Changjo's 14th Birthday

Our Happy Family

November 15, 2033

            The Kim family was enjoying family dinner that Key had prepared together like they always did, along with Ricky of course. Changjo though just kept looking at the clock and at the moment it said 10:15. Dinner continued and everyone noticed Changjo’s fidgeting but decided to ignore it and hold back their chuckles. When dinner was over and Changjo cleared the table like he was told he quickly grabbed Ricky’s hand and ran into his room. Once inside both his appas started laughing.

            “He’s like this every year.” Jonghyun said.

            “I know. Maybe we should pretend like we didn’t prepare anything this year.”

            “Should we? Hmm…” Jonghyun seemed to think it over. Pranking their son. That seemed like a fun idea.

            “Alright let’s do it!”

They both continued to laugh as the washed they dishes and let the time slowly slip by. In Changjo’s room though he was practically bouncing off the wall.

            “Changjo calm down. It’s barely 11 o’clock.”

            “I know but it’s going to be my birthday soon and I can’t wait to see what my appas got me.”

            “What did you ask for?” Ricky asked.

            “Nothing.” Changjo said as he finally stopped bouncing and sat down on his bed having worn himself out.

            “Then why are you so excited?”

            “Because I know they’ll probably still get me something amazing and my Key appa makes this awesome cake every year.”

            “I have to admit it’s pretty tasty.”

            “Yep! And I’m no longer going to be a pre-teen but a full grown teenager.”

            “It’s not that much different.” Ricky said slowly starting to tune Changjo’s excitement out.

            “Whatever Mr. ‘My-birthday’s-in-February-so-I’m-so-much-older-than-you.’” Changjo said imitating Ricky’s voice.

            “I don’t sound like that.”

            “Sure you don’t. Anyway what did you get me for my birthday?”

            “You’re just going to have to wait until it’s your birthday.” Ricky teased as he stuck his tongue out at Changjo. Changjo put him into a headlock and they wrestled around for a bit. Soon enough it was one minute before midnight and Changjo was back to lightly bouncing on his bed. Then once the clock midnight he jumped and screamed “IT’S MY BIRTHDAY!!”

Ricky laughed at the silliness of his friend before going up and giving him a hug.

            “Happy birthday Changjo.” Ricky said squeezing his friend tight. He still had a crush on Changjo but was trying hard to kill his feelings and just be friends with him. So far it was sort of working but when they hugged his heart always felt ready to jump out of his chest. When they separated from the hug Changjo still had a huge smile on his face waiting for his appas to come in any second now. He waited and waited until almost five minutes had passed and still nothing.

            “Where are they?”

            “Maybe they’re still setting up. Let’s go out and see.” Ricky said as he took his friends’ hand and led them out of the bedroom.

When they entered the kitchen Changjo saw his appas sitting at the table drinking coffee like today wasn’t his special day.

            “Oh hi Changjo. You’re still awake?” His Key appa asked him.      

            “Yea.”

            “Well you should go to bed soon. It’s getting sort of late.” Jonghyun added and Changjo couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Did they not know what today was?!

            “Do you know what today is?” He asked them looking at both of their faces. Key took another sip of his coffee before looking at the clock and answering him.

            “Hmm…it’s 12:07 so it’s officially Sunday. Also your bedtime, so you and Ricky should go and change into your pj’s and get ready for bed.” Key said trying to stop himself from bursting out laughing.

Changjo looked at Ricky before turning his gaze back to his appas. Did they really forget it was my birthday? He wondered to himself.

            “Come on Changjo, Ricky, off to bed now.” Key said again as he got up to wash his mug out. He was also going to get the cake that he made for Changjo out of the fridge deciding that they had let their son suffer for long enough.

            “Jonghyun appa don’t you know that today is my birthday?!” Changjo exclaimed saddened that his own appas forgot.

            “Oh really. Well happy birthday. How old are you this year? 16?” He asked still going along with the prank.

            “No! I’m 14! I can’t believe you forgot!” He screamed as tears slowly started to fall from his eyes. Just then Key turned off the lights and came in with his homemade birthday cake, a lit with 14 candles and one for good luck.”

            “Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Changjo! Happy birthday to you!” Key and Jonghyun both sang out as Key slowly placed the cake on the table.

