Take the bus

K-World (Create Your Own Adventure)

 

Feeling that our bags were too heavy to take a walk, Rynn and I waited for a bus. It came 5 minutes later, and we piled in. The bus was full of people that were coming home from work, so I unconsciously readjusted my sunglasses.

We found two seats in the back when a group of people got off the bus at our stop.
“Here, take the window seat,” Rynn said, moving out of the way for me.
I sat down, and he sat right next to me.

The sun was beginning to go down, and I just realized that my stomach was growled in hunger. The bus lurched forward and we drove down the road.

I carefully opened the box of cereal and reached inside for a handful of cornflakes.

What?” I asked when Rynn eyed me. “I'm hungry.”
He gave a soft laugh. “You and your appetite.”
“Don't tell me that you're not hungry,” I said, poking him in the arm.
He looked at me. “I can wait for dinner.”
I shrugged. “Fine. Suit yourself.” I ate a few more cornflakes.

The ride look us around a few blocks. It was just then that I realized how long it had been since we've been here, which was a year or so. I could barely remember the street names and which blocks to turn at. We had been sort of bullying our manager into letting us come back to Seoul, and after several weeks of nagging, he finally agreed we could come for the summer after our promotions were done in the U.S.

Oh, we're here,” Rynn stood up and nudged me just as I was spacing out.

Okay,” I got up and followed him off the bus.

As Rynn pulled the door open for me, I tripped, making the cereal fly everywhere.
I muttered a curse word.
“It's okay, just leave it,” the lobby guy said.
I bowed twice. “Jwehsonghapnida.”

He waved me off. “No it's okay.”
I bowed again and the two of us headed towards the elevators.

When the doors had safely closed behind us, I sighed.
“Don't say anything,” I muttered.

Rynn shrugged. “Wasn't going to.”

I looked at him. “I forgot you weren't Kyran.”

We've known each other since we were two,” he said, looking at me skeptically.

I blinked. “Yeah, sorry. You're right.”

I laughed weakly. “If you were Kyran, you'd say: 'Nice one'. You know his sarcastic voice.”

He gave a small smile. “Well, then. It's a good thing you're with me, then.”

I laughed, and he joined in, just as the elevator doors opened to the next floor.
He's right, I thought, watching him open the room door. I'm glad I have him around.

 

 

The next day (chapter 39)