Identity Crisis

Our Happy Family

Changjo was sitting with his friends from school while looking around the lunch room for his new friend.

Hmm… Zelo said we would have lunch together today. I wonder where he is. Changjo thought as he continued to look for Zelo. He soon saw Zelo walking over to them with a boy with short brown hair walking next to him.

            “Hey Changjo! This is my hyung Jongup that I was telling you about.” Zelo said as he gestured to the boy besides him.

            “Hello, I’m Changjo and these are my friends. That’s Ricky, Niel, Byunghyun but we call him L. Joe, Minsoo, and Chanhee but we call him Chunji.” Changjo introduced all his friends to Zelo and Jongup before they all sat down to have their lunches. Changjo turned his attention to Ricky while everyone was eating and tapped his shoulder to get his attention.

            “Ricky, Zelo told me that they have a dance club here and that the auditions are on Thursday. Do you want to try out with me?”

            “I don’t know Changjo. I think I want to get settled into the school before trying out for clubs.”

            “You guys should try out. It’s really fun and we do a lot of cool dances. We even perform for the school sometimes.” Jongup jumped into the conversation to try and convince the other boy to join.

            “Hmm…I don’t know. We’ll see.” Was all Ricky said before turning back to his lunch.

The rest of the day went by smoothly and Changjo was happy to have already made a new friend. Changjo and Ricky didn’t have dance lessons afterschool today so at the moment they were both walking to Changjo’s house.

            “So Ricky are you going to try out with me tomorrow or not?” Changjo asked as he went into his kitchen to get some snacks for the both of them after they arrived at his house.

            “I don’t know. I’m not that into dance anymore.”

            “What do you mean you’re not into dance anymore?! You’ve always loved it!”

            “Yea, but I think I just want to try something different.” Ricky said as he lazily surfed through TV shows.

            “Like what?!” Changjo asked as he sat next to his best friend.

            “I don’t know. Maybe acting or something.”

            “Come on Ricky! You have to do this with me!” Changjo whined as he begged his friend to tryout with him. Ricky seeing his best friend begging like this couldn’t help but give into his request.

            “Alright fine. I’ll tryout with you tomorrow.” Ricky said slightly disappointed in how easily he gave into his best friend.

            “Yes! This is going to be so fun Ricky! I just know it!” Changjo exclaimed excitedly happy that Ricky would be trying out with him.

 

            Time soon started to slip away as Ricky and Changjo watched TV and put off any homework that was assigned to them on the first day of school until it was already time for dinner. That was when Key told them to wash their hands so that they could eat.

            “Key appa guess what!” Changjo exclaimed as he sat at the table next to Ricky and started to put food onto his plate.

            “What Changjo?”

            “I made two new friends in school today and one of them dances. His name is Zelo and he told us that there are tryouts for the dance club at school tomorrow! So Ricky and I will be trying out. Isn’t that great Key appa?!”

            “Of course that’s great. I just know that you two will get in and this boy Zelo? He seems nice. Zelo is a weird name though.”

            “That’s not his real name Key appa. His real name is Junhong but Zelo is his nickname.”

            “Jonghyun? He has the same name as you and your Jjong appa.” Key said finding it weird how many people could have that name.

            “Not Jonghyun appa. JUN. HONG.” Changjo said pronouncing each syllable clearly. “Plus my name is Changjo not Jonghyun.”

            “Well it is now. We changed your name to Changjo because we thought it would be too confusing having two people in this house with the same name.”

            “Why am I just finding out now that my real name isn’t Changjo?”

            “We didn’t think it was necessary for you to know. If you really want though you can change your name back to Jonghyun.” Key said as he continued to eat his dinner as if he didn’t just reveal a secret to his son.

            “I don’t want to change it now! It would feel weird! I just wish you would have told me!” Changjo said getting slightly worked up. It almost felt like his identity had been changed along with his name. 

            “Well I’m telling you now and don’t raise your voice at the table.”

Changjo turned to his Jjong appa then to see if he had anything to say about this situation.           

“Jjong appa…”

“I’m sorry that we didn’t tell you sooner Changjo but the fact that your birth name isn’t actually Changjo doesn’t change who you are now does it?”

“I guess not. It’s just weird to know that it’s not my actual name.”

“Well it may not be your birth name but it’s still your name. Again if you want to change it you can. Me and your Key appa won’t be upset if you decide to change your name.”

Changjo shook his head at his Jjong appa’s suggestion. Even though Changjo wasn’t his real name it’s what he grew up with and he wasn’t going to change it now.

            “No. I will keep my name appa. I guess I was just a little surprised to find all of this out.”

            “Well at least we didn’t hide the fact that you were adopted from you.”

            “I guess that’s true. I probably would have figured it out though. I mean neither of you could have given birth to me so I would find out eventually that I was adopted.”

            “Hey! I could have had with a girl and had you! You never know!” Key then exclaimed.

            “Sure you could have Key appa. I might believe that coming from Jjong appa but not you. You’re about as gay as they come. Plus with the way you act with Jjong appa he’s probably your first and only person that you’ve had with. I mean Jjong appa was probably a player before he met you.”

Jonghyun and Key looked at each other before staring back at their son. They don’t know when he started speaking so boldly but they could already sense that it was only get worse as he got older. Also the fact that he thought that Key had only slept with Jonghyun they both knew was as far from the truth as he could get. They weren’t going to tell him that now and maybe not even ever. So Key decided to just go along with Changjo’s idea of him.

            “You’re right. Your Jjong appa was a player but that doesn’t mean that I didn’t have my fair share of boyfriends either. But let’s not talk about that anymore and just enjoy our dinner.” Key said as he moved the topic away from his past and continued to enjoy a warm dinner with his family.  


Here's you're weekly update guys! I know it was short but I really need to start doing some work. I want to try and update either later today or tomorrow because there is a lot more that I wanted to say in this chapter but again I really need to do my work for my classes tomorrow. Anyway I hope the chapter was decent enough and I will see you all next time. 

~Lolo