            “Wait? This was all a joke?” He sobbed out as he looked at the cake that said ‘Happy 14th Birthday Changjo’ on it. Both of his appas started laughing as they went over to Changjo and gave him a hug.

            “Of course it was a joke. Do you ever think that we would really forget your birthday?” Key said as he squeezed Changjo tighter. When both of his appas released him from the hug Changjo turned to Ricky.

            “Did you know about this?!” He asked as he wiped the last remaining tears from his eyes.

            “No! I swear!” Ricky exclaimed putting his hands up in defense.

            “Don’t worry Ricky wasn’t in on it. We decided to do this only a little while ago. It was basically your Key appa’s idea though.” Jonghyun said.

            “Thanks for throwing me under the bus jerk. Anyway Changjo hurry up and blow out your candles before the whole cake is covered in wax.”

Changjo closed his eyes and made a wish before blowing out his candles. Key then went to get plates and cut the cake. After everyone finished their cake and Jonghyun started to clear the table Changjo looked to his Key appa for his present.

            “What? Why are you staring at me like that?” Key said.

            “Appa~ My present~” Changjo sang in a cheery voice.

            “You’re already fourteen. Aren’t you too old for presents?”

            “You’re never too old for presents!!” Changjo cheered while slightly bouncing in his chair. Key just laughed.

            “I guess you’re right. Well this is from your Jjong appa.” Key said handing him a nicely wrapped box.

            “Jjong appa wrapped this?” Changjo asked knowing that his Jjong appa’s wrapping was crappy.

            “Of course not. I did. Anyway open it up.”

            “Wait!” Jonghyun yelled coming back to where the group was. “I know you weren’t about to open my gift without me being here.”

            “Oh calm down. You’re here now. Ok Changjo open it.” Key said with a smile, waiting for Changjo to see what was inside.

Changjo started to rip away the paper and opened the box. Inside was a designer shirt and pair of jeans.

            “Oh my GOD!!! You did not get me this?! Do you know how expensive these are?!”

            “Yes, yes I do.” Jonghyun said with a smile as he thought back to when he brought them. He personally felt like 200 dollars was way too much for a pair of jeans and then the shirt was about 120 but it wasn’t like he didn’t have the money. So he brought them for his son.

            “Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!” Changjo screamed as he hugged both of his appas really tightly.

            “Why are you hugging your Key appa? He didn’t buy it for you?”

            “Oh shut up. Now Changjo my gift isn’t really a gift but well…I’m going to let you dye your hair.”

            “Wait?! Seriously?! I’ve been asking to dye my hair forever and you always said no.”

            “Well I guess you’re old enough so it will be alright. Just no crazy colors! Only a natural color ok?”

            “Yes! Alright Key appa only a natural color!”

           “Ok. I’ll take you to my salon tomorrow and do it myself. I don’t trust anyone else touching your hair but me. Oh and Ricky you can come too and I’ll give you a nice hair cut. Your mom said she didn’t mind me styling your hair as long as I don’t dye it.”

            “Thank but its ok Key hyung. You don’t have to do my hair.”

            “Come on Ricky! It will be fun and we’ll look so cool when we go to school on Monday.”

            “Hmm…Ok then.”

            “Yes! This is going to be awesome! Thanks again Key appa and Jonghyun appa!” Changjo said hugging them again before retreating back into his room with Ricky.

            “I'm glad he liked his present. I was nervous that it wouldn’t be his style.” Jonghyun said cleaning up the ripped wrapping paper.

          “You did well Jonghyun. I’m glad that some of my fashion sense has rubbed off on you after all these years.”

            “Hey! I had plenty of fashion sense before meeting you.”

            “Please! You had as much fashion sense as a potato.”

            “I find that offensive!”

Key simply laughed before wrapping his arms around Jonghyun and giving him a kiss.

            “Sorry babe but the truth hurts sometimes. I still love you though.”

            “I guess I love you too.” Jonghyun stated giving Key another peck on the lips. Changjo’s birthday prank was over and things were now calm in the Kim household as everyone settled down to go to bed.


Update! Yay! I'm surprised you guys haven't started begging me to update since it took so long. This was sort of a filler chapter but I just wanted to have their lives calm for a moment before I start back up with the drama. You actually have no idea what I have planned but I promise you it will be beautiful!  

~Lolo