Let's Be "Friends"

Memories of Memories

TaeTiSeo’s “Twinkle”

*******************

Kai’s POV~

I walked into my next class and, looks like luck’s on my side; Eunjae and I were the only two people there so far. There were still only a few minutes until class officially started so everyone probably took this time to wander around until the late bell rang.

Perfect.

I took a seat beside her and waited for her to look up. Yet she didn’t budge, her eyes continued to dance across the pages of her book as she flipped to the next page.

I coughed out loud so it would get her attention and still – nothing.

I heard the hallways beginning to crowd and I didn’t want tons of people coming in, thinking that I suddenly had an interest in her. So I called her name and made up some excuse,

“Eunjae, did we have any homework for this class?”

Eunjae’s POV~

That voice.

I made a mental note on what page I was on and what line I just finished reading before turned my head to the side, checking to see if it was really him that I just heard.

His elbow rested on the side of the desk, leaning towards me just enough so I could faintly smell his cologne. I felt my glasses slide down the bridge of my nose and I quickly pushed them back up, looking at Kai.

I remembered his question and shook my head no. He gave out a sigh of relief and smiled at me,

“Well that’s good to hear. Did I miss a lot of notes?” I felt my hands numbly reach for my notebook as I handed it to him. The bell rang and the student’s began to file in one by one, ruining the eerie silence there was before.

“Aigoo, too late. Can I borrow your notebook some other time though? Please Eunjae?~”

My heart thumped against my chest yet again at the sound of his voice.

He said my name, he still remembers me.

I felt myself squeak out a faint,

“Sure.” And class began. Out of all the seats, why did Kai choose the one right next to me? That seat was even taken by another student yesterday. The class was nearly full until the owner of the seat beside me came in and stood in front of Kai.

“Kai-oppa, that’s my seat.” She whined, pouting her bottom lip out like a child would. I looked down at my hands in my lap, not saying anything since it wasn’t any of my business.

Although I was extremely happy that Kai chose to sit beside me, that was still the girl’s chair. I felt someone’s hand wrap around my shoulder and I was tilted over towards Kai, realizing his hand was the one that was around me.

“Aw can I please sit here? I don’t wanna miss an opportunity to sit next to Eunjae.” My heart was pounding against my chest at the mention of my name. I was pretty sure my cheeks were as red as a tomato as I looked down sheepishly, trying to hide my burning face.

I heard the girl click her tongue in annoyance but she eventually replied,

“Hmph, fine. But only because it’s Kai-oppa.” She walked away and found another seat next to some of her friends. I was still speechless about what had just happened before me and I turned to look at him. He gave me a friendly smile and I asked him,

“Why did you want to sit next to me?” I looked around and sure enough, there were tons of more suited people for him. There were the pretty girls in the front and the jocks on the side, yet here he is; sitting next to me in the back corner.

“Because I wanna get to know you. We can be friends right?” Kai asked, giving me puppy dog eyes. I could’ve died a happy child at that moment.

He wants to be friends with me.

“Is that a yes?” Kai asks, a small smile forming already. I gave him a shy nod and he wrapped his arms around my small frame. This kind of physical contact from my prince is too overwhelming, my heart was threatening to jump out of my chest and I was feelings light headed from this heat.

“Yay, Eunjae you’re really cute you know that?” He freely gave out the compliment. I had that face on where I questioned myself,

Is this real life?

I could only shake my head vigourously, trying to hide my bright red face. He only pinched my cheeks and muttered,

“Kyopta~”

I pushed my glasses up to the bridge of my nose and replied,

“N-no, I’m only average.” He tilted his head, as if examining me. I grew self-conscience at his stare and asked him,

“What’s wrong? Do I have something on my face?” He reached his hand out and I thought,

Oh god oh god oh god, if he touches my face I think I’ll just faint right here in my seat. What a great impression to make.

I tightly shut my eyes and felt his hands reaching out for my frames. I felt them being pulled off my face and I opened my eyes to see a blurred out world.

“K-Kai I need those to see.” I said, hesitantly reaching out to try to grab my glasses from his grip. Yet he held them farther away and stared down at me.

“Ne Eunjae, you’re really pretty without your bug-eyed glasses. Now I can clearly see your pretty caramel colored eyes.”

How many compliments will he give today until my heart bursts from joy?

The professor walked in and Kai agreed to hand me back my glasses. It was time for class and I had to be serious and focus all my attention to the board. Yet how could I when Kai continued to poke my rib and send me little notes? Not to mention the fact that his compliments continued to play out in my head, none of them planning to leave my memory anytime soon.

 

Kai’s POV~

I had to restrain my smirk from appearing and ruining my façade. Eunjae’s so easy to play with, within minutes I already had her melting in the palm of my hands through the easiest compliments. You’d think that she’d be a nun and automatically send a cross flying my way, telling me to back off. But she wasn’t, she was almost … like a child, who just found the last cookie in the jar.

This was easier than I thought.

I continued to play out my role as the new “friend” and tried to get her to talk to me during class. Yet that seemed to fail, seeing as school still mattered a great deal to her. Her eyes continued to scan the board as her notebook continued to fill with endless notes.

I couldn’t help but feel accomplished at hitting the jackpot; knowing that I just managed to get the smartest kid in the school to fall into my trap.