Tread Carefully

Memories of Memories

4Minute “Won’t Give You (안줄래)“

************

Eunjae’s POV~

I stopped knocking on the door after my nth knock and slumped down onto the cool wooden floor. Even after me knocking on the door for a good ten minutes, Tao still wouldn’t answer me. I checked the lake but he wasn’t there and I’m positive he’s in his room because when I leaned my ear towards the door, I faintly heard his usual music playing softly in the background.

Why he left school and won’t answer anybody is beyond me. I’m worried if he’s alright but he’s always done this, keeping everything to himself.

“Eunjae he still won’t budge?” I looked up and saw Umma looking down at me, giving me a pitiful smile. My head fell down in defeat and she only laughed at my response.

“Come on sweetie, the floor’s no place for you to sit. How about we have a cup of tea outside hm?” She reached her hand out to me and I accepted it, her small and frail frame able to lift me up to my feet.

I gathered two cups from the cupboard and stuck a tea bag into each one as Umma poured in some boiling water. I carefully grabbed both tea cups and walked outside, careful as to not spill any of the hot tea.

We sat down on the front porch and all the kids ran about happily outside, the weather shining brightly.

“So when are you finally going to officially introduce that pretty boyfriend of yours?” Umma asks raising an eyebrow. I blushed at her question; still quite shaken that Kai’s my boyfriend.

“Soon…I promise.” I said smiling at her. She furrowed her eye brows and examined my face.

“Eunjae I know that look, something’s bothering you. What is it?” I sighed up in defeat and looked at her,

“I’m just worried about Tao. Why’s he acting like this?” She smiled at me and took a small sip of her tea. After some seconds she replied,

“Eunjae you should know more than I do, seeing as you and him are practically inseparable. He just came in around noon and went straight for his room, locking himself in.” I smiled, already knowing her answer would be something along those lines. I stared down at my tea, the steam still rising from its boiling waters.

Should I tell her about Kai cheating off of me? I’m well aware that it’s something everybody does at least once in their lifetime, but something about it feels off for me. Something isn’t sitting right in the pit of my stomach and I can’t seem to shake it off.

“Umma I…” I began but stopped halfway, seeing her head rise up to look at me. Her look didn’t waver and she looked at me like a real mother would to her daughter; a sense of pride. I bit my bottom lip in hesitation and held back my confession. Instead asking her,

“Wh-when do you want to meet Kai?” She examined me further. Oh no, she knows something’s wrong. She knows I cheated, she’s going to never trust me and it’ll be the end of it-

“You can bring him over whenever you want to Eunjae. Just…” She hesitated. It seems as if she was in the same position as I was, struggling to say something. She held herself back and replaced with whatever she planned to say with,

“Just be careful honey, I have yet to meet this boy and until then I still don’t approve let alone trust him.” I could only smile at her, glad to know she’s acting like any parent would.

She turned her attention back to the kids playing outside and laughed a hearty laugh, telling me,

“Did you see what Eunbyul just did?” I looked into the far distance and squinted my eyes, trying to make sense of the blurry image in front of me. My glasses were long gone at Everland Resort and I don’t want to be a bother about my vision, so I’m forced to squint.

Umma got up from her seat and held out her hand,

“Alright Eunjae if you continue squinting like that you’ll end up like that Brock fellow from Pokémon. Let’s go, we’re getting you a new pair of glasses.”

brock.jpg

I opened my mouth in protests, not wanting to be such a burden but she hushed me and said,

“No buts, I can’t stand seeing you squint like a blind old bat any longer. Let me get my car keys and purse and we’ll go.” I smiled and mouthed a thank you. I’m so glad to have met this woman in front of me, knowing she’s already done so much for me.

Which is what made it so much more harder for me to keep the secret from her. I know she won’t shout or raise her voice at me, put her look of disappointment will be more than I can ever handle. Besides, Kai said it would be a onetime thing and he won’t ever do again. I’m sure it’s not a big deal, it’s what girlfriends do right? Help out their boyfriends?

I hoped that was right and followed Umma behind, taking the tea cups back inside with me.