Our New Addition

Our Happy Family

 Today was finally the day. After much planning and talking about it Jonghyun and I were finally going to adopt a child. We’ve been going back and forth to the adoption agency, filling out forms, taking psychological evaluations to make sure we were fit to raise a child, and they even wanted to know about our financial standing. I feel like they gave us the run around just a little bit more since we were a same couple but I don’t care about all of that now. Today we have officially been approved for adoption and would meet our new son.

            Jonghyun and I were now driving to the adoption agency to go and meet the new addition to our family. When we arrived we gave the lady at the front desk our name and soon someone came out to take us further into the building. There we soon met with the cutest baby boy we had ever seen. He was sitting down playing with blocks with a huge smile on his face. He didn’t even notice our presence in the room since he was so engrossed with his game.

            “Jonghyun come here.” The woman soon called his name. He looked up at her and then got up on shaky legs to try and walk over to us. He fell a couple of times but soon made it. She picked him up and showed him to us.

            “This is Choi Jonghyun. He will be your new son as soon as you sign the last bit of paperwork we have for you.” She said with a smile as she bounced him lightly on her hip. He seemed to want to get down though and go back to playing instead of interacting with us. I looked to Jonghyun and smiled at him.

            “He has the same name as you.”

            “I know. That might get kind of confusing though.”

            “Well we also call him Changjo as kind of a nickname. He’s always making up stories and games so we gave him that name.”

            “Oh I see. Changjo as ‘to create’. So he’ll answer to that as well?”

            “Yea. So I guess you can call him that if Jonghyun gets too confusing.”

            “Well we can discuss that after we sign the paperwork.” I said with a smile. She then brought us into her office and we signed the last few documents that needed to be signed. We were also given his birth certificate and medical records.

            “How old is Changjo by the way?” I asked as we were leaving her office to go back to the play room and get him.

            “He’s already 23 months so his 2nd birthday is next month. He eats regular food and he really likes pancakes. He’s very independent for his age too. Always trying to do things himself.” She said with a smile. “Oh and he loves music. Anytime music is playing he’ll get up and start dancing. He has a pretty good rhythm for a child his age as well. Unlike most kids who just jump around.”

Jonghyun and I smiled as she kept telling us more and more about Changjo. We soon arrived back to the room where Changjo was now drawing a picture. We went over to him and I got down to his level to ask him what he was drawing.

            “Is that you in the picture?” I asked him. He looked up at me and stared at me for a while before nodding and turning back to his picture.

            “What are you doing in the picture?” I asked still trying to start a conversation with him.

            “Dancing”

            “Do you like to dance?”

He nodded his head again. Soon Ms. Lee came over to the other side of Changjo and ruffled his jet black hair.

            “Changjo this is your new appa.” She said as she gestured to me. He looked back at me and seemed to be studying my face.

            “You’re going to live with him and your other appa.” She said as she then gestured to Jonghyun.

Changjo looked from me to Jonghyun before speaking again.

            “Changjo has two appas?” He asked looking confused.

            “Yes you have two appas.”

            “Why?”

            “Because you have a special family because you’re a special boy. Now do you want to go and pack up your toys so you can live with your new appas?”

Changjo turned to me then and touched my face.

            “Changjo appa?” He asked me and I felt like crying.

            “Yes. I’m Changjo’s appa now.”

We went with Changjo to the room he stayed in and helped him to pack up his toys and a couple of outfits that he really liked. After packing up his stuff we went down to the car and put Changjo in the car seat we had brought.

            “Changjo no like chair.” He said as he tried to get out of it. He probably didn’t like having to be restrained. He seemed to be a type of boy with a lot of energy.

            “It’s only for a little while Changjo.” I said trying to calm him down but he kept being fussy. Luckily it only took about 15 minutes to get home.

            Oh I didn’t tell you. When Jonghyun and I returned from our honeymoon he let me know that he brought us a house. Yep a house! So now we live on the outskirts of the city in a nice suburban area. We had a backyard with an in ground pool and recently we even brought a swing set that we figured our new child would be able to enjoy.

            We’ve enjoyed our honeymoon years well in this house and now we were moving onto our family years. I mean I am 26 now and Jonghyun is 27. It’s about time that we settled down and stopped running around like we were still teenagers.

            Once we got to the house I unbuckled Changjo from his seat and set him down on the grass. He immediately started to run around the front yard and it took forever to catch him.

            “Come on Changjo it’s chilly out here. How about we go inside and I will show you your new room?”

            “It have a bed!”

I laughed at his silliness. “Of course it has a bed.” I said as I carried him into the house while Jonghyun took his bag out of the car.

            When we got inside I brought him straight into his room and Jonghyun followed right behind us. I’m kind of glad they didn’t give us a baby because we ended up buying a bed for a toddler figuring they would give us someone old enough for a bed. Luckily we were right. Changjo immediately let go of my hand and tried his hardest to climb on the bed. I gave him a little push and soon he was bouncing on the bed.

            “Whoa don’t bounce on it Changjo.” I said as I grabbed him and made him sit.

            “Let him have some fun.” Jonghyun then said.

            “What if he falls and hits his head? I’m not trying to take any chances. Oh and did you empty the pool yet?”

            “Yes, I did it yesterday.”

            “Good. I don’t want him accidently falling in and drowning.”

            “Wow you’re already worrying and we’ve barely had him for an hour.”

            “Well I just want to make sure everything is child proofed for him.”

While talking to Jonghyun Changjo got off of the bed and went running out of the room. I quickly followed behind him and found him making himself dizzy in the living room. I grabbed him to stop his spinning and then sat him on the couch.

            “Key you have to let the boy play. You can’t just keep stopping him from having fun.”

            “I’m just stopping him from hurting himself.”

            “Yea, yea.”

Jonghyun then went over to Changjo and lifted him up.

            “Key appa is being a meanie isn’t he Changjo.”

Changjo just nodded his head.

            “Do you want to come with your Jjong appa and play on the swings?”

            “Swings! Swings!” He exclaimed excitedly.

Jonghyun put Changjo’s coat on and took him out into the backyard. Changjo ran immediately to the swings but fell down along the way. I felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest but he just got back up and started running again. I watched as Jonghyun played with him on the swing set and saw how happy Changjo looked and it made my heart swell. I guess raising a child won’t be too bad if you can make them smile like that.


I said I was going to wait to upload this story but I just couldn't help myself. So here we go! Jonghyun and Key have adopted their new son Changjo and Key is already being over protective. I can't wait to see what happens in later days of raising him.

Oh and by the way there will be a lot of time jumps in this story. Since I don't want to spend too much time with baby Changjo and can't wait to get to teenage Changjo but I'll try to keep it moving smoothly.

I hope you guys are all excited for this story because I know I am!!

~Lolo