you get here.” Changjo said with a smile on his face and Yongguk planted another kiss on his lips before pulling away, getting back on his bike.

            “Be ready by 11.” Yongguk said before putting his helmet on and driving off.

 

Inside of the house Key was making dinner but he was paying more attention to clock instead of his stew. Jonghyun came into the kitchen and took a spoonful of the simmering stew. He blew on the tan liquid before bringing it to his lips and having a taste. Jonghyun noticed that Key didn’t reprimand him for dipping into the food before it was ready. That small action told Jonghyun that Key’s mind was elsewhere. Right when he was about to ask he caught Key staring at the clock again. It read 5:58.

            “Key stop looking at the clock. You’re going to give yourself a crick in your neck if you keep staring up.”

            “I’m not looking at it. Oh and I saw you take a sip of my stew.” Key said as he lightly hit Jonghyun’s arm. Jonghyun flinched back from the soft slap.

            “Ah…You didn’t…”

Key heard a motorcycle motor and quickly hushed Jonghyun before going to the sink, opening the curtain and looking out of the window. He saw Changjo with that guy from before in front of the house and he would have run out there if Jonghyun didn’t step behind him, place his head on his shoulder as he wrapped his arms around his waist.

            “Just let them have their moment Key.”

            “And why should I? I don’t know this guy and I don’t like him.”

            “You don’t even know him so how can you not like him.”

            “I don’t like his aura…or his face.” Key said seriously.

Jonghyun let out a small laugh before placing a kiss on Key’s cheek. “Well just he can’t change his face and Changjo likes him. Plus do you want Changjo to be mad at you again for going out there?”

            “I guess not.” Key mumbled under his breath. “But if I see him trying to take advantage of my baby boy I’m going to go out there and separate the two of them.” He spoke in a rushed tone.

            “I believe you. Now how about you go and finish dinner instead of spying on our son?”

Key reluctantly walked away from the window simply because he didn’t want his stew to burn. After a little bit he heard the front door opening and called for Changjo to come into the kitchen.

            “I’m back appas.” Changjo announced as he entered the kitchen. “I told you I would be back by 6:30.”

            “You’re back early Changjo. Did dance let you guys out early?” Key asked.

            “Huh? Oh no. My boyfriend drove me back.” Changjo answered with a smile on his face as he took a seat at the kitchen table.

            “Boyfriend huh? You mean that guy on the motorcycle?”

            “Yea, his name is Yongguk and he’s really nice. You guys would love him.”

Key felt a small twitch in his eye as his son talked about this so called ‘boyfriend.’ He felt like Changjo was too young to be dating anyone; especially someone that seemed to be a lot older than him and probably had more experience.

            “I think you’re too young to have a boyfriend Changjo.” Key said as he started to spoon out the stew into bowls.

            “I’m not too young appa. I’m almost 15.”

            “And how old is he?”

            “…19.”

            “Well he’s too old for you.”

            “Key stop judging the boy before you meet him.” Jonghyun chided. “Why don’t you invite him over for dinner sometime this week Changjo? I think your Key appa would be much more comfortable after he got to meet him and talk to him.” 

            “That’s a great idea Jjong appa. Key appa I know you will love him. He’s really sweet and funny too.”

            “We’ll just have to see about that.”  

They started on their meal and dinner was going by smoothly until something struck Key as odd.

            “Changjo how is Changhyun doing? He hasn’t been over in a while. Are you guys doing alright?”

            “Yea. We’ve just been busy I guess and haven’t had much time to really catch up.”

            “He usually comes over for dinner. I hope he isn’t just eating ramen tonight.” Key stated as he began to worry about the other boy.

            “He’s probably fine appa. Anyway I’m done so I’m going to go to my room and work on some homework. I’ll see you guys in the morning.”

A chorus of goodnights was said and Changjo retired into his bedroom. Key was left to wash the dishes and Jonghyun went to take a shower. When Key entered his shared bedroom with Jonghyun he saw him coming out of the shower drying his hair with a towel.

            “Shower’s all yours Key.”

            “I think I’m just going to shower in the morning.” Key said as he started to take off his clothes and retrieve his pajamas from the drawer.

            “You always like to shower at night though Key. Are you still thinking about Changjo’s boyfriend?” Jonghyun asked as he walked over to Key, put his arms around him, and pulled him into a soft embrace.

            “I don’t know Jonghyun. Just something about that guy…I feel like he’s changing Changjo. I mean it seems like Changjo is even blowing Changhyun off to hang out with that boy.”

            “Key we don’t know what’s going on in their lives and we shouldn’t just assume things. They could just be in different clubs or something. Anyway stop thinking about it and let’s just go to bed.”

            “Yea…” Key got into bed with Jonghyun but he could make the feeling in his gut go away. 


New chapter!! Yay!! So Changjo missed Ricky's audition and has agreed to meet Yongguk tonight. Key also has a bad feeling about Changjo's so called "Boyfriend." Will his instincts turn out to be true or not?

~Side Talk~

Me: Welcome to a new segment of Side Talk. I've been gone for a while on a much needed vacation.

Key: What you needed is to see a shrink because you're bat insane.

Me: You made me this way honey.

Key: Oh please don't ever say that again. You're going to make me puke.

Me: Whatever. Today in the studio with us we have the JongKey couple and Ricky. Where's Changjo today by the way?

Key: He had dance practice after school today. He said that he will try and get here as soon as possible.

Me: Aww I miss him. Well at least we have Ricky here today. So how do you think your audition went Ricky?

Ricky: I think it went well. I'm hoping to get a part.

Me: You probably will. Are you upset that Changjo didn't show up to your audition even though he promised to come?

Key: Wait! Changjo promised to come and he didn't?! Why would he do something like that?!

Me: Because he was more concerned with making out with Yongguk than seeing his best friends audition. I can't blame him though. I mean have you seen that boy? He is hot.

Key: Alright gross. You're like 20 years older than him. Plus that still doesn't give him the right to miss Ricky's audition especially when he made a promise.

Ricky: It's ok Key hyung. I don't mind...

Me: No he's right. It's not ok. You shouldn't let him push you around Ricky. Oh and why do you call Key hyung when he's so much older than you.

Jonghyun: Because Key told him to. I guess he's trying to stay young.

Me: Well that's one thing he's not. Just accept it Key, you're getting old.

Key: Shut up! I'm not getting old. I look just as good as I did in high school.

Me: Sure...

Key: You're just mad because you look like you're older than me!

Me: Is that the best you can do Key? Wow you've really lost your touch. Anyway that's the end of this segment. See you all next time!!

Guys look what I brought back!! I know it isn't the best one I've done thus far but at least it's something. Anyway that's all for now oh and if you have questions I am accepting them again and will try to answer them in the next Side Talk. 

~Lolo